DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 6)

spunko

5 minutes ago, Alifelessbinary said:

That’s the first time I’ve seen an AI generated propaganda video. As someone who’s obsessed with the AI revolution unfolding I expect twitter to become a constant stream of such material moving forward from all nations and political classes. The information war is now AI powered and it’s frighteningly easy to create such things.

We are moving from a position where knowledge was power, to knowledge overload. The key skill moving forward will be ensuring people can analyse, filter and assess information.

So many things are about to change, but governments are going to love their new found power to manipulate and control.

Garbage in, garbage out still holds.  Like the BoE models.  And information isn't knowledge 

• Agree 5
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Axeman123 said:

That is an incredibly long cycleO.o.

6 minutes ago, DurhamBorn said:

Hybrid cars maybe,anything to lower oil use,public transport,bikes,anything,but joined up thinking.

All this incredibly long cycle talk and reducing the need for oil use got me thinking

MixedGrimyDegu-max-1mb.gif

• Lol 4

10 hours ago, Long time lurking said:

Interesting, so my 'read' of that is that it wont be the single "My second property is my pension" brigade that will suffer the pain, but the "Property never goes down so I am 'balls in and leveraged upon leveraged" that will suffer. I assume the Conventional 2+ are the 'Accidental landlords'?...who will [if they are sensible] get out 'sooner rather than later with a small loss?

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Lightscribe said:

No debt/paid off - Boomer category or those that have inherited (my property is my pension) won’t be losing their shirt anytime soon. When Labour get in however, with second home/carbon/energy/wealth taxes however

The conventional mortgages will be as you say ‘accidental landlords’ on ‘consent to let’ on the their standard mortgage conditions which can only be done for 2 years.

Here in Oz the greens are pushing hard on the Labor gvt for rent caps and rent freezes, due to 'cost of living crisis' (despite the fact that the greens caused a lot of it).  Labor are terrified of losing more ground to the greens, so will probably cave and agree.  Cue private landlords realising that mortgage payments can go up whilst rental income cannot....

• Informative 3
  • Cheers 1

Long time lurking
1 hour ago, MrXxxx said:

Interesting, so my 'read' of that is that it wont be the single "My second property is my pension" brigade that will suffer the pain, but the "Property never goes down so I am 'balls in and leveraged upon leveraged" that will suffer. I assume the Conventional 2+ are the 'Accidental landlords'?...who will [if they are sensible] get out 'sooner rather than later with a small loss?

What i see is the 5+ properties IO brigade with 70% debt ,if based on todays prices only have a 10% price drop window before they will have to find money to refinance the a-typical two year fix, as i`m pretty sure just about every BTL IO mortgage requires a minimum 20% deposit    

Equity is all ways the first casualty when prices start to fall 

• Agree 4
  • Cheers 1

Long time lurking

I cant remember who was asking/talking about this subject,i`m not sure if it`s a heavy water reactor or molten salt 

It`s an interesting thread if it`s all correct 

Edited by Long time lurking
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 7
  • Cheers 1

Hubbert’s Peak is Here

The only source of growth over the past decade, the shales, are now beginning to show signs of exhaustion.

I don't know how accurate this report is but hopefully @Cattle Prod will give it a once over, it seems legit to me.

https://blog.gorozen.com/blog/hubberts-peak-is-finally-here

The West/NATO countries had better start to either make friends with or invade and take the oil of OPEC and other oil producing countries. Perhaps Ukraine and Syria are the start of more serious energy supply confrontations? Maybe.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 6

Wight Flight
5 minutes ago, Pip321 said:

I began to follow the 118 property website when c24 was introduced ie restricting of mortgage interest tax relief. I was paying a fairly hefty £1k a month interest.

I was disgruntled at the change and was looking at ways to mitigate rather than pay off my debt. However a few things became apparent.

1) many of the posters were talking of payments of £60k and I genuinely thought the meant a year….really I did….but I realised they meant a month 🤢

2) all the the posters were fuming about the change….as entitled as a fat lass on benefits. 

3) many had leveraged against the gains ie buy house for £100k which is now worth £200k with a debt of £180k……so they had reborrowed and used the money to buy more houses and a little treat such as a Range Rover for £70k

Now I knew 3 was possible but respect for debt and a knowledge rates can rise….I used to sell to crystallise gains. But the other reason you don’t do what they had is CGT. You sell the house for £100k and pay say £28k CGT then the equity is effectively minus £8k. Mention that and the response is NEVER SELL. Hmmm…..never say never 😉

I also realised we have 2m landlords. With cheap money, interest only mortgages and an ability to leverage then if left as it was then the 2m landlords might acquire the 20m uk properties and rent them out to the rest of the population. Hardly fair for an essential need…..(although tbf I might argue our essential services should all be non profit ie water etc but that’s another degree of argument) 

Anyway, It was the entitlement and a likening to being treated like Jews during the holocaust 🤦🏻‍♂️……that confirmed where I stood, ie firmly in favour of higher rates and C24 albeit at a potential cost to me.

