DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

John Lewis - Never Knowingly Having Retail Experience.

Battenberg

Roger_Mellie
10 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Pointless filler makes BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53881214

John Lewis is planning to replace its famous promise to match rivals' prices as its new boss plans radical changes to the business.

"Never knowingly undersold" has become harder to defend as competition from online retailers has become ever tougher.

The new chief executive Sharon White told the Sunday Times she expected the price pledge to go.

The slogan has been in place since 1925.

"The proposition is important because it signifies being fair to society. We're reviewing it to improve it," Ms White told the Sunday Times.

What the fuck does that even mean?

Is she really pledging to be *more* expensive??

Reviewing it to improve it????

Believe it or not this stuff is difficult. Especially when your entire model is being consigned to history by disruptive competition.

They're in the process of trying to work out what their value proposition is, or if they even have one in the 21st century, where do they fit in? who are their customers? Is their addressable market growing or shrinking?

One big issue will be that in JL there'll be shit loads of permafrost in senior management who just can't see any way of doing anything differently. 

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, spygirl said:

John Lewis is planning to replace its famous promise to match rivals' prices as its new boss plans radical changes to the business.

"Never knowingly undersold" has become harder to defend as competition from online retailers has become ever tougher.

The new chief executive Sharon White told the Sunday Times she expected the price pledge to go.

"The proposition is important because it signifies being fair to society. We're reviewing it to improve it," Ms White told the Sunday Times.

I’m not in retail but duck knows how I would have fixed John Lewis.Maybe would have split up Waitrose and the department stores (then jettisoned them). If M &S also isn’t viable that’s taking down the shopping centres who themselves are trying to exit probably through asking local authorities to ‘invest’ or turning them into residential. 

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Believe it or not this stuff is difficult. Especially when your entire model is being consigned to history by disruptive competition.

They're in the process of trying to work out what their value proposition is, or if they even have one in the 21st century, where do they fit in? who are their customers? Is their addressable market growing or shrinking?

One big issue will be that in JL there'll be shit loads of permafrost in senior management who just can't see any way of doing anything differently. 

JL customer were the upper 30% of UK households.

It was that simple.

They buy the top 30% supplier, knowing their customers were not hugely cost conscious, so would pay 30% premium.

They offered a pre selected range of mid to high levels goods, with a no hassle buy policy.

• Agree 4

Roger_Mellie
26 minutes ago, spygirl said:

JL customer were the upper 30% of UK households.

It was that simple.

They buy the top 30% supplier, knowing their customers were not hugely cost conscious, so would pay 30% premium.

They offered a pre selected range of mid to high levels goods, with a no hassle buy policy.

Was that simple. This is why they're up shit creek, full of senior managers with legacy views. The game changed. 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

As much as I'd rather eat my own shite, sadly Rodge I'm giving that one to Pinocchio...

XYY

You do know we are talking about JL not Wilkinsons....

2 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

I'll take it as a limited-edition parmo - if that's alright by you cuntface...

XYY

Shall I put salad on, as a token gesture?

Or shall I just throw it on the pavement, cut out the middle-ahmed?

John Lewis should replace its famous promise to match rivals' prices as its new boss plans radical changes to the business. "Never knowingly undersold" has become harder to defend in the new woke world.

The slogan has been in place since 1925 but is set to be confined to the dustbin of history because of the reference to selling and  "Never knowingly undersold" is a direct reference to the selling of slaves and slavery and has no place in modern retail.

Ms White has said she wanted to reaffirm John Lewis's reputation as a socially responsible retailer and "shout more" about its values, multiculturalism and diversity. So the new chief executive Sharon White should therefore replace the price pledge with ‘Black Lives Matter’.

Edited by satch
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Shall I put salad on, as a token gesture?

Or shall I just throw it on the pavement, cut out the middle-ahmed?

You should drop that on Qanon, to keep the punters guessing, eh @The XYY Man

• Lol 1

1 minute ago, The XYY Man said:

I was going to reply that the only thing that I would drop on Qanon is a fucking humongous turd.

But then I realised that's a case of fighting fire with fire...

XYY

I don't get the fascination with that carefully managed propaganda peephole.

12 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Putting it on your bell-end would be my choice Walter.

Even without my teeth in, the pounds per square inch abilities of my jawbone will crush that tiny nob of yours into dust...

XYY

What you n Juan, your South American male lover, use as lubricant is entirely your choice.

0D809AC700000578-2964532-Hands_on_Lord_M

As a beer drinking, boob lover, it is of no interest to me.

