DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

How does Buy to Let END!

macca

What happens when generation rent retire with tiny pensions and massive rent bills!  

137 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

sleepwello'nights
43 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Housing PTB bring out the big guns - 

LIZ JONES: How eight years of renting drove me to drink, panic attacks and antidepressants

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12668115/LIZ-JONES-eight-years-renting-drove-drink-panic-attacks-antidepressants.html

76956401-12668115-image-a-1_169818248528

You first.

I got as far as "I spent £59,000 of my own money putting in heating and a new kitchen". Why on earth would anyone do that in a property they don't won. Surely that sort of money could buy a house outright in one of the old villages in the North East. 

OK maybe not the area where she would prefer to live, but as a temporary expedient until she was able to save enough to move to somewhere she preferred. Cut yiur cloth according to your means springs to mind. Still its given her some material for her article. 

Edited by sleepwello'nights
  • Agree 3

12 hours ago, sleepwello'nights said:

I got as far as "I spent £59,000 of my own money putting in heating and a new kitchen". Why on earth would anyone do that in a property they don't won.

A long term (lifetime maybe) tenanted family so fed up with their landlord not fixing the leaking roof repaired it themselves - full re-slate and timberwork and insulation. Said they believed their tenancy secure so worth doing. Landlords didn't take long to send round a surveyor and promptly the rent went up: "the house is worth more now and the new rent reflects that" story.. Tenants angrily left... house went on the market soon after.

But different to that woman's story, she'd hardly been in the place. Crazy to spend what she did.

Some of her renting stories resonate tbf.

13 hours ago, spygirl said:

The promise of banning S21 has done its jobs.

The heavy lifting of reversing IO BTL is being doe by S24 and higher IR.

S21 reforms is doign the job of scarign off banks from lending to LLs.

The constant on/off means they are even less keen.

Wish i had your faith on this one.

14 hours ago, spygirl said:

Housing PTB bring out the big guns - 

LIZ JONES: How eight years of renting drove me to drink, panic attacks and antidepressants

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12668115/LIZ-JONES-eight-years-renting-drove-drink-panic-attacks-antidepressants.html

76956401-12668115-image-a-1_169818248528

You first.

Liz Jones rings a bell name wise

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liz_Jones

At the beginning of January 2014, Jones became a contestant in Celebrity Big Brother 13 on Channel 5 TV with comedian Jim Davidson, rapper Dappy, boxer Evander Holyfield, among others.[34] She was evicted from the house on 22 January 2014 after receiving the fewest votes to remain.[35] Jones was declared bankrupt in May 2017.[36]

13 hours ago, sleepwello'nights said:

I got as far as "I spent £59,000 of my own money putting in heating and a new kitchen". Why on earth would anyone do that in a property they don't won. Surely that sort of money could buy a house outright in one of the old villages in the North East. 

OK maybe not the area where she would prefer to live, but as a temporary expedient until she was able to save enough to move to somewhere she preferred. Cut yiur cloth according to your means springs to mind. Still its given her some material for her article. 

See above,I'm not sure she's fully declared her interest

• Informative 1

sleepwello'nights
21 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

A long term (lifetime maybe) tenanted family so fed up with their landlord not fixing the leaking roof repaired it themselves - full re-slate and timberwork and insulation. Said they believed their tenancy secure so worth doing. Landlords didn't take long to send round a surveyor and promptly the rent went up: "the house is worth more now and the new rent reflects that" story.. Tenants angrily left... house went on the market soon after.

It wouldn't be unusual on a commercial full repairing lease but not usual on a residential lease. A tenant next to me in an industrial park relocated their shop fitting business to a larger unit elsewhere. They had fitted out the unit with partitions for offices and so on. It was done very well. When they vacated they asked the landlords agents whether to strip it out or leave it as it was. The agent said to leave it as it was. And then invoiced them for the cost of returning it to a bare shell!!!!

• Bogged 1

On 25/03/2019 at 00:30, macca said:

“What happens to generation rent!”

When they retire with tiny pensions and can no longer afford to pay their MASSIVE rent, never mind their food, gas, electric, water, council tax! 

