DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 5)

spunko

HousePriceMania
On 10/06/2023 at 23:53, DurhamBorn said:

Sounds like an idiot.FTSE gains from a weak sterling.

FTSE: +0.25%.

Idiot it is then

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 2

M S E Refugee
1 minute ago, afly said:

I love this. Electric vehicles powered by filthy coal. 

Hopefully this will turn around my Thungela position:CryBaby: I'm down 43%.

I hoping that buying Coal Mining shares during the Summer will pay off this Winter.

• Agree 3
  • Bogged 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, afly said:

Yes the average modern Diesel with Particle Filter, Catalytic Converter, Exhaust Gas Recirculation and some on Adblue is much much cleaner gives much better mileage with no long downtime to refill cheaper to buy than any Electric Vehicle is ever likely to be.

Wonderfuel xD

• Agree 2
  • Lol 3

sancho panza

The deflationary wave is building

Will eb interesting to see if they plateau here or headed furhter south.I know in Leics the big builders are on go slow but unsure about the rest of the UK.

https://www.mortgagestrategy.co.uk/news/crest-nicholson-sees-h1-profits-slump-points-to-tough-times-ahead/

Crest Nicholson sees H1 profits slump – points to tough times ahead

By David Burrows 8th June 2023 9:17 am

Crest Nicholson reports a 60% fall in pre-tax profits for the half year.

The UK housebuilder warns of a continued slowdown in the housing market as rising mortgage rates and cost of living pressures impact demand.

The company’s adjusted pre-tax profit for the six months to end of April stood at £20.9m, down from £52.5m for the same period a year earlier.

• Informative 10

6 minutes ago, DurhamBorn said:

The one to watch is the 15 year,thats the one pension schemes etc tend to use.Thats the one that gives a good idea on long term interest rates.Its the one that will of cut CETV pension transfer values by over a third to a half.DB pension transfer window has mostly been slammed shut.

Funnily enough this weekend I was trying to compare and work out what my CETV would look like nowadays but struggled to get even a guesstimate.

I transferred out in Dec 18, the offer just seemed huge verses the small pension (after early withdrawal adjustments etc) that I was about to claim at 50 years old, (50 because it was an old protected scheme). I could of course have left the pension to accrue but the scheme goal posts kept moving so much I wanted my 25% out.

Would be interesting to know how much lower  the transfer values are now.

If you estimate about half then it wouldn’t have been viable…..although interest rates are much higher and investment returns therefore ‘in theory’ will be higher, the whole point for me was it was never about return on capital it was all about receiving a disproportionately large chunk of cash that didn’t need to make any real return to compete with the DB pension.

Of course inflation is now a factor but I have the solace of knowing that my DB pension was capped at 5% increases, so that’s the benchmark if I want to keep pace. As it happens I am ok with current strategy driven by this thread. Just wish I had joined the party a few years earlier. 😉

• Agree 1
  • Informative 3

sancho panza
23 minutes ago, DurhamBorn said:

You will be pleased to know i did a transfer at the best point in 400 years,and invested most of it in oil potash and telcos,oil and potash right at the lows.Its all mingled in,but i suspect iv at least doubled it.I knew a few who were holding on a few years before leaving who at the time had transfer values of over half a mill,i doubt they would even get them done now.

Mrs P has about ten years in of a final salary scheme that closed in 2022.

The only prolbem is that when I read the small print the inflation linkage is only up to 2.5% CPI.Firstly that's pretty dire in an era when 5% may be consdiered low and sustained double figure runs quite possible.

I know you've said before that it's ahrd to do due to regulatory pressure but is there a legal right people have to trsnfer out do you know?

Appreciate if anyone else knows. iirc @Democorruptcy did a final salary transfer as well.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, afly said:

I'e been noticing more anti EV discussion on the radio recently plus article in yesterday's MoS.  They all point out the downsides of not enough charging stations or it taking ages to charge the battery.  Also exorbitant price, "range anxiety" and different charging points having different systems to use them etc etc. 

I don't have any direct experience but I detect a turn-around in sentiment in MSM.  Are TPTB changing their minds on EVs?

• Agree 5
  • Informative 5

Yellow_Reduced_Sticker
3 hours ago, M S E Refugee said:

Hopefully this will turn around my Thungela position:CryBaby: I'm down 43%.

I hoping that buying Coal Mining shares during the Summer will pay off this Winter.

Been watching this one as VERY INTERESTED in Thungela Resources...

