DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 5)

spunko

Democorruptcy
5 hours ago, sancho panza said:

Mrs P has about ten years in of a final salary scheme that closed in 2022.

The only prolbem is that when I read the small print the inflation linkage is only up to 2.5% CPI.Firstly that's pretty dire in an era when 5% may be consdiered low and sustained double figure runs quite possible.

I know you've said before that it's ahrd to do due to regulatory pressure but is there a legal right people have to trsnfer out do you know?

Appreciate if anyone else knows. iirc @Democorruptcy did a final salary transfer as well.

Yes I got mine out before DB. My IFA gave me a 'Yes' to the transfer so it was easy. The firm he worked for has since gone bust and there isn't a month goes by when I don't get an email from some chancer begging me to sue his firm for poor advice. I assume the compensation claims might be why the firm went bust and there lies the problem. Nobody these days wants to risk saying 'Yes' in case they get sued and the providers that did accept a transfer even if the advice was a 'No', now won't take the money.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 3

Mikhail Liebenstein
5 hours ago, sancho panza said:

Mrs P has about ten years in of a final salary scheme that closed in 2022.

The only prolbem is that when I read the small print the inflation linkage is only up to 2.5% CPI.Firstly that's pretty dire in an era when 5% may be consdiered low and sustained double figure runs quite possible.

I know you've said before that it's ahrd to do due to regulatory pressure but is there a legal right people have to trsnfer out do you know?

Appreciate if anyone else knows. iirc @Democorruptcy did a final salary transfer as well.

I think DC schemes are fine if you can do the leg work to ensure your not invested in overly safe, non growth assets.

A lot don't check and sit in 'lifestyle' funds which hardly grow. Or start buying bonds, which are really designed for income, too early. 

I've always sat as much as possible in equity funds, and even with periods of volatility they always end higher after 18 months.

My drawdown strategy might be to hold say 2 years cash, and leave the rest in stocks to avoid selling equities at a loss.

• Informative 3

4 hours ago, M S E Refugee said:

I am currently on a Train from Birmingham back to Carlisle, our Train was cancelled but luckily we have managed to get on a delayed Train.

It shows how delusional all this Green Bollocks is.

They would have to spend Hundreds of Billions to make the Railway Network half way decent.

It's the first time I've been to Birmingham, what a shithole!

I don’t know Birmingham. So-called has article that commuter cars being stripped for parts. No idea how common it is. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-65767351

• Informative 2

3 hours ago, Sugarlips said:

Now 4.61...

get Kwarteng back!

Is it spiking because the markets see Labour getting in? Tory party is infighting?

• Agree 1

Wight Flight
Just now, Ash4781b said:

Is it spiking because the markets see Labour getting in? Tory party is infighting?

I would have thought that had been priced in for months.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Ash4781b said:

I don’t know Birmingham. So-called has article that commuter cars being stripped for parts. No idea how common it is. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-65767351

It used to be common many years ago particularly amongst the younger generation when times were more like the present, high prices, high inflation, people losing or without jobs no doubt bennies are more generous these days but not for everyone.

Back then if someone said where did you get your new parts they would say 'from CPS' I eventually learned that meant Car Park Spares. 

• Informative 1
  • Lol 4

1 hour ago, M S E Refugee said:

An interesting Ad campaign from HSBC.

"All our branches are safe spaces...": unless the abuser actually marches in to drag you away, because I doubt anyone working there would get involved.

• Agree 5

sancho panza
On 10/06/2023 at 08:13, crashmonitor said:

Interest Rate Armegeddon UK..... I came across this yesterday. I was surprised he had gotten so many youtube hits. But his delivery is quite amusing. He is a retired London trader but he sounds like a mad American scientist that goes into Beavis and Butt head style giggles as he lays on the doom.

Did get me thinking why the heck aren't traders going for a 1992  style turkey shoot ( led by George Soros) whence base rates jumped from 10 to 15% overnight.  Is there a Bankers code that means Central Banking turkeys like Bailey are exempt. Come on we are in a league of our own along with Turkey ( base rate 8.5%)  and Argentina (97%) in the incompetence stakes.

There's a point at about 3 minutes where he explains why banks and BS's are incetivized to keep lending even into an unsteady marekt and that's because the new business drives gross income which allows them to cover their operating costs.

This was something noted in the examination of BS balance sheets in the banking thread where BS's like the Cov/Skipton etc who are holding a lot of dodgy legacy laons,keep expanding their balance sheets when common sense would make you think the opposite direction would be a safer idea.

It's an interesting observation and one which makes a lot of sense.Especially given the fact that on Natwest's balance sheet-for example-there are a lot of legacy loans from 2006-2012 marked as stage 2,and very few of the more recent loans 2020-2022 are marked at stage 2.

He goes for an around 40% down on UK hosue rpices,but allows for the possibility of 70-80% which I think is reasonable-presuming that's nominal.

The one unknown is what a 20% mark down will do to marginal banks and BS's.

• Agree 5
  • Informative 2

2 hours ago, M S E Refugee said:

Kind of confirms everything you need to know about CBDC's.

"NO NOT LIKE THAT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!"

• Lol 3

1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

Local plod keep posting pictures of their tame Seagull.

Stephen.

Possibly not original, but always amusing.

He's not tame.  He's waiting. Watching 

gull.png

• Love / Hugz 2

Lightscribe
27 minutes ago, Loki said:

He's not tame.  He's waiting. Watching 

gull.png

The dosbods collective won’t know about Norf FC 4chan memes Loki… ;)

• Lol 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, JMD said:

Can I propose a thought experiment - if house prices were too remain at say their current nominal price levels, with inflation doing all the heavy work at removing property value. What average rate of inflation would be needed to reset house prices to their long-term LTA over say the next 10 or 20 years?   

