DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 6)

spunko

ashestoashes
3 minutes ago, JMD said:

I think everyone should watch that video. It could have been lot shorter but it does put the perceived CBDC risk into context. 

Essentially CBDCs are overhyped rather like Elon Musk's self-driving car tech is. I wrote some time back about the Chinese CBDC experiment being more about attempting to create a trusting/reputation based culture than about control. Of course China is totalitarian but the problem the authorities identified several decades ago - and still need to solve - is one of social cohesion between Chinese groups/cultures/rural villages, etc. I've referred before to China's 15 provinces (actually that might be slightly inaccurate?) and the comparison to the former USSRs own 15 republics that each had different languages and cultures, and of course what ultimately happened there. 

However I still think CBDCs will be used in the West. But it will probably be used to implement one or all of - currency reset/inflation control/UBI dependency state administration. As others have often said on here the government already has electronic oversight of our spending and far tighter control will happen once cash is banned. 

would they have stopped you buying stuff if you weren't jabbed if they'd had CBDCs in the covid Pandemic ?

• Agree 7

2 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

Thanks for highligihitng that Virgil.The hive mind at it's best.I was unaware.

The supermarkets do have a lot of power.The appearance of some brands in the regular aisles at Aldi is the beginning of what you might call the dedollarization of tesco.It's bascially the big brands telling tesco to do one.In my eyes this is big news.Nespresso co partnering with aldi is equally powerful message.But fair play to their board for maintaining market share

The brand manufacturers are still mainly aiming to maintain margins from what I udnerstand from mrs P.I think that is until top line revenue starts getting hit and then they need to keep an eye on market share.by which time it might be too late

I've been suprised (from what I hear) about how brandeds haven't seen market share as an issue.I say that because you need to get young kids eating your products or they'll grow up used to aldi kethcup and will see no need to buy heinz.

Looking at the strategies Mrs P is telling me about the Unilevers of this world,they're not seeing the inflationary cycle coming.I've said to her they need a macro road mapper such as @DurhamBorn to lay out where this is going and then to build a strategy around the macro that is inbound.

genuienly,I'm amazed at what they spend on wages and don't appear to have an economsit worth their salt anywhere near the decison makiing bodies.

I wonder how many arrivals are families of care workers? as per discussion with @King Penda ref care homes being staffed now by non EU workers.Also,nurses and otehr NHS staff.

We appear to be solving the Brexit problem with an even bigger problem.

I’d imagine a fair few of the 17,000 Zimbabwean nurses hired last year would bring their families with them.

• Agree 6
  • Informative 1

9 minutes ago, Castlevania said:

I’d imagine a fair few of the 17,000 Zimbabwean nurses hired last year would bring their families with them.

I'm not sure that's true, all the ones I know of the want a British partner so they don't have to go back.

They're basically refugees who want to work and build a better life for themselves.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

ThoughtCriminal
1 hour ago, Harley said:

But if they're so good why three pairs! :)

Yeh, overpriced burgers.  Didn't know they were that tough too!

Some people buy multiple guitars, I buy multiple walking shoes lol

Try them, you'll never go back. 😉

• Lol 2

1 hour ago, Eventually Right said:

Do you have any views on Hoka, TC? I'm meant to be walking the Camino De Santiago in a month or , tried Salomon, Merrell, North Face etc, and finally settled on these, with an extra wide toe box:

speedgoat-5-wide-2e-mens-trail-running-shoes-blue-coral-evening-primrose-p7500-29552_image.jpg

For zero drop with wide and flexible toebox, my brand of choice is Altra. Escalante for massive cushioning on flats, Superior for minimalistic sole with trail pattern. They also have cushioned trail shoes that I haven't tried.

I used to love Inov-8 before they went all crossfity and narrow. Bare-X 180 was by far the best pair of minimialistic road shoes I've ever had and I still have a pair but it's slowly falling apart. Sad face.

For zero drop with no cushioning at all I just go with bare feet. Gone are the years where I'd simply live barefoot all year round but I still keep it as an option on my walks.

