DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 9)

spunko

36 minutes ago, JMD said:

I wonder how 'transformative' that road journey for Germany might be? I have said before that Germany is a very (ahem) 'fluid and adaptable' nation.

(Hope am not taking thread too 'off-piste', as I believe these type of power dynamics will shape the ultimate future of Europe/Russia relations)

I couldn't find the Peter Hitchens article on 'The EU is the Continuation of Germany by Other Means', however I think the following makes a similar(?) alarming point(?!)...     (Btw, am not attempting to merely smeer the Germans, if such events can happen there, they can happen anywhere)

However the below (it's the second entry) is a reply by Peter Hitchens to a history professor who'd criticized an article Hitchens had written regarding the true nature of Nazism, it is very long but does have many fascinating historical insights - plus more importantly I think it contains a very sobering modern day lesson concerning the scarily close parralels between so-called 'far left/right' authoritarian power politics.

https://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/first-world-war/

My one hope/caution is I heard a lot of things about Germany before moving there only to find most of it made sense or did not exist. 

• Agree 1

leonardratso

was that back in 1940?

Id go for the free uniform, lovely quality. And those hats were to die for.

• Lol 6

43 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

Sh1t getting real in the land of the rising sun.Chickens are looking for a perch

a roadmap for turning a sov debt crisis into a currency crisis? @DurhamBorn

https://wolfstreet.com/2024/04/16/yen-drops-to-155-against-usd-currency-collapse-at-work-50-against-usd-since-2012-32-since-2021/

Yen Drops to 155 against USD. Currency Collapse at Work, -32% against USD since 2021, -50% since 2012

Turns out, collapse of the currency is the price Japan is now paying for years of crazed monetary policies.

image.thumb.png.c4a1f270dbbb75480f8a595d4e74ca80.png

The only thing that is amazing is how long these kinds of crazed monetary policies can be maintained before something breaks, but then something does break, something big, like a currency. And the free-lunch theory that had driven all this turns out to have been fake.

The BOJ has started to react in tiny baby steps, but there is nothing in these tiny baby steps that would stop the destruction of the yen – it’s still destroying the yen, but in slightly smaller increments.

Yet etf vjpn, etc have been on a bull run since nov23.  That's in gbp and I believe not hedged.  Jpygbp was up then down in that period.  Must have been a strong bull run.  Both currency and etf falling now though.

Edited by Harley
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 4

sancho panza
4 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

Usual desperation from the Media Commentariat..can we cut, can we cut?

Over the last 20 years CPI has averaged 3% and 5% over the last 4. Imagine you had a reverse of that scenario on the undershoot...20 years of 1% CPI and 4 years of 1% DEFLATION. Now if we were likely to suddenly get over target for a couple of months after 4 years of deflation would we now be saying  ffs raise rates. No we bloody well wouldn't. The bias to loose monetary policy knows no bounds.

No wonder we have no trust in fiat.

Agreed.Sh1t getting real this morning for the MSM/Hunt/Sunak/WEF types screaming for IR cuts

Inflation higher for longer as per basement thesis....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/04/17/ftse-100-markets-latest-news-uk-cpi-inflation-interest-rate/

Traders think the Bank of England will cut interest rates just once this year after inflation fell less than expected.

Money markets indicate that policymakers could wait as late as November before beginning to reduce borrowing costs.

Traders are now pricing in just one interest rate cut this year, compared to expectations of five cuts at the start of 2024.

Derivatives trades had implied on Tuesday that a first cut would come by September, and indicated there would be at least three cuts this year just a few weeks ago.

It comes after inflation fell to 3.2pc in March, according to the Office for National Statistics, which was a two-and-a-half year low but less than forecasts of a fall from 3.4pc to 3.1pc.

• Informative 6

Royston
27 minutes ago, feed said:

Hes held 29% for a good long time so it was always surely on the cards, unfortunately for now at least it's still not even uplifted the sp back to where it was just a few months ago and still a long way below where I wish I'd sold up at as a long term holder!

Thoughts from @M S E Refugee our only remaining resident postie?

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, Plan-b said:

FFS 

Buy Some PMs.

Buying Gilts, UK government bonds - Giving your own currency to finance the ever worsening UKgov shit-show. Wars, ULEZ, Woke, Public Pensions, Bennies, Tax, immigration, on and on.

I was semi nodding along until I got to "ULEZ" and "Woke". As for tax, buying low-coupon Gilts literally IS tax avoidance.  I'll take an easy 5% tax-free return on the small proportion of my wealth that's not in equities or PMs. I wouldn't buy anything longer than 2 years to maturity.

If we get to the point where Gilts go in the toilet, everything else will perform very well against GBP.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 2
  • Cheers 2

Alifelessbinary
3 hours ago, Jesus Wept said:

S&P reached an ATH of 5268 on March 28th 2024 - it will fall back to around the Covid low. 

IMG_1593.thumb.jpeg.61ce216c265c433d0eb0531e9854f1d9.jpeg

The Covid low was 2304pts in March 2020.

S&P is currently 5051pts.

IMG_1594.thumb.jpeg.89beaf9951775cf5e7389fe958babf18.jpeg

I reckon 2500 or thereabouts is fairly likely.

The crash started in March - you just don’t know it yet. 

Protect yourselves….

IMG_1595.gif.12c53fe30436e92fa4c116cf435e49cf.gif

Would you short the market based on this call?

While it’s agreed that the S&P 500 is looking expensive based on historic metrics it’s not the only market you can invest in.

