DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 8)

spunko

17 hours ago, Transistor Man said:

Moore’s law continued, but I’d say Dennard scaling finished in 2006.

That was the end of the established scaling rules as laid out by Dennard.

Every 2 years, - all transistor linear dimensions * 1/1.4 

increase doping * 1.4 

supply voltage * 1/1.4 

clock freq * 1.4

Power consumption per circuit function 1/(1.4^2).

power density = 1 (remains the same)

This recipe came to an abrupt end in 2006.

Intel hit the power consumption wall.

Their new prototype chip was called Tejas. When it ran at the spec clock frequency, it consumed 400W.

It had to be canned. They moved to a completely new plan overnight: multi core.

That was the end of the traditional scaling recipe. From that point, Basically the clock frequency stopped scaling, and  Chips contained more and more dark silicon.

Moore’s law continued though. The important thing is: cost per transistor continued to drop exponentially. 

I don’t see any alternative to semiconductors for information processing. Photonics (light) is great for Interconnecting things. But for the foreseeable future, I can’t see how do you do anything practical without semiconductor electronics.

A very long time ago, roughly at this time, a rumour has it that to fulfil a contractual obligation that Intel signed to get a new non x86 architecture into a certain sector ... Intel went ahead and released the new chip which had peak power consumption - all core running hot - close to this.

Allegedly - and I had only brief sight - the cooling system was a work of art/insanity.

The contract did not say anything about cooling ...

Even then then the prototype caught fire.

How in fuck, dunno. The chop was so full of bugs it kept crashing.

• Informative 1

7 hours ago, Libspero said:

Do you expect that to continue, even with the increasing complexity of chips now?

I feel like I've been a chicken little on this,  but advanced lithography tools are already, what, $200m?   Then the complexity of GAA and moving to backside power?  It feels to me like chips are still getting better,  but the cost to do so is rising faster.  Am I wide of the mark?

My gut feeling is it will be uneconomic to make higher densities well before it becomes unviable.

The only chips that need to be fast and in a small area are Gpus.

All other loads can be divided up across in a single addresses space, joined with a cross bar memory switch , or in seperate address spaces, using a v fast interlink.

This is where Arms low cost n low power use is a killer.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

reformed nice guy
2 hours ago, Hardhat said:

This is it. Despite all the hand wringing about immigration etc, this is the fundamental issue.

Who buys the houses? The natives haven't reproduced at replacement rate since 1974 but population has went up 12 - 15 million depending on what count you use

• Agree 6

14 minutes ago, reformed nice guy said:

Who buys the houses? The natives haven't reproduced at replacement rate since 1974 but population has went up 12 - 15 million depending on what count you use

The same people buy the houses, they just buy them later in life and have higher repayments, both factors that prevent them also paying for childcare or being able to manage on one salary, freeing one partner up to do childcare. Obviously population growth will be a factor but population growth as the sole cause of HPI is well disproven. Availability of credit / BTL etc is what has impacted the marginal buyer.

• Agree 4

MightyTharg

but no-one mentioned the elephant in the room ie the cost of housing”

This is it. Despite all the hand wringing about immigration etc, this is the fundamental issue.

My children are mixed race as are many of their friends. The UK is never going back to a single culture / race society with so many kids growing up in mixed households.

It’s the same problem. The immigrant scum (and the coal-burning whores and their male equivalents) are driving up the price of housing. Cheered on by the WEF encouraging it (the new Genocide tube line for example).

• Agree 2

For me personally I think the genie is out of the bottle in terms of demographics. My children are mixed race as are many of their friends. The UK is never going back to a single culture / race society with so many kids growing up in mixed households. But most of my generation grew up like that anyway. I don't think it's a reason people aren't having kids.

Well you would think that wouldn't you. Vested interest isn't just the preserve of politicians.

• Agree 2
  • Love / Hugz 1

2 minutes ago, marceau said:

Well you would think that wouldn't you. Vested interest isn't just the preserve of politicians.

Rude tbh

• Agree 4
  • Bogged 1
  • Lol 1

The UK is never going back to a single culture / race society with so many kids growing up in mixed households.

This means the UK does not exist. You can't have a unified, cohesive country formed in this way. Diversity + proximity = war.

And I'm not sure where you live, but I've never even encountered a mixed race partnership or mixed race children. 

• Agree 5

Cool, look I didn't mean to trigger everyone, just my experience, used to feel ok sharing that here as the forum was fairly level headed. YMMV etc. It's Saturday night and I cba.

• Agree 9

Chewing Grass
54 minutes ago, Errol said:

And I'm not sure where you live, but I've never even encountered a mixed race partnership or mixed race children. 

There are a couple in me 'n' Mrs Chewies circle of friends, their son is butt ugly and their daughter will go very hairy.

Indian Father and English mother whose mother in turn was Russian.

The kids are way darker than their dad.... which surprises me.

• Lol 2

Lightscribe
1 hour ago, Hardhat said:

Rude tbh

You have to take the rough with the smooth on here I’m afraid. It’s a ‘right’ centric forum after all.

Just like my unpopular views on CBDCs and crypto. 