OK, here is my attempt at this; probably not very good but I am not an Economics 'wizz kid' like most on here!

So the LTA of house price affordability is ~4 x salary, and the last time it was this was about 1999 [see fig below], about 22 years ago.

Figure 3a – Median house price to earnings ratio 1998-2014

[https://www.futureoflondon.org.uk/2015/08/12/affordability/]

Now median salaries are as follows

[https://www.statista.com/statistics/1002964/average-full-time-annual-earnings-in-the-uk/]:

1999 = £17,803, so an average house should have cost ~£71,212 [4 x £17,803]

2022 = £33k, so an average house should have cost ~£132k [4 x £33k]

This predicted 2022 value doesn't fit with the long-term average growth rate in UK housing of 1.8% pa [from 1900-2018, see ref below] that gives a figure of £105440, starting with the 1999 figure and compounding for 22 years at 1.8% until 2022; BUT the growth rate to get the actual 2022 figure would be 2.85% pa, that does 'fit' with a shorter-term growth rate specified in this article [https://monevator.com/historical-uk-house-prices/].

NOTE: a caveat of caution should be made here of non-normality, as this Monevator figure is based from 1991-2021 with the last third of this period having exceptionally low interest rates.

[https://www.credit-suisse.com/media/assets/corporate/docs/about-us/media/media-release/2018/02/giry-summary-2018.pdf]

BUT the actual median price in August 2022 [about the peak before the mini-budget crash] was £296k.

Now, if we take these figure and project forward another 22 years [and use the tool specified below to 'back calculate' the impact of inflation/inflation value required to achieve the figure], the 2022 '4 x multiplier price' [£132k] compounded over 22 years at a growth rate of 1.8 should equate to ~£196k [£195445], so it could be argued that this is our 'target price' that the actual median price of August 2022 [£296k] should be worth in 22 years time. Accounting for inflation/purchasing power the annual rate of inflation would need to be ~1.9% every year for the next 22 years to achieve this.

Doing the same calculation but using a 2.85% annual growth rate figure on the 2022 '4 x multiplier price' [£132k] compounded over 22 years at a growth rate of 2.85% should equate to ~£245k. To get to this value from the actual median price of August 2022 [£296k] [accounting for inflation/purchasing power] the annual rate of inflation would need to be ~0.85% every year for the next 22 years.

So the final answer is that inflation needs to sit somewhere between 0.85-1.9% every year [or an equivalent average value over this period] for the 2022 price to return to a normal 4x median salary house price value. Basically it has got to 'reverse' the damage done by ultra-low interest rates from 2009-2018 that were not historically normal. Note, this forecast makes various assumptions i.e. that wages rise at the same value as inflation.

Hopefully I have this right but please feel free to correct if needed or tell me it's mathematical/economical nonsense. :-)

Tool [https://www.rl360.com/row/tools/inflation-calculator.htm?Currency=0&AmtSaved=296000.00&YrsToKeep=22&InflRate=1&Calculate=Recalculate]

Edited by MrXxxx
  • Informative 6

Chewing Grass
On 14/04/2023 at 13:46, Chewing Grass said:

Well its Hyundai Tucson shitbox time, deals are dwindling and fashion is probably changing as they become as common as dog turds on the roads.

Down to 11 deals with the cheapest being £396, the dearest £506 and the average £456 thus reversing March prices back to February's.

Unless a new boatload arrives the Tucson's days as a benchmark shitbox may be numbered.

Screenshotfrom2023-04-1413-43-34.thumb.png.a71f611a641dbd1473a3f90914c01dee.png

That reminds me, I've neglected the Hyundai Shitbox index for 6 weeks, but good news prospective shitbox owners there are no 5 more deals than last time starting at £386 per month so you can save just under a tenner.

Note: for the value score to fractionally go up its rivals must be getting more 'popular'.

Screenshotfrom2023-06-1221-42-59.thumb.png.f62a2a8780bc623a73d1014ec7d814eb.png

• Informative 4
  • Cheers 1

Clueless Imbecile

I was thinking of opening a SIPP with Hargreaves Lansdown Asset Management Limited. However, one thing I noticed in the trust deed document (linked to in the application process on their website) that made me stop and think, was the following:

3 Amendment of the Rules
3.1 The Scheme Administrator may at any time by deed alter add to or delete all or any of the
Rules, with immediate, future or retrospective effect.

Stuff like that worries me. I'd have much prefered if they had limited it by stating a number of appropriate reasons under which they could use that clause, and also by giving, say 30 days notice with the option to transfer out if I wasn't happy.

The document states that it "is a personal pension scheme" and:

2.7 The Rules shall in all respects be governed by and interpreted according to the laws of
England. The parties submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England.

....which gives me some confidence. Then again, doesn't the other clause allow them to change all that, with immediate (or even retrospective) effect?

Maybe I'll sleep on it and see how I feel tomorrow. I could consider a different SIPP provider. I thought HL would be good because of the range of investment options and the fees seemed okay.

Am I being paranoid? Does anyone else bother to read the terms?

This is disappointing because I would probably have completed the application process by now if it weren't for that clause worrying me.

Cheers,
Clueless Imbecile

Disclaimer: I am not an expert. Anything I post here is just my opinions, which may not be factually correct. My posts are intended purely for the purpose of debate and are not to be taken as advice. If you act on any of the above then you do so entirely at your own risk. I do not accept any liability.

• Informative 4
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Lightscribe said:

The dosbods collective won’t know about Norf FC 4chan memes Loki… ;)

Oh, they will... :Jumping:

Luv me stonks

Luv me memes

'Ate gettin bogged

Simple as

Edited by Loki
  • Lol 7
  • Cheers 1