DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Death Of London

spygirl

7 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Here's the hip new 'co-working' space in Belfast:

111314396-138290ff-88bb-4271-847d-2fbd0f

So you're meant to run your startup by sitting virtually on someone's knee, hunched over squinting at a laptop.

But hey they have free coffee and tea and diabetes inducing snacks! Cool!

Looks like some sterile museum, but I guess that's the point. Boggles the mind that people will stump up large wedges of cash every month to have the "pleasure" of working in that shit hole. I mean look at the fucking chairs for starters....how the fuck is that comfy?

Some web designer lads I knew wanted me to work with them in their co-op office which was decked out like that, and pay for the privilege! Err no thanks. They went bankrupt anyway as they spent more time designing their office to look cool rather than looking for clients...much more important than demeaning yourself with sales.

• Agree 1

JoeDavola
Just now, gibbon said:

Looks like some sterile museum, but I guess that's the point. Boggles the mind that people will stump up large wedges of cash every month to have the "pleasure" of working in that shit hole. I mean look at the fucking chairs for starters....how the fuck is that comfy?

Some web designer lads I knew wanted me to work with them in their co-op office which was decked out like that, and pay for the privilege! Err no thanks. They went bankrupt anyway as they spent more time designing their office to look cool rather than looking for clients...much more important than demeaning yourself with sales.

It's actually a beautiful building, or was, as it was the public baths building, which was then an art gallery, and now had been bought and turned into this hell.

Here it is with some people in it:

Workspaces - Ormeau Baths Belfast

Observe the overweight middle aged bloke, doing himself back and eye damage sat hunched over squinting at a laptop. This is presumably the dream that you're working towards in this industry ;)

Making a splash: Ormeau Baths isn’t just a coworking space, it’s a community

https://technation.io/news/making-a-splash-ormeau-baths-isnt-just-a-coworking-space-its-a-community/

ormeau-baths.jpg

Just now, Panther said:

What can you do there you couldn't do from home, except 'network' with wankers

See above - it's the community dude!

• Lol 1

10 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

ormeau-baths.jpg

See above - it's the community dude!

I see they are both non-conforming by dressing like Zuckerberg

• Lol 2

24 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Those chaps need to lay off the soy.

£249 p/m for your own desk...what a bunch of pricks. Bet that added on to your rent will easily get you an extra room to use as a study customised exactly how you want...or just use the extra money to pay down your mortgage and retire 10 years sooner. But I guess that isn't hip.

The lads I mentioned earlier wanted me to pay £300 p/m for a desk....my rent on the 1 bed flat I was renting at the time was only £450 p/m.

Behind all of these "cool" projects there's always some boomer ex-accountant BTL scumlord in a fucking awful shirt

690714042_Screenshotfrom2020-05-0511-19-46.thumb.png.2e0d75b55d72b74c9c8a4a768e13e6f3.png

Edited by gibbon
  • Agree 1
  • Lol 2

1 hour ago, PatronizingGit said:

I hear that. My brand new (in 2000,anyway) university campus was described as 'cutting edge' By cutting edge, they meant lots of glass, which meant freezing in winter, boiling in summer. Of course, they had an 'eco friendly' cooling system. Which translated into 'we arent paying for air-con' and instead let channels of wind in that would quite easily throw your notes across the room. 

I always just headed for the windowless 70s library on the old campus instead of the 'bathed in natural light' 2000s fish tank variant. Far easier to work when you dont have constant distractions out the window & sun and cloud continually altering light levels. I wish this obsession with almost entirely glass buildings would die a death. Beyond airport terminals, I dont really think it works. 

They leak like a sieve too.

God help you if a window gets bust.

JoeDavola
3 minutes ago, gibbon said:

£249 p/m for your own desk...what a bunch of pricks. Bet that added on to your rent will easily get you an extra room to use as a study customised exactly how you want...or just use the extra money to pay down your mortgage and retire 10 years sooner. But I guess that isn't hip.

I live very close to that building, my rent is £600 per month and I've got more than enough space to work from home.

47 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

So you're meant to run your startup by sitting virtually on someone's knee, hunched over squinting at a laptop.

That would be like trying to work at Wagammama.

Some of the in/out serviced office space are very good.

You get a desk, n office and internet for fuckall

https://www.easyoffices.com/uk/serviced-office-space/whitby/the-ropery/3734

An office, 250/m all-in is good value. 

No fucking way would I pay to share a fucking bench. You do that cheaper at Starbucks.

Im not sure why LAs are so keen as these business will never employ many people. which is meant to be why they are subbing then.

• Lol 1

20 minutes ago, Panther said:

I see they are both non-conforming by dressing like Zuckerberg

workspaces.png&w=1400&zc=1

Youve just rumbled some 50+yo whos not told his wife that hes been laid off from the accountancy company.

Did they have to pay the black guy to come in a pose, get that vibrant look:

Please can come in for a photo shoot?

No.

Oh go on.

Can I wear my baseball hat backwards?

• Lol 3

JoeDavola
7 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Did they have to pay the black guy to come in a pose, get that vibrant look:

No but they paid a slim woman in a dress to walk across the room in the other shot, to let on it'll be full of women: :D

co-working-space-belfast.png&w=1400&zc=1

Edited by JoeDavola
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JoeDavola said:

I'm getting a fucking anxiety attack just looking at that.

I spent 6 years of my 20's in a room like that. They even blocked out the fucking windows for some reasons so very little natural light. I loathed it. Chronic stress, being asked to the delier the impossible whilst all around you people are yakking away or noisily playing the company Playstation in the breakout area which was only like 3 m from my desk (I shit you not). I remember being on the phone to a client and having to ask them to repeat themselves because someone was screaming at Fifa on the Playstation a few meters away from me.

