DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 6)

spunko

jamtomorrow
1 hour ago, Cattle Prod said:

Wait till someone tells them there's not enough copper for a grid rebuild either. Then I guess they'll announce a full nuclear rebuild...till someone tells them the uranium is all contracted. I have my piece of both.

@Cattle Prod what is your estimate of how much copper will be needed? With overhead cables on the high voltage network being aluminium, I suppose it's stuff like transformers and busbars where the copper is needed?

How does the back-of-a-fag-packet calculation look for that?

• Agree 3

22 minutes ago, Innkeeper said:

Inflation will not be going away soon....

It will have more than halved by year end, and there will be a clamour for interest rate cuts - to get ahead of the curve. 

• Lol 1

17 minutes ago, Stuey said:

It will have more than halved by year end, and there will be a clamour for interest rate cuts - to get ahead of the curve. 

Little stuey will be living under the bridge at the end of the road he used to own a house in.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, RJT1979 said:

Little stuey will be living under the bridge at the end of the road he used to own a house in.

You can buy gas for 80p per therm now, it had previously been over £7 if you go back less than twelve months. It's a no-brainer that will cause inflation to be transitory and plummet 

• Informative 1

25 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

Overall,it looks highly likely that capital will demand higher returns to deploy in the UK going forweard,which in itself is inflationary.

Somewhat related, although the man is obviously talking his book

Sir Rocco Forte has said he is investing overseas and giving Britain a miss due to the Government's lack of economic direction.

The 87-year-old owns a chain of luxury hotels, including Brown's in London's Mayfair, as well as The Balmoral Hotel in Edinburgh.

But Forte told the Mail that he had ripped up plans to pump money into the UK economy through opening a series of boutique hotels in regional tourist centres, such as Oxford, Bath and the Cotswolds.

He said: 'I have abandoned that. I would rather invest overseas where I can get a good return.

Forte pointed to Sicily, where he opened a hotel resort with the help of a 25 per cent subsidy of €14m and was made an honorary citizen after creating hundreds of jobs and invigorating the local economy.

'We can't compete with that in this country in the same way.'

Forte said the UK government's policies were 'restricting enterprise' and there was no compelling economic vision from UK leaders.

He said: 'People have got to be carried along with a belief in something, a belief there's a destination which we are trying to reach. There's no destination at the moment and that's been the case for the last 15 years in this country, with Labour and Conservative.'

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-12232123/Sir-Rocco-Forte-invest-overseas.html

• Informative 9

sancho panza
5 minutes ago, Cattle Prod said:

I don't really know JT, but there is a lot of news coming out about copper supply problems, particularly in Chile. I don't follow copper production too closely, but there are two big things in common with oil and gas: 1) It takes about ten years to get a big new project going, 2) Copper production will follow the same normal distribution any other resource does. And apparently the large legacy mines have dropping production, as do the large copper miners. Declining ore grades is the same thing as the oil industry going for shale (which is exactly the same as a poor quality ore grade), except you can't frack copper and make it flow out of the ground.

One other thing in common I suppose is a political assumption that it's just 'there' and you can have as much of it as you want. 

image.png.f1c18640ecec24e79066052153819db5.png

It doesn't work like that.

I was scanning this list for financials, but I noticed most of them had declining production.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/15-biggest-copper-companies-world-132108207.html

Gorozen also has a good piece on copper in this quarters newsletter.

https://info.gorozen.com/2023-q1-hubberts-peak-is-here

Snippet:

image.png.0f3adfdffe58f2df50e75fe7fafdcda8.png

Comments welcome, especially from our transmission system experts. How much copper will be needed to transmit 50 GW of wind power into the grid, and how on earth do you balance it and stop the grid blowing out?! 

image.png.3109cbc72e412016941fafb69933489f.png

Mckinsey Feb 23.For my cyncial old eye,this is classic 'wishspeak' from people with an aim and no realisitc plan of how to get there.

This is straight out of the @DurhamBorn 'economic ambush' playbook where 50 mn new fridges in India throws the best laid WEF plans into utter chaos-'what do you mean they want to store food.....'

Another thing you need to consider is that during covid,a lot of South Amewrican exploration was shut down due to mainly socialsit govts in Chile/Peru who were fully on board the coof train.

