DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Death Of London

spygirl

Wight Flight
1 minute ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Too many people down that way these days, I grew up down there in the 1980s, places that used to be empty are now rammed with the worse type of people.

As for the money no, to much of an area to cover,

Are you talking about the South East or the Island?

Bobthebuilder
Just now, Wight Flight said:

Are you talking about the South East or the Island?

Isle of Wight, Hampshire, Wiltshire and Dorset,

Wight Flight
2 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Isle of Wight, Hampshire, Wiltshire and Dorset,

Oddly from 2011 to 2021 our population only grew by 1.5% compared to 6% for the UK as a whole.

But i would agree that the type of resident has changed, and not for the better.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

Bobthebuilder
9 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

But i would agree that the type of resident has changed, and not for the better.

Whatever you mean by that?

In my opinion its loads of folk moving in, that are not from the area, they stand out like a sore thumb. 

Wight Flight
1 minute ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Whatever you mean by that?

In my opinion its loads of folk moving in, that are not from the area, they stand out like a sore thumb. 

Yes. Never seen so many facebook requests for dog walkers and where to get the best sushi or chai latte (whatever that is)

Seaview was always Chelsea on Sea but it is spreading.

• Lol 2

Bobthebuilder
1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

Yes. Never seen so many facebook requests for dog walkers and where to get the best sushi or chai latte (whatever that is)

Seaview was always Chelsea on Sea but it is spreading.

I guess you love it on the isle, far better places nearby in my opinion, but you have to have six fingers on each hand and talk the lingo, not some Yorkshire stuff.

Wight Flight
5 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I guess you love it on the isle, far better places nearby in my opinion, but you have to have six fingers on each hand and talk the lingo, not some Yorkshire stuff.

No such thing as the Isle.

Every location is different but yes, i am very happy with my current abode. 

Bobthebuilder
1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

No such thing as the Isle.

Showing your lack of local knowledge there.

All my old mates down that way, still work the land, and are piss poor.

Wight Flight
9 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Showing your lack of local knowledge there.

All my old mates down that way, still work the land, and are piss poor.

Not quite.

I am saying that there are many, many different parts.

Anyone that thinks it is all the same is mistaken.

Seaview has as much in common with Sandown as Weybridge does with Wolverhampton.

Bobthebuilder
4 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Not quite.

I am saying that there are many, many different parts.

Anyone that thinks it is all the same is mistaken.

Seaview has as much in common with Sandown as Weybridge does with Wolverhampton.

Brilliant.

Its a fucking shit hole, get over it you northern newcomer.

I could take you to areas in the SW that would blow your mind.

• Agree 1

Wight Flight
3 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Brilliant.

Its a fucking shit hole, get over it you northern newcomer.

I could take you to areas in the SW that would blow your mind.

We are all free to have our own opinions.

i have finally found somewhere i feel at home, as you clearly have with London.

which is a great thing for both of us.

Bobthebuilder
4 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

We are all free to have our own opinions.

i have finally found somewhere i feel at home, as you clearly have with London.

which is a great thing for both of us.

No,

I like both, they have plus points that the other doesn't, hence my attitude on the subject.

Wight Flight
8 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

No,

I like both, they have plus points that the other doesn't, hence my attitude on the subject.

I guess i just don't like crowded places, so can only really like one.

But it has been a good exchange of views.

• Cheers 1

Bobthebuilder
3 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I guess i just don't like crowded places, so can only really like one.

But it has been a good exchange of views.

I am down in Dorset in a couple of weeks, we always have a walk around Badbury rings, you can see the isle from up there on a clear day, I shall wave a can of cider in your general direction.

• Lol 1
  • Cheers 2

• 3 weeks later...
Austin Allegro
3 hours ago, spygirl said:

Most of them can't seem to grasp that the problems they have experienced are at least partly due to mass open door immigration.

'Too many people'....'neighbour noise and mess....'crackheads'....'tourist chaos'....it's painful to watch them skirting around the issue and not quite getting it.

Eg:

'We have had seriously dodgy neighbours a few times. People with values and expectations so different from your own that it is actually impossible to identify anything in common at a human level as a basis for getting along.'

Hmmm....'values', eh....

Ah, but wait:

'It's possible the most unBritish place I have ever lived in,'

AHA, someone is getting close! But then...

'I think the "unbritishness" is what a lot of us really like about it'

FFS then what are you moaning for, there are probably more Londoners per head of population in Benidorm these days than in actual London!

Edited by Austin Allegro
  • Agree 5

leonardratso
1 hour ago, Austin Allegro said:

Most of them can't seem to grasp that the problems they have experienced are at least partly due to mass open door immigration.

'Too many people'....'neighbour noise and mess....'crackheads'....'tourist chaos'....it's painful to watch them skirting around the issue and not quite getting it.

Eg:

'We have had seriously dodgy neighbours a few times. People with values and expectations so different from your own that it is actually impossible to identify anything in common at a human level as a basis for getting along.'

Hmmm....'values', eh....

Ah, but wait:

'It's possible the most unBritish place I have ever lived in,'

AHA, someone is getting close! But then...

