DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Rental nightmare in coastal Cornwall (and coastal Devon, IoW)

Frank Hovis

1 hour ago, With a crooked smile said:

I think the issue here is v high numbers of tourists and limited accommodation. The only long term rentals are typically pretty rough. Anything half decent will earn you about 20-30k as a self catering unit. 

So we are back to the usual story - that Italian needs to pay enough money to either allow their workers to live locally or provide free accommodation for their workers.

I suspect were we to see that bank account of the couple involved we would discover they receive universal credit. 

• Agree 3

With a crooked smile
27 minutes ago, eek said:

So we are back to the usual story - that Italian needs to pay enough money to either allow their workers to live locally or provide free accommodation for their workers.

I suspect were we to see that bank account of the couple involved we would discover they receive universal credit. 

The business turnovers good, Certified accounts from the owners’ Chartered 
Accountants in the form of a Trading and Profit and 
Loss Account show turnover of £1,224,633 (net of VAT) 
for the 15 month period to 31 May 2018. £1,025,729 
(net of VAT) year end 31 May 2019 and £805,870 (net of 
VAT) year ended 31st May 2020 which was affected by 
Covid shutdown. Full copies of the trading accounts are 
available to interested parties following viewing. 

But his profit was about 150k, my stepson wanted to know where the rest of the money was going as lease was about 50k pa. You'd think they could buy a house and stick staff in it with turnover like that. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, With a crooked smile said:

The business turnovers good, Certified accounts from the owners’ Chartered 
Accountants in the form of a Trading and Profit and 
Loss Account show turnover of £1,224,633 (net of VAT) 
for the 15 month period to 31 May 2018. £1,025,729 
(net of VAT) year end 31 May 2019 and £805,870 (net of 
VAT) year ended 31st May 2020 which was affected by 
Covid shutdown. Full copies of the trading accounts are 
available to interested parties following viewing. 

But his profit was about 150k, my stepson wanted to know where the rest of the money was going as lease was about 50k pa. You'd think they could buy a house and stick staff in it with turnover like that. 

I was trying to work out where it was and I've now found it.

Thankfully I believe we've never eaten there.

“It is fantastic having people like Sarah and Eduardo working for us. They are hard-working, committed, dedicated, extremely talented and as a business in a tourist town we rely on people like them to keep us going.

“In Keswick, we have a very limited pool of labour to choose from and if people like Sarah and Eduardo are not available any more because they can’t find anywhere to live in Keswick or have to move out of town, then businesses like ours are really going to struggle to replace them.

If the full cost of having a family of fillipinis fell in the employer then I'd be fine.

That's 6k/y private medical cover plus 7k schooling.

Its not great for UK tax payer of the local population.

Originally hailing from Cavite, around 20 miles from Manila in the Philippines, the family have taken Keswick and its people fully to their hearts – getting steady work, making new friends, settling into school and establishing a new life for themselves 7,000 miles away from home.

Both parents work at Bella Casa in Station Street – Eduardo as head chef and Sarah as front of house – a role the British citizen has done for more than three years, with Sarah having spent nine years in Keswick and 12 in England.

Soo.... they need to go back home.

I'd question what the owner does for this business bar importing slaves.

All imported Labour needs to be paye, paying at least 2x median wage. And no free access to public services.

Running a labour intensive business in UK tourist spots is like trying to grow food at the Antartic - there is limited to no cheap, seasonal labour.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

One family was in the local paper who needed a four bedroom house; they had lived in the same town for over twenty years but were losing their current rental.

They couldn't now afford a private rental, as noted upthread three bed rentals in coastal towns have gone from £750 - £850 in 2019 to £1,000 - £1,200 now. Four beds are both rarer and pricier.

As homelessness was imminent they applied for social housing.

Four bed houses are rare in social housing because few are built, they provide little more return than a three bed despite the cost increase, and most that are built end up being bought at a discount under right to buy because of the huge gains the tenant can make.

I hadn't realised quite how rare though.

They were told that to be socially housed in the near future they would have to move to Taunton or Wales O.o

I had thought it bad enough that people were being pushed out to Liskeard / Callington (not bad towns but nowhere near the sea and a bit down at heel).

• Informative 4

With a crooked smile
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

They were told that to be socially housed in the near future they would have to move to Taunton or Wales 

Yet Afgans/Pakistanis and Syrians seem to get an automatic right to be housed at great expense in London. Not sure how that works. 

• Agree 8

24 minutes ago, With a crooked smile said:

Yet Afgans/Pakistanis and Syrians seem to get an automatic right to be housed at great expense in London. Not sure how that works. 

It would be racist to not do so and contrary to their human rights (remembering that the indigenous population don’t appear to have any) 

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

One family was in the local paper who needed a four bedroom house; they had lived in the same town for over twenty years but were losing their current rental.

They couldn't now afford a private rental, as noted upthread three bed rentals in coastal towns have gone from £750 - £850 in 2019 to £1,000 - £1,200 now. Four beds are both rarer and pricier.

As homelessness was imminent they applied for social housing.

Four bed houses are rare in social housing because few are built, they provide little more return than a three bed despite the cost increase, and most that are built end up being bought at a discount under right to buy because of the huge gains the tenant can make.

