DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Where to Migrate to?

No One

Hello all, 

I'm starting this thread because I'm mulling the idea of leaving the UK for greener pastures. The ideal is a country with either lower tax or higher income with lower costs. I'm thinking APAC or ME like Dubai. 

Any thoughts?

• Agree 1

PatronizingGit

Its kind of ironic that while we ostensibly treat 'democracy' (often spread down the barrel of a gun) as some kind of holy grail, the most appetising thing to me about Dubai is the lack of democracy. 

• Agree 4

32 minutes ago, No One said:

Hello all, 

I'm starting this thread because I'm mulling the idea of leaving the UK for greener pastures. The ideal is a country with either lower tax or higher income with lower costs. I'm thinking APAC or ME like Dubai. 

Any thoughts?

Do you have the skills

A great idea for a thread IMO.

First and foremost you need to be clear on what your income source will be: if employment your options will be largely limited to choosing between what jobs you can get and where they are located. If investment income (GDXJ inshallah, Dave Hunter peace be upon him etc) then the world is your oyster, and tax is optional. This is something I have been looking into for a while.

Thinking next in terms of world regions:

• The Med is in the path of migrant hordes, ruining Cyprus and Malta as tax havens to live in IMO. Islands would probably do most peoples heads in after a while anyway.
  • Mainland Europe is generally expensive and high tax, although some countries have reduced tax schemes. If you want advanced cities with old world charm it is going to cost.
  • Asia is what it is, which you either like or not. Thailand and Malaysia have great tax haven schemes for residence. Generally Asian countries will give you visas, sometimes even for 20 years etc, but never a path to citizenship or even permanent residence status. Asian countries also tend to put a lot of barriers in the way of land ownership for foreigners, although there are workarounds and exceptions in some cases.
  • LATAM again is what it is. Standout countries are Panama and Costa Rica with Territorial tax systems (ie tax free if you hold assets offshore!). Both countries apparently made learning English from an early age a priority in schools back in the 1990s so you could manage with limited Spanish in many parts of them. Climate, beaches, golf, chicas, and a good hub for regular travel to playgrounds without favourable tax systems within the region (eg Colombia, Cuba or Mexico). Landlocked Paraguay way further south has similar Territorial taxation, and is apparently the new hotness for expats, although english isn't widely spoken.
  • EDIT forgot Middle East, ME has an inhuman climate for around a third of the year. If you can either stick it out by staying indoors, go travelling or keep a second home for those months each year then so be it. Dubai is shockingly expensive, and drugs are a total no-no to the point OTC drugs from the west can get you locked up if you aren't very careful.
Edited by Axeman123
  • Informative 6

2 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

What are peoples thoughts on Belize?

English spoken is the main draw. AIUI their visa schemes are all focused on retirement. The safe parts aren't cheap, and full of yanks. Flat 25% tax on income, no CGT.

I hear the diving etc is great, but I would think it would be better as a playground to visit than a tax residence. Only exception would be if your dream is to run a dive boat for tourists or similar.

• Cheers 1

MrLibertyRedux
3 minutes ago, Axeman123 said:

English spoken is the main draw. AIUI their visa schemes are all focused on retirement. The safe parts aren't cheap, and full of yanks. Flat 25% tax on income, no CGT.

I hear the diving etc is great, but I would think it would be better as a playground to visit than a tax residence. Only exception would be if your dream is to run a dive boat for tourists or similar.

I dive so that is why it was on my list. Pending minor health issues being sorted I'm hoping to go on an exploratory junket there next year so I'll report back.

• Informative 1
  • Cheers 2

8 hours ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

What are peoples thoughts on Belize?

I once watched YT video on 'best places to emigrate to' and some of those countries around Central America cropped up a few times. Panama struck a chord with me.

Even Mexico was mentioned iirc. Alright as long as one doesn't get mixed up in criminal matters.

• Agree 1

The answer to that question depends on two things:

1 - do you have wealth enough so you do not have to work, and is it income generating

2 - do you not have children under 18

If the answer to both is YES, middle east could be great.  If the answer to the first is YES but second NO, middle east is bad, but Asia could be good.  If the answer to the first and second is NO, then I'd say still Australia - you can live in a cheaper area, work at a shit job, and still be OK, and your kids will be safe.  Australia will be one of the best 'old western' countries in the next 50 years, as we have shitloads of resources and both the yanks and chinks want us, so we'll be showered with free shit.

I don't know enough about LATAM, having only been to the big cities.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

reformed nice guy
24 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

is IoW part of the Global South ?

Depends where your standing.

I hear you can rent cheap on IoW and incomers are welcome

• Bogged 1
  • Lol 2

Wherever you go, there you are.

I don't see anywhere better than the UK. Friends and family are here. We have no real extremes of weather. Great CASK. English is attempted to be spoken. Food is cheap. Historical intrigue is everywhere. 

• Agree 2
  • Lol 1

Personally I think it's better to stay here, find a way of maxing out your salary and getting a remote gig, then live in a horrendously expensive and white market town or village. They can only support so many kebab shops, taxis and barbers, plus limited social housing, so the 3rd world gimmigrants won't be interested. Then just avoid our turd hole cities.

Edited by gibbon
  • Agree 3
  • Informative 1

On 22/10/2023 at 10:51, No One said:

Any thoughts?

6 months on the continent, 6 months far east??......couple of weeks in UK visiting fam for xmas....

depends if you're a typical Brit I s'pose and addicted to alcohol/live sport/eating shite........what are your sleeping habits? ie I can sleep anyway.......in recent years I've slept in airports, hostels........pop up/quick erect tent in the back of your car and you can travel around wide swathes of Europe and enjoy milder weather in the winter too........i guess it's easier when the Schengen rules don't apply to you......

On 23/10/2023 at 05:48, Stuey said:

Wherever you go, there you are.

I don't see anywhere better than the UK. Friends and family are here. We have no real extremes of weather. Great CASK. English is attempted to be spoken. Food is cheap. Historical intrigue is everywhere. 

Yes, you have to be sure of your motives.

• 2 weeks later...
swiss_democracy_for_all
On 23/10/2023 at 02:41, reformed nice guy said:

Depends where your standing.

I hear you can rent cheap on IoW and incomers are welcome

Yeah, the IOW.

When you say "Fuck off, we're full", @Wight Flight, do you mean full of lawless little cunts?

Couple's £1.2million grade II listed home is ransacked by children who use chainsaws, hammers and axes to leave property 'looking like a warzone' (msn.com)

1 minute ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

The article doesn't mention it was just one of their homes, and looked somewhat derelict.

I don't think they ever stayed there.