DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

John Lewis - Never Knowingly Having Retail Experience.

Battenberg

42 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

John Lewis reminds me of the wizard in the Terry Pratchett book who didn't die when he was supposed to because Death was on holiday.

He was walking around and eating as normal but he made the other wizards uneasy so they avoided him.

Like that wizard John Lewis should be dead but is still shuffling around.

The honourable action to take would be to wind it up now and give all of its workers, partners, a decent pay-off.

Instead that pay-off money is going to be all pissed away on a career civil servant's ideas of how to run a retail business: be more welcoming, diversity, social housing (!).

I suppose it could have been worse; they could have appointed Dido Harding.

This.

It strikes me that whatever they do at John Lewis over the next few years, in truth they are merely playing the fiddle whilst Rome burns - ulitmately they are doomed to fail.

It seems that over the next 5-10 years they will slowly shrink - closing store after store - getting rid of loads of staff before finally collapsing with a huge pension black hole.

They are the equivalent of a Chariot manufacturing business just after the invention of the motor car - they can improve the Chariot as much as they like, but technology has moved on and the business is doomed so the only issue is when will they go pop.

Employing a CEO who has no relevent experience may have sped up the process - but they could have employed a Wizard and it would have made no difference to the ultimate outcome.

They ought to float off the Waitrose business, then close the JL stores - by doing it quickly they could minimise the pain and reduce the overall financial losses.

• Agree 4

longtomsilver

... to reduce costs and revive company fortunes. @Bornagain you are bang on the money. They should spin Waitrose off into a new entity that'll eventually get swallowed up by the likes of m&s, close down all John Lewis department stores following Sharon Civil Service Whites conviction as property developers and sell the brand to either boohoo or next giving the "partners"  a £10k windfall/parachute.

Screenshot_20210715-110942_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210715-111552_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Agree 2

• 2 months later...
41 minutes ago, Heart's Ease said:

My Goodness. What were the Ad Agency thinking? What were John Lewis thinking? What is this John Lewis world we are having a peek into where this is anything like normal behaviour for a child?

As an aside - I would be thrashed absolutely to a pulp by my mum if I'd done even a fraction of that.  

Yep - that brat has no redeeming qualities. The Mrs and I watched the advert and instantly said there is zero chance the insurance firm will actually pay out and if they did it wouldn't be using our money. 

Yadda yadda yadda
2 hours ago, Bornagain said:

It is as if they want to go bankrupt.

John Lewis is two things. The epitome of "nice" middle class lifestyles. A business owned by the employees that therefore treats them reasonably well. Also you can't make a profit out of them.

Both things are to be done away with. Yes, they do want to go bankrupt. At least some people want them to go bankrupt. Including whoever appointed the chief executive.

• Agree 5

3 hours ago, One percent said:

I think this is great.  I might try some of the recipes.

But isn't the woke crowd going to interpret this as cultural appropriation -- lots of middle class white people are going to be making traditional non-white culture dishes?  Perhaps -- horror -- they'll mix-and-match, and have a Caribbean curry with Italian wine, poppadoms for starters and a nice Eaton Mess for dessert?

The above is clearly nonsense and quite possible inflammatory --  but it does sound like the sort of thing that might occur -- we live in a mad world (when it comes to this sort of thing).

3 hours ago, Alonso Quijano said:

Dear Lord, John Lewis pushing its house insurance.

Hmm.  It seems to me that they're portraying a male child that wants to wear girly clothes for a bit, who then goes and behaves in a rather stereotypical boy way, albeit in a dress -- so what's the message here?  What's more, I'd say the lad has some sort of ADHD given his behaviour-- so perhaps they're saying that boys with gender dysphoria (a serious condition that requires proper support) are more likely to have a psychological condition where they're just being challenging -- that's certainly a dangerous road to go down.

I'd say that the advert perpetuates ideas of gender stereotype, rather than treats the subject in a proper manner.

Indeed, I'd say that it is such a difficult topic that it would be best for everyone, those with gender dysphoria included, if marketing folk just kept well away from it.

• Agree 7

2 hours ago, Heart's Ease said:

My Goodness. What were the Ad Agency thinking? What were John Lewis thinking? What is this John Lewis world we are having a peek into where this is anything like normal behaviour for a child?