The Generation Game
2 hours ago, spygirl said:

So the new, post-review slogan will be "Being unfair to society"?

9 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

So the new, post-review slogan will be "Being unfair to society"?

She costs several 100k. I'm sure itl be more than that -

Treating middle class cardigan wearing consumers like a 15yo snatched from West Africa and enslaved for whitemans profit.

1 hour ago, The XYY Man said:

Fuck off Tarquin.

I was trying to be nice to you - what with you being a retard and all that.

But now I'm simply gonna dry-bum the fuck out of you...

XYY

spacer.png

• Lol 1

King of Fools
4 hours ago, satch said:

John Lewis should replace its famous promise to match rivals' prices as its new boss plans radical changes to the business. "Never knowingly undersold" has become harder to defend in the new woke world.

The slogan has been in place since 1925 but is set to be confined to the dustbin of history because of the reference to selling and  "Never knowingly undersold" is a direct reference to the selling of slaves and slavery and has no place in modern retail.

Ms White has said she wanted to reaffirm John Lewis's reputation as a socially responsible retailer and "shout more" about its values, multiculturalism and diversity. So the new chief executive Sharon White should therefore replace the price pledge with ‘Black Lives Matter’.

I don’t understand retail. How will shouting about your values increase your sales? 

• Lol 1

4 hours ago, satch said:

She doesn't seem to understand how retail works.

• Agree 3

The problem with John Lewis is that was designed to work in a high trust society, high street based retail environment, with a growing middle class. Basically many (not all) of the postwar years.

Now we are entering the 21st century and heading towards a low trust society (due to multiculturalism), internet shopping, and shrinking of the middle class (due to globalisation and mass immigration), I am not sure it has a future.  

Allowing replacement of faulty goods on demand only works in a high trust society.  Expensive stores only work in a non-internet world.  And only the middle classes can exist in enough numbers to buy quality stuff at inflated prices.

About the only way I could see them getting more years is to go full on the label route - everything in JL becomes branded, so that ownership becomes a boating point for the shrinking middle class and aspirational lower middle.  Bit like smeg fridges.

Oh - the food side is a goer though.  people do want good food and will overpay for it.

• Agree 8
  • Informative 1

On 24/08/2020 at 00:15, wherebee said:

About the only way I could see them getting more years is to go full on the label route - everything in JL becomes branded, so that ownership becomes a boating point for the shrinking middle class and aspirational lower middle.  Bit like smeg fridges.

Oh - the food side is a goer though.  people do want good food and will overpay for it.

Like M&S I think they need to accept reality - they are now a food retailer and nothing more.

The token hire will be booted out by the board soon I suspect, that'll give them a temporary boost but longer term it's time to kill off the John Lewis brand sadly and just focus on Waitrose. Anyone ever shopped at johnlewis.com? Bloody expensive, and the service is appalling, it's rated 1 out of 5 on Trustpilot - hardly a premium experience, so why would anyone pay more for it?

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-8651863/John-Lewis-customers-books-slots-avoid-queues.html

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, spunko said:

rated 1 out of 5 on Trustpilot - hardly a premium experience, so why would anyone pay more for it?

I reckon "Trustpilot" is bunkum. I thought you did too?

Just now, MrPin said:

I reckon "Trustpilot" is bunkum. I thought you did too?

It depends on the company... In this case if a company is rated 1 out of 5 when they are actively asking for reviews, they have serious issues with service that need fixing.

I tend to ignore any that have 10,000 5* reviews, etc.

• Agree 1

On 23/08/2020 at 22:47, dgul said:

She doesn't seem to understand how retail works.

The UK civil service is a Rolls Royce.

You get 9mpg and the car on bricks.

Edited by spygirl

59 minutes ago, spunko said:

Like M&S I think they need to accept reality - they are now a food retailer and nothing more.

The token hire will be booted out by the board soon I suspect, that'll give them a temporary boost but longer term it's time to kill off the John Lewis brand sadly and just focus on Waitrose. Anyone ever shopped at johnlewis.com? Bloody expensive, and the service is appalling, it's rated 1 out of 5 on Trustpilot - hardly a premium experience, so why would anyone pay more for it?

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-8651863/John-Lewis-customers-books-slots-avoid-queues.html

John Lewis fightback: Retailer is testing virtual queues amid fears social distancing and winter weather will kill off sales

Genius!

They pick the worse thing about physical retail and add it to the online offering!

Why not get online chuggers n Roma big issue sellers?

• Agree 2
  • Lol 2