DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Rental nightmare in coastal Cornwall (and coastal Devon, IoW)

Frank Hovis

https://metro.co.uk/2021/09/23/council-to-buy-two-holiday-parks-to-help-house-homeless-families-15304089/

A council in Cornwall is getting set to buy two holiday parks and use them to provide temporary accommodation for homeless people.

Cornwall council would not confirm exactly which venues they are buying as part of the £15 million investment, but confirmed they are in the Hayle and Helston areas and on the market.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

https://metro.co.uk/2021/09/23/council-to-buy-two-holiday-parks-to-help-house-homeless-families-15304089/

A council in Cornwall is getting set to buy two holiday parks and use them to provide temporary accommodation for homeless people.

Cornwall council would not confirm exactly which venues they are buying as part of the £15 million investment, but confirmed they are in the Hayle and Helston areas and on the market.

One named here being near Carleen near Helston.

You have to feel sorry for any long term residents or neighbours.

I know of two sites (Tencreek near Looe and Monkey Tree near Newquay) that took a lot of homeless during Covid.

Many long term residents returned from work to find that their caravans had been broken into and valuables stolen.

Obviously not all homeless but if you sweep them all up whatever their background them you will have amongst them violent criminals, thieves, drug addicts, alcoholics who will wreck any place they are given.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/cornwall-council-buy-two-holiday-5952204

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

With a crooked smile
On 18/09/2021 at 22:02, Wight Flight said:

You have to ask yourself why the pub has become unprofitable.

From what I've seen the brewery often makes them unprofitable by setting and artificially high rent. The property then sits on the market for a time to prove there is no demand. Planning then gets put in for change of use. 

Friend of mine from school has done the planning for a few pubs to residential in London. He helped me do the paper work or a small bnb to residential that's going through at the moment. 

Hope to be in our new place by end October. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

On 23/09/2021 at 14:19, sarahbell said:

I wonder how they would get the required planning permission? Itd be a bloody nightmare. 

Oh hang on, they are the bloody planners, so can do what the fuck they want. 😂 Its only plebs that pay their pensions that cant get the  planning. 

• Agree 1

Recent post on the NI Reddit tells almost exactly the same tale for people trying to find somewhere to rent in Belfast at the moment - i.e. it's virtually impossible.

Increasing population, decreasing housing stock because of the airbnb boom, rents going up up up.

• Informative 1

5 hours ago, Green Devil said:

I wonder how they would get the required planning permission? Itd be a bloody nightmare. 

Oh hang on, they are the bloody planners, so can do what the fuck they want. 😂 Its only plebs that pay their pensions that cant get the  planning. 

They are just wasting money.

Our council are now handing out tents.

It's quite a good plan since as soon as you pitch it somewhere they will fine you. Brilliant return on investment.

• Lol 2

VeryMeanReversion

Even if you can get planning permission, its a terrible time to be building a new home.

I've got planning for a 500sqft extension but its on indefinite hold until I can get materials and builders at a decent price.  I've had some small jobs done recently but the cost is 2-4x what I paid 5-10 years ago.  I will just wait or never do it.  My plumber used to be £150 day but his last bill was £150 for two hours.  The tap can keep dripping....

I've also got an outbuilding to convert into a house that either me or the kids could use.  It may be best to wait a couple more years until I retire and then build most of it myself at my own pace.  I just can't face paying the trades £300/day which takes me £600+ gross to earn.  The best ones I worked with a few years ago have retired and I'm far from impressed by the next generation.

• Agree 4

https://www.iwradio.co.uk/news/isle-of-wight-news/isle-of-wight-tops-britains-rental-shortage-hotspot-list/

The Isle of Wight is the area most hit by Britain's rental shortage, figures from Rightmove show.

Since summer 2019, the Island has seen an 82% fall in the number of properties available to rent - the biggest decline across the country.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 2

On 27/09/2021 at 23:20, Wight Flight said:

They are just wasting money.

Our council are now handing out tents.

It's quite a good plan since as soon as you pitch it somewhere they will fine you. Brilliant return on investment.

Meanwhile in other news cornwall council are lining the pockets of second home owners. 

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/uproar-outsiders-cash-second-home-5999539

Are they going to pay it back as their properties have been booked out solid since the start of the season until now at 2x or 3x the usual prices? 😂 😂 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Green Devil said:

Meanwhile in other news cornwall council are lining the pockets of second home owners. 

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/uproar-outsiders-cash-second-home-5999539

Are they going to pay it back as their properties have been booked out solid since the start of the season until now at 2x or 3x the usual prices? 😂 😂 

As ever the council objected at the time because it was obvious that this was wasted money and Westminster civil servants, second home owners to a man, overruled them and said to pay it.

Cornwall Council is actually pretty decent with regard to these matters but every time they want to do something that would improve the housing position for people who live in Cornwall the arch-blockheads in Westminster say no.

