DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Property crash, just maybe it really is different this time

haroldshand

belfastchild
2 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Nobody I know is thinking about moving for the forseeable - most of my mates are in the houses they intend to spend the rest of their lives in.

In my circle of friends/family, other than people moving home from england or to england for work, almost everyone has been in the first house they bought (and for at least 15 years). Most have just built on (including me) as moving and looking etc was such a ball ache the first time!
I know a few people who have moved to a bigger house from the one they first bought but in every case its been after they got married with kids on the way and have stayed/are staying there until the kids leave home (if ever).

• Informative 2

6 minutes ago, belfastchild said:

In my circle of friends/family, other than people moving home from england or to england for work, almost everyone has been in the first house they bought (and for at least 15 years). Most have just built on (including me) as moving and looking etc was such a ball ache the first time!

Well there ya go - the housing ladder is basically a boomer thing. This generation maybe have one move in their lifetime, if that.

EDIT: I'd add that not only are most of my peers not moving house, they bought when prices crashed 10 years ago (through pure luck of getting married around that time) and many couldn't afford the house they're in now at today's prices.

Edited by JoeDavola
  • Agree 2

Just now, belfastchild said:

Royal Navy surplus suppliers?

Also, 300 fucking K basically, with only two useable bedrooms - but hey you can say you live in Ardenlee dont-cha-know...

sancho panza
26 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Well there ya go - the housing ladder is basically a boomer thing. This generation maybe have one move in their lifetime, if that.

EDIT: I'd add that not only are most of my peers not moving house, they bought when prices crashed 10 years ago (through pure luck of getting married around that time) and many couldn't afford the house they're in now at today's prices.

I was at a play group with the littlest panza yesterday.Overheard one of the grandmas talking to a young girl who was selling her hosue and giving  it the 'they're flying off the shelf where i am' routine.

Chatted to the young lass later  and was talking to her about various issues,not least the huge drop in transaction volumes.

A lot of the older end see SSTC as sold.but we all know it isn't.Especailly when people start pricing mortgages and this is before we start seeing some BS's going under or constraining new lending because stage 2 debts are building up

we're near covid lows in the postcodes around me. backing up your theory that there's a big mexican stand off between market buyers/vendors.

Dec 19vs Dec 23 =79vs 39

image.png.d107e87afec45089bdfdff3d8a530514.png

Dec 19 vs Dec 23=59 vs 40

image.png.7cb6c62ac327484508a43f2a57200d17.png

Dec 19 vs Dec 23 =67 vs 29

image.png.9a0c48924c12cad73982ac6a4f368d5a.png

85 vs 47

image.png.18c8b5caeb93d6962cfe34e739542927.png

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

belfastchild
6 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Too fucking rich for this prod anyway!

Everybody in Belfast wants to live near their ma. Its why houses in Cregagh/Andytown etc, old, cold victorian houses with no parking or drive shoehorned out of the front garden go for ridiculous money.
People who bought near me at the top of the prices both tell different stories. He drives over 25 miles each day to work, she is proud  she can see her mas house from the front window. Thats why they had to have that house and bid fucking stupid money for it - first time buyers.

The parents (like yours) are worse, 'oh thats a dump of a place to live', well it must be a fucking sight as you live in fucking cregagh/andytown!

People in England dont understand, other than in the likes of Liverpool where people are still very much family orientated. You get pockets of stupidly priced houses because everyone is outbidding to live next to their mas!

I moved to a mixed area because I didnt want to have anything to do with that shite and having a 'mixed' partner probably the best place for us. The fact that neither of us came from there fitted in with pretty much everyone else buying in that area. Over time where I live has become probably more catholic primarily because the daughters of the people who live next door (analogy) are bidding on the house 5 doors down the street and must have something next to their ma.

And dont fucking say you arent doing the same, you are looking at houses within what? 10 mins walk of your parents ffs ;-)

I was fucking gutted when my sister moved up closer, closely followed by my ma and da. Fuck me my sister moved to England and rented 5 doors down from my brother until they bought something there, luckily a bit further out due to work.

Thats also the problem with the North Coast, as english people move over, outbid the locals then more english (fucking immigrants). Fuck me I even see Tories standing here in the local elections. Fuck away off back to England the lot of you!

