DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 9)

spunko

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

I like this. Its funny.

ECB will need more rate cuts if Fed holds back, says policymaker

Head of Italy’s central bank highlights risk of US stance pushing up global borrowing costs

https://www.ft.com/content/0112fe8d-856f-43aa-9bbb-c2106b00b5d6

The European Central Bank is likely to need extra interest rate cuts if global borrowing costs are pushed up by the US Federal Reserve maintaining its restrictive monetary policy stance, a top eurozone policymaker has said.

Fabio Panetta, head of Italy’s central bank, said in a speech on Thursday that if the Fed keeps rates on hold longer than markets expect, or even raises them, it would be “likely to reinforce the case for a rate cut [by the ECB] rather than weakening it”.

Been out there a couple of days, surprised no one really commented on it.  Guess no one cares about the ECB.  

Does this mean a reduction in interest rates in June is almost certainly on the cards?

We have been very clear: if things move in the same direction as they have in recent weeks, we will loosen our restrictive monetary policy stance in June. Assuming there are no surprises between now and then, as you say in French, it’s a “fait accompli”.

Interview with Le Monde (europa.eu)

Interview with Luis de Guindos, Vice-President of the ECB, conducted by Éric Albert on 16 April 2024 and published on 23 April 2024

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

40 minutes ago, Red Debt Redemption said:

Clog it up, I've rellies getting to same age but all they know about is the 25% lump sum as I said about it while they doze off to Netflix not bothering their arse. Didn't know about can take above the £12570 ish as some kind of 25% tax free amount AND a 25% lump sum later?

Cloggy here!

You'd best get that doubled checked.

Drawdown entitles you to an initial 25% tax free payment before receiving the rest as taxable income.  UFPLS entitles you to a series of payments of which 25% of each is tax free.

I'm not sure you can UFPLS and then switch to drawdown and then take the upfront 25% tax free payment, plus probably not the full 25% anyway as you have already taken some tax free.

Btw, I believe the 25% is limited in total to 25% of the (old) LTA regardless, if applicable.

PS:  Personally, I would only take such financial advice over a few sheets of blank paper and a pint!  Even here I've needed two G&Ts! :)

Edited by Harley
  • Agree 3
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Fabio Panetta, head of Italy’s central bank, said in a speech on Thursday that if the Fed keeps rates on hold longer than markets expect, or even raises them, it would be “likely to reinforce the case for a rate cut [by the ECB] rather than weakening it”.

'"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing'.  HGTTG.

• Agree 2
  • Lol 3
  • Cheers 1

DurhamBorn
1 hour ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Thank you for the reply DB, I don't want to clog the thread up, but I presume this withdrawal would be once a year rather than say monthly?

Il do a full years on my 55th birthday or the day after,then likely do them every 4 months from the following April in the next tax year.

• Informative 3
  • Cheers 1

CannonFodder
36 minutes ago, moneyscam said:

Why am I not surprised an MIT professor would say something as stupid and hubristic as 'so what?'

Apart from trashing your reputation as a safe haven to store assets and the international reserve system established in 1922 , two can play at this game. The Russians played the long game here - they knew they were never going to see those assets again but wouldn't / couldn't reciprocate whilst they were frozen. Now they have been officially stolen they have the necessary cover to do the same to the West.

The tit for tat asset swapping here though is not as significant long term as the trashing of the reserve system IMO - we're back to the return of capital being more important than the return on capital and an acceleration of the building of an alternative global system of trade and finance outside the control of the West.

Guess that's my Gazprom finally gone.

Perhaps I should just have gone to Moscow afterall to Gazprom offices lol.

Don't blame Vlad for that, just our idiot leaders.

Not only is it tit for tat, it's 288 billion unfrozen which will pay for a few years of the Russian defence budget.

• Agree 10
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Pip321 said:

Anyone seen my Poly.?

IMG_0084.jpeg

It's due to the downsizing of the Royal Navy. I'm shorting canonballs, telescopes, and gin.

• Lol 1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

Il do a full years on my 55th birthday or the day after,then likely do them every 4 months from the following April in the next tax year.

Edited by Harley

18 hours ago, MrXxxx said:

Agree, but this is as a result of AAL portfolio issues i.e. major holding by SA govt pension so they are unlikely to vote against their own interests, DeBeers link to Botswantan govt etc...these are the factors that BHP insist are 'sorted' prior to deal. That said, if AAL could get them sorted fairly quickly other miners i.e. Rio, Glen may be interested in making a counter offer and this could then change the valuation upwards.

AAL now rejected BHP offer, basically saying BHP were taking the pi$$....I agree!

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

Abdn pays its Divi in a few days….of course nothing to do with going ex dividend but I thought at 136p it might dip a little further almost on a physiological viewpoint as investors see the divi land and it reminds them to perhaps then sell and trade

Well there are many well researched trading theories, methods, analysis structures and physiological principals, and just for the record….this one of mine is shit and didn’t work  😆😆

I think I might buy an extra ladder of BT instead and try get a 6/7% nudge up trade…..that’s doing shit and I like shit.

Could be worse…I could have bought Superdry.🤦🏻‍♂️

• Cheers 1

headrow
31 minutes ago, Pip321 said:

Abdn pays its Divi in a few days….of course nothing to do with going ex dividend but I thought at 136p it might dip a little further almost on a physiological viewpoint as investors see the divi land and it reminds them to perhaps then sell and trade

Well there are many well researched trading theories, methods, analysis structures and physiological principals, and just for the record….this one of mine is shit and didn’t work  😆😆

I think I might buy an extra ladder of BT instead and try get a 6/7% nudge up trade…..that’s doing shit and I like shit.