It’s the passion for some to save the country to return the UK to yesteryear of where it once was, but it’s all too late for that. All the western countries are equally fucked.

That’s why I couldn’t care less about all that which is divisive. The enemy are the enablers who are pulling the strings.

• Agree 9

On the subject of AI it’s no longer just chatGPT plagiarising the web to get your homework done or a bit of fun getting it to write a song in the style of a pirate. 

The AI models are able to create videos now from text or speech. It still has a long way to go of course and needs a human handler to approve the output but it learns from the human input. 

https://openai.com/sora?video=italian-pup

Imagine the BBC wants a new woke cartoon. They don’t need a writer or an animator or any sub-con. Just ask the AI and they produce it. Politics changed the following week? No problem just ask AI to change it and you don’t have to pay any extra getting anything rewritten or reanimated. 

Imagine a company wants a new advertising campaign. No need for the expense of a proper agency. Just your own department asking AI to produce an advert for tv, one for radio, one for the digital billboards etc.

AI can monitor sales and feedback on social media in real time. 
AI can also tinker with the ads in real time dependent on these metrics so the last advert that went out could be changed and out for the next ad break. Learning continually how sales and perception are affected by the ads. 
That’s a lot of money saved and jobs gone   

I don’t know how good it can become but the way it has moved even over the last year is impressive. 

check https://openai.com/sora for some more Videos produced, there are 2 other companies I know of doing the same thing. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

Lightscribe
1 minute ago, Ma2 said:

On the subject of AI it’s no longer just chatGPT plagiarising the web to get your homework done or a bit of fun getting it to write a song in the style of a pirate. 

The AI models are able to create videos now from text or speech. It still has a long way to go of course and needs a human handler to approve the output but it learns from the human input. 

Imagine the BBC wants a new woke cartoon. They don’t need a writer or an animator or any sub-con. Just ask the AI and they produce it. Politics changed the following week? No problem just ask AI to change it and you don’t have to pay any extra getting anything rewritten or reanimated. 

Imagine a company wants a new advertising campaign. No need for the expense of a proper agency. Just your own department asking AI to produce an advert for tv, one for radio, one for the digital billboards etc.

AI can monitor sales and feedback on social media in real time. 
AI can also tinker with the ads in real time dependent on these metrics so the last advert that went out could be changed and out for the next ad break. Learning continually how sales and perception are affected by the ads. 
That’s a lot of money saved and jobs gone   

I don’t know how good it can become but the way it has moved even over the last year is impressive. 

check https://openai.com/sora for some more Videos produced, there are 2 other companies I know of doing the same thing. 

Or alternatively just get AI to make a video of some nasty Russians raping and pillaging to get the plebs onside an escalation.

Excellent propaganda prospects.

• Agree 2
  • Bogged 1

11 minutes ago, Lightscribe said:

Or alternatively just get AI to make a video of some nasty Russians raping and pillaging to get the plebs onside an escalation.

Excellent propaganda prospects.

Yes. 100%. The fully automated BBC will be producing it from the narrative fed to it. 

I remember watching that bbc drama the capture and wondered how long it would be before that kind of thing would be quick and cheap to produce. No one will believe anything and that’s the aim. 

• Agree 2

Chewing Grass
3 minutes ago, Loki said:

There will be wars and AI generated wars

Exactly what Orwell predicted.

• Agree 5

2 hours ago, Errol said:

This means the UK does not exist. You can't have a unified, cohesive country formed in this way. Diversity + proximity = war.

Over the last 25 years or so, I've been to more mixed race weddings than white and without fail they produced more kids.  
white guys marrying 2nd or 3rd generation Indians for the most part, one afro Caribbean.  All lower middle class, with a couple of the guys punching well above their weight.  

Funny, despite the propaganda I don't know any white women with a black guys, but many whites guys with none white woman.   

Buy you're right, the UK that people still think exists, it doesn't.  It hasn't for some time now.

This is south east, btw.  London/Essex 

• Agree 4

King Penda
1 hour ago, Calcutta said:

Leave the guy's kids alone ffs. Mass Immigration is a political and financial discussion, just because somebody happens to be a slightly different shade of brown means fuck all on a personal level. 

I've had to deal with some of the most disgusting people you could ever meet, latchkey rapists, date rapists, pedophiles, daughter rapers,  the lowest of the low.

All of them native British.

I've met some right cunt black guys, and I see the muzzers on the telly blowing shit up, don't get me wrong.

Mass immigration in the last 20 years has definitely diminished the British national pride, there is nobody willing to go and fight for this country anymore. Good. The same people who sent our forefathers to be slaughtered in the Somme are the same people who are convincing our children to try and change fucking gender. 

The problem is political and economic, not racial.

I’ve nothing in common with there parents the kids will intergrate better after 3 generations.but we are still getting swamped with new arrivals. The sense of entitlement is huge one refused to do observations because the patient has a therapy dog . It’s against my religion to be around dogs unclean .I’m like what about saluke dogs Arabs use em for hunting. I’m like it’s got a muzzle and you won’t be within 6ft of it …. Unclean unclean im

like more like it’s because she records carers asleep . Then my Somali friend starts humming the tune to if looks could kill by heart

• Lol 4