DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Individual house thread

Frank Hovis

Frank Hovis
2 minutes ago, HousePriceMania said:

Mullion soon to be renamed, Half a Mullion 

image.png.c5f7c354779a67c57585837d3333049f.png

Pollurian Cove is very nice, that's probably not far off the money for a five bed there with a decent plot.

Mullion village is more inland so would be cheaper. It's also a bit jammed in with new infill development and general lack of parking, I wouldn't live there but nearer the sea from there as in your example is nice.

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Pollurian Cove is very nice, that's probably not far off the money for a five bed there with a decent plot.

Mullion village is more inland so would be cheaper. It's also a bit jammed in with new infill development and general lack of parking, I wouldn't live there but nearer the sea from there as in your example is nice.

It’s on the Lizard though so add 20 minutes to get to Helston before your journey to where ever you want to go to begins 

• Agree 1

Frank Hovis
11 minutes ago, eek said:

It’s on the Lizard though so add 20 minutes to get to Helston before your journey to where ever you want to go to begins 

The nicest places in Cornwall tend to be like that though, the relative inaccessibility keeps them quiet and unspoilt.

You would only want to live in them if you didn't go out much, except in the local countryside.

• Agree 2

Frank Hovis

A bit of musical history here: Fairport is up for sale.

Listed last year at £6m and now reduced to £4.3m.

47660_32458888_IMG_00_0000.jpeg

An exceptional, fully detached, period home which inspired the famous folk band Fairport Convention. The house is spread over three floors and boasts a landscaped rear garden and a duplex annex with a self contained flat and garage space for multiple cars.

Ideally located within the vibrant xD Muswell Hill Broadway area with a mixture of restaurants, coffee shops and bars, making this location one of the sought after parts of town to live in. Fortis Green is also within school catchment for some of the best schools in the area.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/137254526#/&channel=RES_BUY

• Agree 2

I used to live in Muswell Hill. It's just a massive traffic jam. Transport not as bad as everyone thinks. Ally Pally close by. Quite a long way from anywhere truly shit so safe enough. Just a bit dull despite its musical history.

sarahbell
6 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

A bit of musical history here: Fairport is up for sale.

Listed last year at £6m and now reduced to £4.3m.

47660_32458888_IMG_00_0000.jpeg

An exceptional, fully detached, period home which inspired the famous folk band Fairport Convention. The house is spread over three floors and boasts a landscaped rear garden and a duplex annex with a self contained flat and garage space for multiple cars.

Ideally located within the vibrant xD Muswell Hill Broadway area with a mixture of restaurants, coffee shops and bars, making this location one of the sought after parts of town to live in. Fortis Green is also within school catchment for some of the best schools in the area.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/137254526#/&channel=RES_BUY

The roof room is nice! 

• Cheers 1

sarahbell

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/145280219

Picture No. 07

Here we have a large, detached four bedroom extended family home with an opportunity to put your own stamp on it, offered with no onward chain.

Although the property needs to be finished off, we believe the finished work to be of a good standard and would suggest an internal inspection.

• Lol 2

One percent
6 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Picture No. 07

Here we have a large, detached four bedroom extended family home with an opportunity to put your own stamp on it, offered with no onward chain.

Although the property needs to be finished off, we believe the finished work to be of a good standard and would suggest an internal inspection.

Someone nicked the stairs.  o.O

• Lol 3

Joncrete Cungle
9 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Picture No. 07

£400k to live on an unfinished building site xD

• Lol 1

Bear Hug
30 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Picture No. 07

Kids' room? Portal to hell? 

Screenshot_20240510_154229.jpg

• Agree 3
  • Lol 1

sarahbell
47 minutes ago, One percent said:

Someone nicked the stairs.  o.O

I know! The back garden isn't finished which isn't a major problem usually. but the kitchen needs a bit of finishing too (Lights!)

• Agree 2

Bobthebuilder
25 minutes ago, Bear Hug said:

Screenshot_20240510_154229.jpg

So many of these refurbished places have old 1980 radiators, I see it all the time, re decorate without up dating the internal working basics.

Screams shoddy job to me.

• Agree 5
  • Informative 1

apples
18 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Picture No. 07

214820_STJ240089_IMG_06_0000.thumb.jpeg.7635d3c55267ed14e65fed32dd1c64c1.jpeg

No mattress and damp stains above the unshaded light. Inviting!

17 hours ago, Bear Hug said:

All the walls look like they're using textures from DOOM o.O

• Agree 1
  • Lol 2

spygirl

Googled popped up this

'A knock on the door led us to buy our dream home... but now we're selling it for £600k'

'When you finally finish renovating your forever home after eight years but then... we’ve put our beautiful house on the market'

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/property/a-knock-door-led-buy-29133008.amp

After wanting to sell their new-build house, Roxy, 35 and her husband stumbled across their perfect family home by chance - a gorgeous detached three-bed Victorian house in Bury - which they bought for £250,000. It was steeped in history with a family connection, and so the pair spent eight years bringing it back to life and retaining all of its original period features.

Despite creating their 'forever' home, the couple have now taken the decision to put their house on the market. "I guess we got the renovation bug," Roxy said: "We absolutely love this house but we’re only young. With a growing family we’ve probably got another renovation in us.