The landlord will have had their houses paid for, but through the labour of their tenant..

Who pays/or doesn’t pay for the tenant to live thrive and survive? 

What if they need a nursing home? How do we fund that? They don’t have a house to sell? 

Can the tax payer afford to fund 100’000s/millions of poor tenants?  

image.png.2cf19131681863371f677464f84cfba9.png

@macca I have found the answer to your question:

image.thumb.png.d294503415c5f31ae476e47f8ab6bde4.png

image.png.caf87139918b60de955af57c0e35f4cb.png

• Agree 4
  • Bogged 2
  • Cheers 2

51 minutes ago, No One said:

image.png.2cf19131681863371f677464f84cfba9.png

@macca I have found the answer to your question:

image.thumb.png.d294503415c5f31ae476e47f8ab6bde4.png

image.png.caf87139918b60de955af57c0e35f4cb.png

https://www.thewestonmercury.co.uk/news/crime/20562107.married-nightclub-owner-found-guilty-assaulting-girlfriend/

The footage showed Siangolis pushing Ms Cowlin, causing her to fall to the ground in Royal Parade.

Siangolis, who used to train in martial arts, claimed he acted in self-defence as he thought she was going to spit at him. He insisted he used ‘zero force’.

Mr Withey said the pair had been friends for about eight years but Ms Cowlin had described Siangolis as her ‘boyfriend’. Before the incident, Ms Cowlin had told Siangolis she had felt ‘s***’ after seeing him with his wife and children in the bar earlier in the evening.

• Love / Hugz 1
  • Bogged 1
  • Lol 1

Small town fuckwits have 16 flats, mainly let on LHA.

IO BTL since 2005ish.

Now, almost 20y down, they cant afford the mortgage - cos they are all IO.

Running a ~500+?m lostt - 16 * 500 = 8k.

_Oridinarily, a business loan would last 10y.

When pressed for more information in the 41-minute interview he said: “I’m not whiter than white, and maybe I have broken the occasional marriage vow, but that doesn’t make me a woman beater.”

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/oct/26/people-falling-behind-on-mortgage-repayments-interest-rates-arrears

Oh the irony on the source.

More - 

Stephen McKeown, 61, homeowner

McKeown bought his three-bedroom house in Swindon in 2018 for £253,000 on a five-year fixed mortgage deal at 2.69% interest, and was comfortably able to afford repayments.

He managed to build up equity of about £155,000 in his property, but when he lost his job in conservation education during the pandemic, he started using savings to afford mortgage payments of about £1,200 a month.

“I’ve been unemployed since August 2020. It’s hard to find a job at my age. I apply for jobs on an almost daily basis … My savings ran out in April this year.”

Whys a ~58yo gettign a mortgage FFS??? 

“It’s been up for sale since May, but it’s a very difficult market. I dropped the asking price from offers over £325,000 to £300,000, and had an offer in July, but then the buyer pulled out, which left me adrift.

Mark, 56, homeowner

One unexpected vet bill meant Mark, a network engineer from Derbyshire, had to miss January’s mortgage repayment.

“I had to pay £2,000 as my dog had glaucoma and lost both her eyes at Christmas, so I missed one repayment of £760,” said the 56-year-old, who declined to give his full name.

Backto daft Sophie

One of their properties, Siangolis says, is on the market, “a tiny two-bed flat in Bristol”, but the couple have only had one viewing and no offers. Some of their properties are in negative equity as they were bought in 2007, before the global financial crash.

Edited by spygirl
  • Bogged 1
  • Lol 1
  • Cheers 1

Technically a 10m Euers...

https://www.landlordzone.co.uk/news/landlords-warned-to-check-tenancy-contracts-after-landmark-court-case

A judge has opened the door to higher compensation being paid by landlords if they fail to protect their tenants’ rental deposits within one of the official schemes.

The decision follows a judge’s remarks during a case between London landlord Pritpal Kohli and his two tenants Sandor Szorad and Eszter Kozma.

The tenants moved into their rented home in Hackney, East London (main picture) during late 2019 and paid a £1,326 deposit but moved out a year later. Their deposit was not returned and it transpired that Kohli had not protected the money.

