DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 6)

spunko

reformed nice guy
3 hours ago, jamtomorrow said:

Break that 460,000km down over the population, it works out less than a yard of cable per household per year up to 2050.

Think about all the white good, electrical goods, toys, charging cables etc that the average household buys new each year. There is probably a yard of cable already in all of that

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, jamtomorrow said:

That tells me very little - the scale of civilisational infrastructure is always mind-boggling. The answer is always "It's a lot of stuff" - yeah, no shit.

Break that 460,000km down over the population, it works out less than a yard of cable per household per year up to 2050. This in a country where the middle classes are still habitually whazzing thousands per household per year on mindless discretionary spend.

It's not unrealistic or unachievable, just unrealistic and unachievable in a country that can't divert a fraction of its consumption into capital formation.

Agreed. But it's probably not about giving information. Instead these types of articles (and the eco-reporter behind them) are usually all about presenting false choices. Eg, You can have maintained roads or new electricity cables - but you can't have both. 

Edited by JMD
  • Agree 1

Yadda yadda yadda
9 minutes ago, reformed nice guy said:

Think about all the white good, electrical goods, toys, charging cables etc that the average household buys new each year. There is probably a yard of cable already in all of that

We would need more domestic cables for the fabled green transition. Heat pumps, car chargers (or bikes for those that can't afford them), a lot of wiring upgrades for increased loads, smart devices to report back usage, probably things I haven't thought of. Perhaps charging cables could be made that last longer. Not sure why they fail, except to keep industry going selling replacements.

19 minutes ago, reformed nice guy said:

How thick are the conductors though? A yard of USB charger cable is probably equivalent in copper content to a millimeter of high voltage overhead stuff...unless I am missing something?

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

The politicians from all side seem to be so focused on the woke agenda and ensuring benefits are ever increasing they seemed to have forgotten what their real job is, (i.e. ensuring the UK is competitive and staying ahead of the game). We really are in a mess. I've got two children, early 20s, and the future looks very bleak IMO

send them out to australia, seriously.  we need all the white, unjabbed young people we can get.  And whilst the future here is going to be messy, it's going to be a LOT less shitty than the UK, I predict.  We have, for example, six very very anti-vaccine MP's and 4 anti-vaxx political parties already.

• Informative 9
  • Love / Hugz 1

13 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

We back onto farmland.A month or so back,the farmer approached me by my spud patch and started chatting.First time in near 18 months of our tenancy.So I engaged,nice bloke.

He seemed keen to work out my angle on our retnal and I explained 2% gross yield/couldnt mortgage for less than 5% etc.We tlaked a bit about economy more broadly as he had two kids trying to sell big houses.Long story short,he rents his land,works all days,all year,pays £15k in land rents,spends 6 weeks a year living in a caravan near his sheep(lambing I think).Bloke works very hard/long hours.Told me he'd talked all his kids out of going into farming and we tlaked about the economics of farming

I came away from the covnersation thinking how we've been living off people like him for years. @Joncrete Cungle might know what he'd be earning as a tenant farmer but there's no way I'd consider it for less than say £60k and even then,I'm wincing say that.

As a society,we have a generation of self starters in their 50's all looking for an exit.When I look at our little family invesment project,it'd take a 20%-30% return on capital in a reasonably bouyant marekt to get me to give up the security of our oil/baccy/comms invesments.

I think you're absolutely right that returns are going to need to rise to draw more people into setting up businesses especially given the hassles with the VAT/Tax man

when you sya there's been a turn do you mean in the qualitry of busniesses for sale as well as the amount?What differences have you noticed if you dont mind me asking?

I'd say that the quantity of businesses for sale is definitely rising, and people's expectations now are certainly more realistic than they were re: sale values than 6 months or a year ago. I suspect that this is because people are seeing the margins in their own businesses collapsing, and as a result are resigned to selling for much less than they thought previously.

In buoyant markets people can afford to hang on to businesses not making very much in order to facilitate a decent sale, but no one wants to work for free or worse, pay to keep something running for very long.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 4

Agent ZigZag

One question that has always puzzled me on this thread is that if we are to re tool who are we going to sell these goods to and do we have a strong competitive advantage over our competitors with access to cheap reliable energy. Will our goods be sold to the international market or purely an internal market whereby the velocity of money just circulates around under a new homegrown consumption market.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

6 hours ago, jamtomorrow said:

Interesting to see you post this @sancho panza while I was thinking about the question upthread about "what does a successful economy look like?".

Top of my list would be self-sustaining capital formation.

