DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

John Lewis - Never Knowingly Having Retail Experience.

Battenberg

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

She should change her ironic name. I actually have never heard of her.

Think she is the one currently in charge of deckchairs on the unsinkable ship known as John Lewis. 

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

Think she is the one currently in charge of deckchairs on the unsinkable ship known as John Lewis. 

She will come out of it quite well, and a lot of loyal staff won't.

• Agree 6

19 minutes ago, spygirl said:

John Lewis chair Sharon White tops list of influential black Britons

Pioneering leader receives Powerlist award, with other names listed including Michaela Coel and Stormzy

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/oct/28/powerlist-award-sharon-white-john-lewis-chair-black-britons

Well done Sharon..

Starting with a single shop and building a successful retailer.

She was a permanent secretary at the treasury. It doesn’t get much more influential than that, regardless of skin colour, full stop.

• Lol 1

4 hours ago, SNACR said:

She was a permanent secretary at the treasury. It doesn’t get much more influential than that, regardless of skin colour, full stop.

Was is the key word.

All she does now is fiddle whilst John Lewis slowly sinks.

I would imagine she will abandon ship before the boa actually goes downt.

• Agree 3

She was a 2nd perm sec at Treasury. For 2 years -

White worked for a church in Birmingham before joining the British civil service in 1989. She worked first at the Treasury and later for the British Embassy in Washington, which was where she met her husband Robert Chote. She also worked at the 10 Downing Street policy unit during the Blair government, at the World Bank, and as a director general at the Department for International Development in 2003–09 and then at the Ministry of Justice in 2009–11, and also at the Department for Work and Pensions.[5]

At the Treasury, she supervised a review of the financial management of government and the Treasury's management response to the international financial crisis of 2007–08.[3] She was Director General for Public Spending at the Treasury from 2012 to 2013,[5] and then replaced Tom Scholar as Second Permanent Secretary in 2013.[6][7] She was the first black person to become a Permanent Secretary at the Treasury, and the second woman after Dame Anne Mueller in the 1980s.[6][8]

Tge upper CS is not really that different to the lower CS - just a lot of morons churnung thru roles.

Its 'clever' people making a complex system they cannot or do not understand to control.

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

She was a 2nd perm sec at Treasury. For 2 years -

White worked for a church in Birmingham before joining the British civil service in 1989. She worked first at the Treasury and later for the British Embassy in Washington, which was where she met her husband Robert Chote. She also worked at the 10 Downing Street policy unit during the Blair government, at the World Bank, and as a director general at the Department for International Development in 2003–09 and then at the Ministry of Justice in 2009–11, and also at the Department for Work and Pensions.[5]

At the Treasury, she supervised a review of the financial management of government and the Treasury's management response to the international financial crisis of 2007–08.[3] She was Director General for Public Spending at the Treasury from 2012 to 2013,[5] and then replaced Tom Scholar as Second Permanent Secretary in 2013.[6][7] She was the first black person to become a Permanent Secretary at the Treasury, and the second woman after Dame Anne Mueller in the 1980s.[6][8]

Tge upper CS is not really that different to the lower CS - just a lot of morons churnung thru roles.

Its 'clever' people making a complex system they cannot or do not understand to control.

She’s got a lot of retail experience then?   

12 minutes ago, One percent said:

She’s got a lot of retail experience then?   

She entered the in the world of work in late 80s, going from working ar a church to CS, where shed moved here n there after a year or 2.

Shes unsuitable for any role that isnt chairing a meeting.

Its not just Shazza, the enture CS and Treasury are lacking the hard, technical skills to perform.

The Generation Game
6 hours ago, spygirl said:

John Lewis chair Sharon White tops list of influential black Britons

Pioneering leader receives Powerlist award, with other names listed including Michaela Coel and Stormzy

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/oct/28/powerlist-award-sharon-white-john-lewis-chair-black-britons

Well done Sharon..

Starting with a single shop and building a successful retailer.

I would say that Zuby is more influential than most on that list. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, MrPin said:

Agreed. I reckon Sharon White should become Shamone UmBongo.

Not only will this give her much more credible ethnic points, but she'll also get round @spunko's pathetic rules against having more than one DOSBODS account...!

XYY

@Shamone @UmBongo

Edited by The XYY Man

Happy Renting
10 hours ago, MrPin said:

Nominative appropriation!

Where do I register my complaint?

10 hours ago, Happy Renting said:

Nominative appropriation!

Where do I register my complaint?

Mr Ivor Golfclub

Ryde

Isle of Wight

XYY

• 2 weeks later...
Horris Courtney

For purpose of know thy enemy, often peruse The Guardian's 'Comment is Free' readers' posts on various articles. They've given a general thumbs down to the new John Lewis advert an' if this opinion by one of their readers is anything to go by, reading between the lines, you can easily assume why.

image.png.f4c389efffaaff06ced2b3374c7c4016.png

Oddly enough, the Guardian commentor above scours the DM opinions for much the same reason I do The Guardian's. Is that coincidental or irony, I can't decide.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

• 1 month later...

Well, Shazzas guest edited R4 Today.

Number of topics, round robin of wimmin economists.

She even had the Mud Mud Flanders on. Broke my tale when Mud Mud said ' We need to help the BoE bring inflation down' ...

JL are doomed.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Ash4781b said:

I expect Next plc will want this one in their ‘brands’ when the day comes

Unlikely.

I see JL buying Next.

I mean, what does Simon whatsis name know about retail and logistics compared to a lack women who used to work at the Treasury?

5 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

No, he doesn’t need more immigration. The greedy twat needs to forgo some of his massive income and privileges so that he can pay enough to attract local workers.  

• Agree 5

1 hour ago, Ash4781b said:

I expect Next plc will want this one in their ‘brands’ when the day comes

They seem to be gobbling up quite a few businesses.

I notice they’re doing more and more brand consignment style offerings on their website. Lots of collaborations with brands they don’t stock in their stores that are most like shipped from the manufacturer rather than themselves. No worries about purchasing stock, they probably all link in via API’s to other systems and advertise what’s available without having to give it  another thought. 

The manufacturers will have one central stock system that they link to large companies, catalogues etc. it’s definitely more noticeable now. Even B &Q are selling kettles. It’s just moved on from businesses having multi channel stock management systems to manufactures and wholesalers having one massive multi channel stock management system for those businesses to connect with.

Brands are basically saying, you don’t have to buy and hold our stock anymore you just have to advertise it on you’re extremely busy and we’ll known website and we’ll ship any purchases. 

Edited by Battenberg
  • Informative 3

5 hours ago, Battenberg said:

They seem to be gobbling up quite a few businesses.

I notice they’re doing more and more brand consignment style offerings on their website. Lots of collaborations with brands they don’t stock in their stores that are most like shipped from the manufacturer rather than themselves. No worries about purchasing stock, they probably all link in via API’s to other systems and advertise what’s available without having to give it  another thought. 

The manufacturers will have one central stock system that they link to large companies, catalogues etc. it’s definitely more noticeable now. Even B &Q are selling kettles. It’s just moved on from businesses having multi channel stock management systems to manufactures and wholesalers having one massive multi channel stock management system for those businesses to connect with.

Brands are basically saying, you don’t have to buy and hold our stock anymore you just have to advertise it on you’re extremely busy and we’ll known website and we’ll ship any purchases. 

Quoting myself but drop shipping basically.

Happy Renting

I don't think B&Q have warehouses, hold all stock in their stores.

And won't transfer stock from one store to another if a customer wants it.