Szorad and Kozma took Kohli to court for the return of their deposit and also to claim the standard compensation of three times the deposit (nearly £4,000) plus a second sum because Kohli had not protected the deposit a second time when their original tenancy rolled over to become a periodic tenancy - the pivotal part of the court case.

The judge agreed with the tenants, who could now receive some £10,000 including their original deposit.

• Lol 1
  • Cheers 1

Part time LL - Full time Retired
The penalties are excessively punitive where there has been no loss to tenants, particularly in relation to the statutory / contractual periodic tenancy, which is confusing for most people! I lost a deposit when an estate agent failed to ring fence tenants money, but spent it to keep his business afloat. I lost the whole deposit as it was 'my deposit' even though the EA had committed the theft
  • Lol 2

Bear with me.

Another one ive stumbled one, where the pitch != reality.

The pitch

How Pickard Properties went from a single rental property in 1968 to being the largest student landlord in Leeds

It’s funny how life turns out and a good example is Brian Pickard, who started working life as an electrician in a job that took him all over the country. After marrying his wife Barbara and having children, he was desperate to ditch his itinerant lifestyle so he could be permanently based in Leeds with his family.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/lifestyle/homes-and-gardens/how-pickard-properties-went-from-a-single-rental-property-in-1968-to-being-the-largest-student-landlord-in-leeds-4384768

Quite what he would do to earn a decent crust back in Yorkshire had not been decided and he was still scratching his head about it when he and Barbara hired a babysitter who also happened to be a university student.

“She told us how hard it was to find student accommodation and that’s when I thought having a rental property would be ideal because it was something I could manage from home,” says Brian.

The money for it came from remortgaging a bungalow he had built for his mum and in 1968, he and Barbara bought their first rental property in Rawdon, long before investing in a buy-to-let became mainstream for the masses. It turned out ok, though the couple swiftly realised that Rawdon wasn’t a student area and switched their attention to buying properties in Headingley and turning them into bedsits for students.

The rest, as they say, is history. Over the past 55 years, Pickard Properties has got bigger and better and is now the largest private student landlord in Leeds, and an early pioneer in the city’s now booming build to rent market.

It’s a far cry from the early days when Brian bought a milkround to supplement his income. “I got up at 5am to deliver the milk and I was finished by lunchtime so I had the afternoon to work on the properties,” he says. This, along with continually re-mortgaging the family home to buy more houses, turned a small enterprise into a large, thriving and well respected business.

Brian and Barbara have since been joined by their sons Miles and Simon, their daughter Catherine and her husband and the family is now celebrating its latest and largest ever development. Carlton Hill is a 604-bed, purpose-built and sustainable student apartment development, close to Leeds city centre.

That brings the Pickard Properties portfolio to 580 student rooms in shared houses, 1,000 in new, purpose-built student accommodation plus 200 built-to-rent houses and apartments, which includes those at Spinning Acres in Headingley.

Altogether, it has been over half a century of riding the ups and downs of the market. Low points included the Rent Act in the 1960s, which introduced regulated tenancies with “fair rents” set by independent rent officers. Whether they were fair or not, it was almost impossible for landlords to challenge them. The winter of discontent in 1978 was also difficult, though within 18 months there was a boom in home ownership.

“House prices almost doubled then so we went back to the bank and bought more properties,” says Brian, who remembers the days when no fridge, no central heating and no double glazing were the norm and safety certificates did not exist.

Burglaries were also commonplace in the early days and Brian deduced that the thieves were after TV’s. That receded when tellys became commonplace and less expensive. The Housing Act 1988 also brought better news for landlords when the government abolished the rent act so rents were unregulated.

Carrying on regardless through it all plus hard work, an entrepreneurial spirit and a great sense of humour are the secrets of the Pickards success, along with looking after their tenants. They have also been quick to pick up on trends and swift to adapt to new technology.

“We are happy to show students round in person but these days most of them want virtual tours and the ability to sign up for a property online,” they say.

Brian rates students as “good payers” estimating that 99 per cent pay their rents on time and in full, while professional tenants are less reliable, though Catherine adds: “The students come to us at the age of 18 or 19 having just left home and so they can sometimes be disorganised and we have to look after them.”