Personally I think (looking at the chart) it's got further to fall around to the £4.50 area, but what do I know!!!:Geek:

Last September 2022, Chief Financial Officer Gideon Frederick Smith SOLD 60,000 shares, mostly at average price of R 379.83 each, for a total of R 22.7 million, around £1.1 million.

COUGH...cough...How CONVENIENT to sell at around the TOP high share price!:CryBaby:

I'm thinking of emailing him AND asking when he's BUYING back in?! xD

tga-price.jpg.c63b07d214abb26ad5bc9aa8f3dbf148.jpg
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 8
  • Vomit 1
  • Cheers 2

belfastchild
18 minutes ago, janch said:

I'e been noticing more anti EV discussion on the radio recently plus article in yesterday's MoS.  They all point out the downsides of not enough charging stations or it taking ages to charge the battery.  Also exorbitant price, "range anxiety" and different charging points having different systems to use them etc etc. 

I don't have any direct experience but I detect a turn-around in sentiment in MSM.  Are TPTB changing their minds on EVs?

Ive thought this would be the direction eventually. Birth to Grave pollution figures will come out and that will be the end of EVs as big heavy, fast beasts. They are still the thing for small city cars though and hybrids are a better use of the battery capacity than pure EV until better tech gets sorted out.

Just mentioned in another post, solar is shite here in NI today so if Im charging my EV its 15% coal! Been a long time since day to day transport was coal powered.

• Agree 3

52 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

Mrs P has about ten years in of a final salary scheme that closed in 2022.

The only prolbem is that when I read the small print the inflation linkage is only up to 2.5% CPI.Firstly that's pretty dire in an era when 5% may be consdiered low and sustained double figure runs quite possible.

I know you've said before that it's ahrd to do due to regulatory pressure but is there a legal right people have to trsnfer out do you know?

Appreciate if anyone else knows. iirc @Democorruptcy did a final salary transfer as well.

I found it impossible to transfer out @sancho panza.  The main reason cited was that I am under 50.  Made a thread on it:-

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2
  • Cheers 1

working woman

Re Useless Eaters - yes I have 2 of those living on my balcony - Costing me a fortune in mealworms.  2 Blackbirds that I have nicknamed Poop and Spike - one poops everywhere, the other raises his feathers in a spikey crest. 

Re ESG Lending - Wow!  I am really suprised  that some Lenders are actually going down that route. This is likely all to do with the Sustainable Development Agenda which stated in the early 70's and we currently have Agenda 2030. I am suprised it is being taken so seriously. 

The reason why people are wondering what the hell is going on, asking questions like "is there a hidden agenda", is because yes, there is an agenda, hidden in plain sight, which the public did not vote for at the ballot box. This is Green Party Policy through the backdoor.

Most people, if they sat down and learned about what Sustainable Development is, which is based on Permaculture* and is how traditional communities survive, would likely agree with it, but many are currently anti because they do not understand it, where it came from and more importantly were not  given the option to vote for it.

It is being imposed on people, rather than people choosing it at the ballot box.  

Take a look at the Green Party's  policy on immigration. Whilst they don't have an open door policy - they used to - they are still quite lax.   Yes, I can understand where they are coming from, being caring and compassionate to others etc etc, but ultimately, you cannot swamp a country with more and more people. It eventually makes life unbearable and unsustainable for the original inhabitants.

We are living through very interesting times.   

Edited by working woman
  • Agree 10

1 hour ago, janch said:

TPTB have realised the national grid ('smart' or otherwise) isn't capable of charging millions of EVs. I have now come to think 2nd hand ICE cars will not only be tolerated but will be positively encouraged to operate for decades to come. After all its not just the 'evil' oil energy factor, but also the problem of the limited supply of minerals needed for batteries and the manufacture of entire new fleets of cars. 

• Agree 10
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, JMD said:

TPTB have realised the national grid ('smart' or otherwise) isn't capable of charging millions of EVs. I have now come to think 2nd hand ICE cars will not only be tolerated but will be positively encouraged to operate for decades to come. After all its not just the 'evil' oil energy factor, but also the problem of the limited supply of minerals needed for batteries and the manufacture of entire new fleets of cars. 

I agree except I think theres no intention to ever provide for millions of EVs. I think an individuals worth will decide who gets the privilege of ownership of private personal transport.

And by worth I mean not only the preserves of the rich and the good, but among the plebs those that are strictly necessary for the function of society.

• Agree 5