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2
  • Lol 2

leonardratso

is it like mrs browns boys?

Everyone popping in every 10 minutes to steal biscuits and tea.

• Lol 1

Frank Hovis

As discussed in this thread if the government brings in the proposed new private rental legislation as a big bang I would expect huge numbers of properties to be dumped into the market so causing a price crash.

• Agree 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, belfastchild said:

Everybody in Belfast wants to live near their ma.

And everyone's ma wants them to live near them, even if the houses are over twice as expensive now even inflation adjusted.

My Mum agrees that houses are a rip off near her and Dad, are a rip off in places like the Four Winds, and BT9 and agrees that I shouldn't buy a city centre apartment. So that's East, Central, South Belfast out of bounds. And obviously North and West are out of bounds as they're full of those 'orrible Catholics :D

When I say I'm considering moving somewhere a decent train-ride (40-ish mins) from Belfast so I can get a modest detached, she goes "oh no don't be moving that far away".

"So where do you suggest I DO move then Mum?"

*blank stare* followed by "WELL I DON'T KNOW DO I! JUST NOT THERE!"

;)

Edited by JoeDavola
  • Lol 1

And dont fucking say you arent doing the same, you are looking at houses within what? 10 mins walk of your parents ffs ;-)

It's also why my parents will never move IMO because they don't want to move more than a mile away from where they are, both having spent their enire lives including childhoods within the same 3 mile radius of Belfast.

‘I’ll never vote Tory again’: How the Conservatives betrayed buy-to-let Britain

• Party turns its back on loyal supporters in an effort to woo younger voters

Landlords say they are being made scapegoats for years of failed housing policy as new legislation is tipped to drive thousands more to sell up. Conservatives will hope that the Renters' Reform Bill, which will be introduced to Parliament today, will be a Generation Rent vote-winner. But it is the latest blow for landlords who have seen returns whittled away in recent years, as tax breaks were taken away from them and interest rates have soared. A cornerstone of the legislation is the scrapping of Section 21, or ‘no-fault’ evictions, which will make it harder for landlords to remove tenants who refuse to pay rent or trash the property...

Special pleading from the property owners, which seems to be falling on deaf ears.

(Todays telegraph https://archive.is/0ig0X)

Meanwhile Starmer:

It really looks like house prices are getting sacrificed, IMO both parties trying to outdo each other on it is so the young don't feel the need to actually to out and vote.

• Agree 3

Everybody in Belfast wants to live near their ma. Its why houses in Cregagh/Andytown etc, old, cold victorian houses with no parking or drive shoehorned out of the front garden go for ridiculous money.
People who bought near me at the top of the prices both tell different stories. He drives over 25 miles each day to work, she is proud  she can see her mas house from the front window. Thats why they had to have that house and bid fucking stupid money for it - first time buyers.

The parents (like yours) are worse, 'oh thats a dump of a place to live', well it must be a fucking sight as you live in fucking cregagh/andytown!

People in England dont understand, other than in the likes of Liverpool where people are still very much family orientated. You get pockets of stupidly priced houses because everyone is outbidding to live next to their mas!

I moved to a mixed area because I didnt want to have anything to do with that shite and having a 'mixed' partner probably the best place for us. The fact that neither of us came from there fitted in with pretty much everyone else buying in that area. Over time where I live has become probably more catholic primarily because the daughters of the people who live next door (analogy) are bidding on the house 5 doors down the street and must have something next to their ma.

I was fucking gutted when my sister moved up closer, closely followed by my ma and da. Fuck me my sister moved to England and rented 5 doors down from my brother until they bought something there, luckily a bit further out due to work.

Thats also the problem with the North Coast, as english people move over, outbid the locals then more english (fucking immigrants). Fuck me I even see Tories standing here in the local elections. Fuck away off back to England the lot of you!

i did wonder about moving to Derry a couple of years back. But being married to a Dublin Prod (for 46 years now) I wondered if it was a wise idea. Funny enough I was eyeing up a house in the same street as one of my surviving aunts.

The other thing that put me off was the NI MOT. I've heard it can be a PITA, some people with interesting cars being in the habit of popping over to Scotland at MOT time.

