DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 8)

spunko

Chewing Grass
1 hour ago, Long time lurking said:

I have not got a clue if this is correct ?

Kia EV9 is actually bigger and heavier than that pickup weighing in at 2600Kg, with a driver (not fat) it can hit 60mph faster than a Porsche 911, the 7 Seater offers class leading occupant protection (fuck everyone else it hits) at 2% BIK.

• Informative 2
  • Lol 4
  • Cheers 1

I don't own it and I've haven't followed it, but was browsing some PM names and noticed Sibanye has been trading below the Mar 20 lows for a while, even before today's sell off. Superficially looks like a great buy.

What's the catch? Does it have problems?

Edited by marceau
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 3

Long time lurking
4 hours ago, jamtomorrow said:

@Transistor Man what do you make of this?

150 days to 2 hours *sounds* like quite the game-changer, but how much of the overall time and cost of producing one of these pressure vessels is currently tied up in that "150 days"?

https://bnnbreaking.com/world/sheffield-forgemasters-revolutionizes-nuclear-power-with-electron-beam-welding

Is it really a game changer ? 

It`s not like we are knocking out small module reactors every six months is it 

No doubt it`s a step forward for sure ,but China have a thorium SMR online already ,have we even got a test bed running ?

2 hours ago, invalid said:

You can claim back the additional 20% via tax return, for the first £10k. After that you have to contact HMRC, not sure if that means you can claim above that or not.

Depends on circumstances.  Seek professional advice.

Edited by Harley

Bobthebuilder
1 hour ago, nirvana said:

time for some Arctic Monkeys methinks

Fucking tune.

First time I saw them was at Reading 11am in a tent at the back of the festival, you couldn't get in, 20 deep at the tent entrances. They headlined the main stage a year later. What a fucking band.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Kendo said:

Ouch! GDXJ down by 7% today - nearly touching last year’s low. Another day like today and it’ll be hitting the Sep 22 low.

buying opportunity.  i'll get some more, then sell when it is over 45.  rinse and repeat.

• Agree 4
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, wherebee said:

buying opportunity.  i'll get some more, then sell when it is over 45.  rinse and repeat.

Buying low and selling high?  Yeah good luck with that

• Lol 11

Just now, Loki said:

Buying low and selling high?  Yeah good luck with that

I tried the other way but it was less successful.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 10

Just now, wherebee said:

I tried the other way but it was less successful.

Well I'm not giving my secrets away for free

• Lol 8

Long time lurking
37 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Fucking tune.

First time I saw them was at Reading 11am in a tent at the back of the festival, you couldn't get in, 20 deep at the tent entrances. They headlined the main stage a year later. What a fucking band.

I think these were inspired by them ,probably the best band that never was from Wales in decades 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Kendo said:

Ouch! GDXJ down by 7% today - nearly touching last year’s low. Another day like today and it’ll be hitting the Sep 22 low.

I only have access to the Blackrock Gold D acc fund in my SIPP (shit I know) and have been waiting for this dip to pile in for the long term.

So I am not clear that despite all the miners in the fund getting butt fucked today 🤣 that the fund went up 9p to 1127p. (0.8%).🤷🏻‍♂️

I assume there is a lag in reflecting actual price…I know it takes 2 days to buy so perhaps that’s it…..if not I guess everyone would sell/buy and game the fund. Ie so if I buy in the morning it takes 2 days by which time I imagine the price will begin to reflect today (and tomorrow, whatever that may be) when it eventually goes through? 

Just wondered if anyone else has come across this with funds and whether I am missing anything. 

Edited by Pip321

Castlevania
1 hour ago, marceau said:

I don't own it and I've haven't followed it, but was browsing some PM names and noticed Sibanye has been trading below the Mar 20 lows for a while, even before today's sell off. Superficially looks like a great buy.

What's the catch? Does it have problems?

Palladium’s halved over the past year. There was the whole EVs narrative but all the Western automakers are cutting back on them. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative 4

56 minutes ago, Pip321 said:

I only have access to the Blackrock Gold D acc fund in my SIPP (shit I know) and have been waiting for this dip to pile in for the long term.