Full article worth a read but you'll see in the final para they use the word that should never be used when forecasting supply in key commodities-the Scottish word.

https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/metals-and-mining/our-insights/bridging-the-copper-supply-gap

One such commodity is copper, which is an essential ingredient for this process. In fact, electrification is projected to increase annual copper demand to 36.6 million metric tons by 2031. Although current supply projections based on restarts, certain or probable projects, and recycled production offer a pathway to 30.1 million metric tons, another 6.5 million metric tons of capacity (an additional 20 percent) remain to be found.

However, the adoption of new emergent technologies—including coarse particle recovery, sulfide leaching, and process optimization with machine learning—has the potential to close a significant portion of that gap (Exhibit 1). The obstacles to commercialization and widespread adoption are not trivial, and the numbers presented in this article are an estimate of full potential, not a forecast. But technological levers should be recognized alongside new mine development as part of the solution.

image.png.d9cf9ca9158fde62402ba2b2b803e5e8.png

The trend of declining copper head grades is well established and unlikely to be reversed. Similarly, oxide ore bodies, which do not require concentrators and can be processed through less capital-intensive routes, are being exhausted. The mining industry has responded to these challenges by processing ever-increasing volumes of sulfide ores. In fact, over the past ten years, the volume of ore sent to concentrators has increased by 1.1 billion metric tons, representing 44 percent growth.

Nevertheless, to supply via traditional methods the copper needed for the energy transition, miners will have to repeat this feat again, increasing the volume of ore processed by another 44 percent by 2031 (see sidebar, “About the research”). Of the 1.6 billion additional metric tons of ore required, 0.6 billion metric tons can be provided by recently announced mines or expansions. However, a gap of one billion tons per annum remains. There is an imperative to extract more metal from the ore being mined.

Metal buyers

For buyers of metals, the supply constraints facing the metals necessary for the energy transition can appear daunting, but new mineral-processing technologies are an indication that human ingenuity and the market economy tend to find a way to provide. However, this is not an invitation for passive optimism: buyers have a role in working with the supply chain by funding and promoting technological breakthroughs where they can. This requires careful analysis and staying abreast of industry trends.

As the world electrifies, the demand for copper will be difficult to meet. However, with innovative new mining and processing technologies, there is hope. Players from across the industry, from mine operators to developers to metal buyers, can make moves today to support the implementation of these new technologies and to innovate further. If they do, they could provide humanity with the key resources it needs for the future.

• Informative 8
  • Cheers 3

Just now, JoeDavola said:

Got a letter from my electricity supplier.

GOOD NEWS, wholesale electricity prices are down 8% and we're passing the saving on to you....

....however the government assistance is ending, so that still means your electricity is going up 5% overall....

Trollface - Wikipedia

8% ?!

92% would be a closer guess 

1 minute ago, Stuey said:

8% ?!

"As wholesale electricity costs have reduced, we have reviewed our unit rates the utility regulator. This has resulted in a 7.1% decrease."

So fair enough it's not the wholesale costs that have gone down that much, that's just how much of a saving they're passing on.

leonardratso

when have you ever seen a 92% decrease in price on anything? unless you are stealing it.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, JoeDavola said:

"As wholesale electricity costs have reduced, we have reviewed our unit rates the utility regulator. This has resulted in a 7.1% decrease."

So fair enough it's not the wholesale costs that have gone down that much, that's just how much of a saving they're passing on.

If NI is anything like GB, there's about ten other charges they have to lump on top.

CfD, Renewables Obligation, Capacity Market, transmission costs, distribution costs, line losses, green gas levy, warm home discount, Feed In Tariff levelisation....etc etc

17 hours ago, MrXxxx said:

Worth a listen, especially regarding UK property:

https://many-happy-returns.captivate.fm/episode/how-high-will-interest-rates-go

...but what I find amazing is that we have two educated economists [one worked in the city and US], yet the only way they can see to reduce inflation is to have a recession this then creating unemployment, reducing the number of jobs per person available, and so reduce inflation caused by wage demands......surely you could reduce the number of jobs by increasing the number of people available for work, and do this by reducing benefits and so making work a more attractive option?...doing the latter would give you extra economic benefits as well i.e. reduce government spending bill, no recession, more disposable income to be spent into the economy, more tax return....to me it seems the obvious/best solution, or am I missing something?

