DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Death Of London

spygirl

Just now, spygirl said:

That's the worse slur thrown at me.

I hate slipon shoes.

Welcome to MFI. The government's most secret furniture warehouse.

• Agree 1

swiss_democracy_for_all
31 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I expect we wears slip on shoes. The sure sign of a cad.o.O

You'd have them if you lived with an OCD lunatic.

Shoes are not permitted in our apartment, so not long after we first lived together I "transitioned" to the caddish world of slip-ons.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

1 minute ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Shoes are not permitted in our apartment, so not long after we first lived together I "transitioned" to the caddish world of slip-ons.

I say, Ding, Dong.

• Agree 1

Just now, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

It's not an appartment, is it? It's a secure hospital safe place. Freedom will be yours, if you let on where you keep the Pope's Nazi gold.

• Agree 1

mattydread
7 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

So proof at last that I am the one and only The XYY Man - accept no fucking substitute...!!!

XYY

Yer still a Cunt, though.

Love ya Twatty Bollocks :D

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

43 minutes ago, spygirl said:

That's the worse slur thrown at me.

I hate slipon shoes.

At least I'm not banned.

Xyy, the Jimmy savile of hpc.....

I got moderated on TOS because beary mcbearwotsit demanded it 😁

Oh, and Jimmy Savile's estate are threatening to sue you for defamation of character.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

2 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

We used to have that years ago, bloody fantastic, bacon toast, pasties or sausage barms in the morning, scones, shortbread or toasted teacakes in the afternoon all served from a trolley by a lady in her late 50s early 60s who knew everybody by name.

Don't forget the rattle of the cups as it trundled closer and closer...

• Agree 2

For years fancied living in zone 2 but now pleased I'm in zone 4 , have a OK sized garden and car parking.  Haven't been on the tube for 6 weeks and don't fancy the idea of the Victoroa Line at 8am . Most people I've spoken with feel the same. 

• Agree 2

sarahbell

It will perhaps mean companies decide to get rid of huge offices forever.which is excellent great news for workers who shuffle into London and other big cities for no good reason.

New software for monitoring workloads will be needed I think. Else people might decline in productivity. Or not.

• Informative 1

SillyBilly
4 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

It will perhaps mean companies decide to get rid of huge offices forever.which is excellent great news for workers who shuffle into London and other big cities for no good reason.

New software for monitoring workloads will be needed I think. Else people might decline in productivity. Or not.

I'd suggest its Britain's obsession with micro management, reporting and recording data for data's sake that is a big part of our productivity problem. More software monitoring unproductive work will make us more unproductive... more unproductive output. 

The Brits don't need more hours at the coalface "logged in", we already know we do more than most of Europe, we just don't produce much as most of what we do is pointless BS.

• Agree 6

Rare Bear
11 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

The thing about public transport is it is the holy grail of the environmental movement, everything hinges around it and the acceptance by the plebs that it is the safest and greenest option when its biggest flaw is rampant transmission of disease and the promotion of mass movement of people every single day into centres of concentration.

It's biggest flaw these days is that in London it has become barbarically overcrowded. The transmission of diseases is collateral damage.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Things ain't gonna change that much. If you got a job at a software developer/code monkey at a so called "progressive" company, a job which begs remote working or at the very least one man offices for uninterrupted concentration..you'd think employing expensive developers you'd want to maximise their productivity...yet they still pack us into noisy open plan office like sardines.

Here's facebook for example:

Can Facebook Fix Its Own Worst Bug? - The New York Times

Look at the fucking state of it. It's shit like the above, my own version of hell, full of soy boy passive aggressive SJW wankers, why I could never go back to corporate IT.

• Agree 6
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 2

On 02/05/2020 at 08:24, Chewing Grass said:

Ours has one shared 'kettle' thing per 100 employees and the there is the frigging toilet facilities which are minimal as well to maximise productive space.

It is a viral paradise.

O.o It sounds like my workplace. xD I work in 8 ajoining industrial units. There were perhaps 40-ish people working here when I joined 8 years ago. Not only has that swelled to 70 but around 8-10 others from a different department has joined us as their work has temporarily dried up.

One of those wall mounted boiler jobbies that disperses hot water. One unisex disabled spec toilet on the first floor mezzanine office where I work gets a lot of use during the day. A right arse of a situation when someone decides to take a lengthy 'comfort break', no pun intended. When there's at least one person waiting outside 'cross legged' , others have to resort to the two other sets of toilets on the ground floor...at the opposite end of the building. Can take about 2 minutes to walk there...and THEN one of those could be engaged too. One is a gents toilets on its own but its also a disabled spec one and the other is a ladies with 4 cubicles. I had to use the ladies once when the upstairs one was being repainted (could have been done at the weekend when hardly anyone is in imo). A female colleague made sure that it was empty before I went in, just to save the possiblilty of an embarrassing situation.

The landlord of the industrial units are supposed to be building a new toilet block at a cost to them of £100k iirc but little movement has occurred. No soil pipes have been installed thus far. Considering the increased proportion of male to female employees over the years, it is desperately needed.

Did I mention that in the 'viral paradise' wherein I work is a building used by an NHS Hospital Trust? 9_9

On 02/05/2020 at 08:15, spygirl said:

Well, reading this:

UK offices set to remain closed for months

Working at home to become the norm as government lays out plan for easing lockdown

https://www.ft.com/content/1a9a0e61-511f-43ff-8a81-987ee223c4a9

White-collar employers will be expected to keep most staff working from home for several months to prevent public transport from being overwhelmed, senior government figures said.

