DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 8)

spunko

9 hours ago, Transistor Man said:

Moore’s law continued though. The important thing is: cost per transistor continued to drop exponentially. 

Do you expect that to continue, even with the increasing complexity of chips now?

I feel like I've been a chicken little on this,  but advanced lithography tools are already, what, $200m?   Then the complexity of GAA and moving to backside power?  It feels to me like chips are still getting better,  but the cost to do so is rising faster.  Am I wide of the mark?

My gut feeling is it will be uneconomic to make higher densities well before it becomes unviable.

• Informative 2

15 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

Quelled surprise, the new issuance of Government debt 1931 4% may be under subscribed and the BOE are allowing the public to buy direct for the first time.

Now if the 2% CPI target was real then 4% would be a steal, but the Markets aren't keen. They know that the BOE is keen on printing and the Government is keen on dreaming up inflationary  schemes to prop up the only thing that matters, namely he housing Market.

Who can blame them, we have the 99% Mortgage  Help for Geratrics Scheme in the offing ie. prop up Geriatrics wealth and give Millennials a good rogering. And we have the journos screaming for rate cuts when we are double CPI target.

Markets given up on the idea of a 2% target...well with likes of  Swati Dinghra in charge of rate setting and Liam Halligan being the Nation's conscience on where rates should be, you bloody bet 

I thought they did all public facing retail type stuff through NS&I. Imo No way they can sell them through NS&I people might get rinsed on capital losses. But the bbc said interest rates cuts were expected!

Edited by Ash4781b
  • Agree 1

Democorruptcy
15 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

Quelled surprise, the new issuance of Government debt 1931 4% may be under subscribed and the BOE are allowing the public to buy direct for the first time.

Now if the 2% CPI target was real then 4% would be a steal, but the Markets aren't keen. They know that the BOE is keen on printing and the Government is keen on dreaming up inflationary  schemes to prop up the only thing that matters, namely he housing Market.

Who can blame them, we have the 99% Mortgage  Help for Geratrics Scheme in the offing ie. prop up Geriatrics wealth and give Millennials a good rogering. And we have the journos screaming for rate cuts when we are double CPI target.

Markets given up on the idea of a 2% target...well with likes of  Swati Dinghra in charge of rate setting and Liam Halligan being the Nation's conscience on where rates should be, you bloody bet 

A link on retail buying debt.

Investors are set to get access to the primary gilt markets with investment platform Hargreaves Lansdown and will even be able to purchase and hold the bonds for free.

The primary gilt markets have long-been the preserve of institutional investors, with retail customers typically only able to access government bonds through secondary markets.

But in what is described as an industry-first, Hargreaves Lansdown users are to be given access to Debt Management Office (DMO) gilt auctions.

https://moneyweek.com/investments/government-bonds/hargreaves-lansdown-opens-primary-gilt-markets-to-retail-investors-is-it-worth-backing-government-bonds

• Informative 3
  • Cringe 1

Lightscribe

They are all useful idiots. She had to climb to the top of the tree to find out that the tail wags the dog?

(with a little help of grifting her upcoming book to a right wing US audience of course)

• Agree 5
  • Vomit 1

Yadda yadda yadda
9 hours ago, sancho panza said:

another 'no sh1t sherlock' moent amongst many.Our political eltie scratching their heads whilst we sit and say 'perfectly udnerstandable'

who said two worngs dont make a right?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/02/23/fertility-rate-slumps-to-record-low-in-slow-burn-crisis/

Fertility rate slumps to record low in ‘slow-burn’ economic crisis

Growth and living standards at risk as UK heads towards a baby bust

The fertility rate in England and Wales has dropped to a record low, with British women having fewer children than at any point since at least 1939 in a “slow-burn” economic crisis.

New figures from the Office for National Statistics show that the fertility rate, which measures the average number of children a woman of childbearing age will have, dropped to 1.49 in 2022.

The number, which is the lowest in 83 years, comes amid an increasingly political debate about why women are having fewer children.

Many politicians and economists fear that the economy will struggle to grow and living standards will stagnate or decline as the number of older people increases while fewer children are born.

image.png.da0930dc6db45984d789cae292a39946.pngTo offset the impact of a shrinking working-age population, politicians will be forced to find solutions such as raising the retirement age or allowing greater immigration, he said.

Instead, like many rich countries, the UK is headed for a baby bust as demographers warn that high living costs, nursery fees, house prices and stagnating pay for young people mean rates will likely continue to fall.

The number of children British women have has been in decline for a long time, falling from an average of nearly three in 1964.

The answers aren't those that they want to hear so they don't even ask the right questions.

• Agree 4

darkmarket
7 minutes ago, Lightscribe said:

They are all useful idiots. She had to climb to the top of the tree to find out that the tail wags the dog?

(with a little help of grifting her upcoming book to a right wing US audience of course)

I noticed Raheem Kassam, formerly Farage's advisor and now running The National Pulse successfully from Washington, was absolutely scathing about her. I think he may be realising Farage isn't the solution he'd hoped for either.

The attempt to portray Johnson as similar to Trump was pathetic (although it did fool many in the UK), but Truss is even worse.

• Agree 2
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, sancho panza said:

Instead, like many rich countries

So being rich means being unable to afford a house or children does it? That’s funny (not funny) as it sounds dirt poor to me.

Edited by Sue Lowe
  • Agree 10

Democorruptcy
52 minutes ago, Lightscribe said:

She should have watched an episode of 'Yes Prime Minister', to prepare herself.

