DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 5)

spunko

8 minutes ago, belfastchild said:

Fuck sake, I dont know what to watch tonight, now. Margin Call, The Big Short, I am Legend or Terminator!

I am Legend, or maybe the TV series Last of us 

Thats my input for today 

night everyone

• Agree 1
  • Lol 2

Long time lurking
12 minutes ago, marceau said:

They enabled productive expansion that would have been impossible through domestic means. Every T-bill that flowed into China increased govt spending capacity, credit capacity, productive capacity. The flows acted as a steroid for decades; there's nothing 'natty' about Chinese growth.

The key question for China is, can they hold on to the gainz?

How did  they,they are fixed term rates they do not provide liquidity ,that`s what drives spending capacity ,and they have reduced purchases and holdings consistently since 2012 ish 

Now tell me where did they get the dollars to buy the UST`s in the first place

UST`s and the $ are not the same thing 

Edited by Long time lurking
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, marceau said:

They enabled productive expansion that would have been impossible through domestic means. Every T-bill that flowed into China increased govt spending capacity, credit capacity, productive capacity. The flows acted as a steroid for decades; there's nothing 'natty' about Chinese growth.

The key question for China is, can they hold on to the gainz?

Edit - I've edited your quote as I assume that's what you mean.

Not unrelated is the influence of near-zero rates and demanding pension promises in pushing funds to look for outsized returns in China and emerging markets. The issuance of treasury notes is perhaps more related to enabling high-deficit spending within the US to continue, with welfare acting as a cushion for the blow of unemployment created by outsourcing to a country where trade unions have been illegal or toothless. All of this is equally true for the UK and the EU.

Aside from holding on to the gains, another rhetorical question is whether they'll be able to repatriate any that survive.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Long time lurking said:

How did it they are fixed term rates they do not provide liquidity ,that`s what drives spending capacity ,and they have reduced purchases and holdings consistently since 2012 ish 

Now tell me where they they got the dollars to by the UST`s from 

The liquidity, treasury purchases etc were enabled by increased productive capacity, itself enabled by balance of payments. It is not a direct process. What point are you trying to make here?

1 minute ago, darkmarket said:

Not unrelated is the influence of near-zero rates and demanding pension promises in pushing funds to look for outsized returns in China and emerging markets. The issuance of treasury notes is perhaps more related to enabling high-deficit spending within the US to continue, with welfare acting as a cushion for the blow of unemployment created by outsourcing to a country where trade unions have been illegal or toothless. All of this is equally true for the UK and the EU.

Aside from holding on to the gains, another rhetorical question is whether they'll be able to repatriate any that survive.

Yes, the treasury purchases were a win/win, at least until ZIRP became structural. Effectively laundering capacity by cycling China's own expansion back through the US, thereby enabling further expansion. Rinse, repeat.

As for the gains, they have the infra and the businesses and the tech. They didn't have that before. Whatever happens it's a win for them.

• Informative 1

5 minutes ago, marceau said:

Yes, the treasury purchases were a win/win, at least until ZIRP became structural. Effectively laundering capacity by cycling China's own expansion back through the US, thereby enabling further expansion. Rinse, repeat.

As for the gains, they have the infra and the businesses and the tech. They didn't have that before. Whatever happens it's a win for them.

I was quite worried about this, given I don't want to see China's governance model and influence to extend globally. But I'm coming to the view that it's something of a Pyrrhic victory.

The manner in which it obtained its assets has meant that it never had to enable sufficient freedom domestically for a culture of innovation to blossom. Instead, the Party says we want to dominate EVs, for example. The slave-masters/'entrepreneurs' copy or steal the IP necessary to get started, and the competition is based on who can bribe their local Party least and get a reasonably stable workforce for least. The edifice is very brittle, nobody has any attachment or personal engagement. A far cry from Pininfarina.

Nevertheless, to a degree design of iterations depends on mastery of the previous innovation, and for a few years they may retain an element of that. I'm not confident in their ability to use it to create an edge, and Putin's announcement of his intention to enter their target industries makes me think the eventual winners will emerge from a US-RU rivalry, ideally a relatively harmonious one.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 4

Bobthebuilder
29 minutes ago, DoINeedOne said:

I am Legend, or maybe the TV series Last of us 

Thats my input for today 

night everyone

I would recommend the new German all quite on the western front film, the opening 15 minutes are superb, makes you realise government has been lying to its people for a long time. 

Edited by Bobthebuilder
  • Agree 7
  • Informative 3

4 hours ago, Ash4781b said:

Their model (my assumption) is higher employment taxes, increased immigration to cover reduced workforce participation (that’s covered with benefits). If over 50’s withdrawal labour I fear that breaks the economic model. Then I’d expect based on history for ‘easy’ options for them to open up even more immigration. I think what they could of done was freeze benefits in line with inflation. I took the view that politically they couldn’t freeze the state pension but if they do one they have to do the other.

Then there’s the longer term where the think they want to get rid of pension credit. But I think many are planning to rely on that ! 

I agree, for the reasons you state, that mass immigration is here to stay. The polos will pretend to fight it but they are lying.