It's pretty much torture. Seriously - imagine spending most of your life (given the long hours these jobs entail) in that environment.

Bonus point for anyone who spotted the 'Black Lives Matter' sign on the notice board to the right:

image.png.6b3d8d59fb37609aa96b6d72bdb3272b.png

Not enough to give them a fucking job, clearly. Lots of white and yellow, but no black.

• Agree 2
  • Lol 1

MrLibertyRedux
1 hour ago, spygirl said:

Youve just rumbled some 50+yo whos not told his wife that hes been laid off from the accountancy company.

I know someone who did that. Got a deal in the severance package to keep the company car, got suited and booted and left for the office every day as usual, the lot.

Wife only found out when she opened a letter about the house repossession months later.

33 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

I know someone who did that. Got a deal in the severance package to keep the company car, got suited and booted and left for the office every day as usual, the lot.

Wife only found out when she opened a letter about the house repossession months later.

Its very very very very common.

A lot of cases I know,, the bloke gets ~6 months time to get another job.

Most actually get another job,,pitched as 'Time to move on, step down, etc'

In the past it worked, as at 50s the mortgage would be pretty much paid off and kids would be gone/going.

Less so these days, with IPO mortgages,. stupid multiples.

• Agree 1

AlfredTheLittle
2 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

No but they paid a slim woman in a dress to walk across the room in the other shot, to let on it'll be full of women: :D

I like these places, spent a couple of months working from one, it's nicer than sitting at home all day. I agree though about the pricing, complete waste of money just for somewhere to sit - that's why it was only a couple of months 🤔

• Agree 1

Frank Hovis
1 hour ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

It does make sense to me as long as you're reasonably confident of getting another job then why set lots of hares running and make it the big topic of conversation that you're unemployed?

Especially if your wife is going to really worry about it then save her going through that.

You may well get one the next month and nobody needs to know or worry about it.

• Agree 1

Austin Allegro
4 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

You should start a rumour that the left side of the table is for Prods and the right side is for Taigs.

• Lol 4

4 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

I'm getting a fucking anxiety attack just looking at that.

I spent 6 years of my 20's in a room like that. They even blocked out the fucking windows for some reasons so very little natural light. I loathed it. Chronic stress, being asked to the delier the impossible whilst all around you people are yakking away or noisily playing the company Playstation in the breakout area which was only like 3 m from my desk (I shit you not). I remember being on the phone to a client and having to ask them to repeat themselves because someone was screaming at Fifa on the Playstation a few meters away from me.

It's pretty much torture. Seriously - imagine spending most of your life (given the long hours these jobs entail) in that environment.

Bonus point for anyone who spotted the 'Black Lives Matter' sign on the notice board to the right:

image.png.6b3d8d59fb37609aa96b6d72bdb3272b.png

Our place moved to open plan in recent years after much protest from us. I was lucky that I bagged pretty much the best desk location in the place, and it's a very small open plan office, but it's still nowhere near as good as working from home. They also don't have meeting rooms, so meeting happen in the open plan office, so you have to wear headphones during the meetings especially to block out the crap banter and fake laughs from the meetings.

I think the reasons for the open plan is top level management/accountants treating staff like cattle, and wanting to spend as little as possible on office space so just squeeze them in as tight as possible without breaking the fire safety regulations. I also think lots of lower level managers like to be able to look out and see all their staff....from within their own private offices of course.

And there is, as someone else has mentioned, a type of person for whom coming to the office is mainly to socalize as opposed to actually doing anything difficult that requires concentration and brain power. So they might like open plan.

These offices certainly aren't for the benefit of their staff as most 'workers' hate them and the research shows they are bad for you. It's the human equivalent of factory farming.

Christ I worked in an open plan once. Not high tech like some of you guys but what a fucking nightmare. So difficult to concentrate. I moan sometimes about being on my own in my crappy warehouse job but even now I can still here the wimmin’ (it’s usually wimmin) larking about down the corridor. Even in a shit job like mine you have to concentrate and they drive me nuts. And the lighting is so bad I had to install a desk lamp ffs.

• Agree 2

ashestoashes
3 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

dreadful ergonomics

Austin Allegro
5 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

She's possibly been photoshopped in, with the shaky exposure being used to mask the join. Check out the area around her feet, there should be a shadow to the left of her left shoe but there isn't.

• Agree 4
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 1

JoeDavola
14 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

She's possibly been photoshopped in, with the shaky exposure being used to mask the join. Check out the area around her feet, there should be a shadow to the left of her left shoe but there isn't.

Haha very well spotted, you are correct!

1 hour ago, ashestoashes said:

dreadful ergonomics

Those plastic bucket chairs will make arse n lower back sweat like fuck.

The laptop needs to be on stands. And they need to have adjustable chairs.

27 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

It's a fucking ghost!

• Agree 2

Guest Account

'Death Of London' 

Sorry, but I couldn't begin to read comments in a thread with such a ridiculous title.

London has endured thousands of years, and will continue to do so.

That is all.

43 minutes ago, Heffalump said:

'Death Of London' 

Sorry, but I couldn't begin to read comments in a thread with such a ridiculous title.

London has endured thousands of years, and will continue to do so.

That is all.

It's been around for ages.

It's never been that leveraged, in regards to real estate.

Neither has it been so full of non Brits.

London population was shrinking from end of WW2 right up to the mid 80s.

The population was only reversed due to finsec, niw blown up, decimated.

And, following, 2007, migrant population on bennies.

London is now a Labour voting clique. Labour are looking at 10 years out of power at least.

The rest of the UK will rightly question the public sector spend in  London esp. As it's only 50% British.

• Agree 5

sarahbell

Just watching the factory thing with Greg Wallace.

Suspect there's ways to make production lines safer for people. But it'll slow down all the hand done processes. Which makes food More expensive.