That’s something they won’t have to worry about with Carlton Hill. It will be leased and managed by the student charity and operator Unipol for the use of University of Leeds students.

It replaces a 239-bed student accommodation block owned by Pickard Properties , which was demolished to make way for this new contemporary scheme.

Designed by Halliday Clark Architects and built by GMI Construction, the project was managed by Fox Lloyd Jones with planning consultancy advice from Quod.

It is on one of the most sustainable new student schemes in the city having secured an EPC A rating, thanks to insulation, solar power and air source heat pumps.

The development has also been designed to encourage student wellbeing with social spaces for residents, larger than standard bedrooms and living spaces, a gym and “sky gardens” and a roof terrace.

The family is proud of it and, as ever, it was a team effort. “We still have weekly meetings. It was just us five including mum and dad and now it’s us and 25 staff,” says Catherine. As for what’s next, she adds: “Who knows? Dad still loves property shopping and looking for opportunities.”

• Informative 1

https://suite.endole.co.uk/insight/company/08964020-pickard-property-limited

Dissolved, not ther was fuck all there.

Now look for his name.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/08167450

Registered office address
Layton Hall Layton Road, Rawdon, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS19 6QZ
Company status
Active
Company type
Private limited Company
Incorporated on
3 August 2012

Accounts

Next accounts made up to 30 November 2023
due by 31 August 2024

Last accounts made up to 30 November 2022

Confirmation statement

Next statement date 3 August 2024
due by 17 August 2024

Last statement dated 3 August 2023

Again ... not 50y old.

Barely 10y old.

Lets have looky at the money - 

https://suite.endole.co.uk/insight/company/08167450-b-b-pickard-leeds-limited

• Informative 1

https://www.standard.co.uk/homesandproperty/buying-mortgages/london-buyers-market-ex-rental-sellers-b1117243.html

“In my price bracket at least, the bulk of sellers seem to be landlords, shifting unprepossessing, unloved properties, most of which need a good £100,000 spent on them. And I’m not looking for perfection, just an energy-efficient, well laid out, pleasantly liveable home. 

These homes aren’t shifting fast, but several estate agents I’ve been dealing with have suggested that they’ll likely sell to another landlord who can pay cash and so won’t be impacted by mortgage rate rises.”

An odd internal staff comment piece but rather surprising that was given green light to publish. It could all be made up mind you! Frustration at low transaction volumes (I don’t know how the Evening Standard is funded these days). It used to be fulL of property adverts

Edited by Ash4781b

From TOS.

‘Time to reintroduce mortgage income tax relief to curb rent rises`

https://www.propertywire.com/adviser-news/government-and-policy/time-to-reintroduce-mortgage-income-tax-relief-to-curb-rent-rises/

The loss of mortgage income tax relief is a key reason for rapid rental increases – and it’s about time the government reintroduced it.

Greg Tsuman, director of lettings at Martyn Gerrard Estate Agents and president of ARLA Propertymark, was responding to damning figures from the Office for National Statistics, which showed that rents have risen by over 10% annually across more than one in five properties in England and Wales, rising to one in four in London.

Since April 2020 buy-to-let landlords have had to pay tax on all their rental income, receiving a tax credit worth 20% of their mortgage interest repayments instead.

Tsuman said: “The Treasury seems to be overlooking the fact that it is eating the golden goose with the current tax structure imposed on private landlords.

“Section 24 of the Finance Act has forced landlords to pay taxes on turnover rather than just profit, meaning they are being taxed on interest payments, which have gone up from 0.1% to 5.25%. Whilst it will come as some relief to private landlords that the Bank of England kept the base interest rate frozen this week, rates are still high, forcing landlords to increase rents and ultimately pass on these costs to tenants. But the ranks of landlords who are staying is dwindling, with many opting to sell up and leave altogether, further reducing supply of rental properties and forcing rents up even higher.

“We need to urgently review the tax regime for private landlords and reintroduce mortgage interest relief by scrapping Section 24. Simply put, I suspect the Treasury would be raising considerably more revenue from the buy-to-let sector if it hadn’t forced this mass exodus of private landlords, resulting in fewer paying taxes.