• Lol 1

2 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Honest question, does anyone actually like the all-grey decor you see in modern renovations like this:

image.thumb.png.91db337b4e070b82105df24b3ea6cf91.png

Source: https://www.propertypal.com/37-ardenlee-parade-belfast/833060

The subway tiles and battleship grey kitchen look is a bit 2010.

I'm waiting for the day when coloured LED strips are out of fashion as they're ghastly IMPO.

What is the point in lighting up that part of floor by the kickboards? Never understood it.

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, spunko said:

The subway tiles and battleship grey kitchen look is a bit 2010.

I'm waiting for the day when coloured LED strips are out of fashion as they're ghastly IMPO.

What is the point in lighting up that part of floor by the kickboards? Never understood it.

Looks a bit chav-ish to me. Give a chav some money and this is what they come up with.

Ironic if the kitchen looks dated as I thnk it's quite a recent renovation.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, spunko said:

It would probably be handy to get a glass of water or let the dog out for a piss in the middle of the night without putting a big light on, but that is incredibly niche.

HousePriceMania
25 minutes ago, Axeman123 said:

Special pleading from the property owners, which seems to be falling on deaf ears.

(Todays telegraph https://archive.is/0ig0X)

Meanwhile Starmer:

It really looks like house prices are getting sacrificed, IMO both parties trying to outdo each other on it is so the young don't feel the need to actually to out and vote.

image.png.1cead53f54b482b21a0dd76d948d74e3.png

• Lol 2

belfastchild
1 hour ago, JoeDavola said:

It's also why my parents will never move IMO because they don't want to move more than a mile away from where they are, both having spent their enire lives including childhoods within the same 3 mile radius of Belfast.

So if the area has more than 2 kids per family thats more and more people competing for the same amount of houses, seeing as there is bugger all room in inner belfast....
..so then you get the people moving to the 3 mile radius of their side of outer Belfast and the cycle repeats.

42 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

i did wonder about moving to Derry a couple of years back. But being married to a Dublin Prod (for 46 years now) I wondered if it was a wise idea. Funny enough I was eyeing up a house in the same street as one of my surviving aunts.

The other thing that put me off was the NI MOT. I've heard it can be a PITA, some people with interesting cars being in the habit of popping over to Scotland at MOT time.

I much prefer the MOT here, 4 years instead of 3 and you arent at the mercy of a garage. If it fails here, theres no real vested interest. If it passes its to a reasonable standard so not driving round in something someone overlooked. Saying that Ive got a few things through before where Ive thought 'what the fuck?'. You wont get away with anything dodgy except emissions stuff as they dont have the kit to test it on diesels.

I like Derry but I dont live there. Ive good friends from Derry but none of them live there either... hold on...

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Honest question, does anyone actually like the all-grey decor you see in modern renovations like this:

image.thumb.png.91db337b4e070b82105df24b3ea6cf91.png

Source: https://www.propertypal.com/37-ardenlee-parade-belfast/833060

I'm OK with the grey, but what's that Neon blue floor lighting all about, to illiminate the crumbs or Cockroaches?....I suppose it's great if you wear your trousers half way down your ar$e and have 'pimped up' 205!

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, sancho panza said:

I was at a play group with the littlest panza yesterday.Overheard one of the grandmas talking to a young girl who was selling her hosue and giving  it the 'they're flying off the shelf where i am' routine.

Chatted to the young lass later  and was talking to her about various issues,not least the huge drop in transaction volumes.

A lot of the older end see SSTC as sold.but we all know it isn't.Especailly when people start pricing mortgages and this is before we start seeing some BS's going under or constraining new lending because stage 2 debts are building up

we're near covid lows in the postcodes around me. backing up your theory that there's a big mexican stand off between market buyers/vendors.

Dec 19vs Dec 23 =79vs 39

image.png.d107e87afec45089bdfdff3d8a530514.png

Dec 19 vs Dec 23=59 vs 40

image.png.7cb6c62ac327484508a43f2a57200d17.png

Dec 19 vs Dec 23 =67 vs 29

image.png.9a0c48924c12cad73982ac6a4f368d5a.png

85 vs 47

image.png.18c8b5caeb93d6962cfe34e739542927.png

What's the software/site that you use for these figure @sancho panza?

3 hours ago, belfastchild said:

What are you saying, @JD is a bit of a 'Mummys boy'?...I always had him down as a 'Mans man'!.....:-)