DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

John Lewis - Never Knowingly Having Retail Experience.

Battenberg

1 hour ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

How has their pension deficit rocketed when the stock markets have gone up massively?

I think they do pension fund revaluations every three years so that's several years worth

2 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Incompetent local councils go nuts for big stores, thinking having a John Lewis will de-shitholeify dying towns like magic. The wolves at the big companies absolutely screw them.

Preston kept publishing regeneration schemes around having a JL open in the crappy end. JL never did decide to open there.

Lancashire CC even did road changes to accommodate a proposed IKEA, who promptly dropped the plans as soon as the work was done and money spent. Only incompetent public sector spending other people's money would spend even a penny without any guarantees agreed.

You'd wonder if there was even a Letter of Intent, or if a council would even know what that was.

16 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Incompetent local councils go nuts for big stores, thinking having a John Lewis will de-shitholeify dying towns like magic. The wolves at the big companies absolutely screw them.

Preston kept publishing regeneration schemes around having a JL open in the crappy end. JL never did decide to open there.

Lancashire CC even did road changes to accommodate a proposed IKEA, who promptly dropped the plans as soon as the work was done and money spent. Only incompetent public sector spending other people's money would spend even a penny without any guarantees agreed.

LA Lake Woebegone

Where everything about the local town is decidedly above average. 

If only the rest of he UK would recognise the unique features of Shiteville on the Down.

Yadda yadda yadda
3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I couldn't find full accounts, this was an extract from the extended presentation.

Stocks haven't anyway gone up massively 31 Jan - 31 Jan; the FTSE100 is down over that period.

image.thumb.png.dbefd98dc052bf0390ff1e54a6b209e5.png

Ok, yes if they're fully invested in the FTSE and bonds. That is daft though. International shares were up a lot over that period. The US and Japan up a lot.

2 hours ago, Panther said:

I think they do pension fund revaluations every three years so that's several years worth

That may well be the case but would also suggest that they're not close to funding the pension as markets are up plenty in that time. Really should have been closing any gap.

It may not actually be their fault. They may have to abide by stupid rules.

Edited by Yadda yadda yadda
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

I was thinking that the black CEO is misusing her power to sack a load of largely white people and downgrade the terms and conditions of those remaining.

Why can't public sector people be ruthless in cutting public sector jobs?

In all honesty, I've never heard of someone from the nhs being made redundant....

I'm sure all those JL workers getting the bullet are happy paying tax so the NHS can get a pay rise....

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyB said:

The best thing councils can do is to stay out of people's lives and leave them with more money to spend in the real economy. Most of the services are a scam anyway.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I never knew JL had so many shops. How many more can they close?

They doubled about 10 years ago, when Camoron was doing his hug a hoody bollocks.

Cameron to unveil John Lewis-style public services

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/cameron-unveil-john-lewis-style-public-services-2309907.html

What you want is Amaxon public services - cheap n online.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

They don't publish full accounts that I can see but here are their debts:

image.png.0dfb576f8bd626cd11b7e864ea331827.png

Oddly in a year when they lost £500m their debts have reduced or rather their cash has increased.

I assume this means that some of their stores were freehold and they have been selling off the freehold.  They haven't been doing sale and leaseback as the lease liabilities have reduced.

On the segmental analysis I read that as John Lewis with sales £3.8bn excl vat and an operating profit pre exceptional of  £63mn. So not surprised they are closing the John Lewis stores. I’m in Kent and they seem to be closing the ashford and Tunbridge Wells stores.  However, the extreme end is no shops and just the brand I guess but not much of a plan.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
One percent

Didn’t know where to post this so here will do. Plot lost me thinks. I thought their core demographic was old biddies with too much money

from an email I’ve just received 

We’re proud to celebrate Pride: a month when we come together in unity to support the LGBTQIA+ community.

But for us, Pride isn’t just for June – it’s year-round. At Waitrose and John Lewis & Partners we’re proud to be building a culture in which everyone has the right to be themselves. Inclusion is one of our most important values – it always has been, and always will be.

btw, what do the even more extended alphabets stand for?  

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

The Masked Tulip
7 minutes ago, One percent said:

Didn’t know where to post this so here will do. Plot lost me thinks. I thought their core demographic was old biddies with too much money

from an email I’ve just received 

We’re proud to celebrate Pride: a month when we come together in unity to support the LGBTQIA+ community.

But for us, Pride isn’t just for June – it’s year-round. At Waitrose and John Lewis & Partners we’re proud to be building a culture in which everyone has the right to be themselves. Inclusion is one of our most important values – it always has been, and always will be.

btw, what do the even more extended alphabets stand for?  

Queer? Intersex? Asexual?

Bedrag Justesen
14 minutes ago, One percent said:

what do the even more extended alphabets stand for?  

Asexual.

Assume you know the others.

How do I qualify for my discount, and how much is it ?

Will I need a key fob, a loyalty card, or an App ?

They can't even do a press release properly. 9_9

One percent
2 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Asexual.

Assume you know the others.

How do I qualify for my discount, and how much is it ?

Will I need a key fob, a loyalty card, or an App ?

They can't even do a press release properly. 9_9

You have to prove your gayness by turning up with your boyfriend, wrapped in a rainbow flag, resplendent in your stilettos. 

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

Bedrag Justesen
3 minutes ago, One percent said:

You have to prove your gayness by turning up with your boyfriend, wrapped in a rainbow flag, resplendent in your stilettos. 

Not sure how that will work if they close all their stores ?

Maybe they accept pics ?  :)

• Lol 1

The Masked Tulip
6 minutes ago, One percent said:

Right, got that. Now what else do I need to do?

One percent
5 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Not sure how that will work if they close all their stores ?

Maybe they accept pics ?  :)

Maybe send the infamous dosbods arse pic. :Sick1:

4 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Right, got that. Now what else do I need to do?

Dunno. I’m not exactly an expert in this area. o.O

• Agree 1