“We need to be bringing landlords back to the market, not forcing them out, so that we have a competitive market that keeps rents low. It is encouraging to see the government apparently taking note of this by recently rejecting rent caps, but the root causes of the rental crisis are still firmly gripping the sector, and they will continue to do so until the government acts.”

Rental increases are particularly widespread in London, as three quarters (77%) of landlords in the capital increased rents.

Taxed on interest payments .....

And this moron is 

Greg Tsuman

President of ARLA Propertymark and Lettings Director at Martyn Gerrard Estate Agents

Where was he in 2015, when these changes were being introduced???

• Agree 1

https://www.property118.com/btl-landlords-in-mortgage-arrears-rockets-by-29/

BTL landlords in mortgage arrears rockets by 29%

0:01 AM, 10th November 2023, About 12 hours ago 1

Text Size  

The number of BTL landlords who are behind on their mortgage payments has rocketed by 29% in the last quarter, UK Finance says.

The trade body for lenders said that there were 11,540 buy to let mortgages in arrears in the third quarter of 2023.

The current arrears figure represents 0.57% of all outstanding BTL mortgages in England and Wales.

UK Finance said that the rise in arrears was driven by the impact of cost-of-living pressures and higher interest rates – and landlords might not be able to pass on higher costs to tenants.

Landlord repossessions rose by 11% in the third quarter of 2023, compared with the same period in 2022, with 450 properties repossessed.

‘Miserable situation for landlords who are losing money’

The president of trade body ARLA Propertymark and director of lettings at Martyn Gerrard, Greg Tsuman, told the BBC: “It’s a miserable situation for landlords who are losing money, renters who are paying extortionate rents, banks who are finding their loans are in arrears and HMRC isn’t even increasing its income due to the number of landlords leaving the market.

“No one is winning in the present situation.”

Ben Beadle, the chief executive of the National Residential Landlords Association (NRLA), said: “With the demand for rented housing massively outstripping supply, we need a healthy and vibrant private rented sector.

“Today’s figures from UK Finance are therefore extremely worrying.”
He added: “The Chancellor needs to undo the damage done by tax hikes on the sector and reinstate mortgage interest relief in full for the private rented sector.”

Keeping up with mortgage payments

Homeowners are also facing difficulties in keeping up with their mortgage payments with 87,930 homeowner mortgages in arrears, 7% more than the previous quarter.

This accounts for 1% of all outstanding residential mortgages.

The number is still much lower than the peak of 207,200 in the third quarter of 2009 during the financial crisis.

This, UK Finance says, reflects the benefits of lender stress tests that ensure borrowers can afford their mortgages even if interest rates rise.

‘Anyone worried about making their mortgage payments’

The managing director of personal finance at UK Finance, Eric Leenders, said: “Anyone worried about making their mortgage payments should contact their bank as soon as they can.

“All lenders have teams of experts ready to help anyone struggling with their mortgage payments with tailored support.

“The sooner you get in touch, the more support options your lender will be able to offer.”

‘Rate at which arrears is increasing’

Adam Oldfield, the chief revenue officer at Phoebus Software, said: “The rate at which arrears is increasing is the worrying statistic that is unlikely to fall in any time soon.

“As worrying as this increase may be to many, the number of possessions fell.  This shows the increased forbearance that lenders are showing to struggling borrowers.

“When you consider that lenders had to stress test borrowers up to 8% for almost all of the mortgages in existence today, the question is why is this happening?

“The answer, unfortunately, is most likely that the ultra-low interest environment that we have experienced over the last few years has led to a level of complacency. “

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

On 27/03/2019 at 09:52, spygirl said:

The LL that existed before IO BTL will still remain.

Put it context - the size of the UK PRS has quadrupled since 2004ish. 90% of these are leverage i.e. IO BTL mortgages.

These people will be lucky to espae solvent.

The slum lords will still exists. However, you really do have to be very very selective o ntenants and be present, daily, around your proprty.