The biggest drag to my performance over the last 5 years has been my overweight position in UK stocks. I thought that the commodity, oil  and dividend payers at sensible valuations would provide a hedge against over priced US stocks but the market decided differently.

The simplest thing to predict in investing is a crash, most people on Twitter have predicted 50 of the last few downturns. 

Protecting capital is more important than going for growth for most people. 

• Agree 4
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, sancho panza said:

Yen Drops to 155 against USD. Currency Collapse at Work, -32% against USD since 2021, -50% since 2012

Same as happened here post-GFC. Yet no mainstream news outlet reporting on GBP collapse due to terrible monetary and fiscal policy, it's all the usual "Putin's war" and "Kwarteng's disastrous budget" tripe.

• Agree 9

4 minutes ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

We talk about the inflationary effect of wage and benefits increases. The increase in retirees is also inflationary.

Brother in law is an ex Met copper (one of the good ones, sadly not many left) and retired as soon as he could because the pension is inflation linked, but wages aren't.

• Agree 4
  • Informative 1

Yadda yadda yadda

Sh1t getting real in the land of the rising sun.Chickens are looking for a perch

a roadmap for turning a sov debt crisis into a currency crisis? @DurhamBorn

https://wolfstreet.com/2024/04/16/yen-drops-to-155-against-usd-currency-collapse-at-work-50-against-usd-since-2012-32-since-2021/

Turns out, collapse of the currency is the price Japan is now paying for years of crazed monetary policies.

image.thumb.png.c4a1f270dbbb75480f8a595d4e74ca80.png

The only thing that is amazing is how long these kinds of crazed monetary policies can be maintained before something breaks, but then something does break, something big, like a currency. And the free-lunch theory that had driven all this turns out to have been fake.

The BOJ has started to react in tiny baby steps, but there is nothing in these tiny baby steps that would stop the destruction of the yen – it’s still destroying the yen, but in slightly smaller increments.

This is the big risk for for the likes of @Jesus Wept. Currency decline could smash much of any market crash. I also expect markets to crash at some point but that doesn't mean they will fall much in sterling. Especially as any crash could be largely in real rather than nominal terms. If I was going heavily into cash I would hedge through several currencies. I do have just over 20% in cash.

• Agree 5

4 minutes ago, Alifelessbinary said:

Would you short the market based on this call?

Exactly, surely it's an easy trade to put on when one expects -50% with such conviction.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

This is the big risk for for the likes of @Jesus Wept. Currency decline could smash much of any market crash.

Exactly. This isn't the 1920s, or even the 2000s. The Pandora's box of QE has been opened, and the public have handily been convinced that inflation is nothing to do with QE.

• Agree 7

Mandalorian
5 hours ago, Jesus Wept said:

S&P reached an ATH of 5268 on March 28th 2024 - it will fall back to around the Covid low. 

Will it really...?

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Mandalorian said:

Will it really...?

Of course not. People forget that the Covid low was 4 years ago. How much inflation have we had since then? 25%, 30%, more? Plus the employment element of the Fed's dual mandate that will see them hitting ctrl+P in the face of the sort of economic conditions that would threaten a return to anywhere close to those levels.

• Agree 7

Yadda yadda yadda
7 minutes ago, DurhamBorn said:

These metals seem to be determined to go up,they could be a coiled spring.Its funny seeing the MSM almost begging for rate cuts,you suspect they are up to their neck in property leverage.They need to campaign for massive bennie and spending cuts,because without a huge cut in consumption by the none producing AND a long big ramp up in production,including energy,food,etc etc this inflation will be rising again soon enough.

If they are leveraged on rental property they're fucked either way. Rate rises, fucked. Bennie cuts means rent freezes so fucked. Good.

• Agree 9

Castlevania

Agreed.Sh1t getting real this morning for the MSM/Hunt/Sunak/WEF types screaming for IR cuts

Inflation higher for longer as per basement thesis....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/04/17/ftse-100-markets-latest-news-uk-cpi-inflation-interest-rate/

Traders think the Bank of England will cut interest rates just once this year after inflation fell less than expected.

Money markets indicate that policymakers could wait as late as November before beginning to reduce borrowing costs.

Traders are now pricing in just one interest rate cut this year, compared to expectations of five cuts at the start of 2024.

Derivatives trades had implied on Tuesday that a first cut would come by September, and indicated there would be at least three cuts this year just a few weeks ago.

It comes after inflation fell to 3.2pc in March, according to the Office for National Statistics, which was a two-and-a-half year low but less than forecasts of a fall from 3.4pc to 3.1pc.

Rental inflation at 9.2% annual to March. That’s before they bang up housing benefit by a lot more in April.

• Agree 4
  • Informative 1

Interesting scheme that follows DB's more with less prediction

https://www.shareandcare.co.uk/sharers/

Youngsters living with oldies for very low rent in exchange for jobs/upkeep/company

Mentioned in todays telegraph as it seems to be getting popular in pricier parts of the country.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/property/house-share-with-pensioner-cheap-rent-social-benefits/

I can see some default family inheritors getting a bit twitchy!

• Agree 2
  • Informative 7

Axeman123
1 hour ago, AWW said:

We've quite a few what could be called contrarians on the various FICC desks at work. In reality, they've just experienced a wider range of economic conditions than your average Brit, being Russian, Polish, Iranian plus a few others. None of them expect a rate cut from the BoE this year and all expect the BoE's next move to be an increase, potentially as early as Q4 this year.

Interesting. IMO US govt interest cost is getting systemic, so they are going to do something soon. Maybe they will make "the rest of us" hold even after they cut though - a weaker dollar would see increased demand for USTs.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 2
  • Cheers 1