Many of these guys will be tied in. Effectively they have already spent the gains assuming property can’t fall and there will never be a scenario where they need to sell.
Some individuals borrowed more than a medium/large engineering firm using expensive tooling with 40 staff might borrow. It all became too casual and too easy. The fully leveraged multiple residential property owning model is dying…..but I would say it was always dead and was just a matter of time until the luck ran out. 

I agree with that.

The hoops you had to jump through to buy a £300k press, a productive asset that would employ 3 people, was extraordinary.

And then you would be expected to pay 5% over base, and repay in 6 years.

in hindsight i should have collected slaveboxes, as many did.

• Agree 8
  • Informative 1
  • Bogged 2
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Pip321 said:

1) many of the posters were talking of payments of £60k and I genuinely thought the meant a year….really I did….but I realised they meant a month 🤢

Fuckinhell £60k monthly. No way can that be sustainable as you say thats the debt load a decent size business.

• Agree 3
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

We still have 200 years worth of coal up here for the whole country.I think the green bullshit is such a disaster because there is a real need to come off oil and gas,but we need to be realistic.We need to work out how much we have,and how we need to be careful with it while we develop to new energy.The net zero rubbish is the real threat to humanity and the planet because if we dont develop new energy before oil and gas run out every tree on the planet will be chopped down in short order,then 5 billion will starve.

The first thing to do is expand nuclear to the level where we are not burning much gas for electric.Hybrid cars maybe,anything to lower oil use,public transport,bikes,anything,but joined up thinking.I would tax gas guzzlers hard,not for net zero,but because they are wasting resources we cant afford to waste.Like everything else,it seems we are being led by children and loons rather than hard headed thinkers.

The way they are going grid power is the one to collapse first. In the past a lot of business could partially and almost fully function -   telephones still work so comms OK, paper based systems, everything on computer it would not just be industry affected almost no systems would work under a power cut, zero data.  In some ways this is a good thing as if this situation is due to incompetence rather than malevolence then an immediate course change would need to be made.

Edited by onlyme
  • Agree 7

Lightscribe
5 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

If we were to rejoin I wonder how many indigenous Brits would up sticks and go to cheaper Sunnier climes in the EU?

The UK would be left with a rapidly diminishing tax base and an ever increasing amount of parasites.

I think that’s the idea. Or they are making very good progress towards it through ‘incompetence’.

Only a potential digital ID will make sure that any ‘tax owed’ will follow you wherever you go.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, onlyme said:

They way they are going grid power is the one to collapse first. In the past a lot of business could partically and almost full function -   telephones still work so comms OK, paper based systems, everything on computer it would not just be industry affected almost no systems would work under a power cut, zero data.  In some ways this is a good thing as if this situation is due to incompetence rather than malevolence then an immediate course change would need to be made.

I'm hearing on the grapevine of issues with infrastructure maintenance like the electric grid here in OZ; the blue collars withdrawing labor in a go slow way.  Could be rubbish....

• Informative 6

Wight Flight
30 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

The real killer is the fact most have spent their CTG liabilities before they were ever due 

That is the real rock and a hard place for those that played that game ,and that comes into play before any price drops are factored in which will only compound the problem even further 

Good enough price drop and there won't be any CGT liability.

Every cloud and all that :)

• Lol 8

Long time lurking
10 hours ago, Alifelessbinary said:

That’s the first time I’ve seen an AI generated propaganda video.

You have clearly not been paying attention,as there have been some hilarious Putin videos mocking the the west dating back well over six months 

At first i thought there's some very clever editors out there,but then i realised they were way to good for that  

• Informative 1

Long time lurking
5 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Good enough price drop and there won't be any CGT liability.

Every cloud and all that :)

Yep but the equity needed for them to re mortgage will have disappeared a looooong time before that occurs 

What do they do then :D

14 minutes ago, wherebee said:

I'm hearing on the grapevine of issues with infrastructure maintenance like the electric grid here in OZ; the blue collars withdrawing labor in a go slow way.  Could be rubbish....

The real power is in the physical hands of a very few people in reality, they just don;t realise it, or maybe they are beginning to realise it.

I have heard a lot of stories about the US grid, was a running theme for months, total lack of suppply of basics like transformer kit and the scrap pile being scavenged for temporary replacements.

Port closures Sateside thanks to strikes - have you heard of those? Apparently a thing, Loads of leftfield situations that are below the radar.

Edited by onlyme
  • Informative 7