DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Property crash, just maybe it really is different this time

haroldshand

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

I thought your calling a Lockdown crash was premature and I'm not anyway calling a crash now; though maybe, who knows.

If anything had me believing that we were on the eve of a property crash it was the pandemic, before that I was totally at odds with ToS, the last 18 months have been an eye opener for me and my shock at people having more money than I ever imagined with most of the personal debt held by a completely different section of society than I thought, the section that had no influence in causing a property crash and who were living hand to mouth in rented for example.

• Agree 2

AlfredTheLittle
2 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Nothing in there about removing the tax incentives for holiday lets (mortgage interest deductible for holiday lets, entrepreneurs relief when selling, and more). Just more smoke and mirrors while they feather their own nests.

• Agree 2

43 minutes ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

Nothing in there about removing the tax incentives for holiday lets (mortgage interest deductible for holiday lets, entrepreneurs relief when selling, and more). Just more smoke and mirrors while they feather their own nests.

Jenrick doesnt have the authority to remove such incentives.

The Tories are handing the next election to Labour imho, in 2019 the imbalances in society had gone way too far, its surreal that they've pushed things even further.

Edited by Hancock
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

Its the small biz  rate relief and lack of planning permission.

Bring those in and most new FHL are fucked.

Bobthebuilder
6 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Its the small biz  rate relief and lack of planning permission.

Bring those in and most new FHL are fucked.

I presume that would be mostly Airbnb’s?

I must say that I don't really get the Airbnb thing. The ones I look at in my rural area of choice seem to be more expensive than the Inns / hotels, someone even cooks you breakfast and makes your bed for less money.

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I presume that would be mostly Airbnb’s?

I must say that I don't really get the Airbnb thing. The ones I look at in my rural area of choice seem to be more expensive than the Inns / hotels, someone even cooks you breakfast and makes your bed for less money.

Airbnb are all FHL- or should be.

I'd not touch an airbnb.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, spygirl said:

Airbnb are all FHL- or should be.

I'd not touch an airbnb.

I have looked at them throughout summer and most of them can go f*** themselves, though I do agree that there are some great spots in the UK to visit most of them are just now taking the piss. The ones that crack me up are in say the Lakes or Northumberland where you get someone with a manky old 30 year caravan that you can pick for a few hundred quid and they stick it in their back garden and call it "retro" and want £1000's for a holiday. 

I have a friend/customer in my Village who has prime rentals in Padstow that were making a fortune pre pandemic, now only the rich can possibly afford them.

This year I have just had plenty of long weekends and visited family and friends who are I know are in good spots and maybe  in October I will risk a break in Portugal 

18 minutes ago, haroldshand said:

I have looked at them throughout summer and most of them can go f*** themselves, though I do agree that there are some great spots in the UK to visit most of them are just now taking the piss. The ones that crack me up are in say the Lakes or Northumberland where you get someone with a manky old 30 year caravan that you can pick for a few hundred quid and they stick it in their back garden and call it "retro" and want £1000's for a holiday. 

I have a friend/customer in my Village who has prime rentals in Padstow that were making a fortune pre pandemic, now only the rich can possibly afford them.

This year I have just had plenty of long weekends and visited family and friends who are I know are in good spots and maybe  in October I will risk a break in Portugal 

Quick Google-

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/33039137?source_impression_id=p3_1630831912_j0f96ddud8jrO6pc

Nice bedroom cum TV room cum kitchen.

We welcome you to our lovely home on a quiet street. Free WiFi is available on property. We have two dogs, Bella the pug and Maximus the Akita. My daughter Rebecca and newborn grandson Ronnie also live on the property along with myself. We have provided tea and coffee in the room along with kettle and microwave and a range of snack items. Storage for belongings and towels provided.

Other things to note

There is a camera in the living area that senses motion and sound and records at all times. We use this for our pets but like to make guests aware. Bella the pug is a laid back dog however max is still a puppy and in training and can be boystress and jumpy but will not harm anyone. He can be put in another room when guests come downstairs if they feel more comfortable with this

I should point out that this us the 1st one that came up searching Airbnb fir Redcar.

I think the guests - and grandson are ok til Max eats thru the walls.

About this breed

The largest breed in the Utility group originates in Japan where he was developed for hunting for bear, deer and wild boar and, unfortunately, was also used in fighting competitions. The Akita as we see it today was developed in America, becoming stronger in bone and substance and makes an impressive sight. Like many of the Japanese breeds, brilliant and clear coat colours are much valued

Due to their famous reputation for loyalty and bonding strongly with their families, and their large, impressive appearance, many people desire to keep an Akita as a family pet, both within the UK and further afield. However, it is fair to say that the Akita is a challenging dog to keep in terms of its training, management and temperament, and the decision to buy an Akita should not be entered into lightly. Within the UK, the Japanese Akita is listed as one of the breeds of dog most likely to be surrendered to rehoming shelters due to their owners not being able to manage them, so fully researching the breed prior to deciding that the Akita is right for you is vitally important.

