DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 5)

spunko

M S E Refugee

1 hour ago, F150 said:

birmingham alabama in 1920s with a population of 150k had a train station with 10 platforms and 90 long distance intercity trains a day, probably 20 tram lines connecting to that station

in the 1960s they demolished the station and it now has a 6 lane highway over the top of it

this is the station in 1960s before demolishing, see all the empty land around it. All demolished buildings so you can park cars there instead, getting ready for proper car braining

How Birmingham's iconic Terminal Station was lost to a wrecking ball in  1969 - al.com

post card from 1910s, nice bike on the left

No photo description available.

inside

postcard from 1909 from a photo when it first opened:

49896976_2494323877249460_5670206946481799168_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=Jiwgw5OmL5QAX9CgLF_&_nc_ht=scontent.fmxf1-1.fna&oh=00_AfBbdP1K8eFyOVGY3lwMhECiy1DPr1-w7p4KoooA6X8eDQ&oe=643BFA4B

NOW in 2010s, see the tunnel underneath, nice and car brained up

image.thumb.png.3aef0ebc5140b373f7e400eabad9f9b7.png

from the back:

image.thumb.png.8aeeae5df945823baf64c2cee36c700c.png

great job CAR BRAINS!!

which one looks more economically sustainable?

the car brains turned it into a wasteland, like they did in detroit and ironically fucked their own industry over

The age of the train is over, [for 50 years now]

1 hour ago, F150 said:

birmingham alabama in 1920s with a population of 150k had a train station with 10 platforms and 90 long distance intercity trains a day, probably 20 tram lines connecting to that station

in the 1960s they demolished the station and it now has a 6 lane highway over the top of it

this is the station in 1960s before demolishing, see all the empty land around it. All demolished buildings so you can park cars there instead, getting ready for proper car braining

How Birmingham's iconic Terminal Station was lost to a wrecking ball in  1969 - al.com

inside

49896976_2494323877249460_5670206946481799168_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=Jiwgw5OmL5QAX9CgLF_&_nc_ht=scontent.fmxf1-1.fna&oh=00_AfBbdP1K8eFyOVGY3lwMhECiy1DPr1-w7p4KoooA6X8eDQ&oe=643BFA4B

from the back:

great job CAR BRAINS!!

the car brains turned it into a wasteland, like they did in detroit and ironically fucked their own industry over

1 hour ago, F150 said:

inside

from the back:

great job CAR BRAINS!!

• Lol 1

leonardratso

ive been on some trains that were more than 50 years old by the way they were running. Also stunk of shit/piss [the train that is].

• Lol 3

6 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

Spotted these on ebay, decent price at £6500.

They are worth around £6220 at today's Gold price.

I don't get why you would pay 6500 for something worth 6220?

Or do you mean that the historical kings and queens thing adds value?

3 minutes ago, No One said:

It might be in the US barely a week goes by without a major train crash

7 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

ive been on some trains that were more than 50 years old by the way they were running. Also stunk of shit/piss [the train that is].

The trains from Reading to Waterloo seemed like 50 ish years old until they retired them. Used to be called "slam door" trains. I can't remember when they stopped them but fairly recent I used to commute on them all the time and quite preferred them to be honest. They had corridors and compartments like you see on black and white films.

• Agree 2

M S E Refugee
5 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

I don't get why you would pay 6500 for something worth 6220?

Or do you mean that the historical kings and queens thing adds value?

A Bullion dealer will charge a premium over the spot price. 

Atkinson's will charge you £409 for a Sovereign but the spot price is £372 so that's 10% over spot.

Those Medallions on ebay are going for around 4% over spot which is pretty good.

The seller is taking best offers so you could maybe get them a bit cheaper.

• Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, No One said:

yes, but the damage cars have done economically can no longer be hidden and all the infrastructure is falling apart and there isnt money for it to be rebuilt or maintained, hence potholes everywhere

meanwhile train tracks that run low speed rail and havent needed to be replaced since the 1960s on the tube, and theres still tracks running that are close to 100 years old. and for High speed rail, when those tracks wear out they can be repurposed onto low speed rail lines. cant do that for the M25

just look at the freight trains in the US, they take 1000 ton loads every day and havent been repaired or looked after since the gubbermint decided to fuck it over decades ago and privatise it all, yes they are derailing now but if that had been a road it would be an impassible rubble  after 2 years, just like airport runways

i reckon the recent train derailments are all planned by the automobile industry to try to kill trains in the US FOREVER

but florida just got its first intercity high speed rail line in 2018 and this is in the car brain of car brain places and fighting against massive political opposition and decades of terrible land rules that have been designed to force everyone to need a car (e.g. parking mandates), and the big cities are trying to reopen their streetcar lines

the same way bodders go on about the economy collapsing from bennies because you cant run from reality forever, the same thing with 12mpg 5000lb SUVs vs trains

THIS is the age of the TRAIN!

Edited by F150
  • Agree 5
  • Informative 3
  • Lol 2
  • Vomit 1

1 hour ago, roundhouse said:

Really have to laugh at this, I used to think like you, long long ago! Worked four years proofreading scientific journals so think I might be the best qualified to respond... if scientists can be really clever, intelligent, curious, inquisitive etc to be top of their respective field... but can't spell, do grammar, or type accurately perhaps, then ffs should their output and contribution be dissed, not be published? They have other people to correct these errors, it's what their mind and thought process is doing and going (plus results) that counts!

By the way @Stuey, a new sentence or paragraph should start with a capital letter. Doesn't bother me too much in the context of a quickly typed response, but you should try harder yourself eh?

I work with some very high functioning scientists, their lives would be chaotic mess without their PAs and spouses, especially the males.

I've heard it described as they are so focused on their science they don't have spare brain capacity to do other things. Clearly these people are never selected as government advisors.

• Agree 6

56 minutes ago, CannonFodder said:

Latest on Debit Suspect

Just saw on Bloomberg Tv that UBS is going to buy all or part of CS. That's a pretty big move I'm sure with some sweeteners from Swiss govt.

edit : on twitter now

Edited by moneyscam
  • Informative 6

1 hour ago, F150 said:

THIS is the age of the TRAIN!

aye the frogs and the japs agreed with you about 30 years ago.........fuk u oil xD

Frcsxz9WcAASBAQ.jpg

Noallegiance
41 minutes ago, Sidd said:

Do that for 10 days straight and I will start believing it

Closing the week £60 over ATH is a decent start.

• Agree 8
  • Cheers 1

Bobthebuilder
57 minutes ago, snaga said:

I work with some very high functioning scientists, their lives would be chaotic mess without their PAs and spouses, especially the males.

I've heard it described as they are so focused on their science they don't have spare brain capacity to do other things. Clearly these people are never selected as government advisors.

I have a place for everything, if my wife dusts my stuff and it moves I genuinely can't see it even if it's in plain sight, it's that bad for me. 

Edited by Bobthebuilder
  • Agree 3
  • Lol 1

14 minutes ago, Noallegiance said:

Closing the week £60 over ATH is a decent start.

Agreed, trying to reverse jynx it this time around, so it keeps going up

• Lol 2

Castlevania
6 hours ago, PatronizingGit said:

Interesting. If I google that image it comes up with 'hidden oilfields of LA'

Reminded me of an archive footage video I saw the other day, I was thinking, my, LA had a lot of pylons!

About 4 minutes in. Interesting how the Oil derricks were crammed in amongst houses, quite nice houses, some of them. You literally could imagine the beverley hillbillies building a mansion beside their back garden oil well.

George Bush Snr made his money selling drill bits. He lived in Compton.

• Cheers 1