Edit: someone mentioned Vivobarefoot - pricey but very comfortable indeed, got one pair of moccasins for clubbing.

Edited by kibuc
  • Informative 4
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

would they have stopped you buying stuff if you weren't jabbed if they'd had CBDCs in the covid Pandemic ?

Don't want to derail thread, but the point I was making was that CBDC joined up infrastructure designed to control society to the n'th degree is not possible (but I did give what I think could be limited use examples). China appear to have run the control experiment and it failed.

More effective in times of pandemic and war, to just use the BBC to frame the moral argument or to scare people. After all propaganda worked pretty well last time. Ok maybe the 'crises' wont be a pandemic next time (especially after party gate?), but phycology and shame are powerful state tools, so maybe just publicly shame some middle class transgressors and send them a fixed penalty fine in the post or by drone!

Edited by JMD
  • Agree 3
  • Cheers 1

M S E Refugee
3 minutes ago, kibuc said:

Edit: someone mentioned Vivobarefoot - pricey but very comfortable indeed, got one pair of moccasins for clubbing.

What type of Clubbing?

Dance or Seal?

• Lol 10

31 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

Steady on, remember a spokesman for big pharma apparently said the other day no-one was forced to take the vax.  I think a few polos said the same too.

• Agree 4

59 minutes ago, dgul said:

Wilko has gone.

Not surprised, people blame management, market conditions etc.

No mention of the actions of the local councils making town centres practically inaccessible due to road schemes, speed bumps, pedestrianisation, cycle lanes, and most of all parking restrictions and charges.

Talk about killing the goose.:Old:

• Agree 10

3 hours ago, ThoughtCriminal said:

Don't get me started on this. 

I used to buy Merrell chameleon and they'd last forever. About 7 years ago I walked the Camino De Santiago over the Pyrenees and across Northern Spain and I had to ditch my brand new Chameleons after 4 days as they'd started falling apart. I've tried Salomon, North Face, Adidas, Nike, all absolute shite, don't last more than a couple of months. 

I now wear Altra. Not cheap but zero drop and wide toe box, much better for your feet and body overall.

I know similar people who have bought "decent" brands and they've fallen to bits - amazing really, build up your brand and then destroy it by shipping production to some crappy factory in China - they deserve to lose their businesses. My son's new hiking boots fell apart on his very first hike, might have been Salomon.

I've walked to Santiago twice, once from St Jean Pied de Port and once from Porto in Portugal. I started out in an old pair of hiking boots that I'd already had for years, they got me to Santiago twice, but then they did fall apart. Had my money's worth out of them for sure.

Last pair I bought were £60, Mountain Warehouses own brand with Vibram soles. Now four years old, done a fuck of walking in them and they are still sound. A lot of the expensive brands are now shit so might as well buy cheaper and sometimes it's surprising how good they are.

• Agree 6
  • Informative 4

ThoughtCriminal
1 hour ago, Eventually Right said:

Do you have any views on Hoka, TC? I'm meant to be walking the Camino De Santiago in a month or , tried Salomon, Merrell, North Face etc, and finally settled on these, with an extra wide toe box:

speedgoat-5-wide-2e-mens-trail-running-shoes-blue-coral-evening-primrose-p7500-29552_image.jpg

I haven't tried them but I read up on them previously and I've only heard good things about them so I think they'll be spot on 👍

Is this your first Camino?

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Harley said:

Butting in......:o

Having tried once, IME that's a rabbit hole to over analyse.  I content myself with just looking at our cash balances.  Thankfully, most of our brokers are multi-currency and we do watch forex quite closely. 

Our core model portfolio is largely regional ETF based so limited UK exposure (UK is buried somewhere in the European ETF).  We took care to select ETFs with a proper country spread (i.e. not high US).  Then there are commodities and PMs which sidestep the issue.  Bonds are US and EM, with all UK bonds now sold at a loss.  Perversely, we got stung last month on our unhedged US bond holdings as GBP strengthened.  Could be reversing soon though.  Will ditch US bonds once the USD improves as we get more in cash (USD) atm. 