I hadn't realised quite how rare though.

They were told that to be socially housed in the near future they would have to move to Taunton or Wales O.o

I had thought it bad enough that people were being pushed out to Liskeard / Callington (not bad towns but nowhere near the sea and a bit down at heel).

I know someone who is in a 4 bedroom housing association house in Helston - they got very lucky and that was only because one of their children now has long term health issues due to their previous accommodation. 

• Agree 1

AlfredTheLittle

I've never really understood the whole concept of social housing, having always rented privately it seems odd that some people are entitled to cheaper rent for no apparent reason. Of course a decent government would provide social housing for everyone, or otherwise keep a lid on property prices due to shelter being a basic necessity, but we haven't had a decent government in a long time.

• Agree 9

48 minutes ago, eek said:

I know someone who is in a 4 bedroom housing association house in Helston - they got very lucky and that was only because one of their children now has long term health issues due to their previous accommodation. 

I know a retired couple in a very nice 4 bed on the outskirts of Weybridge.

Kids left home years ago, but they like it where they are as it is quiet, they have parking and a garden and get all their maintenance done and a new kitchen and bathroom every 10 years. 

At least they can afford to go cruising three or four times a year - if they had to pay the market rent of £2500-£3000 they might struggle.

• Agree 3

30 minutes ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

I've never really understood the whole concept of social housing, having always rented privately it seems odd that some people are entitled to cheaper rent for no apparent reason. Of course a decent government would provide social housing for everyone, or otherwise keep a lid on property prices due to shelter being a basic necessity, but we haven't had a decent government in a long time.

Once upon a time they did - then the Tory party discovered that it was house owners who voted Tory so went searching for an easy means of creating more Tory voters. 

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, eek said:

Once upon a time they did - then the Tory party discovered that it was house owners who voted Tory so went searching for an easy means of creating more Tory voters. 

While true, it's been how many years since that was first implemented? 

Any Gov since could have easily changed it, reduced immigration or even just built enough to try keep up, just throwing the entirety of HS2's budget(Essentially a small single bloody train route) could go a long way to solving this problem.

All parties for not even really trying to sort the problem are at equal fault to me, blaming policies and parties from the past hasn't solved anything and is just used by the people in power as a reason for why things are that way. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

10 hours ago, eek said:

My x has one it’s actually a 5 bed ,one of the 3 downstairs siting rooms was converted and has a wet room attached .the council offered her 1k to move out how she laughed .my lad has been put on the tenancy and will buy it in due course at maximum discount.

• Agree 3

10 hours ago, King Penda said:

My x has one it’s actually a 5 bed ,one of the 3 downstairs siting rooms was converted and has a wet room attached .the council offered her 1k to move out how she laughed .my lad has been put on the tenancy and will buy it in due course at maximum discount.

Lifetime tenancies are stupid and deserve to be punished by RtB.

• Agree 4

With a crooked smile
9 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Lifetime tenancies are stupid

Agree remember the union guy I think bob crow on 100k and living in a council house. Should have to pay at least market rate as its effectively blocking a family that needs accommodation from getting it. 

• Agree 4

Uncle Buck Rogers

Council House near me just had a new family move in. One of thier cars is a swanky new convertible. 

Suggests a skewd view of thier financial priorities may be why they require social housing. 

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

17 minutes ago, Uncle Buck Rogers said:

Council House near me just had a new family move in. One of thier cars is a swanky new convertible. 

Suggests a skewd view of thier financial priorities may be why they require social housing. 

Nope they’ve won the housing lottery so can now afford a fancy car..

• Agree 6

52 minutes ago, Uncle Buck Rogers said:

The difference in cost between a council house and a private rental here is about £800 per month.

That leases a couple of very nice cars.

• Agree 2

16 hours ago, Uncle Buck Rogers said:

Probably moving from another council house so transferring their tenancy.

Lifetime tenancies mean that you could be a multi-millionaire and still have your rent subisdised.

• Agree 2

20 hours ago, With a crooked smile said:

Agree remember the union guy I think bob crow on 100k and living in a council house. Should have to pay at least market rate as its effectively blocking a family that needs accommodation from getting it. 

Well that’s true it’s aready adapted and that cost 25k 20 years ago .I paid for the front garden to be tarmaced you can get 3 cars on it (just )side by side.my lad spunked 10/15k on vinal and guitars then took 12 months off work to look after the Dog .only returning to work when the dog was put down .the discount is maximum I’d guess 60% he has just a shade under 10k but still won’t rush to buy it rotfl.

21 hours ago, With a crooked smile said:

Thing is it’s often Muslims that get them I remember a Muslim comeing around and demanding to know how we got it above him has he had more kids

With a crooked smile
27 minutes ago, King Penda said:

Thing is it’s often Muslims that get them I remember a Muslim comeing around and demanding to know how we got it above him has he had more kids

The people I know who've got them are white but played the system. They are single mothers who could have stayed with parents ect but basically couch surfed to force the councils hand. 

• Informative 2

2 minutes ago, With a crooked smile said:

The people I know who've got them are white but played the system. They are single mothers who could have stayed with parents ect but basically couch surfed to force the councils hand. 

That’s how to do it