DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Property crash, just maybe it really is different this time

haroldshand

With a crooked smile
1 minute ago, belfastchild said:

Neighbour is the same (not HSBC), told me yesterday that they are starting to exclude bank earnings from NHS applicants. Nurses etc who use their days off to work shift for agencies. Was always included in the past, now seen as temporary earnings which arent guaranteed.
If they are excluding those, which are pretty much guaranteed due to shortages etc, then something is up.

I found that sort of statement to be mostly bollocks. I was told the same about RSUs by the mortgage company. Guess what RSUs or in the case of nhs bank hours turn up as cash on your P60. The mortgage company then told me that they would average my earnings based on p60s for the last 3 years. As I'd been getting RSUs for the last 3 years in effect they did lend against them. It'll be the same for nhs staff.

• Informative 1

belfastchild
1 minute ago, With a crooked smile said:

I found that sort of statement to be mostly bollocks. I was told the same about RSUs by the mortgage company. Guess what RSUs or in the case of nhs bank hours turn up as cash on your P60. The mortgage company then told me that they would average my earnings based on p60s for the last 3 years. As I'd been getting RSUs for the last 3 years in effect they did lend against them. It'll be the same for nhs staff.

Just reporting what I was told, payslips are being asked for and asked for them to separate out into full time and bank ones.

• Informative 1

haroldshand
6 minutes ago, belfastchild said:

Neighbour is the same (not HSBC), told me yesterday that they are starting to exclude bank earnings from NHS applicants. Nurses etc who use their days off to work shift for agencies. Was always included in the past, now seen as temporary earnings which arent guaranteed.
If they are excluding those, which are pretty much guaranteed due to shortages etc, then something is up.

I remember back in the early 1990's having just come of the forces and attending a skillcentre full time for a year and a half and then just getting a job as an electrical improver with my Electrical  I&M Part 1 and 2.  Myself and my then gorgeous girlfriend did not have a pot to piss in besides a deposit for a 3 bedroom Victorian Terrace , it was brilliant.

All that done on a my full wage as an inexperienced sparks and my girlfriends part time wage(she was studying still), I moaned a little back then but I look back now and realise how lucky I was compared to the poor sods today

• Agree 3
  • Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, With a crooked smile said:

I know he has a degree, his wife is a teaching assistant. Yes he's on a good salary. We all are in SaaS. And that's the point really. Lots of people go on about average wage here. The reality is there are plenty of people under 40 that can afford and are buying houses all over the country without government schemes. 

I welcome alternative (or should that be mainstream?) points of view. I was wrong in 2004 about the scale of the forthcoming HPC. Those who said the government wouldn't let it happen were right. I truly underestimated the burden that the government was willing to inflict on future generations.

Having said that you are conflating the circumstances of an individual with the circumstances of plenty.  Averages, by definition, are more representative than exceptions.

I could argue that plenty have bought houses that they cannot afford. If they pay them off then my argument was wrong.

I don't know how this will all pan out, but I do feel than the can has been kicked close to the end of the road now.

My concern is that governments have proven their recklessness. What will they do next?

• Informative 1

haroldshand

Nationwide data out next week.

If this one doesn't show any kind of downward momentum then that's going to be puzzler for me(yet again), the stress is there if there is  any has to start appearing soon

• Agree 1

haroldshand
2 minutes ago, Formerly said:

I welcome alternative (or should that be mainstream?) points of view. I was wrong in 2004 about the scale of the forthcoming HPC. Those who said the government wouldn't let it happen were right. I truly underestimated the burden that the government was willing to inflict on future generations.

Having said that you are conflating the circumstances of an individual with the circumstances of plenty.  Averages, by definition, are more representative than exceptions.

I could argue that plenty have bought houses that they cannot afford. If they pay them off then my argument was wrong.

I don't know how this will all pan out, but I do feel than the can has been kicked close to the end of the road now.

My concern is that governments have proven their recklessness. What will they do next?

I personally started taking an interest in all this around 2015 and I know some go back far longer, but back in 2015 the debt I thought/assumed people were taking on was insane and had to be at breaking point. No matter how broken the property market appears to look it never stops shocking you and this time I feel that mass immigration and population is making a massive difference.

If it's not going to start happening in the next few months it is never going to happen IMO

• Agree 1

With a crooked smile
3 minutes ago, Formerly said:

Sure I guess one of my points is that averages are largely irrelevant because going forward with continued immigration not everyone will own a house.

Will there be a HPC in the short term 3 ish years? Possibly I doubt prices will go down by much more that 10% due to pent up demand. I also think the hybrid work environment means that cheaper areas of the country will continue to rise due to migration from SE.

• Informative 1

2 minutes ago, haroldshand said:

I personally started taking an interest in all this around 2015 and I know some go back far longer, but back in 2015 the debt I thought/assumed people were taking on was insane and had to be at breaking point. No matter how broken the property market appears to look it never stops shocking you and this time I feel that mass immigration and population is making a massive difference.