In this article, we will provide a basic insight into the temperament and training requirements of this large, intelligent dog breed.

General temperament traits

The Japanese Akita is renowned for being a very territorial dog, and will view their home, garden and other areas they visit regularly as part of their territory, and may be very defensive about them with strangers. In some countries, breed-specific legislation controls or prohibits ownership of the Akita for safety reasons, and while this is not the case within the UK, it is worth bearing in mind to ensure that you know what you are getting into and do not bite off more than you can chew!

They are very loyal to their immediate family and handlers, however, and are strongly protective of the people in their pack, particularly children; although they may also try to take the dominant role over the little people too!

Hosted by Melanie

Joined in September 2016

72 Reviews

Identity verified

I'm a professional lady with a bright and breezy outlook on life. I love hosting and making people feel comfortable. I have a VW camper van and enjoy wild camping whenever I can. To relax I like to cook and entertain. I have dogs. One pug called Bella and one American Akita named Maximus. My 25 year old daughter rebecca lives here with me and helps me host our guests

Theres are large number of people around boro whod read that totally different - or how she wants to.

3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Quick Google-

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/33039137?source_impression_id=p3_1630831912_j0f96ddud8jrO6pc

Nice bedroom cum TV room cum kitchen.

We welcome you to our lovely home on a quiet street. Free WiFi is available on property. We have two dogs, Bella the pug and Maximus the Akita. My daughter Rebecca and newborn grandson Ronnie also live on the property along with myself. We have provided tea and coffee in the room along with kettle and microwave and a range of snack items. Storage for belongings and towels provided.

Other things to note

There is a camera in the living area that senses motion and sound and records at all times. We use this for our pets but like to make guests aware. Bella the pug is a laid back dog however max is still a puppy and in training and can be boystress and jumpy but will not harm anyone. He can be put in another room when guests come downstairs if they feel more comfortable with this

I should point out that this us the 1st one that came up searching Airbnb fir Redcar.

I think the guests - and grandson are ok til Max eats thru the walls.

About this breed

The largest breed in the Utility group originates in Japan where he was developed for hunting for bear, deer and wild boar and, unfortunately, was also used in fighting competitions. The Akita as we see it today was developed in America, becoming stronger in bone and substance and makes an impressive sight. Like many of the Japanese breeds, brilliant and clear coat colours are much valued

Due to their famous reputation for loyalty and bonding strongly with their families, and their large, impressive appearance, many people desire to keep an Akita as a family pet, both within the UK and further afield. However, it is fair to say that the Akita is a challenging dog to keep in terms of its training, management and temperament, and the decision to buy an Akita should not be entered into lightly. Within the UK, the Japanese Akita is listed as one of the breeds of dog most likely to be surrendered to rehoming shelters due to their owners not being able to manage them, so fully researching the breed prior to deciding that the Akita is right for you is vitally important.

In this article, we will provide a basic insight into the temperament and training requirements of this large, intelligent dog breed.

General temperament traits

The Japanese Akita is renowned for being a very territorial dog, and will view their home, garden and other areas they visit regularly as part of their territory, and may be very defensive about them with strangers. In some countries, breed-specific legislation controls or prohibits ownership of the Akita for safety reasons, and while this is not the case within the UK, it is worth bearing in mind to ensure that you know what you are getting into and do not bite off more than you can chew!

They are very loyal to their immediate family and handlers, however, and are strongly protective of the people in their pack, particularly children; although they may also try to take the dominant role over the little people too!

Hosted by Melanie

Joined in September 2016

72 Reviews

Identity verified

I'm a professional lady with a bright and breezy outlook on life. I love hosting and making people feel comfortable. I have a VW camper van and enjoy wild camping whenever I can. To relax I like to cook and entertain. I have dogs. One pug called Bella and one American Akita named Maximus. My 25 year old daughter rebecca lives here with me and helps me host our guests

Theres are large number of people around boro whod read that totally different - or how she wants to.

Mind, what do you expect for 25 quid a night?  

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, One percent said:

Mind, what do you expect for 25 quid a night?  

20 a night later in the month reading between the lines the Akita will spend most of its time trying to sit on your lap.

Edited by King Penda
  • Lol 1

Bobthebuilder

I think this last 18 months have condensed 5 to 10 years worth of city to country downsizing / retirement into a short time frame.

My best guess is 3 to 4 years of stagnation, with buying opportunities appearing around 2025 / 2026.

Maybe wishful thinking on my part. I hope not.