• Agree 3
  • Lol 3

Transistor Man
2 hours ago, Libspero said:

Do you expect that to continue, even with the increasing complexity of chips now?I

It’s definitely more difficult/ expensive to design-for and manufacture each new generation. 
The number of companies who can manufacture at the leading edge is down to 3. 
But progress is going to continue. 
As you say, we know what’s going to happen for the next few years. Probably the next decade.

The leading edge, state of the art, will move to GAA imminently.
Then it will be CFET which is 3D stacking of transistors. That will give a significant density increase.

Then there are new materials options. That’s the next decade covered.

I never bet against this industry, because it’s a steamroller.

the rate of progress might slow, but each new generation will be better than the last. Cost….tends to work out. 
The current hype with nvidia and ARM will leave a mess when it blows up. I didn’t see this AI thing coming. I’m still sceptical. I wouldn’t have thought the chatgpt approach would work at all.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 5
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Transistor Man said:

I never bet against this industry, because it’s a steamroller.

Thanks,  you’re a lot closer to the front than me so that’s somewhat reassuring.

Just in terms of the above..  AMAT LAM et al,  I’d never bet long in either direction personally. I’d liken them more to a rollercoaster in that respect..  buy the dips and sell the highs.

• Informative 1

Transistor Man
11 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Thanks,  you’re a lot closer to the front than me so that’s somewhat reassuring.

Just in terms of the above..  AMAT LAM et al,  I’d never bet long in either direction personally. I’d liken them more to a rollercoaster in that respect..  buy the dips and sell the highs.

Investing in it, that’s a different question!

Forget the recent ramp to the moon, The best deal was always buying the products IMO. The phones, PCs, TVs, etc. 

Edited by Transistor Man
  • Agree 4
  • Informative 2

belfastchild
26 minutes ago, Transistor Man said:

I wouldn’t have thought the chatgpt approach would work at all.

Its anecdotal but I know 3 or 4 people currently involved in AI development and research. They all think its glorified search engine, garbage in garbage out but all hope it lasts long enough so that they can continue in the role to early retirement (3-5 years).
They are all roughly my age though so its a case of 'what did it used to be called' in all this stuff.

I think it will work but at low level with defined data sets. It will automate out some jobs but again it will be those that can be automated within that definition.

Ironically going back to what search engines should be instead of the shite we have now where you cant find anything relevant or anything 'off message'. Though they will all probably follow that route as well, hence the defined data set.

• Agree 4
  • Informative 3

1 hour ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

The answers aren't those that they want to hear so they don't even ask the right questions.

Your absolutely correct of course. But with both a broken economic system and a broken social contract, where on earth would our politicians even start?

How did we get here? The harms happened over many decades of course but IMO there was a crucial period of opportunity. In the 1990s it was clear that the geo-political tectonic plates had dramatically shifted - with the looming rise of China and the sudden fall of the USSR - but instead of attending to the widening systemic economic faults and fissures, and fixing the build up of political pressures, our politicians instead just doubled down and kicked the can some more. So a massive wasted opportunity imo.  ...But it gets worse, where today our imperial master seems happy to merely sit back on its throne and intone 'Magma(!) America great again'.

It appears there are now no palatable political solutions for our useless politicians, they really have given up, and things will almost certainly end in economic collapse. And then an awful 'reset period' (but difficult to judge how awful?) will be forced upon us. Another depressing thought is that we will of course be expected to be very greatful for 'our rescue' by TPTB, plus most people will be totally unaware that the crises collapse and it's successive hard measures need never have happened in the first place.

• Agree 5

1 hour ago, Democorruptcy said:

She should have watched an episode of 'Yes Prime Minister', to prepare herself.

The great thing about having 'Yes Prime Minister' as a reference is that Truss sounds exactly like a character from that show!

Because of TV, books, internet, and other information sources, it is far more difficult for TPTB to corral the public these days. However worryingly maybe that's why TPTB now favour going direct for the vax/slaughter(!) option instead?

• Agree 3
  • Cheers 1

DoINeedOne

A friend of the family said they pay £1100 a month for nursery of one child and that's part-time

Apparently and correct me if I'm wrong as I have no child in nursery but the Government free hours costs are just being passed onto those who pay and I assume with the increases in the minimum wage

Honestly, who can afford a kid these days

They would love another child, both work in decent jobs but doubt they will because of costs 

• Agree 8
  • Informative 2
  • Love / Hugz 1

Japan still has a negative interest rate plus the BOJ holds a lot of equities.  Shaun Richards follows them in his blog:

The Tokyo Whale is having a ball as Japanese equities finally reach a new high

According to the February 20th update the Bank of Japan owns some 37,186,178,276,000 Yen of Japanese equities.

It all has an effect on the value of the yen of course.......

for those who do not follow such matters the stock market usually moves inversely with the Yen exchange rate.

• Informative 3

Long-game
2 hours ago, DoINeedOne said:

A friend of the family said they pay £1100 a month for nursery of one child and that's part-time

Apparently and correct me if I'm wrong as I have no child in nursery but the Government free hours costs are just being passed onto those who pay and I assume with the increases in the minimum wage

Honestly, who can afford a kid these days

They would love another child, both work in decent jobs but doubt they will because of costs 

Would be near a grand for 1 child for me. I am now part time missus took on full time. I am now part of the less productive, when the wee one turns 3 it will be 350 or so a month saved. It feels good to give less in tax to this bunch of thieves, as in the  Scottish government.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 2
  • Cheers 4