DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 2)

spunko

• Replies 35.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Noallegiance said:

Fair question and I toy with it weekly.

I've left the ones in the red as I'm unwilling to simply take the loss ahead of a melt up.

If they look like they're staying down when the whole market is flying then they're lost. At that point I'll sell what's left (hoping some make it back toward break even) and feed it in to the old faithfuls.

Not talking mega money anyway but I just can't hit the sell button yet as I believe we're at the start of the melt up and their value may be partly saved.

Or......I'm full of shit scrambling for justification for my actions. It's like I'm my own market!

My biggest vice is paying attention to the colour, but I do, and will not doubt always do.  One exception I should have followed this last year was drilling down and maybe trading out of a loss using the daily data.  I could have added to some positions in say TUI, CARD, SGC, etc when they were oversold, traded the bounce, and then exited at a lower overall loss.  But then I could also have sold at a loss and invested in better opportunities!  I've been selling down many weakening stocks to what I normally use a my first ladder amount in a stock so I stay in the game at the cost of some loss that I can bear (although it soon adds up across several stocks!).

7 minutes ago, Heart's Ease said:

Some Moho owners also are suspicious of supermarket diesel for being heavy on the water but I don't know if that is an urban myth.

I've heard people make such claims, but the fuel comes from the same refineries, there is no alternate source of low quality fuel for supermarkets.

Thats what logic tells me anyway.

9 minutes ago, Heart's Ease said:

Some Moho owners also are suspicious of supermarket diesel for being heavy on the water but I don't know if that is an urban myth.

I also heard that - better to buy from the main producers for fresher petrol.  Is that true?  And how big a deal?  Much of my Stihl equipment is sensitive to even mildly bad petrol.  The dealer always used to say it was the mix, I'd laugh given the timing, and be proven wrong.  

4 minutes ago, HousePriceMania said:

Who does ?

Global players
Rank Company Country
1. Südzucker AG Germany
2. Cosan SA Industria & Comercio Brazil
3. British Sugar Plc UK
4. Tereos Internacional SA France

26 minutes ago, Heart's Ease said:

I don't know how you'd solve it with a fixed tank as you describe?

Multiple mechanics in my area say to stay clear of Tesco fuel.

HousePriceMania
1 minute ago, Option5 said:

Norway raises key interest rate from 0% to 0.25%.

Planning next rise in December.

3 more rises next year. March, June and September/December

Aiming for 1.75% by the end of 2024

Good time to buy Norwegian Currency ?

2 minutes ago, Noallegiance said:

In the days of throttle body injection you could see the gum build-up from shit fuel. BIL was a car mechanic and he knew where people bought petrol from by the state of their fuel delivery system. I've never used the cheap stuff and I'm sticking with E5 usually Shell.

1 hour ago, DurhamBorn said:

I could be tied to a chair with Krankie ramming a red hot poker up my backside demanding the password so she can sell my BAT and id just laugh.I sold them above £50 after decades and missed them like crazy.Getting them back at £25 was wonderful and il never sell 1 share in them again.If they ever do go to hell im going with them.

Yeah, I get your thinking, but I am more considering supply chain breakdowns in a worst case scenario where, say, 3% of those jabbed die this winter and the rest realise they are fucked.  Who's going to go to work?  To deliver the cigs?  To staff WH Smith?  

Oilies, meanwhile, will be the last leg to fall.

I told you I was a doomster.

18 minutes ago, Heart's Ease said:

From running a motorhome/camper over the winter I learned to keep the tank full of diesel, otherwise cold weather would condense moisture in the inside of the tank. There is a drain tap on the fuel filter in Ducato's so you can bleed the water off.  This happened once in summer due to a cold snap and near empty tank.  Some Moho owners also are suspicious of supermarket diesel for being heavy on the water but I don't know if that is an urban myth.

I don't know how you'd solve it with a fixed tank as you describe?

Its a pita, there are special 'sponges' you can buy which you sink to the bottom and they absorb the water but not the diesel (they arent sponge but cant remember off the top of my head). But I would think they would always leave some residual. When I drained my tank I just used some old t-shirts to soak the most of it out and left it empty in sunshine to evaporate the rest. Was some sort of scum on the bottom and wiped that with some old cloths as well.

Same drain tap on the transits! Thanks for the post, only just remembered I do the same with the camper so it has a full tank of 3 year old diesel! Have to start draining that out and mixing with the newer stuff in the other car.

34 minutes ago, HousePriceMania said:

Who does ?

Associated British Foods still do. Although they’re a conglomerate, so you get stuff like Primark, Twinings and Kingsmill all thrown in.