Superdry was toast when middle aged people starting wearing their gear:D

• Agree 3

DurhamBorn
29 minutes ago, Pip321 said:

10.5% outperformance of the mystical S&P 500 since @Mandalorian refused my bet.I knew i should of said a week instead of 3 years  :D .

There is chatter BT might cut the divi to speed up fiber rollout as VOD has given them the cover.The shares would likely be hit if they did,the flip side is if they dont (they have no reason to on the balance sheet) and they move to offering mid term guidance instead of short term they should move higher.I think they are worth £2.50,but how and when we ge there i dont know.Labour government is also a worry.

• Agree 6
  • Lol 2

Yellow_Reduced_Sticker
42 minutes ago, Pip321 said:

ffs its 1.47 this morning!:CryBaby:

theres us TIGHTWADS thinking we can slip in and pick some up at 10% discout to DB recent buying price lol!xD

ah well,i'm off to carry on with my gardning wearing my tall hat with a capital D on it!

btw, rumour has it @MrXxxx has recently bought Superdry:o

sup.jpg.3858c573eab070c5e2c275657666712c.jpg

Edited by Yellow_Reduced_Sticker
  • Lol 6
  • Cheers 2

belfastchild
14 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

WE must have a similar birthday I had the 6 month to go email the other week. At the moment I would like to just withdraw divis on a regular basis not go into drawdown. I must look into all this, time is fast approaching.

14 hours ago, Harley said:

Terrible compared to the others.  Not a fan of AJB based on personal experience.  Also far better (and up to a point tax free) rates outside the tax wrapper.

This highlights the need for planning (as I mentioned upthread today) if you want to minimise tax later on.   

However, it's also important to appreciate the unique risks arising once gone into drawdown

Yes, my plan is to take the tax free amount only. I only started the pension 5 years ago so tax free amount is only about 20k. Current plan is for that to go straight into one of my isas. I have a cash isa renewing about the same time paying 4% but the AJB s+s isa isnt paying very well. Ive been transferring from that into the pension to mostly cash over the last year just for the tax free figure, although the oilies I bought in Dec 2019 were headlined for that (up 100% and 70% not including divis at the minute).

Im not planning to take anything else out of it. The original plan was set up when mpaa was the 3k odds and tax thresholds were rising. I ordered a new car 'for the business' last year before they raised the mpaa threshold and locked in allowances so thats sort of fecked that original plan rightly. As mentioned before it was just to use the interest/divis from the various isas tax free and when my residual income drops down below the threshold to top it up with drawdowns from the sipp. I mention the car as that was going to be my tax write off but I didnt look before ordering that the writedown is now only 6% per annum instead of the 20-25% I had original thought ;-) Still, could have bought an electric car at 100% write down but I would have needed my head read to do that!

The current plan is just to take the tax free amount, transfer it to one of the isas and then start taking a small income from that (or use the 5k interest free allowance and keep it out of a tax wrapper). Ive reduced my premium bonds holding from 50k down to around 33k now with no plans to bump that back up again.

I get a fixed non-index linked pension from my other one, which was only one of two options available at the time, although the tax free lump sump was a no brainer at the time. It was a pension I never thought I would see (years of legal wrangles) so Id made arrangements outside of it. Who knows, maybe they will change the rules in future so I can get access to the pot. Thats a lot of money the government can get VAT, premium tax, rates and all sorts from.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 3
  • Cheers 2

46 minutes ago, Yellow_Reduced_Sticker said:

ffs its 1.47 this morning!:CryBaby:

theres us TIGHTWADS thinking we can slip in and pick some up at 10% discout to DB recent buying price lol!xD

ah well,i'm off to carry on with my gardning wearing my tall hat with a capital D on it!

btw, rumour has it @MrXxxx has recently bought Superdry:o

sup.jpg.3858c573eab070c5e2c275657666712c.jpg

Cheeky bugger!...prices do the opposite when I buy...just call me Mr 'Buffet' Xxxx.

sancho panza
49 minutes ago, DurhamBorn said:

Iv come to the full conclusion that what is driving the collapse of the west is the inflation protecting of the polos,elites and the whole government set up.They lose nothing (until the end,then they lose everything) from their hubris but gain.UK car production fell 27% mostly due to lunatic net zero policy,yet that will not make any difference to those civil servants or their handlers.They will be glad of less traffic.The amount of theft is incredible.Or in macro terms saved labour transfers.Its not current labour/work taxation anymore,thats past its limit and cannot fund anywhere near the costs.They are taking savings through huge financial repression,and i think we will see them change to "an average inflation target" so they can keep real rates negative.

Still we will keep fighting,we are at war ,but at least we know their battle plans.

you've madea  series of compelling arguments to support that thesis DB.I'm a watcher here and much as the posts themselves inform,so does the frequecny and tone in which they are made.

if we went back to early 22 and 2021,there was little talk of coallpse but as policy arror has compounded policy error,I've noticed the SME's in their fields get collectively more gloomy about the outcome.

the west is headed directionally inot a seismic crash and is possibly about to reach a velocity where it cant pull back from the impact.

I saw an old buddy the other night.he was bemoaning the state of Brimingham(he grew up in a serious sh1thole bit of it and it's got even worse with the enrichment thats followed).bags of rubbish and rats all over.he was also telling me about his mate's kid who has blagged an English degree without any GCSE's( don't ask).He was incredulous that a Uni wouldnt carry out some basci checks but the kid got £50k in loans he wont be paying back.

insto decay if ever I heard it @ThoughtCriminal

reading that psot above about real rates staying negative jsut made me think I might actually hang onto some of our goldies.

intetresting to newmont getting bid heavily last night.we're now nearly in the green on that.is that the insto money arriving?

image.png.257240a3c7bf10db61aa84ccbb3e49b9.png

• Agree 8
  • Cheers 1