Err, its really only London that has a high number of employees using public transport to work.

Virtually unheard of the North, outside of the larger cities.

Combine this with the large number of non natives - I think is now ~50% non native. Who, surprise, are more likely to be a Somali single mum of 11 than a rich international banker.

About 30% of London housing stock is private rentals.

Even the photo in the FT article is revealing

a626b5cb-89e7-4dfd-80d0-81aa89320833.jpg

The company I work with has a flagship head office for around 50 people just by Liverpool Street Station. They've gone the whole hog - bean bags, beer fridge, pool table, X Box, Pick and Mix etc. Senior Management have now started to question why they've bothered as productivity is much higher with everyone working from home.

• Lol 1

10 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

supposed to be building a new toilet block at a cost to them of £100k iirc but little movement has occurred

Fnarr! Fnarr!xD

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bingobob said:

The company I work with has a flagship head office for around 50 people just by Liverpool Street Station. They've gone the whole hog - bean bags, beer fridge, pool table, X Box, Pick and Mix etc. Senior Management have now started to question why they've bothered as productivity is much higher with everyone working from home.

I wonder what term  your employers  have the building for ? Months , years?  It will take a long time for companies to reposition . Also does everyone want to work from home?  Especially if in cramped conditions - usual in London. 

• Agree 1

stop_the_craziness
9 minutes ago, Bingobob said:

Funny isn't it?  Encouraging people to leave their desks and play stupid games of "fussball" and chat round water coolers whilst simultaneously thinking that someone doing useful real-life multi-tasking by putting their washing on at the same time as working (from home) needs to be policed or avoided.  Trust.  Fundamental lack of trust.

• Agree 7

8 minutes ago, Bingobob said:

My company must have had the same consultants. Suggested an ideas room where there were plants, games, etc. From memory not much use at all. In the past either people went to the basement or up to the attic. I think looking back was probably for sex 

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

O.o It sounds like my workplace. xD I work in 8 ajoining industrial units. There were perhaps 40-ish people working here when I joined 8 years ago. Not only has that swelled to 70 but around 8-10 others from a different department has joined us as their work has temporarily dried up.

One of those wall mounted boiler jobbies that disperses hot water. One unisex disabled spec toilet on the first floor mezzanine office where I work gets a lot of use during the day. A right arse of a situation when someone decides to take a lengthy 'comfort break', no pun intended. When there's at least one person waiting outside 'cross legged' , others have to resort to the two other sets of toilets on the ground floor...at the opposite end of the building. Can take about 2 minutes to walk there...and THEN one of those could be engaged too. One is a gents toilets on its own but its also a disabled spec one and the other is a ladies with 4 cubicles. I had to use the ladies once when the upstairs one was being repainted (could have been done at the weekend when hardly anyone is in imo). A female colleague made sure that it was empty before I went in, just to save the possiblilty of an embarrassing situation.

The landlord of the industrial units are supposed to be building a new toilet block at a cost to them of £100k iirc but little movement has occurred. No soil pipes have been installed thus far. Considering the increased proportion of male to female employees over the years, it is desperately needed.

Did I mention that in the 'viral paradise' wherein I work is a building used by an NHS Hospital Trust? 9_9

I thought number of toilets is fixed for the number of employees. Building reg?

16 hours ago, SillyBilly said:

I'd suggest its Britain's obsession with micro management, reporting and recording data for data's sake that is a big part of our productivity problem. More software monitoring unproductive work will make us more unproductive... more unproductive output. 

The Brits don't need more hours at the coalface "logged in", we already know we do more than most of Europe, we just don't produce much as most of what we do is pointless BS.

Britain's?

Its  not micro management, its job creation for full time managers.

Depending on which sector you work in, there may be a large bulk of managers who just manage.

16 hours ago, sarahbell said:

The sad thing is, that I'm currently writing software that does exactly that - just because it was on my to-do list and had a couple of interesting issues to investigate and play with.

1 hour ago, gibbon said:

Things ain't gonna change that much. If you got a job at a software developer/code monkey at a so called "progressive" company, a job which begs remote working or at the very least one man offices for uninterrupted concentration..you'd think employing expensive developers you'd want to maximise their productivity...yet they still pack us into noisy open plan office like sardines.

Look at the fucking state of it. It's shit like the above, my own version of hell, full of soy boy passive aggressive SJW wankers, why I could never go back to corporate IT.

I've seen far, far worse than that - at least it's got high ceiling. 

Adobe's London office is hell. Microsoft Paddington is OK but that isn't for mere mortals if you are one of those it's Reading for you mate.

The worst bit of that photo is that it reminded me to change the back support on my Aeron chair as it had fallen down.

25 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I thought number of toilets is fixed for the number of employees. Building reg?

Yes but building regs only apply to new builds (and to a lesser extent refurbs).

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, eek said:

I've seen far, far worse than that - at least it's got high ceiling. 

Adobe's London office is hell. Microsoft Paddington is OK but that isn't for mere mortals if you are one of those it's Reading for you mate.

The worst bit of that photo is that it reminded me to change the back support on my Aeron chair as it had fallen down.

Yes but building regs only apply to new builds (and to a lesser extent refurbs).

Have you ever been to another office and, on the home, found that an arm rest or other item that has failed on your own chair, has suddenly fallen into your bag?

Replacement bits for Aeron chairs are fucking expensive.

1 hour ago, gibbon said:

How could anyone work in that place?! Awful!!!

• Agree 1