DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Rental nightmare in coastal Cornwall (and coastal Devon, IoW)

Frank Hovis

The woman that does Any Answees? Sounds like Linda Dnrll on helium.

Not just me, even wimmin hate her -

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/radio_addicts/4152521-R4-Any-Answers

Condescending trailer, based on this -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57908387

Chris Whityy said people living in seaside towns have poorer health? Do you live in a seaside town in the red wall? Have you been let down by tbe government ....

Err, the same problems were there when Labour was in charge. Never heard a word.

The problem with seaside towns is tgey get easy too many oaps moving there, with expected fuckedup health - most oaps move to seaside was tgeyve git fucked up health and somehow think the ozone will cancel out 40 fags a day.

And you've had 30 years on jobless scum moving from inland.

Make social housing conditional on holding down a job and the later issue goes.

leonardratso
11 minutes ago, Shamone said:

I remember seeing a tv show once where a bloke said if you drank cider long enough you would always shit yourself.

whats wrong with that, its healthy to shit (yourself), probably eh ?

Edited by leonardratso
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

I disapprove of cider drinking.

Its tramp juice.

Cant work out if its I'm northern.

Or, after working with someone from the other Bradford, I was invited to a sess at his local cider house.

What I was e expecting was busrty, easy 19yo girlies.

What I got was a a trampy-one warmed dossery-farmerly hell hold. No girlies. In fact, noone with a full set of teeth. 

It seemed like every 3rd farm sold it when I was last there 40 years ago

4 minutes ago, King Penda said:

They still do.

Once you get a few miles West of Reading theres always Farm cider signs around.

Get to Somerset and they are everywhere.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, spygirl said:

They still do.

Used to love the real home made stuff sold by the gallon and not labeled except with a marker pen

Frank Hovis
13 minutes ago, King Penda said:

8 minutes ago, spygirl said:

They still do.

I agree re scrumpy, I'm not a fan, but go up around the three counties (Gloucestershire, Herefordshire and Worcestershire) in October and November and you will find fresh farmhouse perry which is one of the best drinks that I have ever tasted.

As it's not been pasteurised it usually has a short window before it goes off - two to three days - which they will tell you so don't buy too much.

Perry used to be the top drink of the upper classes in Europe before champagne displaced it.

It is superb.

Though also slightly dangerous as whilst it doesn't taste at all strong it is usually about 7%.  Careful now.

• Informative 1

https://www.northumberlandgazette.co.uk/news/politics/council/holiday-let-tax-rules-put-northumberland-communities-at-risk-16-parish-councils-tell-chancellor-3336999

She writes: “We accept that FHLs can benefit an area, but the current tax benefits distort everything including the availability of accommodation for much-needed employees.

“There has been widespread speculation that you will close the loophole that currently allows FHL that are ‘available’ for letting for 140 or more days a year to be valued for non-domestic rates.

3 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

https://www.northumberlandgazette.co.uk/news/politics/council/holiday-let-tax-rules-put-northumberland-communities-at-risk-16-parish-councils-tell-chancellor-3336999

She writes: “We accept that FHLs can benefit an area, but the current tax benefits distort everything including the availability of accommodation for much-needed employees.

“There has been widespread speculation that you will close the loophole that currently allows FHL that are ‘available’ for letting for 140 or more days a year to be valued for non-domestic rates.

Yep - Holiday lets really need to be a minimum of 2 or 3 times local council tax - and sadly I suspect that still wouldn't be enough to fix things.

Edited by eek
  • Agree 3

11 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

She explains that the number of FHL holiday homes in Bamburgh, Beadnell and Seahouses registered for business rates has risen by 50% since 2015.

FHL businesses now account for 22% of all homes across the three parishes, peaking at 31% in Beadnell.

“The loss of Council Tax income is compounded by the fact that two-thirds of the near-600 properties registered for business rates have then successfully applied for small business rate relief, meaning these homes contribute little or, in most cases, nothing to council income,” she explains.

Same in Whitby. Once the idiots start, they pour in.

Theres FHLs on a crappy late 70s Barratt estate now.

Places like Runswick and bottom of Stsithes are now pretty much 100% FHL.

It's not just the loss of tax revenue.

Public services are funded according to FT residents, wo the limited spend gets even more limited. Made even worse that these places use about 3x the level of public services- massive increase in waste and use of healthcare.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

With a crooked smile
7 hours ago, spygirl said:

The problem with seaside towns is tgey get easy too many oaps

One of the issues that's often forgotten is half your potential customer base is in the sea compared to inland. 

29 minutes ago, With a crooked smile said:

One of the issues that's often forgotten is half your potential customer base is in the sea compared to inland. 

Half your travel circle, yup.

You live in Yawk and you can go to Manc, Ull, Layds! Or Newcastle.