'I think the "unbritishness" is what a lot of us really like about it'

FFS then what are you moaning for, there are probably more Londoners per head of population in Benidorm these days than in actual London!

They get it, they just dont want to say it, but they know - in their heads.

• Agree 6

• 1 month later...

West London has already run out of grid capacity.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/28/23282007/electricity-demands-london-data-centers-blocking-new-housing-development

They are now running into water probkems too- 

https://www.theregister.com/2023/07/27/thames_water_to_datacenters_cut/?td=rt-3a

The reality is that UK DCs will move to NW (windcale) Ne (Kelder) or Highlands (Scots hydro).

For 99.99% of DC usage , optical links means latency is not an issue.

• Informative 1

On 01/06/2023 at 21:32, gibbon said:

Lived there in one of the nicer parts of London in my 20s thanks, when the white British were still a slim majority there. The shit I used to see go on there on the daily in those years is more than you'd see in a lifetime anywhere else. Can't even imagine what it would be like to live in one of the rougher parts of London as an white old man. Fuck. That. I'm sure lots of others on here have also lived in London and also consider it a stinking dump.

I suspect your interactions with people who've lived in London are heavily skewed towards those who didn't like it. That's why they left. The ones who do are still here. Personally, I think it has its issues, like any urban area. But they are completely overblown in the press and I'd take London over Birmingham or Manchester, and it's infinitely preferable to pretty much any provincial town. Of course, there's no point comparing it to some rural village because they're nothing alike.

• Agree 4

Frank Hovis
19 minutes ago, AWW said:

I suspect your interactions with people who've lived in London are heavily skewed towards those who didn't like it. That's why they left. The ones who do are still here. Personally, I think it has its issues, like any urban area. But they are completely overblown in the press and I'd take London over Birmingham or Manchester, and it's infinitely preferable to pretty much any provincial town. Of course, there's no point comparing it to some rural village because they're nothing alike.

There is of course a big element of "horses for courses", I was one of the many who moved to London for the job opportunities on graduating and then left aged around thirty because I was fed up with living in a big city.

There are people living there who are always intending to leave it at some point and I was one of them.

Give me a provincial town any day!

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, AWW said:

Most likely, but then I don't ever remember meeting anyone who said what a great place London was while in London. Most were there just for the money and most real Londoners who were born there had long moved out to the neighbouring counties.

Yup agree I'd still take London over Birmingham or Manchester. But then that's not saying much. I'd prefer a provincial town over any of them long as it's got a supermarket bigger than a Tesco express.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

On 20/06/2023 at 03:40, leonardratso said:

They get it, they just dont want to say it, but they know - in their heads.

I lost a very long term mate because he called me a racist for pointing out that british would be a minority by 2050 at current trends (this was about 10 years ago).

funnily enough, he had moved from Merton to the everso white Hove in Sussex, for 'better schools for the kids'.

Dont lie you cunt - you did it because you had two girls and you knew abdul and Leroy would be all over them like a rash when they hit 13.

• Agree 4

leonardratso
2 hours ago, wherebee said:

I lost a very long term mate because he called me a racist for pointing out that british would be a minority by 2050 at current trends (this was about 10 years ago).

funnily enough, he had moved from Merton to the everso white Hove in Sussex, for 'better schools for the kids'.

Dont lie you cunt - you did it because you had two girls and you knew abdul and Leroy would be all over them like a rash when they hit 13.

They know, they know all too well. Why they dont just admit it i dont know. Hypocrisy peak. At the end of the day you arent fooling anyone with your virtue signalling, and thinking it wont happen to you is a fools errand, its exactly those people it happens to.

• Agree 5

On 02/08/2023 at 09:13, Frank Hovis said:

There is of course a big element of "horses for courses", I was one of the many who moved to London for the job opportunities on graduating and then left aged around thirty because I was fed up with living in a big city.

There are people living there who are always intending to leave it at some point and I was one of them.

Give me a provincial town any day!

The absolute centre of London is fun - if you like drinking n eating and lookign at girlies and stuff.

However, ocne you get beond ~2 radius of TrafAqw, the rest of London turns into a boring polluted dull dump. if you very expensive and a pain to travel into thecentre then it gets pretty jaded quick.

perosnally, I foud living somewhere where you can get into central London quickly for a day or so.

And I include Yawk in that now.

• Agree 3

desertorchid
11 hours ago, spygirl said:

The absolute centre of London is fun - if you like drinking n eating and lookign at girlies and stuff.

However, ocne you get beond ~2 radius of TrafAqw, the rest of London turns into a boring polluted dull dump. if you very expensive and a pain to travel into thecentre then it gets pretty jaded quick.

perosnally, I foud living somewhere where you can get into central London quickly for a day or so.

And I include Yawk in that now.

I would add to that. After being in London the last month (first time in over 10 years) I would say central london is actually very liveable. Some lovely open spaces, roads not too busy, a truly diverse population and  a great use of cycling on less congested roads. Some great eateries and interesting boozers. BUT no-one can actually live there unless you are on over a 6 figure salary, and even then you are not living anywhere grand.

But you are correct as soon as you get outside zone 1 things go downhill very very quickly.

• Agree 1