Hence my eventually and reluctantly coming round to thinking that increased devolution for Cornwall is a good thing.

• Agree 1

On 02/10/2021 at 12:25, Frank Hovis said:

As ever the council objected at the time because it was obvious that this was wasted money and Westminster civil servants, second home owners to a man, overruled them and said to pay it.

Cornwall Council is actually pretty decent with regard to these matters but every time they want to do something that would improve the housing position for people who live in Cornwall the arch-blockheads in Westminster say no.

Hence my eventually and reluctantly coming round to thinking that increased devolution for Cornwall is a good thing.

As usual the plebs have to pay for it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58822666

Council tax in England could rise by as much as £220 per year within three years, researchers have said.

This is to keep local services running and help pay for social care reforms, the Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) think tank said.

It comes amid warnings that councils continue to face severe funding pressures due to the pandemic and must find new sources of income.

The government said it had given them £12bn since the start of the crisis.

Under current government spending plans, council tax bills will need to rise by at least 3.6% a year just to keep services running at pre-pandemic levels, the IFS said.

That would mean bills would have to rise by £160 by 2024-25, it said.

But extra cost pressures that eat into central government grants could easily push up council tax by 5% a year, or £220 by 2024-25, it said.

• Agree 2

There are 3 for sale within 1/4 mile of me. Lowest ever.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/114342719#/?channel=RES_BUY

Cheapest 99k

but needs refurb. and is tiny. and has no parking. Ideal to let as a  rental though.

• CLOSE TO METROLINK
    Google reckons it's 13 minutes walk to the tram stop

Edited by sarahbell

Bobthebuilder
1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

There are 3 for sale within 1/4 mile of me. Lowest ever.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/114342719#/?channel=RES_BUY

Cheapest 99k

but needs refurb. and is tiny. and has no parking. Ideal to let as a  rental though.

• CLOSE TO METROLINK
    Google reckons it's 13 minutes walk to the tram stop

My mate has recently bought a terrace in Manchester. He paid £180k for his, and it needs a bit of work.

Is there really that much price difference across the old chips and gravy county????

On 09/10/2021 at 12:14, Bobthebuilder said:

My mate has recently bought a terrace in Manchester. He paid £180k for his, and it needs a bit of work.

Is there really that much price difference across the old chips and gravy county????

Yup, if it's on south manchester in the 'trendy' areas like didsbury, heatons, posher parts of stockport - and now moving out to areas like levenshulme and the urban 'regeneration' places around the city centre area then it's entirely possible.  Not a bubble of course at all, oh no!

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

• 4 weeks later...

Things are starting to take a bit of a turn. We now have 46 houses to rent, but still lots of anecdotal about people becoming homeless.

The prices have gone silly (up 50% in some cases), and the locals just can't afford £1200+ for a three bed. The pricier properties are sitting on the market for a few weeks, so my guess is we have run out of Londoners moving over.

The situation seems to be proving that rents are set by affordability, not what a landlord thinks is market value.

My guess is rents will have to drop again soon.

How is it looking where you are @Frank Hovis 

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

Another thing I discovered today is that, as rents have risen so much, the lettings agents have changed their criteria.

It used to be if your income was below £18k you must have a guarantor. It is now below £24k.

Given that your guarantor must be a home owner earning over £30k, it is not surprisingly a lot of people can't get one.

It is all a bit grim for far too many.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 3

On 10/10/2021 at 22:08, JFK said:

Yup, if it's on south manchester in the 'trendy' areas like didsbury, heatons, posher parts of stockport - and now moving out to areas like levenshulme and the urban 'regeneration' places around the city centre area then it's entirely possible.  Not a bubble of course at all, oh no!

Indeed. The house I bought in Chorlton for £54k in 1992 would now sell for £354k.

• Cheers 1

What does £433 a month give you in Cornwall?

A static caravan with:

condemned gas boilers, no insulation, extreme black mould, holes in single glazed windows and collapsing floors and walls.

Nice. I wonder what their EPC rating is ¬¬

The story is in the press because a new company has taken over the site, seen how bad half the caravans are, so are scrapping and replacing them.  Which means that the existing residents will be temporarily homeless.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/static-home-residents-who-claim-6154459

If social housing tenants were being housed in these conditions it would be all over the news and the HA / Council would be fined.

When it comes to private renters however no one gives a monkey's.

• Agree 1

On 09/10/2021 at 12:14, Bobthebuilder said:

That one was one of the teeniest ones available. I viewed one a few years ago. They're tiny. 

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/115545497#/?channel=RES_BUY
This is a much better size.
Although this road features on antisocial behaviour enquiries a few years ago :)

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/114462164#/?channel=RES_BUY
This one a few doors down.
Much cheaper. 

Edited by sarahbell
  • Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...