DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Death Of London

spygirl

ashestoashes
56 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Ah when the the only two London demographics left meet - 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12082819/Architect-70-confronts-power-tool-wielding-moped-thieves-2-500-bike-Hackney.html

Posh old people living in expensive houses.

And scum of the earth.

they only stopped because two muslem looking blokes walked past and one started punching the scrotes

• Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...

Homeworking risks holding back London’s economy, report finds

Urban policy think-tank warns of long-term hit to productivity from reduced office interactions

https://www.ft.com/content/da48f957-51e1-4657-b7bd-3d161e46b86a

Banning of slave trade will hold back the cane sugar economy ...

OK .... if people homeworking are holding back the ecoonmy then that suggest they were just in London for working i.e. the value is created by them not London.

“Policymakers should be wary that we don’t passively let a public health emergency turn into a longer-term negative impact on the economy,” said Andrew Carter, chief executive of Centre for Cities, which on Wednesday released a report on the effect of homeworking.

And by economy do ou mean cunt railways and offices?

However, it referenced over a century’s worth of academic literature demonstrating the economic benefits of face-to-face collaboration, known as “agglomeration” effects. These “would suggest that there will be a long-term productivity hit” from reduced office activity.

“The big risk here is that hybrid working sees a further deterioration in productivity growth off the back of a poor performance over the previous decade-and-a-half, at a time when the London economy needs to move in the opposite direction,” it added.

Wank.

Having people take themselves into London is massive produtivity drag.

Top rated comment -

When is the obsession with marginal increases to economic output going to finally give way to alternative measures for quality of life? Being able to actually see my kids during the week rather than sitting on a train commuting is not counted in national statistics, but has a hell of an impact on my quality of life, and (I think) my kids. Not to mention almost £40 for a day return for ~45 mins on the train and the terrible reliability of national rail…. My local economy also benefits from having me popping out for a bit of lunch, a coffee or a beer after work. Is this considered? The benefits of being in the office can surely be largely reaped from 1-2 days a week in the office. I will never return to 5 days a week - and will leave any company that tries to force me to.

Agree. Commuters are regarded by London and its interest groups as cattle to be milked daily. Very revealing how entitled Londoners are, how upset they became when suddenly living in the burbs became more desirable.

Maybe to support London productivity they could slash the price n jobs of railway workers and office rents?

Completely agree. Trains are overpriced, overcrowded and often slower than they used to be. There’s also little mention of how work is becoming more global. I used to have to commute 5 days a week at crazy times to sit in an office mostly on calls (by myself) with colleagues in Asia and the US. Now I do that from home. No great impact on my creativity.

This is commercial landlords weeping over unlettable properties. Boo hoo! Office life is fine with hybrid working. Welcome to email, Teams, and even talking on the phone. Business travel is also feeling the pinch, business hotels and even the hotel call girls. All in the same boat as commercial landlords!

• Lol 1

On 15/05/2023 at 09:58, spygirl said:

Ah when the the only two London demographics left meet - 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12082819/Architect-70-confronts-power-tool-wielding-moped-thieves-2-500-bike-Hackney.html

Posh old people living in expensive houses.

And scum of the earth.

You'd have to be mental to be that age and still live in London. Bad enough at any age but at that age you're just a target.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, gibbon said:

You'd have to be mental to be that age and still live in London. Bad enough at any age but at that age you're just a target.

I know several rich-ish parents whove relocatec form large nice Northern hosues to small London flats.

1) Live near kids working in London.

2) OAP travel pass, whcih is worth ~9k/y each.

If youve housing osrted and no need to send kids to Somali high then London is OK -providign the efnks dotn drift out.

Virgil Caine
On 31/05/2023 at 10:02, gibbon said:

There are advantages of being old in London. Some of the countries best hospitals are in the Capital. Public transport is free. The elderly are a smaller percentage of the population so there is less pressure on services for them. My mother in law who lived in London was registered blind. When her husband died she had no problem getting a place in a home for the elderly. 

• Agree 1

Bobthebuilder
On 31/05/2023 at 10:02, gibbon said:

Plenty of old folk in London fella, most get looked after by the local community, known faces that people have time for.

Not picking on you, but so many people on this forum have no fucking idea what so ever about this place.

• Agree 3

Bobthebuilder
11 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

There are advantages of being old in London. Some of the countries best hospitals are in the Capital. Public transport is free. The elderly are a smaller percentage of the population so there is less pressure on services for them. My mother in law who lived in London was registered blind. When her husband died she had no problem getting a place in a home for the elderly. 