We also carefully selected our shortlist of upside (intermediate tradable) ETFs to ensure global exposure for the sectors, plus we include country ETFs.  Individual stocks are quite few atm but per DB, international (UK listed) or overseas listed.  IMO, if you get the international investing right, the currency risk declines (diversifies).

Yes, it's not as easy to do as you might imagine. I'm trying to come up with a method that keeps it simple but gives me a broad idea. I was pretty surprised with my initial spreadsheet showing that I was still over 50% in GBP, way too high.

• Informative 1

5 hours ago, onlyme said:

Went to an event that covered supermarket promotions, quite of often apparently it is the supermarket that dictate the timing / type of offer with price they were willing to pay.  The suppliers wish to keep their favourable shelf positioning so are not in a position to really say no so pony up stock at heavily reduced margins but I suppose do get the additional exposure, for whatever that is worth in follow on sales.

Things certainly are changing, Aldi/Lidl seem to have middle isles either stuffed with more tat than useful stuff compared to pre-pandemic / inflation stocking or more selected food lines whch are not exactly cheap in many cases. A move to more branded product runs the risk of not really appealing to any particuar core group in some ways,  last visit to Aldi (admittedly after peak rush) the place was strewn with boxes, obviously understaffed and stock items (presumably the popular / in demand items) missing  all over the place - not sure this would appeal to the upper shopper segment whilst also not providing the product for sale to the lower / budget conscious shopping there in the first place.

Also quite noticeable is staff turnover. A few years ago you'd see the same core group running the local Aldi/Lidl  year in year out. Now it seems a complete set of new faces and they don;t stay there long either.

I can't say the same where I am - local Aldi and Lidl always normally well stocked and see the same staff faces regularly. 

They aren't as happy/cheerful as they used to be - certainly - and I take your point about certain ranges being reduced and more branded items - but I guess it depends on where you are.

• Informative 2

16 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

About 22% not including my house.Family has over 60% though.Most of mine is 5 years cash i always have,BT,and a few other stocks etc.Lots on FTSE still of course,but where they earn most outside the UK.Even TEF earns around a quarter from the UK.

That sounds a pretty good figure given the shitshow that is the UK at the moment and the high risk of a currency slide. I'd like to get mine down to a similar figure, 20 - 25% would be happy with, over bloody 50 at the moment, I thought it was way less than that until I had a proper look.

ThoughtCriminal
11 minutes ago, Starsend said:

I know similar people who have bought "decent" brands and they've fallen to bits - amazing really, build up your brand and then destroy it by shipping production to some crappy factory in China - they deserve to lose their businesses. My son's new hiking boots fell apart on his very first hike, might have been Salomon.

I've walked to Santiago twice, once from St Jean Pied de Port and once from Porto in Portugal. I started out in an old pair of hiking boots that I'd already had for years, they got me to Santiago twice, but then they did fall apart. Had my money's worth out of them for sure.

Last pair I bought were £60, Mountain Warehouses own brand with Vibram soles. Now four years old, done a fuck of walking in them and they are still sound. A lot of the expensive brands are now shit so might as well buy cheaper and sometimes it's surprising how good they are.

Couldn't agree more. There's very little correlation between quality and price these days.

The Camino is the best thing I ever did, I didn't want to come home. If money was no object I'd have carried on, just be a wanderer for life lol

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Love / Hugz 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Harley said:

Yep, saving some after cancelling the home delivery.  I do miss the buzz of getting a slot during lockdown though.  Good game, good game.  Maybe they should have been up at midnight, etc if that desperate.  Loved our chats with the drivers over the gate, telling us how Armageddon (not) was going!  Haven't forgotten them and the rest like most folk. 

image.jpeg.0c841e56e1e6fb62bc881904c996a27e.jpeg

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

4 hours ago, Harley said:

For now, we'll be picky

Are you in the stock market business? I noticed you always say "we."

Apologies if you just mean your joint family finances. But would be great to have an actual professional onboard.