DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

What's going to collapse next...

TheCountOfNowhere

leonardratso
19 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

This one's just finished 750,000sqft

"Amazing aerial views of giant £90m warehouse for Felixstowe | Ipswich Star" https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/business/aerial-photos-of-new-uniserve-centre-for-felixstowe-8014204

Expecting lots more tat from China :CryBaby:

who is going to buy it any more? i actively remove it from buy lists, and a lot of other people i know deliberately do without if its only made in china. I suppose you dont really know where its made to be honest, thats obfuscated by ways and means, i suppose the reall problem is that its only made in china, expensive or not.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Bilbo said:

"Amazing aerial views of giant £90m warehouse for Felixstowe | Ipswich Star" https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/business/aerial-photos-of-new-uniserve-centre-for-felixstowe-8014204

A site between the road and the railway, 100 lorry bays indicates that there is no intention of a railway connection, 400m sidings available that connect to the dockside and mainline, "this ground-breaking, game-changing build" "a development that will make port-centric logistics at scale a reality" ,  it is just another large shed.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 2

8 hours ago, Bilbo said:

https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/yorkshire/news/2077053-400-jobs-to-be-created-as-logistics-business-opens-its-latest-site?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Yorkshire_17th_Jun_2021_Breaking

“It’s close to the M1 and reaches most of the UK in less than four-and-a-half hours. We’ll have the right place and people to continue to deliver and uphold the fast, reliable and accurate service our customers expect

I think we have to be careful with expecting these places to fall flat on their face. 
This is concentrated infrastructure building for a reason- all over the Uk these are popping up- I don’t think these are a mistake- over the past year these are everywhere - It must be a planned infrastructure move- what they’ll do- I don’t know- but these won’t be holding Chinese imports- might be for the unvaccinated?!

Edited by dnb24
  • Agree 2

On 17/03/2019 at 19:44, spygirl said:

Shop fitting used to be lucrative. I know loads of people, mainly chippies, who went into it, even for a short period, to crank up their earnings - weekend and night work. paying double.

It was also busy - shops were always reformatting, rebranding, refitting.

Now, the closest work is putting up big warehouses up and own the M1/A1.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57547389

"I've been working in logistics for 30 years and I've never seen demand like this," says Robin Woodbridge.

The company he works for, Prologis, owns and manages warehouse logistics parks across the UK.

They're building as fast as they can, but it's been a struggle to keep pace with the boom in online shopping in recent years.

And the pandemic has only served to accelerate the trend, making warehousing hot property.

Prologis's biggest park, known as Dirft, is just off the M1 near Northampton. You can see the big sheds towering over the fields from the motorway. It's a vast site with three rail freight terminals.

When you click to buy online, there's a good chance the product will start its journey here, whether that's baked beans, laptops, furniture or fashion.

Despite its size, it's not big enough.

Hundreds of construction workers are beavering away on expanding the site.

"We're building buildings speculatively, which means we haven't got a customer lined up, and we're letting them before we finish, something which doesn't happen very often," says Mr Woodbridge, who is head of capital deployment for the firm.

2 hours ago, spygirl said:

Warehouse workers.

Cant be far of robots moving the container around.

The Northern Echo had some videos from Amazon's new Durham warehouse last week - it is built around bringing the products to the picker rather than the picker walking to the product.

Along with the drive units it has developed, Amazon has created its very own "Robotic Safety Vest," which employees must wear when going into the field. 

On 17/06/2021 at 20:55, dnb24 said:

https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/yorkshire/news/2077053-400-jobs-to-be-created-as-logistics-business-opens-its-latest-site?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Yorkshire_17th_Jun_2021_Breaking

“It’s close to the M1 and reaches most of the UK in less than four-and-a-half hours. We’ll have the right place and people to continue to deliver and uphold the fast, reliable and accurate service our customers expect

I think we have to be careful with expecting these places to fall flat on their face. 
This is concentrated infrastructure building for a reason- all over the Uk these are popping up- I don’t think these are a mistake- over the past year these are everywhere - It must be a planned infrastructure move- what they’ll do- I don’t know- but these won’t be holding Chinese imports- might be for the unvaccinated?!

I agree.

The actual supermarkets are going to take a hammering, but folk will still want to eat. So Sainsbury's and Co will go on line, shed shelf packers and increase profits.

This Yellow Death has been something of a life saver for a lot of retailers :)

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, spygirl said:

Warehouse workers.

Cant be far of robots moving the container around.

We've had all this fuss about the working conditions of cheap labour in foreign parts and how we should bring them to our level.

Well we are, by lowering our working conditions to theirs.