"We’ve spent way more than what we planned on it so we had to consider whether to throw more money at it to expand it or take on another renovation project. It does make me sad to be selling it because I know I'll probably never find a house like this again. It’s now move-in ready for its new owner."

https://houseprices.io/?q=West+Bank%2C+Walmersley+Road%2C+Bury

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/146946044#/?channel=RES_BUY

Already been one reduction despite being on a month, so doesnt seem as if there is a lot of interest, why do the article otherwise.

Seems way out of kilter with other prices though. There was a similar one nearby at £371k, but these people assume they have been geniuses at interior design, but really it's just about money.

• Agree 1

spygirl
7 hours ago, Boon said:

Already been one reduction despite being on a month, so doesnt seem as if there is a lot of interest, why do the article otherwise.

Seems way out of kilter with other prices though. There was a similar one nearby at £371k, but these people assume they have been geniuses at interior design, but really it's just about money.

I dont know Bury.

Selecting 'See similar' shows other, high priced For Sales.

Looking at houseprices.io - and I think this is 680 - its a very looonnng road.

Address: 680 Walmersley Road,
Bury, BL9 6RN
Type: Detached
Tenure: Leasehold
New build: No
Estimated value: £389,000
Links: Map icon Price map Wikipedia icon (Bury)
Transaction type: Standard price paid transaction

Registered sales:

Date Sold Price Paid Nominal
change
Real
change
23 Nov 2016 £245,000 55.6% 2.9%
05 Apr 2002 £157,500 26.0% 17.4%
10 Aug 1998 £125,000 n/a n/a

It also seems to be the posh area.

However ....

Houses near it arnt going for anywhere near those prices.

The house was bought during ZIRP.

Theyve got to take at least 30% off the price.

If Bury goes like the rest of the North then you are looking at ~2004ish prices which, for them, is going to be a massive loss.

Daft wimmin let near credit.

If its their dream houses then why re they selling?

Why spend so much money on a big house and not do the obvious value earners - loft to bedroom and extra bathroom?

spygirl
7 hours ago, Boon said:

I hink its about access to credit and daft TV programmes.

Womans 35.

Her entire adult life has been with IR at ZIRP.

She was a new born when there was last a serious down turn.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, spygirl said:

If its their dream houses then why re they selling?

Why spend so much money on a big house and not do the obvious value earners - loft to bedroom and extra bathroom?

I would imagine she is a regular watcher of Homes under the Hammer.

I bet they must have ridden the covid boom of Londoners moving out to places like this which juiced house prices but now the tide is coming in and they are seeing their 'profits' draining away so are fishing in the last chance saloon.

Here is the one nearby, very similar footprint but offers the benefit of not being directly on a traffic light or a junction:
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/details/england-133423268-93982563?s=4ed3706f646c192d21b526b650ed7a602e9faf8c724f777373caa30a1cdba8ad#/

Is there £230,000 of renovation difference between those two? Definitely not.

I just think they are like many. Maybe in 2016 they didn't buy with the intention of becoming property developers, and I bet they thought it's be the 'forever' home. But then 'what you own, ends up owning you' and 80%+ of their net worth ends up tied up in it and they see a chance for a £100k profit or something.

• Agree 1

Credit to @HousePriceMania for this one as he picked it up on the Property Crash thread, this is a hell of a house for the money.

He picked it up because it has dropped from £1.5m to £850k in two years.

Firstly the downside - this was a care home so will need a lot of work to turn it into a top quality private dwelling, hundreds of thousands probably.  This would be why it has been on the market for two years.

And now to the upsides.

Lelant is really nice, it's near St Ives but withut the vast tourist influx as they mostly drive through it on the way to St Ives.

Twelve bedrooms, three storeys, big gardens backing onto permanent woodland.

35496_11508149_IMG_07_0000.jpeg

35496_11508149_IMG_01_0000.jpeg

Front:

35496_11508149_IMG_05_0000.jpeg

Back:

35496_11508149_IMG_04_0000.jpeg

Soem of the back gardens:

35496_11508149_IMG_09_0000.jpeg

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/123345467#/?channel=RES_BUY

@Delboy

• Agree 2

HousePriceMania

IIRC is about £180 per sq foot, the best way to gauge value, probably about right for do-er-up-er at that size, would be better at £120 though given the price of renovation but all in all not bad.

You going to see it Frank ?

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, HousePriceMania said:

IIRC is about £180 per sq foot, the best way to gauge value, probably about right for do-er-up-er at that size, would be better at £120 though given the price of renovation but all in all not bad.

You going to see it Frank ?

Not sure.

I don't fancy spending the next five years living in a huge renovation project whatever the value in it, but it will be superb when it's finished.  Hmmm.....

I have seen it in the past, drive through Lelant and you see it and it is impressive.

• Agree 2

HousePriceMania
16 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Not sure.

I don't fancy spending the next five years living in a huge renovation project whatever the value in it, but it will be superb when it's finished.  Hmmm.....

I have seen it in the past, drive through Lelant and you see it and it is impressive.

Saw this one relisted in Northants, similar price

Think I'd rather the one in Cornwall.

it does seem that the bigger houses that need work are seeing some falls again.

• Informative 2