So I am not clear that despite all the miners in the fund getting butt fucked today 🤣 that the fund went up 9p to 1127p. (0.8%).🤷🏻‍♂️

I assume there is a lag in reflecting actual price…I know it takes 2 days to buy so perhaps that’s it…..if not I guess everyone would sell/buy and game the fund. Ie so if I buy in the morning it takes 2 days by which time I imagine the price will begin to reflect today (and tomorrow, whatever that may be) when it eventually goes through? 

Just wondered if anyone else has come across this with funds and whether I am missing anything. 

I’m certainly not the most informed but my understanding is that 2 days to clear is not unusual for commodity funds. Equity/bond funds clear quicker I think. Not sure why. More informed people than me might know.

• Cheers 1

Bricks & Mortar
6 hours ago, Long time lurking said:

I was hoping for a collapse in the price of used trucks.  It seems I'll be disappointed in the near term, as it's only for new trucks from 2024.  Existing trucks will continue on the current tax until 2028, or the lease expires.
I guess there might be good sales of new trucks in the next few months, and a glut of 4 year old ones in 2028 though.  Perhaps I'll plan to buy one of those.   (I wouldn't be issuing it to anyone as a company vehicle, so I don't think I'd have to pay the benefit-in-kind tax.  Would totally take the back seats out if I had to.)  

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/consumer/pick-ups-face-huge-tax-hike-they-lose-commercial-vehicle-status

• Informative 1
  • Bogged 2

7 hours ago, sancho panza said:

This is getting to be one of those contrarian moments me reckons

For the record I don't think the PM sell off is over. Gold pissed away too much time around the highs during this cycle; the longer the wait for the 'inevitable' triple test (Tavi Costa :wanker:) breakout took, the less time there was left in the cycle to test the downside. That generally means the corrections have to break significant lows in very short periods of time. It could get messy.

It's gone too long without correction, and there's too many longs massed in the trade waiting to be flushed out. Could last a couple of weeks, could last a couple of months, but if they get that flush (without nuking gold's technicals) I want to be buying the best of what their selling. The miners have to offer a better proposition than other forms of leverage I can get on the underlying. I'm not touching the streamers at all.

• Agree 4
  • Informative 6
  • Cheers 1

Democorruptcy

This looks like a disaster waiting to happen

Bank of England plans to stress test insurers on exposure to reinsurance firms

New ‘exploratory scenario’ comes as concerns mount about risk posed by offshore arrangement to UK savers

UK businesses are offloading about £50bn a year in pension liabilities to insurers, after rising interest rates improved pension scheme funding levels and fuelled activity in this market.

As insurers race to free up capital to do more deals, they are entering into transactions to pass on a slice of those liabilities — and the assets that back them — to reinsurers, which are often located offshore in places such as Bermuda.

The growing trend for these deals has prompted concern that they might be creating a vulnerability through what the PRA has called a “concentrated exposure to correlated, credit-focused reinsurers”. Pension trustees have also said they are worried about the potential threat from such arrangements.

The PRA has now told executives that, in next year’s stress test, it plans to include an “exploratory scenario”, modelling the impact on insurers of a failure in their funded reinsurance arrangements, people familiar with the matter told the Financial Times.

The scenario would probably include the collapse of a significant funded reinsurer being used by the life insurer, meaning that the risks are “recaptured” by the primary insurer, the people said. In such a situation, the insurer would be put back on the hook for the pension risks, but potentially without the assets that had been set aside.  

https://www.ft.com/content/cd8a972e-2f84-4cfa-a2c4-cd1114f83eab

• Agree 2
  • Informative 3
  • Bogged 1

DoINeedOne

BodyShop has gone under, actually quite shocked about that one as it always seemed busy and alot people in my family like their products but they did go woke so... Reading up on it since 2006 its been passed round owned by different companies and debt as usual then a private equity firm owned it for the last 3 month Aurelius

Edited by DoINeedOne
  • Agree 2

ThoughtCriminal
12 hours ago, Long time lurking said:

That's going to absolutely kill the new pickup market. Only a fuckwit bureaucrat who's never worked a real job in his life would think that tradesmen don't use all five seats on jobs. 

Think I'll see if I can get a few pre July 2024 ones from copart as they'll be in big demand.

• Agree 8
  • Informative 2