The UK has struggled with this for decades. DB's concept of an economic "backbone" falls somewhat into this category, although it would be good to have any formation whatsoever these days, let alone self-sustaining - see BritishVolt, for example.

Capital formation is both the cause and the symptom - not only does it sow the seeds of productive employment and economic sovereignty, it also feeds that intangible sense of shared endeavour. Of a country that's "doing something".

Then contrast that with the decades of malaise and economic autophagy where we've gradually consumed our little-remaining productive capital. A country that's not "doing something" - see the bennies bill.

Obsession of UK elites over FDI three *decades* ago was a sure sign all was not well here. Early 90s it seemed like a minister popped up on TV every other week to sing the praises of some multi-national or other building a factory here or there. Whereas that was in fact the writing on the wall.

Capitol (self-sustaining) and Social (shared-endeavour) cohesion. I do like the sound of that.

But I bet our useless shortsighted polos would condemn it as being too last-century or sounding far too much like being an out-moded 'national purpose'. 

• Agree 2

leonardratso

id say the only way we could compete internationally would be on quality? as weve mentioned earlier our stuff was expensive but lasted, victorian values etc.

All this talk of copper cable is bunk, simply make it out of gold, theres lots of that in every indians house. Ill bet the pikeys have a stash that theyd be willing to sell back to the grid that they got it from.

• Lol 5

AlfredTheLittle
16 minutes ago, ottokar said:

That should be the Conservative party slogan for the next election, it might actually work.

I desperately hope not. Much as I dislike Starmer and Labour, I would vote for them over the current incumbents, whose only selling point is to claim the other lot are even worse.

3 hours ago, Axeman123 said:

Somewhat related, although the man is obviously talking his book

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-12232123/Sir-Rocco-Forte-invest-overseas.html

Forte mentions people needing to be carried along with a belief that there is a destination for this country, but that tragically there is no destination. Is he alluding to that 'National Purpose' thing I mentioned?    ...Now I think about it, perhaps it could be the name for a new political party, although maybe it sounds just a bit too right-wing!

Edited by JMD
  • Agree 2

belfastchild
2 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Got a letter from my electricity supplier.

GOOD NEWS, wholesale electricity prices are down 8% and we're passing the saving on to you....

....however the government assistance is ending, so that still means your electricity is going up 5% overall....

Trollface - Wikipedia

Which reminds me to submit a meter reading on 30th June!

• Informative 1

belfastchild
1 hour ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

We would need more domestic cables for the fabled green transition. Heat pumps, car chargers (or bikes for those that can't afford them), a lot of wiring upgrades for increased loads, smart devices to report back usage, probably things I haven't thought of. Perhaps charging cables could be made that last longer. Not sure why they fail, except to keep industry going selling replacements.

Not sure Ive mentioned it before in this thread or others but you have to look at GB in terms of energy consumed per household.

Over here in NI, its primarily heating by oil heating but most cooking etc is done on electricity. As a result, generally speaking the local cables from transformer to house have to be of a higher capacity and IIRC 100A is the standard connection here to every home.
Over in GB its been mostly gas heating and cooking, its been a few years since I looked but I dont think 100A connection is the standard, heard it was as low as 60A or even 30A for newbuilds/apartments. Gonna be fucked if you need to switch over to heat pumps, electric cooking, never mind electric cars.
The first people in a street to switch will be ok due to balancing requirements, after that, not so. Its why in my street there are only 2.5 solar connections, thats all the local end of the grid can handle.

• Informative 11

jamtomorrow
1 hour ago, Chewing Grass said:

400kV lines need 2000mm2 cables max, so assuming a typical pylon with 6 pairs of hung cables and there will be more at this rating  to handle higher demand then the worst case is that the UK will need 135 Million Tonnes of Copper for its new green grid.

This will be pointless due to the amount of energy required to mine, process, manufacture, transport and install the stuff.

The green argument in reality is non-existent.

135 million tonnes is a lot of copper. Especially when the cables are aluminium

• Lol 3

3 hours ago, Nomad said:

The politicians from all side seem to be so focused on the woke agenda and ensuring benefits are ever increasing they seemed to have forgotten what their real job is, (i.e. ensuring the UK is competitive and staying ahead of the game). We really are in a mess. I've got two children, early 20s, and the future looks very bleak IMO

Woke indeed. And yes i agree that our 'not-for-pupose' polos have for many years been little more than social workers. In recent times they've also taken on international charity worker responsibilities by facilitating 3rd world immigrant entry into this country. 

• Agree 1