DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

John Lewis - Never Knowingly Having Retail Experience.

Battenberg

Bedrag Justesen
35 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

people who are richer and better dressed than me, I have to dress up before shopping there to avoid the stares

Try the escalators you can wear what you like.  :)

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

6 hours ago, Popuplights said:

Who is their target demo then? Young people don't shop there because it's too expensive.

Middle class mummies? I don't know the answers, but its not my business. But they had better work it out quickly!!

Boomers with credit cards, same as M&S Food.

1 minute ago, spunko said:

There are no pockets in a shroud.

And if the govt is going to make sure you spend it on your old age care anyway then you may as well spend it yourself before then.

• Agree 4

Chewing Grass
1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

But you can sew some in yourself if you pre-plan.

4 minutes ago, spunko said:

Hardly Boomers, more like Brokers, nobody solvent carries card debt as it is not efficient unless they are broke or foolish.

• Agree 5

• 1 month later...
41 minutes ago, Ash4781b said:

It’s looking like from reports all John Lewis stores to shut. The reports say it’s temporary....

Yep - now the Government is paying 80% of staffs' wages no point keeping shops that don't have enough customers open...

• Agree 2

Assuming the money that poured into pubs n bars n eateries now starts pouring into supermarkets, Inc JL then, as long as they maintain or bump up their  margins, then JL group faces a stonking 2 quarters.

If ...... JL logistics are good.

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, spygirl said:

Who saw this?

Ocado retail profit doubles as grocery delivery soars

https://www.ft.com/content/c2a16edc-973f-4e79-80e7-00e5de9b4973

I certainly didnt.

Posh boys amazon copy, hooking its wagon to posh boys supermarket.

What if JL go down shitter and Ocado survive?

Well, ignoring the the fact that that Ocado and JL are no longer linked, this is the same newspaper, same day but opposite story:

https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2020/07/14/1594725272000/Ocado--show-me-the-money/

Despite the most favourable tailwinds imaginable during the first half of 2020, somehow the “Microsoft of Retail” contrived to burn £26.5m of cash flow. Bringing its total cash burn since its 2010 initial public offering to £574m, according to S&P Global data.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

John Lewis looks to private homes to offset high street pain

Social housing ventures to compensate for margin decline as chair seeks expansion ‘beyond retail’

https://www.ft.com/content/46639bc3-21d9-475d-8a04-850c07f618af

John Lewis & Partners is to expand its financial services business and venture into housing and horticulture after warning that margins in retail are too thin to sustain the company in the long term.

In a letter sent to the group’s 80,000 staff or “partners”, chair Sharon White said a strategic review, which she launched in March shortly after joining, “should see green shoots in our performance over the next nine to 12 months, and our profits recovering over the next three to five years”.

Beyond. Brain dead.

It already has a farm. However theres no money in farming.

As far as social house, jesus. Most JL real estate is in Southern towns. Does not make sense to use as social housing.

• Lol 2

10 minutes ago, Ash4781b said:

Ok so is it one of those reviews where you pay someone to tell you that you are in trouble and the core business is not viable?

Yeah, it sounds like a desperate attempt to remain a trading entity no matter in what form.

Frank Hovis
20 minutes ago, spygirl said:

John Lewis looks to private homes to offset high street pain

Social housing ventures to compensate for margin decline as chair seeks expansion ‘beyond retail’

https://www.ft.com/content/46639bc3-21d9-475d-8a04-850c07f618af

John Lewis & Partners is to expand its financial services business and venture into housing and horticulture after warning that margins in retail are too thin to sustain the company in the long term.

In a letter sent to the group’s 80,000 staff or “partners”, chair Sharon White said a strategic review, which she launched in March shortly after joining, “should see green shoots in our performance over the next nine to 12 months, and our profits recovering over the next three to five years”.

Beyond. Brain dead.

It already has a farm. However theres no money in farming.

As far as social house, jesus. Most JL real estate is in Southern towns. Does not make sense to use as social housing.

Unbelievable.

Watch as a century of accumulated value in the John Lewis Partnership is throw to the winds by a moron.

• Agree 10

On 08/02/2020 at 21:46, sarahbell said:

Don't buy a shroud you spendthrift. Make do with something in your wardrobe. It will only go to the charity shop otherwise.

17 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Unbelievable.

Watch as a century of accumulated value in the John Lewis Partnership is throw to the winds by a moron.

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2020/08/john-lewis-to-announce-radical-shake-up/

The partnership will also trial a series of services such as allowing customers to rent John Lewis products rather than buy them, as well as use the retailer’s website to sell secondhand items to other customers.”

I Can’t wait for all the goods routed from China through dubious UK locations. Or maybe I can sell my old DVD’s like in that shop CEX? 

• Agree 1

Frank Hovis
9 minutes ago, Ash4781b said:

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2020/08/john-lewis-to-announce-radical-shake-up/

The partnership will also trial a series of services such as allowing customers to rent John Lewis products rather than buy them, as well as use the retailer’s website to sell secondhand items to other customers.”

I Can’t wait for all the goods routed from China through dubious UK locations. Or maybe I can sell my old DVD’s like in that shop CEX? 

Yes.

There is having a vision and there is going with the first things that pop into your head because you do not have the first clue how to run a business and should never have been appointed in the first place.

Career civil servant with no retail or even private sector experience as Chair.  Brilliant.  Absolutely brilliant.

It is on a  par with Paul Flowers being appointed as Chairman of the Co-op Bank because he was a councillor and Methodist Minister.  Knowledge of banking sector clearly not a criterion when appointing the Chairman of a sodding bank.

Are all these Boards smoking crack before their meetings?

Why not start a haulage business or explore for oil around the Faklands? That's where John Leiws's core skills of dressing smartly and saying "Can I help you?" will really shine.  Surely.

• Agree 4
  • Lol 1

5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

There is having a vision and there is going with the first things that pop into your head because you do not have the first clue how to run a business and should never have been appointed in the first place.

It's retarded, just like when ITV bought Friends Reunited.

• Agree 2

The Masked Tulip

What do Yahoo, HP and a few other US tech giants have in common just prior to going into huge decline and ramping up lots of debt/losses?

Clue: It's cervix related.

• Informative 1

Frank Hovis
10 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

What do Yahoo, HP and a few other US tech giants have in common just prior to going into huge decline and ramping up lots of debt/losses?

Clue: It's cervix related.

My usual objection is that I have worked for several great women bosses.

When however women are appointed to senior positions because they are women that company is going to crash and burn.

• Agree 5

The Masked Tulip
2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

My usual objection is that I have worked for several great women bosses.

When however women are appointed to senior positions because they are women that company is going to crash and burn.

She is female? I try not to assume these days? 

• Agree 1
  • Lol 2

One percent
2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

She is female? I try not to assume these days? 

Aw come on, you know better than that. You cannot assume anything these days. Just because someone identifies as female, in reality it means nowt.  o.O

The Masked Tulip
1 minute ago, One percent said:

Aw come on, you know better than that. You cannot assume anything these days. Just because someone identifies as female, in reality it means nowt.  o.O

Well, if that person was LGBTQ then also being black and having the surname of White would be ticking so many PC boxes. Would you actually need any experience in running a woke retailer when you have total PC points?