1 hour ago, Harley said:

No, but I heard it recently (during this year?).  To restrict the number of medical training places.

I heard that the Universities were paying medical students to defer their course, probably due to teaching difficulties with social distancing.

19 minutes ago, Noallegiance said:

The fuel in an area will all come from the same refinery and be the same stuff. What differs is the way it's handled in transport and the different additives used by the different companies.

Safest bet is a busy Shell or BP station that will deliver the freshest high quality fuel. Backwoods stations with ten customers a day will have stale fuel in the tanks which reduces the efficiency of the fuel. 

HousePriceMania
23 minutes ago, Castlevania said:

Associated British Foods still do. Although they’re a conglomerate, so you get stuff like Primark, Twinings and Kingsmill all thrown in.

I decided against them

P/E ratio 37.71
Div yield 0.32%

2 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

Looks like most coal that can be switched on against gas is,so heavy oil will be next.Government doesnt get it yet though,they think we just need more windmills missin the point.RR racing up,market sniffs small nuclear coming i think.

Independent expert group appointed to advise Government on standards for green investment

The Green Technical Advisory Group will oversee the Government’s delivery of a Green Taxonomy – a framework setting the bar for investments that can be defined as environmentally sustainable.

The role of the GTAG will be to provide non-binding advice to HMG on market, regulatory and scientific considerations for developing and implementing a UK Taxonomy which facilitates more informed investment decisions.

Terms and Member list

6 hours ago, wherebee said:

Hey, I'm supposed to be the doomster!

Seriously, though, I've closed out just about everything except the oilies, GDXJ, ARB, Centrica, and a couple of small miners.  

If, as I suspect, this winter is going to be very very rocky in the northern hemisphere, I don't want to be watching shares such as BAT crater when I could have sold at a profit.

Oilies, I suspect, do better as society unwinds, as the powers that be will be desperate for energy.

What impact do you think the Argo IPO and introduction of ARBK on Monday will have upon the existing shares? Would the gap between the IPO price and the current LSE price make the ARBK listing an attractive one?

It seems unusual that Argo is a London based company yet all of its mining operations are done in North America. Wouldn't it have made more sense for them to list on the NASDAQ initially? 

Apologies for all the questions, I am trying to learn how this works and have a lot to learn.

5 minutes ago, Cattle Prod said:

Well Ofgem got the reasons wrong of course, after all why on earth would a utility need to hedge their feedstock against price spikes if its a dead fuel with no future? But Kwarteng at least had some convesations about it. Guy is just another bluffer, currently in ass covering mode. They really are all thick as planks, including Milliband, who didn't read the Ofgem report he posted. Not one of them has a grasp on the issues, the answers coming out are 'more windmills'. I think it must be a practical joke that they all have a good laugh about behind closed doors? It's like watching children in a creche.

To be fair 18 months ago he was busy lining the pockets of his mates with taxpayers money.

The fuckers couldn't pour piss out of a Wellington boot if the instructions were on the heel. 

1 hour ago, Democorruptcy said:

Independent expert group appointed to advise Government on standards for green investment

The Green Technical Advisory Group will oversee the Government’s delivery of a Green Taxonomy – a framework setting the bar for investments that can be defined as environmentally sustainable.

The role of the GTAG will be to provide non-binding advice to HMG on market, regulatory and scientific considerations for developing and implementing a UK Taxonomy which facilitates more informed investment decisions.

Terms and Member list

Here we go again.  Another SAGE.  Probably more to come as part of the growth of the technocracy and regulation.  And like SAGE, few scientists, not that they are anymore.  SAGE was only advisory and look what happened!

46 minutes ago, Cattle Prod said:

Well Ofgem got the reasons wrong of course, after all why on earth would a utility need to hedge their feedstock against price spikes if its a dead fuel with no future? But Kwarteng at least had some convesations about it. Guy is just another bluffer, currently in ass covering mode. They really are all thick as planks, including Milliband, who didn't read the Ofgem report he posted. Not one of them has a grasp on the issues, the answers coming out are 'more windmills'. I think it must be a practical joke that they all have a good laugh about behind closed doors? It's like watching children in a creche.

18 months?  If you don't move around often enough in politics you risk becoming dead meat. If it were musical chairs, they currently would had to move the dial to 75rpm!

1 hour ago, HousePriceMania said:

Shocked I am, shocked.

Actually, make that angry.

Even though....

Inflating the debt away as expected, funny how BoE willing to overshoot 2% target as mandated by Gov isn't it?

On bennies @DurhamBorn, interesting stance from Keir (discussions behind closed doors between parties I'd imagine)

Archived