DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 8)

spunko

RupertT
33 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

anyway back on point.scargill ,hypocrite you say.made me wiki him.incredbile.

appreciate your insights into how he split pit villages.my mums from one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Scargill

Legal disputes

In 1993, Scargill tried to use Thatcher's flagship Right to Buy scheme to buy a flat on the Barbican estate in central London. His application was refused because the flat in the Barbican Estate's Shakespeare Tower was not Scargill's primary residence.

agreed,as ever you get all the 'waste of time voting reform'/'plastic tories'.there are a lot of very p1ssed off people out therre

doesnt really matter their politics but theyre likely to be the biggest recipient of swtiching tories and righties like myself who wouldnt vote for a maintream party.

He came to speak at my college at university c. 1987, so post strike.  He just sat at the front of the room and took questions from students.  While polar opposites politically, he was the most charismatic speaker I've ever heard, and I can completely understand why he was able to get where / do what he did.

• Informative 10

Long time lurking
13 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

The Indians seem to be buying Silver hand over fist at the moment.

Is that a real life anecdote or a YouTube/ Twitter anecdote ?

There`s a clear social media ramping operation going on which started about three weeks ago ,,,it smells very much like Max Kiser of a decade or so ago which was successful at getting it close to$50 but it held for days at most IIRC, which was my point 

• Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

Mandalorian
3 hours ago, One percent said:

They've already started on those who are actually productive. 

So stop being productive.

Accelerate the system collapse.

• Agree 5
  • Love / Hugz 1
  • Cheers 1

M S E Refugee
3 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

Is that a real life anecdote or a YouTube/ Twitter anecdote ?

There`s a clear social media ramping operation going on which started about three weeks ago ,,,it smells very much like Max Kiser of a decade or so ago which was successful at getting it close to$50 but it held for days at most IIRC, which was my point 

I have noticed the same thing, it does seem to be heavily promoted at the moment.

In February, India imported a record level of 2,200 metric tonnes (70.7 million ounces) of physical silver. Over half of the silver demand comes from the industry as it has the highest electrical and thermal conductivity of all metals. Buoyancy in sectors like solar, semiconductor chips and the development of electric vehicles, which use lithium-ion batteries, are going to stimulate industrial demand and lead to price appreciation of silver.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 3

5 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

I have noticed the same thing, it does seem to be heavily promoted at the moment.

In February, India imported a record level of 2,200 metric tonnes (70.7 million ounces) of physical silver. Over half of the silver demand comes from the industry as it has the highest electrical and thermal conductivity of all metals. Buoyancy in sectors like solar, semiconductor chips and the development of electric vehicles, which use lithium-ion batteries, are going to stimulate industrial demand and lead to price appreciation of silver.

All I know is that if your silver miner starts pumping silver's "supply deficit", "China's solar panel use" and "green revolution", it's time to sell. The same goes for those who change their name to Generative AI Resources.

Those that'd rather talk about their exploration plans, cost effectiveness and operational improvements might be worth keeping.

Edited by kibuc
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 3

4 hours ago, headrow said:

I'm sticking £20k in a cash ISA on the first day of the new tax year. I know there are loads of stocks yielding way more than the 4.45% I'll get from Barclays but I've decided I can do without the hassle of pouring over where to invest it. I'm sure I'm getting lazier as the days get longer:D

Agreed, we're still looking to simplify.  A defo Pareto once you reach a certain £.  For example, some shares may offer a better div but at more risk than cash or an ETF. That means we would not put the same £ into an individual share than say an ETF so there would be more to manage with individual shares.

Btw, and not a rec, but there are money market ETFs we're looking at which roll up the interest so presumably it'll be cgt, not income tax, so possibly good for cash outside a tax wrapper where the annual cgt allowance might go to waste.

Not that we have that problem.....!

• Informative 3

4 hours ago, Errol said:

You'll be losing a large amount of value then, given the ongoing and systemic destruction of paper currencies.

Depends on risk.  Seen plenty of div shares lose lots of capital value.  A bit of everything for us. 

Tbh (and unpopular!) we're getting a bit annoyed with div stocks, etc due to the price volatility around div dates (mucks up trend following a bit) and the long waits between those dates where all sorts can happen.  Prefer total return, so accumulation funds and trading the div players.

Our approach is to sit at our fortified base in cash and cash like derivatives, and then venture out on the odd fighting patrol when the intel is good.

Medals all round for our current patrol which has been out for about three weeks with good results, including almost a doubling of gains yesterday/today thanks mainly to the miners.

GDGB, etc:  Talk about price confirming old resistance as the new support!  And as for that symmetrical triangle on the XAUGBP daily chart leading to a breakout, classic....!

Edited by Harley
  • Informative 2
  • Lol 2
  • Cheers 5

One percent
50 minutes ago, Mandalorian said:

So stop being productive.

Accelerate the system collapse.

I have. Way ahead Of you there. As the old saying goes, if you can’t beat them, join them. xD

• Agree 2
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

There are more disgruntled people out there than may be apparent. We live in a rural Tory voting area but it's not loads of toffs but farmers, self employed people, owner businesses etc. Big Tory majority at the last election, big Brexit leave vote.

