DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

John Lewis - Never Knowingly Having Retail Experience.

Battenberg

Co-op boss to take break to help sons with exams

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60328314

The boss of the Co-op's food division is taking a four-month break to support her sons during their exams.

Jo Whitfield, chief executive of Co-op food, said she will step away from the business from May to help her two sons study for their GCSEs and A-Levels.

She said she wanted to spend more time with her sons to "ease the challenge" in what was a "big year" for them.

Ms Whitfield, who took home £1.4m in 2020 according to the company's annual report, will take four-month unpaid leave.

Youd hope she could get a tutor or two in.

• Agree 4
  • Lol 2

6 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Co-op boss to take break to help sons with exams

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60328314

The boss of the Co-op's food division is taking a four-month break to support her sons during their exams.

Jo Whitfield, chief executive of Co-op food, said she will step away from the business from May to help her two sons study for their GCSEs and A-Levels.

She said she wanted to spend more time with her sons to "ease the challenge" in what was a "big year" for them.

Ms Whitfield, who took home £1.4m in 2020 according to the company's annual report, will take four-month unpaid leave.

Youd hope she could get a tutor or two in.

Well it’s a better excuse than wanting to spend more time with hookers and coke like the last co-op director xD

• Lol 8

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Well it’s a better excuse than wanting to spend more time with hookers and coke like the last co-op director xD

They are such an ethical company, allegedly.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, MrPin said:

They are such an ethical company, allegedly.

I like them. There's currently just over 21 quid on my Divi card, and it also helps support proper local charities ran by volunteers, and not people on a hundred grand a year.

Our local Co-op has a list up on the wall near the counter every month detailing which local groups got some wonga and how much it was. Usually accompanied my some pictures of disabled people in their new football kit, or some underprivileged bairns eating a big plate of pie and chips at Alton Towers...

XYY

• Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Ash4781b said:

“Never Knowingly Undersold” to be dropped. It’s taken a little longer than expected but the date of removal has yet to be announced.

I called Spygirl "never knowingly understood" the other day but don't think he appreciated.

• Lol 1

3 hours ago, Ash4781b said:

“Never Knowingly Undersold” to be dropped. It’s taken a little longer than expected but the date of removal has yet to be announced.

I never understood what it meant, a double negative of what?

8 minutes ago, Panther said:

I never understood what it meant, a double negative of what?

They'd never sell you something if they "knew" it could be bought cheaper elsewhere, except not online.

In 2006 I got them to give me some money back on a TV I bought. The terms of sale had to be identical, inc. warranty duration etc.

They gave me the cash but then were knowingly undersold for several months as they didn't update their price.

• Agree 4

• 2 weeks later...
Frank Hovis
19 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

It's not even mentioned in that article but they still made a loss of £26m.

But they are the BBC's retail darlings so they're not going to mention that.

Profit before exceptional[1] items rebounds to £181m, up 38% on last year.

● Loss before tax was £26m, £491m better than last year.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

One percent
Just now, Errol said:

Long term it's dead. No way it survives.

Who are all these people spending money in the stores?

The oldies.   I like JL. I use it as a showroom to look at stuff, then buy it cheaper elsewhere. Mind, i have bought a couple of things from there. A fridge freezer was the latest and was the cheapest I could find. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, One percent said:

The oldies.  

As I suspected. So give it 20-30 years and JL is finished. Probably much less time than that, in reality - so more like another 10 years.

Nobody 45 and under is shopping in JL. Why would they when they grew up using the internet?

Edited by Errol
  • Agree 1

PatronizingGit

Who shops at JL? is it like the guardian, supported by public sector bodies putting in bloated orders for stuff that never gets used or even looked at in the case of the guardian?

• Agree 1

Hail the Tripod
52 minutes ago, PatronizingGit said:

Who shops at JL? is it like the guardian, supported by public sector bodies putting in bloated orders for stuff that never gets used or even looked at in the case of the guardian?

I don’t think I have ever bought anything in any department store. Although I did nick a few bits and bobs when I worked in Alders as a teenager.

My sister buys everything from John Lewis, as far as I can tell.

• 2 months later...

John Lewis chief urges Government to act on cost of living before summer

Sharon White called on ministers to take the same ‘decisive action’ seen during the coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/sharon-white-government-john-lewis-boris-johnson-white-b999506.html

Windfall tax on John Lewis to pay for Aldi and Lidl shops in poor areas should do it.

• Agree 3
  • Lol 2

Roger_Mellie
On 10/03/2022 at 17:47, One percent said:

The oldies.   I like JL. I use it as a showroom to look at stuff, then buy it cheaper elsewhere. Mind, i have bought a couple of things from there. A fridge freezer was the latest and was the cheapest I could find. 

Where is the nearest JL to Whitby? Must be a hell of a trek just to do some window shopping. 

The XYY Man
29 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Where is the nearest JL to Whitby? Must be a hell of a trek just to do some window shopping. 

I think you meant window licking...!

EDIT: Sorry Onesie, I thought Roger had quoted spygirl not you.

XYY

@One percent @spygirl

Edited by The XYY Man
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 1

The Generation Game
11 minutes ago, eight said:

Someone called John Lewis scored for York City last night.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenell_John-Lewis

Which was also going to be my answer to @Roger_Mellie question (although I understand that one closed down recently?)

If US parliament can swing a $40 BILLION slush fund via Ukraine laundromat then I'm sure Rishi could get some "renovation of all MP flats" legislation through to keep JL ticking over. 

48 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

It was Monks X. Barely lasted 5 years.

Its gone back to Harrogate.

Carl Fimble
On 13/10/2021 at 18:17, Libspero said:

I wonder if black people will troll them with recipes for chicken and watermelon..    just to take the piss out of them.

thats-racist.gif.5b13ceb6a4079ce2ea288fbb4b6484ef.gif

hapax legomenon
On 10/02/2022 at 16:29, The XYY Man said:

just over 21 quid on my Divi card

XYY

Nice, you can get three 1L bottles of Coop finest blended for that

• Cheers 1