You can control people more easily when they are on benefits. I think governments like that.

• Agree 10

1 hour ago, Cattle Prod said:

I don't really know JT, but there is a lot of news coming out about copper supply problems, particularly in Chile. I don't follow copper production too closely, but there are two big things in common with oil and gas: 1) It takes about ten years to get a big new project going, 2) Copper production will follow the same normal distribution any other resource does. And apparently the large legacy mines have dropping production, as do the large copper miners. Declining ore grades is the same thing as the oil industry going for shale (which is exactly the same as a poor quality ore grade), except you can't frack copper and make it flow out of the ground.

One other thing in common I suppose is a political assumption that it's just 'there' and you can have as much of it as you want. 

image.png.f1c18640ecec24e79066052153819db5.png

It doesn't work like that.

I was scanning this list for financials, but I noticed most of them had declining production.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/15-biggest-copper-companies-world-132108207.html

Gorozen also has a good piece on copper in this quarters newsletter.

https://info.gorozen.com/2023-q1-hubberts-peak-is-here

Snippet:

image.png.0f3adfdffe58f2df50e75fe7fafdcda8.png

Comments welcome, especially from our transmission system experts. How much copper will be needed to transmit 50 GW of wind power into the grid, and how on earth do you balance it and stop the grid blowing out?! 

image.png.3109cbc72e412016941fafb69933489f.png

I recall reading how the giant copper mines have been in production for a hundred years or some crazy long time and are a bit long in the tooth now. The original orebodies were something like 6% copper, new copper discoveries are often 0.1% - quite a difference.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 5

Yadda yadda yadda
6 hours ago, Bilbo said:

At last the truth is coming out. But I would say low interest/printing from the banking crash not just from lockdown.

Free to read.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/06/26/britain-inflation-crisis-blame-covid-bailouts-bank-england/

“But we won’t leave future generations with a tab they cannot repay so we have taken difficult decisions to balance the books and get debt falling.”

What attempts have been made to balance the books?

Also the article wasn't free to read for me. I had to paste it into 12 foot ladder. Perhaps free to people who have registered?

All this copper talk, Harmony bought into a copper mine last year gold, uranium in the tailings apparently and also gold

Maybe it's one to build a holding position in for the future 

Anyway

44 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

We back onto farmland.A month or so back,the farmer approached me by my spud patch and started chatting.First time in near 18 months of our tenancy.So I engaged,nice bloke.

He seemed keen to work out my angle on our retnal and I explained 2% gross yield/couldnt mortgage for less than 5% etc.We tlaked a bit about economy more broadly as he had two kids trying to sell big houses.Long story short,he rents his land,works all days,all year,pays £15k in land rents,spends 6 weeks a year living in a caravan near his sheep(lambing I think).Bloke works very hard/long hours.Told me he'd talked all his kids out of going into farming and we tlaked about the economics of farming

I came away from the covnersation thinking how we've been living off people like him for years. @Joncrete Cungle might know what he'd be earning as a tenant farmer but there's no way I'd consider it for less than say £60k and even then,I'm wincing say that.

As a society,we have a generation of self starters in their 50's all looking for an exit.When I look at our little family invesment project,it'd take a 20%-30% return on capital in a reasonably bouyant marekt to get me to give up the security of our oil/baccy/comms invesments.

I think you're absolutely right that returns are going to need to rise to draw more people into setting up businesses especially given the hassles with the VAT/Tax man

when you sya there's been a turn do you mean in the qualitry of busniesses for sale as well as the amount?What differences have you noticed if you dont mind me asking?

Whilst working in online advertising I didn't realise how good I had it with margins and pretty much low risk as some companies would pay us daily or every 3 days, then it all became too much headache increased competition nobody thinking for themselves just copy and past all outbidding each other on ad space and then the different timezones 

So I walked away and closed my company accountants, VAT exchange rates, and HMRC all added to the headache, the dividend tax doesn't help either

looking around at a lot of businesses now and thinking their margins are fucking mental, one significant fuck up can set a company back if not destroy them, so much debt and little rainy day funds

Edited by DoINeedOne
  • Agree 9
  • Informative 1