• Agree 1

On 04/09/2021 at 16:47, AlfredTheLittle said:

"But they will spark fears that buy-to-let investors could be squeezed out of legitimate investments in holiday areas".

:)

• Lol 2

HousePriceMania

Some great news for Scottish people....the price of shelter has become less un-affordable

Hands up who knows which region of the UK stopped the stamp duty early and has run out of money to support HTB or other such scams ?

HousePriceMania

Every region outside of London posted a fall last (2) month, first time I've seen this happen and listing volumes increased fort he first time in a year.

Sadly, London asking prices have shot up after going down for a long time but listing volumes have increased again.

London really skews everything so over all the index is still posting a new high.

• Informative 1

Bobthebuilder

In the rural area I keep an eye on, I am starting to see reductions, unexpectably re available, and some auctions.

Crazy prices still, hugely up over the pandemic period.

Furlough is ending, is the WFH craze about to change direction?

HousePriceMania
1 hour ago, Bobthebuilder said:

In the rural area I keep an eye on, I am starting to see reductions, unexpectably re available, and some auctions.

Crazy prices still, hugely up over the pandemic period.

Furlough is ending, is the WFH craze about to change direction?

Look at the dog prices....say no more.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, HousePriceMania said:

Every region outside of London posted a fall last (2) month, first time I've seen this happen and listing volumes increased fort he first time in a year.

Sadly, London asking prices have shot up after going down for a long time but listing volumes have increased again.

London really skews everything so over all the index is still posting a new high.

You probably hate people asking you to cut and dice the data different ways, but here goes! Do you think that you would see markedly different stats in a region if you looked at the prices below median separate from the prices above median. I was just wondering how much of the London effect was down to the top end.

HousePriceMania
53 minutes ago, CVG said:

You probably hate people asking you to cut and dice the data different ways, but here goes! Do you think that you would see markedly different stats in a region if you looked at the prices below median separate from the prices above median. I was just wondering how much of the London effect was down to the top end.

Hi @CVG

I dont mind, it's an interesting question to be fair.  I'm no statistician so bear with me.

Are you asking me to separate the London listings, say,  into above median and below median then do an average asking price for above and an average for below ?

You definitely mean medium and not mean ?

If you can confirm I dont mind giving it a go.  I keep the historical data so can see what changes we see.

• Cheers 1

HousePriceMania

So, the London median price is £550,000

Which is well below the average price.

If my post weekend bevvy binge brain is now functioning that means that the average is skewed considerably by the top half, correct ?

Edited by HousePriceMania

16 minutes ago, HousePriceMania said:

Hi @CVG

I dont mind, it's an interesting question to be fair.  I'm no statistician so bear with me.

Are you asking me to separate the London listings, say,  into above median and below median then do an average asking price for above and an average for below ?

You definitely mean medium and not mean ?

If you can confirm I dont mind giving it a go.  I keep the historical data so can see what changes we see.

Thanks HPM.

Yes, median as in middle. It's pretty simplistic but should dump most of the flats in one half and the houses and mansions in the top half, so seeing how the average price in the lower median has changed versus the average price of the upper median. Also see how the number of listings varies for each of the two halves. It's not scientific but it might be fun.

HousePriceMania
4 minutes ago, Boon said:

Or types of property?

For example I can imagine London houses up to £500k being resilient. London flats up to £500k might be different.

Yeah, that's been asked before.  It doesn't look like you can definitely tell from each listing what the property type is, or at least couldn't when I started the index.

HousePriceMania
1 minute ago, CVG said:

Thanks HPM.

Yes, median as in middle. It's pretty simplistic but should dump most of the flats in one half and the houses and mansions in the top half, so seeing how the average price in the lower median has changed versus the average price of the upper median. Also see how the number of listings varies for each of the two halves. It's not scientific but it might be fun.

Ok, I'll so the average next and compare it with 12 months ago.  Back in a jiffy

• Cheers 1

HousePriceMania

Region: London

Date: Sept 2020

Total Listings: 69,875

Average: £870,216

Median: £550,000

Average low: £ 374,671

Average High £1,365,785

and for reference, the previous figures from July ( Aug no available ).

Date: July 2021 

Total Listings: 55,193 

Average: £886,890 

Median: £550,000 

Average low: £ 360,306

Average High £1,413,505

then:

Date: Sept 2021

Total Listings: 57,812 ( down 18% yoy, up 4.7% on July )

Average: £914,329 ( up 5% yoy,  up 3% on July )

Median: £550,000 ( unchanged oddly in each case )

Average low: £368,568 ( down 1.7% yoy, up 2.3% since July )

Average High £1,460,090 ( up 6.9% yoy, up 3.5% since july )

So, as expected the top end is skewing the numbers.

Edited by HousePriceMania
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 5