Boro - Newcastle or Rotterdam.

• Agree 1

One percent
25 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Half your travel circle, yup.

You live in Yawk and you can go to Manc, Ull, Layds! Or Newcastle.

Boro - Newcastle or Rotterdam.

Why the fuck would you want to do that?  O.o

8 minutes ago, One percent said:

Why the fuck would you want to do that?  O.o

Theirectically....

I know a few people from Sleights who commute to Layds! For a 9am start.

18 hours ago, eek said:

Yep - Holiday lets really need to be a minimum of 2 or 3 times local council tax - and sadly I suspect that still wouldn't be enough to fix things.

Despite the excite, profit from holiday let's is pennies.

Normally you can only expect 15 weeks let a year. A fair few fail that, which causes massive tax problems, hence FHL churn.

Chuck in rates rather than bar and 80% will fail.

3 hours ago, spygirl said:

Despite the excite, profit from holiday let's is pennies.

Normally you can only expect 15 weeks let a year. A fair few fail that, which causes massive tax problems, hence FHL churn.

Chuck in rates rather than bar and 80% will fail.

Oh I know that which is why I can’t see the problem with taxing them due to the damage they do to the area

Wight Flight

An interesting development.

A lot of our landlords rent the property as an airbnb in the summer, and then sucker in a tenant for a ' long term let' over the winter, long term in their mind being six months. 

It has dawned on them that come next May, when they serve the surprise section 21 notice, the tenant will become homeless. The tenant may, therefore, decide not to leave until evicted, fucking up the owners highly profitable summer let.

They are having some severe mental turmoil trying to decide if greed can win over greed.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 3
  • Lol 1

51 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

A lot of our landlords rent the property as an airbnb in the summer, and then sucker in a tenant for a ' long term let' over the winter, long term in their mind being six months. 

I know somebody who lived in one of them over winter. What they don't tell you is that they don't have any heating.

Brrrrrrrrrr!

Wight Flight
32 minutes ago, XswampyX said:

I know somebody who lived in one of them over winter. What they don't tell you is that they don't have any heating.

Brrrrrrrrrr!

The one I saw today did talk about the romantic log burner.

• Lol 1

10 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

An interesting development.

It has dawned on them that come next May, when they serve the surprise section 21 notice, the tenant will become homeless. The tenant may, therefore, decide not to leave until evicted, fucking up the owners highly profitable summer let.

They are having some severe mental turmoil trying to decide if greed can win over greed.

That's always been the case, I know for a fact Cornwall housing department have been emphasising don't leave until you've actually moved into your new place for years.

So I'm really surprised the IoW are only picking up on it now 

Separately insurance would be another interesting issue if the landlord decides to continue holiday lets going / keeping it empty during the winter. They will end up visiting one weekend a month to keep the insurance valid

Edited by eek
  • Informative 2

Wight Flight
12 minutes ago, eek said:

That's always been the case, I know for a fact Cornwall housing department have been emphasising don't leave until you've actually moved into your new place for years.

So I'm really surprised the IoW are only picking up on it now 

Separately insurance would be another interesting issue if the landlord decides to continue holiday lets going / keeping it empty during the winter. They will end up visiting one weekend a month to keep the insurance valid

Yes, it has been normal for certain types of people.

But not usually the sort of thing a doctor, teacher or the like that can afford top end rents normally have to resort to.

Your tenant may have £75k a year income, but if there is nowhere to move to at any price they will stay put.

Wight Flight

What would happen if you rented an airbnb and refused to leave when your week was up?

Of course the plod would be called and they would throw you out.

In the olden days you could claim squatter's rights. 

What came first - Airbnb or the abolition of squatter's rights?

On 07/08/2021 at 14:39, eek said:

On 07/08/2021 at 14:53, spygirl said:

She explains that the number of FHL holiday homes in Bamburgh, Beadnell and Seahouses registered for business rates has risen by 50% since 2015.

FHL businesses now account for 22% of all homes across the three parishes, peaking at 31% in Beadnell.

“The loss of Council Tax income is compounded by the fact that two-thirds of the near-600 properties registered for business rates have then successfully applied for small business rate relief, meaning these homes contribute little or, in most cases, nothing to council income,” she explains.

Same in Whitby. Once the idiots start, they pour in.

Theres FHLs on a crappy late 70s Barratt estate now.

Places like Runswick and bottom of Stsithes are now pretty much 100% FHL.

It's not just the loss of tax revenue.

Public services are funded according to FT residents, wo the limited spend gets even more limited. Made even worse that these places use about 3x the level of public services- massive increase in waste and use of healthcare.

Loss of school pupils mean schools close and areas get less attractive to normal humans. 

Many are let out almost all year round. Minimum £500 a week, much more during peak weather, How can they not be making a huge profit?

• Agree 1