DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Rental nightmare in coastal Cornwall (and coastal Devon, IoW)

Frank Hovis

8 minutes ago, Noallegiance said:

"We have to look at government for a national solution."

Erm...

We have to look to government for the national cause.

Yes.

If Cornwall, Devon, Suffolk etc. were able to set their own housing policy with regard to second homes, holiday lets including Air BnB, in terms of planning permission for each and the taxation levied then the problem would not exist.

It is only there because we have a national housing policy that works for some areas but is a disaster in others.

• Agree 1

Wight Flight
22 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes.

If Cornwall, Devon, Suffolk etc. were able to set their own housing policy with regard to second homes, holiday lets including Air BnB, in terms of planning permission for each and the taxation levied then the problem would not exist.

It is only there because we have a national housing policy that works for some areas but is a disaster in others.

Anecdotally I am hearing a lot of people being served a section 21 notice of eviction as the landlord says they are selling - only to see the LL convert it to a holiday let /AirBnB

Ending no fault evictions cannot come soon enough to help stop this.

I also think a lot of them will get burnt. Nobody that spent £5k on  a wet week here this year will ever come back, or recommend it to anyone, if there are overseas alternatives available.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

Elderly couple who have been renting a small house in a seaside village for twenty years are being evicted after their landlord died and their family decided to sell.

Their budget is £500 a month and for that they are looking at a flat somewhere inland.

Though there aren't many for that price.

This is going to keep happening because the current market price for rentals has shot up so anyone losing their current rental is having to move into somewhere either smaller or in a less good area.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/elderly-couple-evicted-landlord-cant-5802410

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

Wight Flight
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Elderly couple who have been renting a small house in a seaside village for twenty years are being evicted after their landlord died and their family decided to sell.

Their budget is £500 a month and for that they are looking at a flat somewhere inland.

This is going to keep happening because the current market price for rentals has shot up so anyone losing their current rental is having to move into somewhere either smaller or in a less good area.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/elderly-couple-evicted-landlord-cant-5802410

We have a 92 year old couple in the same boat.

Council say there is nothing they can do. Looks like they might need to move to the mainland for their final days.

• Informative 3

5 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Council say there is nothing they can do. Looks like they might need to move to the mainland for their final days.

Can they not turn up on a dingy and pretend to be refugees?  

• Agree 1
  • Bogged 1
  • Lol 1

Wight Flight
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

There was a post on facebook a few days ago from a person looking to move over and asking what kind of rent to expect for a three bedder.

The answers were about £900-£1100.

There were also a hell of a lot of people saying that is ridiculous, and that they only paid about £650 for theirs.

None of them could see what was about to happen to them. Landlords aren't know for their charitable actions.

• Agree 4
  • Lol 1

14 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

what sort of boat is it?

I've often thought if you want to live near the coast you'd be better off in a boat of some sort, you can move around, change your view when you feel like it and the waves will rock you off to sleep at night! Sorted :)

Wight Flight
16 minutes ago, nirvana said:

what sort of boat is it?

I've often thought if you want to live near the coast you'd be better off in a boat of some sort, you can move around, change your view when you feel like it and the waves will rock you off to sleep at night! Sorted :)

Not in the weather we have had recently. Would be bloody miserable.

But It won't surprise you to know that I heard that all our marinas are now full with a waiting list.

Another plan bites the dust.

• Informative 1

4 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

But It won't surprise you to know that I heard that all our marinas are now full with a waiting list

Not a good view from a marina, shirley says you need to be off the beach somewhere or in a nice bay/inlet somewhere?

Wight Flight
4 minutes ago, nirvana said:

Not a good view from a marina, shirley says you need to be off the beach somewhere or in a nice bay/inlet somewhere?

Perfect in the Greek Islands.

Very stressful off our coastline.

31 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

What housing shortage.  A local charity in the Torbay area have offered four houses for accommodating Afghan refugees.  

What charity - as I can't see any mention of that within all the stories about the council leader saying nothing is available and then backtracking when the local MP said it wasn't a problem.

sleepwello'nights
2 hours ago, eek said:

What charity - as I can't see any mention of that within all the stories about the council leader saying nothing is available and then backtracking when the local MP said it wasn't a problem.

It was an article on the BBC South West lunch time news. 

On 16/08/2021 at 13:19, Wight Flight said:

Slave required. Oh, and you have to pay £750 a month to be their skivvy.

May be an image of text

That’s a fucking piss take

• Agree 1

On 18/08/2021 at 09:00, Noallegiance said:

"We have to look at government for a national solution."

Erm...

We have to look to government for the national cause.

There is no solution you can’t do fuck all but preempt there next move .my hands are tied at the moment but hopefully soon I can go back to work . Then the fun starts go for the best post code in the hope of nicer neighbours less immigrants but less house . Accept it take the piss buy a 4 bed terrace rent 3 rooms out destroy the morgage and sell and buy nicer and suck it up .or go for a 3 bed x council house in an area that won’t take any shit from immigrants if push comes to shove and you get a larger garden drive etc . All fun 

3 hours ago, spygirl said:

Plymouth has just become a city of holiday homes. It makes me sad.

Really?

Everyone will be fucking off abroad next year mind.

Is this about somewhere else also called Plymouth then?

Plymouth, that 250k population down at heel city over the Tamar from Saltash, is a cheap city break destination.

Whilst there are nice bits such as the Hoe, Sutton Harbour / Barbican and King William Yard I don't see why anyone would stay there for a fortnight unless they were working there.

I doubt that there are any "holiday homes" there at all.

7 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Is this about somewhere else also called Plymouth then?

Plymouth, that 250k population down at heel city over the Tamar from Saltash, is a cheap city break destination.

Whilst there are nice bits such as the Hoe, Sutton Harbour / Barbican and King William Yard I don't see why anyone would stay there for a fortnight unless they were working there.

I doubt that there are any "holiday homes" there at all.

Where theres a cheaper home by the sea, theres an idiot investor.

https://www.google.com/travel/hotels/Redcar?g2lb=2502548%2C2503771%2C2503781%2C4258168%2C4306835%2C4317915%2C4371335%2C4401769%2C4419364%2C4429192%2C4515404%2C4533547%2C4533568%2C4545890%2C4549823%2C4577788%2C4596364%2C4605833%2C4270859%2C4284970&hl=en-GB&gl=uk&ssta=1&ap=SAFoAQ&q=redcar holiday lets&rp=OAFAAEgCePO4svrTnuHNswF4wYLh1pn82IAveO2M6bOB5dLXqgF4k5ye9cuv_uoLogEGUmVkY2Fy&ictx=1&ved=0CAAQ5JsGahcKEwiw4MaFm8ryAhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQBg&utm_campaign=sharing&utm_medium=link&utm_source=vr&ts=CAISCgoCCAMKAggDEAAaKgoMEgg6BlJlZGNhchoAEhoSFAoHCOUPEAkYFBIHCOUPEAkYFxgDMgIQACoQCgcoAToDR0JQGgUiAwUICg

Holiday let's in Redcar.

If its cheap, theres a beach, it doesnt rain too much, then under 13s will be happy.

Now Redcar has a fantastic beach. And an old iron works on the beach.

I dont know if Plymouth has a beach. I remember my shock going to look for Soton beach.

• Lol 1

21 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I dont know if Plymouth has a beach. I remember my shock going to look for Soton beach.

Plymouth doesn't have a beach.  A few very small sandy areas and a bit of shingle at low tide maybe.