Only way you can you can DSS private rental work in cheap places is to live very very close i..e so ou can visit/walk around alsmot daily. And youve got to be to afford to say No to ptential tenants.

I know of so many idiot Soothern LLS whove bought places way way and put Sharon 10 kids in, who the LHA were only to happy to get shot.

First rent - paid.

Second - nnpoe.

~10 months to get out, no money to go after.

Stepping back - all IO lending ends soon. The new basel rules make IO mortgage very very expensive for a bank.

You can see the change ow - S24 is gettign rid of IO BTL idiots.

RIO 'mortgages' are mopping up the over 65 IO mortgage loons.

Under 55? IO mortgage? You are fucked. And rightly so.

The main takers for IO debt has been IO BTL and people in London/.SE.

From the 1st page of this thread.

• Agree 2
  • Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, spygirl said:

https://www.property118.com/btl-landlords-in-mortgage-arrears-rockets-by-29/

0:01 AM, 10th November 2023, About 12 hours ago 1

Text Size  

The number of BTL landlords who are behind on their mortgage payments has rocketed by 29% in the last quarter, UK Finance says.

The trade body for lenders said that there were 11,540 buy to let mortgages in arrears in the third quarter of 2023.

The current arrears figure represents 0.57% of all outstanding BTL mortgages in England and Wales.

UK Finance said that the rise in arrears was driven by the impact of cost-of-living pressures and higher interest rates – and landlords might not be able to pass on higher costs to tenants.

Landlord repossessions rose by 11% in the third quarter of 2023, compared with the same period in 2022, with 450 properties repossessed.

‘Miserable situation for landlords who are losing money’

The president of trade body ARLA Propertymark and director of lettings at Martyn Gerrard, Greg Tsuman, told the BBC: “It’s a miserable situation for landlords who are losing money, renters who are paying extortionate rents, banks who are finding their loans are in arrears and HMRC isn’t even increasing its income due to the number of landlords leaving the market.

“No one is winning in the present situation.”

Ben Beadle, the chief executive of the National Residential Landlords Association (NRLA), said: “With the demand for rented housing massively outstripping supply, we need a healthy and vibrant private rented sector.

“Today’s figures from UK Finance are therefore extremely worrying.”
He added: “The Chancellor needs to undo the damage done by tax hikes on the sector and reinstate mortgage interest relief in full for the private rented sector.”

Keeping up with mortgage payments

Homeowners are also facing difficulties in keeping up with their mortgage payments with 87,930 homeowner mortgages in arrears, 7% more than the previous quarter.

This accounts for 1% of all outstanding residential mortgages.

The number is still much lower than the peak of 207,200 in the third quarter of 2009 during the financial crisis.

This, UK Finance says, reflects the benefits of lender stress tests that ensure borrowers can afford their mortgages even if interest rates rise.

‘Anyone worried about making their mortgage payments’

The managing director of personal finance at UK Finance, Eric Leenders, said: “Anyone worried about making their mortgage payments should contact their bank as soon as they can.

“All lenders have teams of experts ready to help anyone struggling with their mortgage payments with tailored support.

“The sooner you get in touch, the more support options your lender will be able to offer.”

‘Rate at which arrears is increasing’

Adam Oldfield, the chief revenue officer at Phoebus Software, said: “The rate at which arrears is increasing is the worrying statistic that is unlikely to fall in any time soon.

“As worrying as this increase may be to many, the number of possessions fell.  This shows the increased forbearance that lenders are showing to struggling borrowers.

“When you consider that lenders had to stress test borrowers up to 8% for almost all of the mortgages in existence today, the question is why is this happening?

“The answer, unfortunately, is most likely that the ultra-low interest environment that we have experienced over the last few years has led to a level of complacency. “

I suspect a thte minute you have a lot of the smaller LL's subsidizng the rent or staying out of stage 3 due to a fix still running.This 29% is likely to exacerbate next year as fixes end and/or unemplyoemnt rises.

• Agree 3

5 hours ago, sancho panza said:

.This 29% is likely to exacerbate next year as fixes end and/or unemplyoemnt rises.

No doubt true, but I'm surprised at how few (0.57%) BTL mortgages are in arrears.

• Agree 1