My mate lives in Dorset and is almost blind, he loves coming to London because if you let them know about your disability they put someone with you to make sure you get the right public transport to your destination. He says the service is black and white compared to where he lives.

1 hour ago, Bobthebuilder said:

My mate lives in Dorset and is almost blind, he loves coming to London because if you let them know about your disability they put someone with you to make sure you get the right public transport to your destination. He says the service is black and white compared to where he lives.

Now imagine the service when it gets cut to the same £/head as the rest of the UK.

Bobthebuilder
8 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Now imagine the service when it gets cut to the same £/head as the rest of the UK.

They closed the Somerset and Dorset joint railway in 1966, not sure that's coming back. London on the other hand has just built a new railway, which is fantastic by all accounts I've heard.

Wight Flight
2 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

He says the service is black and white compared to where he lives.

Possibly more black than white?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Plenty of old folk in London fella, most get looked after by the local community, known faces that people have time for.

Not picking on you, but so many people on this forum have no fucking idea what so ever about this place.

Lived there in one of the nicer parts of London in my 20s thanks, when the white British were still a slim majority there. The shit I used to see go on there on the daily in those years is more than you'd see in a lifetime anywhere else. Can't even imagine what it would be like to live in one of the rougher parts of London as an white old man. Fuck. That. I'm sure lots of others on here have also lived in London and also consider it a stinking dump.

• Agree 4

Bobthebuilder
1 minute ago, gibbon said:

Lived there in one of the nicer parts of London in my 20s thanks, when the white British were still a slim majority there. The shit I used to see go on there on the daily in those years is more than you'd see in a lifetime anywhere else. Can't even imagine what it would be like to live in one of the rougher parts of London as an white old man. Fuck. That. I'm sure lots of others on here have also lived in London and also consider it a stinking dump.

Where abouts did you used to live up here?

Wight Flight
2 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Like you would have any idea, possibly.

I have previously admitted i don't. I only know the tourist areas.

I am as qualified to comment on living in London as I am in Rome.

However i can see the numbers and direction of travel. It is sad, but not wholly surprising.

Bobthebuilder
3 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Maida Vale

Money dog eat dog part of town. I do like the seashell chippy, city of Westminster over that way.

Bobthebuilder
6 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I have previously admitted i don't. I only know the tourist areas.

I am as qualified to comment on living in London as I am in Rome.

However i can see the numbers and direction of travel. It is sad, but not wholly surprising.

You under estimate the place.

Wight Flight
1 minute ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Possibly.

it is no longer for me, just as many major European cities are no longer somewhere i feel comfortable.

If it works for you that is great, but when tourism has been killed off (which it will be) then it will be an interesting city.

Bobthebuilder
1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

Possibly.

it is no longer for me, just as many major European cities are no longer somewhere i feel comfortable.

If it works for you that is great, but when tourism has been killed off (which it will be) then it will be an interesting city.

Yeah it works for me and my family.

I spend quite a lot of my time outside of town in the shires, down your way across the water. The changes down that way eclipse what's happening up here by miles. Government policy is ruining the countryside.

• Informative 1

5 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Money dog eat dog part of town. I do like the seashell chippy, city of Westminster over that way.

yeah a bit soulless, little venice was nice to look at though. Don't ever think I made it to that chippy, big one on the corner right? 

7 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

the square mile was nice on a recent visit, very clean and the people friendlier than where I am, seemed like it's inside a bubble where I assume the city police just round up the nutters and dump them outside the border.

• Agree 1

Wight Flight
1 minute ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Yeah it works for me and my family.

I spend quite a lot of my time outside of town in the shires, down your way across the water. The changes down that way eclipse what's happening up here by miles. Government policy is ruining the countryside.

If we all liked the same place it would be bloody mayhem.

What changes do you think you have seen in my neck of the woods?

But you would make very good coin down here.

Bobthebuilder
2 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Don't ever think I made it to that chippy, big one on the corner right? 

That's the one, fantastic place.

Bobthebuilder
4 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

If we all liked the same place it would be bloody mayhem.

What changes do you think you have seen in my neck of the woods?

But you would make very good coin down here.

Too many people down that way these days, I grew up down there in the 1980s, places that used to be empty are now rammed with the worse type of people.

As for the money no, to much of an area to cover,