Equality, innit.

stop_the_craziness
11 hours ago, eek said:

The Northern Echo had some videos from Amazon's new Durham warehouse last week - it is built around bringing the products to the picker rather than the picker walking to the product.

My organisation arranged a day trip for us all to the Amazon Warehouse in Essex.  It was like being in The Matrix.  I came home and had vivid nightmares for a couple of days, just like when I was nine years old and my class went on an ill-advised school trip to the London Dungeons.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 2
  • Cheers 1

The Grey Man

I know it has been mentioned elswhere. Morrisons.

Good on those who bought cheap.

I doubt the government will step in.

Another zombie companie ahead it seems. Struggle to see how such a big chain if it succumbs, is good for competition.

Appears to be a tale of two ex Tesco teams with Leahy fronting the US private equity zombification bid.

Sure Morrisons as a food producer, has lots of nice juicy assets to flog.

Heart's Ease
10 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

My organisation arranged a day trip for us all to the Amazon Warehouse in Essex.  It was like being in The Matrix.  I came home and had vivid nightmares for a couple of days, just like when I was nine years old and my class went on an ill-advised school trip to the London Dungeons.

Brownie trip c.1978 to London Dungeon/HMS Belfast. Still have nightmares about the person being crushed to death (increasing amounts of rocks placed on a board they were lying under) in the former and a weird mannequin ships dentist set up in the latter.  Revisited HMS Belfast in 2016ish and the blimmin mannequins were still there!

• Lol 2

22 hours ago, lid said:

JLR could be facing six weeks more downtime, due to the chip shortage, rumour has it

oof, I've been seeing a lot of JLR  people posting on LinkedIn about how they left JLR "after x years to pursue xyz, thank you blah blah blah" I think company is in shit and people are jumping.

• Informative 1

On 21/06/2021 at 10:06, spygirl said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57547389

"I've been working in logistics for 30 years and I've never seen demand like this," says Robin Woodbridge.

The company he works for, Prologis, owns and manages warehouse logistics parks across the UK.

They're building as fast as they can, but it's been a struggle to keep pace with the boom in online shopping in recent years.

And the pandemic has only served to accelerate the trend, making warehousing hot property.

Prologis's biggest park, known as Dirft, is just off the M1 near Northampton. You can see the big sheds towering over the fields from the motorway. It's a vast site with three rail freight terminals.

When you click to buy online, there's a good chance the product will start its journey here, whether that's baked beans, laptops, furniture or fashion.

Despite its size, it's not big enough.

Hundreds of construction workers are beavering away on expanding the site.

"We're building buildings speculatively, which means we haven't got a customer lined up, and we're letting them before we finish, something which doesn't happen very often," says Mr Woodbridge, who is head of capital deployment for the firm.

https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/yorkshire/news/2077419-europes-biggest-industrial-property-developer-plans-715000-sq-ft-scheme?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Yorkshire_24th_Jun_2021_Breaking

Panattoni, the largest industrial real estate developer in Europe, is working up plans to develop its biggest-ever speculative logistics building in the UK – a 630,000 sq ft facility in Rotherham.

The 630,000 sq ft facility will be built along with a smaller 85,000 sq ft facility by junction 1 of the M18 on a 40-acre site, which Panattoni has recently acquired from Stretton Denman.

Southern commercial (retail) real estate is beign destroyed by this stuff.

And the jobs too.

And the councils who 'invested'

Its gone; accept it.

• Agree 4

On 24/06/2021 at 10:06, spygirl said:

https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/yorkshire/news/2077419-europes-biggest-industrial-property-developer-plans-715000-sq-ft-scheme?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Yorkshire_24th_Jun_2021_Breaking

Panattoni, the largest industrial real estate developer in Europe, is working up plans to develop its biggest-ever speculative logistics building in the UK – a 630,000 sq ft facility in Rotherham.

The 630,000 sq ft facility will be built along with a smaller 85,000 sq ft facility by junction 1 of the M18 on a 40-acre site, which Panattoni has recently acquired from Stretton Denman.

Southern commercial (retail) real estate is beign destroyed by this stuff.

And the jobs too.

And the councils who 'invested'

Its gone; accept it.

I couldn't think of a better site if you tried to find one but it won't be speculative - that has Amazon's name all over it. 

All 3 recent North East Amazon warehouses were equally "speculative" developments. 

Edited by eek
  • Agree 1

leonardratso
20 minutes ago, Herby said:

Gap to close all UK stores.. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57670737

Gap to close all 81 stores in UK and Ireland
Published52 minutes ago

i thought they closed them years ago, man im out of date.

I best check see if my PR agent max clifford is still on his old number, i need to update myself quickly.

• Lol 1

On 24/06/2021 at 10:06, spygirl said:

Weird plans considering we'll all own nothing and be happy

• Lol 2