Had a long chat with the owner of our local garage yesterday. Proper mechanic, covered in oil, big wrench in his hand. Weaved through lots of topics including the rise of the  'far' right, Brexit, failure to deal with immigration, strength of sterling, useless political parties and politicians, coming great depression version 2, etc etc.

He is not happy. I didn't ask him who he'd vote for but I would guess Reform.

Similar conversations with fellow villagers on a regular basis. 

This could be a very interesting election. A likely win for Labour but perhaps with a relatively poor % share of the vote. Their honeymoon period will be very short indeed.....

I might run for election.  I like the pension.  :)

image.png.154faefa9336df8b6fdf3dd051f3d458.png

Edited by Harley
  • Agree 1
  • Lol 2
  • Cheers 2

One percent
1 minute ago, Harley said:

I might run for election.  I like the pension.  :)

And the expense allowance 

Castlevania
21 minutes ago, One percent said:

And the subsidised bars

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, One percent said:

Yes I like that very much, very much indeed.

image.png.f6fa84efc88f898d39597e8ad377eeda.png

Edited by Harley
  • Lol 2
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

UK's Thames Water in crisis after shareholders refuse to pay up (msn.com)

Thames Water's nine shareholders include Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System, the UK's Universities Superannuation Scheme, a unit of the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority and the China Investment Corporation.

Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited – the trustee of the UK’s largest private pension scheme by way of assets 

The Universities Superannuation Scheme is a pension scheme in the United Kingdom with £89.6 billion under management as of August 2021 (up from £67 billion in 2019 ). It has over 400,000 members, made up of active and retired academic and academic-related staff (including senior administrative staff) mostly from those universities established prior to 1992 (staff in the post-1992 universities are mostly members of the Teacher's Pension Scheme)

• Informative 4

26 minutes ago, Harley said:

And they said never. 

But they did also say smart meters would help you manage your energy consumption......but not quite in the way you thought.  

Zero trust.  Total distrust.  Nothing is in your best interests.  Smiling faces and happy music are alarm calls as are aggressive tactics (energy suppliers in this instance).

I mean FFS, ya don't have be Einstein to suss a smart meter ain't going to help you cut usage, especially if you're all ready cutting back on everything.

All ya have to do is slow down, sit down in a quiet place and think.  And if it ain't ever clear, just think a bit harder.

I'll never have one, they've tried and tried and I ignore them.

Eventually they will be a legal requirement.  Guaranteed

Edited by Plan-b
  • Agree 7

One percent
3 minutes ago, Castlevania said:

And the subsidised bars

Ive been in them, and the subsidised restaurants and the terrace.  It looks to be nice work if you can get it.  

• Agree 1

Just now, Plan-b said:

Eventually they will be legal requirement.  Guaranteed

They kind of sort of already are. If your meter meets end of life and needs to be replaced, companies are apparently obligated to fit a smart one unless there's a good reason (and I don't think customer's veto qualifies) not to do so.

"However, according to Ofgem, your energy supplier must change any traditional meter to a smart meter unless there is an adequate reason not to, so while you could request a traditional meter, this is not guaranteed to work. "

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/bills/energy/how-beat-smart-meters-surge-pricing-energy-bills/

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2
  • Vomit 1

One percent
3 minutes ago, Plan-b said:

I tried to get one coz solar panels. They told me to fuckoff.  xD

• Lol 2

5 minutes ago, Plan-b said:

Yep, as usual.  I've been holding out for a bung but now need one to get the cheap overnight tariff.  But then the meters recently broke so who knows.  Ideally solar panels and self sufficient for most of the year.  Maybe we'll just go completely off grid for everything.  Or move.

7 minutes ago, One percent said:

Ive been in them, and the subsidised restaurants and the terrace.  It looks to be nice work if you can get it.  

You can try "interviewing" for it......! B|

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

Long time lurking
6 minutes ago, kibuc said:

They kind of sort of already are. If your meter meets end of life and needs to be replaced, companies are apparently obligated to fit a smart one unless there's a good reason (and I don't think customer's veto qualifies) not to do so.

"However, according to Ofgem, your energy supplier must change any traditional meter to a smart meter unless there is an adequate reason not to, so while you could request a traditional meter, this is not guaranteed to work. "

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/bills/energy/how-beat-smart-meters-surge-pricing-energy-bills/

You simply don`t let the fuckers in 

• Agree 3

5 minutes ago, kibuc said:

Yep, mines been on end of life for many years. I still ignore the feckers. 

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 2

One percent
5 minutes ago, Harley said:

Yep, as usual.  I've been holding out for a bung but now need one to get the cheap overnight tariff.  But then the meters recently broke so who knows.  Ideally solar panels and self sufficient for most of the year.  Maybe we'll just go completely off grid for everything.  Or move.

You can try "interviewing" for it......! B|

Nah. Daughter two worked there. No way would i want to work in that arcane nest of vipers.