If it's not going to start happening in the next few months it is never going to happen IMO

Mostly I agree. Never is a very long timeframe though.

haroldshand
1 minute ago, Formerly said:

Mostly I agree. Never is a very long timeframe though.

As I typed it yes I did realise:)

Anytime soon I should have said

With a crooked smile
18 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Bit of help here please - this chart means I own the house at the end right? 

Capture.PNG

Yes it does really. It all depends on your appetite for risk. The most recent sales local to  me where someone bought a property 20 odd years ago and sold recently. 

You could have had a very good family home on IO and then downsized once the kids are older and even helped them out with a deposit. 

Many on here are over cautious imo.

Screenshot_20220723-120045_Chrome.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

With a crooked smile
2 hours ago, Bus Stop Boxer said:

Somebody on this thread is getting a little twitchy.

Let England Shake.xD

Haha just seen what you did there and no not twitchy at all. The twitchy one is the guy you see multiple times a day posting in this thread and running websites constantly monitoring house prices. What a way to live.

I only check in here on this thread one or twice a week. Look at my posting history. I'm more interested in off topic and the state of the nasdaq.

• Agree 1

haroldshand
2 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Bit of help here please - this chart means I own the house at the end right? 

Capture.PNG

Would not surprise me is their people who actually thought that for real

haroldshand
2 hours ago, With a crooked smile said:

Haha just seen what you did there and no not twitchy at all. The twitchy one is the guy you see multiple times a day posting in this thread and running websites constantly monitoring house prices. What a way to live.

I only check in here on this thread one or twice a week. Look at my posting history. I'm more interested in off topic and the state of the nasdaq.

If you are supposed to be getting "twitchy" because of the fear of prices falling soon then I think you are in little danger in the short term

No sign of a crash round my way (Hertfordshire). Were looking to buy a 3 bed place and can barely get a viewing. Anything decent value is under offer after 3-4 days, even stuff that I consider overpriced or that needs massive reno is selling. It's a very desirable town, but even so the property market is red hot and nothing is sitting around for long.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Don Coglione
On 22/07/2022 at 10:13, HousePriceMania said:

The Isle Of Man is one region of Britain the UKPL tracks but the number of listings are so low it's not worth following...although I am starting to see a trend.

image.png.dc556a02afd71215359374751a4f79f2.png

image.png.24477e7be9d484aaaba503f5b3f6bb81.png

I get the feeling this is significant.

https://www.globalwitness.org/en/campaigns/tax-haven-next-door/

Why would people be selling up in a tax haven, anyone have any theories ?

Oh dear...

With a crooked smile
35 minutes ago, Hardhat said:

No sign of a crash round my way (Hertfordshire). Were looking to buy a 3 bed place and can barely get a viewing. Anything decent value is under offer after 3-4 days, even stuff that I consider overpriced or that needs massive reno is selling. It's a very desirable town, but even so the property market is red hot and nothing is sitting around for long.

Pretty much reflects what I hear at work from people all over the country who are looking to buy. 

• Agree 1

sleepwello'nights

A couple I know had several viewings when their house was listed at the beginning of July. They accepted an offer £15k above the asking price of £450k on the second day. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

It's actually really annoying. We are early 30s, 100k+ household income and large deposit but we literally can't find anything to buy or are instantly outbid. 

However there is very, very little coming on thr market in the town we live in, less than 10 properties transacting a month, so anyone who wants to live here has little choice, which I think explains the mad competition for every property. When you walk around town there are loads of houses having work done/ extensions which I assume is instead of selling up for a bigger place.

Higher prices on lower volume can also be a sign of an impending correction.

Just anecdotal.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

The Grey Man

I moved to my red neck area of S Manchester about 5 years ago.

Set the local top briefly. After a year several houses were up for sale and this continued.

For ever increasing prices. Decreasing time scale to sale.

Untill about 4 months ago. A nice half done up Edwardian Semi with cellars. I guess a 30 m garden at the back hasn't shifted. 300k. Way below the Zoopla's price orgasmatron site.

Not the complete picture. A cheaper, more manageable house, mid 60's at a guess sold quick. My feeling that was the last though.

No current residents.

• Informative 2

Napoleon Dynamite
On 23/07/2022 at 08:18, AyrshireBoy said:

A friend is a mortgage advisor with HSBC who are known for tighter lending criteria. She told me this week thats she's never seen so many applications being knocked back and AIPs are worthless now.

22 hours ago, belfastchild said:

I'm currently extending a mortgage with HSBC and I can see they're being even tighter now (than the previous two times I've been through the process with them).

They no longer allow Child Benefit on the income calculation as it won't be paid the entire term of the mortgage.  I think they always used to allow it.

They sent a valuer round too, that's a first.  He down valued by 10%.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 6

On 23/07/2022 at 08:18, AyrshireBoy said:

A friend is a mortgage advisor with HSBC who are known for tighter lending criteria. She told me this week thats she's never seen so many applications being knocked back and AIPs are worthless now.

AIP  have always been worthless.

Just an indication.