As an aside - I would be thrashed absolutely to a pulp by my mum if I'd done even a fraction of that.  

Did you grow up in a normal, everyday, million quid house like the one on the ad though?

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Bornagain said:

They are making a big effort to alienate their customer base.

I’m not buying anything from them in future if at all possible.

• Agree 5

Hail the Tripod
2 hours ago, eek said:

Yep - that brat has no redeeming qualities. The Mrs and I watched the advert and instantly said there is zero chance the insurance firm will actually pay out and if they did it wouldn't be using our money. 

The wife said “I can’t imagine anyone finding that cute. If that was my kid, it’d be up for adoption within the hour.”

• Agree 2
  • Lol 2
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Heart's Ease said:

just weird....."let life happen" err ok.  So it's ok to trash a house and behave with wanton disregard for property or decency because you want to let kids be kids.  idk maybe I'm jaded it is just a stylistic ad and has been designed to no doubt get people watching or push boundaries - but aren't boundaries needed for kids.  Coming from JL is quite telling about how crazed it's become here.  Would we see this in Africa or Asia or 15 years ago here?  i suspect not.

Maybe theyv'e just tried to tick to many boxes at once, gender not least.  But hard not to read into further.

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, One percent said:

celebrating black history month with inheritance recipes. 9_9

I wonder if black people will troll them with recipes for chicken and watermelon..    just to take the piss out of them.

• Lol 1

Hail the Tripod
46 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

When he was a toddler, my elder son used to always come back from playing at his cousins in a pink fairy costume.

Edited by Hail the Tripod
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Bornagain said:

They are making a big effort to alienate their customer base.

I’ve said the same about M&S. I was brought up in Marksies, my mother dragged me there regularly. I had a quick look online a few weeks ago and wanted some work trousers. Overall there’s nothing there now that I can relate to and there most definitely isn’t anything there that represents my 80 year old mother., who must have spent thousands there over the years as an uber loyal customer. 

I popped in there to pick up said trousers and it’s full of the middle aged cruise brigade and not this below. They’ve really forgotten who their customers are. I hope they go the the wall.

7A34C104-5F5A-4471-8E80-7F0C8DF729C8.webp

D36701D7-4EE1-485F-B152-96B75D9889EB.webp

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 2
  • Cheers 1

Sums up the problem of having 30 year-old marketing managers, who have exited today's woke education system, making decisions, without the first clue who they are selling to, much less their customers' mindset.

Let them all burn.

Edited by Don Coglione
  • Agree 7
  • Cheers 1

John Lewis is being deliberately destroyed, it’s obvious isn’t it?

An icon of the British high street. An anchor store drawing in shoppers for other smaller retailers. Aspirational. A nice experience as far as retail goes.

The globalists want it whittled away and gone.

• Agree 8

19 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

I’ve said the same about M&S. I was brought up in Marksies, my mother dragged me there regularly. I had a quick look online a few weeks ago and wanted some work trousers. Overall there’s nothing there now that I can relate to and there most definitely isn’t anything there that represents my 80 year old mother., who must have spent thousands there over the years as an uber loyal customer. 

I popped in there to pick up said trousers and it’s full of the middle aged cruise brigade and not this below. They’ve really forgotten who their customers are. I hope they go the the wall.

If the one bottom right is no longer required I could put her to good use.

• Agree 2
  • Lol 1

22 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

Fucking state of it. Never a fan, but iirc I remember watching working lunch and it being the first ftse 1billion squid profit company. 

Bloody hell. I'm going to stop shopping at Waitrose, barely go there anyway these days. 

Only problem is I switched to Sainsbury's but their adverts are full of miscegenation and strange race mixing families.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

24 minutes ago, Liberty said:

John Lewis is being deliberately destroyed, it’s obvious isn’t it?

An icon of the British high street. An anchor store drawing in shoppers for other smaller retailers. Aspirational. A nice experience as far as retail goes.

The globalists want it whittled away and gone.

https://www.johnlewispartnership.co.uk/about/meet-the-board.html

have a look at this and it becomes quite clear what's going on. Only one white, Christian male name on there.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 1