I hate to admit or accept this because I think this effectively means the UK will not exist in say 25 years time (a country without borders is not really a nation, whatever the progressives like to tell us). Of course saying 'will not exist' means different things to different people, but not for this thread. However I think the statistics speak for themselves. Officially in England and Wales, 17% of the population were born abroad. And that is just the tip of the problem because in the main successive generations don't integrate. Plus we all know the unofficial - real- figures will be higher, and getting increasingly worse all the time. 

• Agree 6

1 minute ago, darkmarket said:

I was quite worried about this, given I don't want to see China's governance model and influence to extend globally. But I'm coming to the view that it's something of a Pyrrhic victory.

The manner in which it obtained its assets has meant that it never had to enable sufficient freedom domestically for a culture of innovation to blossom. Instead, the Party says we want to dominate EVs, for example. The slave-masters/'entrepreneurs' copy or steal the IP necessary to get started, and the competition is based on who can bribe their local Party least and get a reasonably stable workforce for least. The edifice is very brittle, nobody has any attachment or personal engagement. A far cry from Pininfarina.

Nevertheless, to a degree design of iterations depends on mastery of the previous innovation, and for a few years they may retain an element of that. I'm not confident in their ability to use it to create an edge, and Putin's announcement of his intention to enter their target industries makes me think the eventual winners will emerge from a US-RU rivalry, ideally a relatively harmonious one.

There is no way of knowing where China will go from here. Only that the paradigm of the last 40 years is almost certainly  over, so a new one will have to start. 'Freedom' in the American sense is (rightly imo) regarded by them as an enemy political weapon, so it's highly unlikely to apply to whatever they're going to do. Ditto Russia - just unknowable imo.

The US, on the other hand, seems more predictable. They've got a clear set up to take advantage of their economic postion, and factionalism within the US govt apparatus means that one way or another there's a limit to the damage political stupidity can do to their prospects of exploiting that set up. This banking 'crisis' doesn't seem that significant to me, but it'll be interesting to see how it is handled. I suspect that the economically-minded factions of US gov will be happy to see business duffers and bullshitters go to the wall, clearing out dead wood while knowing that they have the liquidity mechanisms to prevent a wider crisis. This isn't the same system that went down in 2008. Guess we'll find out next week.

• Agree 8

17 minutes ago, marceau said:

This banking 'crisis' doesn't seem that significant to me, but it'll be interesting to see how it is handled.

I expect its significance to be more outside the borders of the US. Markets will test the Fed's resolve in its current path, media and the VC community will continue shrieking like teenage girls, but in the end the levels of fragility are much greater in Italy, Spain, France, the UK or China.

• Agree 2

Noallegiance
39 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I would recommend the new German all quite on the western front film, the opening 15 minutes are superb, makes you realise government has been lying to its people for a long time. 

Holy God the fight in the bomb crater.

Saving Private Ryan? Pah. Kids film.

• Agree 1

Long time lurking
1 hour ago, marceau said:

The liquidity, treasury purchases etc were enabled by increased productive capacity, itself enabled by balance of payments. It is not a direct process. What point are you trying to make here?

I already made it up thread 

Long time lurking
22 minutes ago, F150 said:

Hope they raise rates tomorrow

That may well happen nothing like a crisis as an excuse for a emergency rate hike after all the FED want to create a recession 

• Agree 1

What do people think will happen to UK rates?  Continue to follow the might USD/Fed or continue higher to reflect the increased risk of GBP?

Bobthebuilder
32 minutes ago, Noallegiance said:

Holy God the fight in the bomb crater.

Saving Private Ryan? Pah. Kids film.

The opening sequence that shows how the dead men's uniform and boot's were considered more valuable than the soldiers lives is eye opening. The casting of the lead actor is genius. Can't recommend it highly enough. 

• Agree 4
  • Informative 2

7 minutes ago, ThoughtCriminal said:

But they're not doing any of it because they love each other, they're doing it because they despise the Americans.

Western civilisation is going down the toilet. Just look around you. Do you think you could conscript an army out of the human excrement that makes up 50%+ of most western nations? We're obese, entitled, narcissistic nihilists, circling the toilet bowl of history.

I'm glad it's not my job, and I wouldn't sign up to fight for globohomo, but I wouldn't be too pessimistic. The question is relative, and I wouldn't want the job in China or in India either. I think the problems are more material and structural, supply chains first and foremost.

The apparent hatred for the West existed long before the spread of cultural Marxism here. It's often as simple as a facile way to shore up a population disaffected by the inhumane treatment they receive in their own societies. Given the rates at which they emigrate and keep their capital abroad, you'd have to worry about treason too. Pepe Escobar and his re-hashed Frantz Fanon fantasies are a bit tired, they won't really wash with the average Chinese zoomer.

I'm glad you mentioned the endemic obesity by the way, all the more reason the war on smoking should be put to an end.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

belfastchild
7 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

The opening sequence that shows how the dead men's uniform and boot's were considered more valuable than the soldiers lives is eye opening. The casting of the lead actor is genius. Can't recommend it highly enough. 

I dont think that was in the 1979 film with 'john boy' walton. The crater scene was as was the ending.
Its worth a watch as well if you dont have netflix.

• Agree 1