DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Death Of London

spygirl

stop_the_craziness
1 hour ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I've been working at home since 11th of March last year. In all that time I would be surprised if I've had more than 6 weeks of just me working at home. There's four of us here all the time and I've really had enough of it. 

Aside from the fact the kids should have been in school weeks ago and they're old enough to look after themselves it's still a distraction. At least when I go to work I know everyone is there for the same reason. 

The other thing I'm finding is that with 4 people in the house all the time the wear and tear is going through the roof and the place is always untidy. Does my head in. 

Yes, I can see that must be difficult.  I think 2020 was the first time that some of my friends and family looked upon my unusual lifestyle choices with anything other than incomprehension and pity :D

13 hours ago, eight said:

Maybe people will live in Central London, and commute to the office in St. Albans?

That happened to a mate of mine in the 80s. He had flat in Islington, and worked near Euston. The work transferred to Luton, and he commuted every day for a while. All paid for.

3 hours ago, MrPin said:

That happened to a mate of mine in the 80s. He had flat in Islington, and worked near Euston. The work transferred to Luton, and he commuted every day for a while. All paid for.

Best way to commute, going against the crowds whether on the road or in a train.

• Agree 1

Austin Allegro
18 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

@Errol You know I have just realized what they can do with all those city center empty offices. Split into bedsits that you work for 8 hours and live in. Hey, you can also get a mortgage on it. Job done.

That was common practice in 19th century department stores. Staff had dormitories so that they could work long hours and not be late for work due to long commutes, because they couldn't afford central London rents.

• Informative 1

Austin Allegro
6 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I've been working at home since 11th of March last year. In all that time I would be surprised if I've had more than 6 weeks of just me working at home. There's four of us here all the time and I've really had enough of it. 

Aside from the fact the kids should have been in school weeks ago and they're old enough to look after themselves it's still a distraction. At least when I go to work I know everyone is there for the same reason. 

The other thing I'm finding is that with 4 people in the house all the time the wear and tear is going through the roof and the place is always untidy. Does my head in. 

I've been WFH since 2018 (long before the Collapse) and you've just made me realise why my previously new looking carpet now looks so worn!

Roger_Mellie
58 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

I've been WFH since 2018 (long before the Collapse) and you've just made me realise why my previously new looking carpet now looks so worn!

Ah tell thee... 

I've got a really nice wooden worktop in the kitchen (Wenge, which really showed my wife to be an eco hypocrite), gets a light sanding and oiling once a year, keeps it looking tip top. 

Usually keeps it looking tip top... With everyone at home and the kids and Mrs. Hanging around the kitchen all day its starting to look like it needs sanding and oiling again after 3 months. Kids leave cups, plates and wrappers everywhere, dishwasher is doing 2 washes a day instead of one, bathrooms seem to be getting dirty twice as fast, I need to hoover twice as often as I did. It's a fucking nightmare. If I'm working at home then everyone else just needs to fuck the fuck off.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Austin Allegro said:

That was common practice in 19th century department stores. Staff had dormitories so that they could work long hours and not be late for work due to long commutes, because they couldn't afford central London rents.

Nothing changed then, except being able to leverage european/global cost of living differentials as well.

Farms, caravans.

Loads of other businesses HMO and hot bedding overcrowded BTLs.

18 hours ago, stokiescum said:

I can’t get the X out of my house im

wondering how to say can you fuck off 2 nights a week so I can get some whores around .she might do something daft if I lob her out and won’t ever get the kids back and then can’t go back to work .

Get her a job!

Just leave job pages open and say - Oh you could do that job.

The Generation Game
5 hours ago, Rare Bear said:

Best way to commute, going against the crowds whether on the road or in a train.

My previous existence going from Surbiton to Esher and my wife going from Putney to Southfields were both glorious commutes for London. Hers especially, as you got to look at all the poor sods crammed onto the opposite platform. When we were in Putney, I decided to walk to South Ken every day (or at least get the bus). 

30 minutes ago, Errol said:

As I said, footfall/travel in London will be around 50% lower. Forever.

'Hybrid working will become the norm'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56331654

Paul Hubble used to have to leave his home in Eastbourne, East Sussex, at 06:10 to get to his desk at Barclays' London headquarters in Canary Wharf by 09:00 - a morning commute of two-and-a-half hours.

He had to leave just before 17:00 if he wanted to make it home for 19:30.

But since home-working became the norm for Barclays employees, Paul says he can get more done.

"I now have more time for myself, but also can be more productive in that I can start work early and finish work.

5 fucki g hours travel a day. Paying 6k for the privilege.

Mid winter, it's not light til 745ish. And dark at 430pm.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 2

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/news/1036636-hundreds-of-bbc-roles-will-move-to-the-north-and-midlands/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=TheUK_18th_Mar_2021_Breaking

Proposals are set out in the BBC’s blueprint for the future entitled The BBC Across the UK.

The BBC says they, “represent top-to-bottom change and will cement our commitment to better reflect, represent, and serve all parts of the country”.

Plans set out in detail in the Across the UK blueprint, include:

• Major parts of BBC News to shift across the UK – Significant parts of BBC News will be moved to centres across the UK, ensuring it covers the stories that matter most to audiences and more effectively represents different voices and perspectives. Half of UK-focused story teams will be based around the country
  • A truly UK-wide BBC – Salford will become the main base for the digital and technology teams – a global centre of excellence – supported by digital teams in Glasgow, Cardiff and London; there will be an expansion of BBC Studios bases in Bristol, Cardiff and Glasgow; an upgraded Belfast HQ; in radio, Newsbeat and Asian Network will be based in Birmingham; while Radio 3 and 6 Music will be rooted in Salford.
  • A doubling of the BBC’s commitment to apprentices – 1,000 apprentices will be supported in any year across the UK and the BBC will pilot an Apprentice Training Agency in the West Midlands.
  • A big investment in BBC local reporting – A network of digital community journalists will enhance regional news provision; there will be a tailored BBC One across Yorkshire, North West and North East England; up to six new peak-time BBC local radio services will be introduced – including in Bradford, Sunderland and Wolverhampton; and new BBC local on-demand bulletins for over 50 areas on BBC Sounds.

Excellent.

I might get a chance with one of the weather girls.

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/news/1036636-hundreds-of-bbc-roles-will-move-to-the-north-and-midlands/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=TheUK_18th_Mar_2021_Breaking

Proposals are set out in the BBC’s blueprint for the future entitled The BBC Across the UK.

The BBC says they, “represent top-to-bottom change and will cement our commitment to better reflect, represent, and serve all parts of the country”.

• Major parts of BBC News to shift across the UK – Significant parts of BBC News will be moved to centres across the UK, ensuring it covers the stories that matter most to audiences and more effectively represents different voices and perspectives. Half of UK-focused story teams will be based around the country
  • A truly UK-wide BBC – Salford will become the main base for the digital and technology teams – a global centre of excellence – supported by digital teams in Glasgow, Cardiff and London; there will be an expansion of BBC Studios bases in Bristol, Cardiff and Glasgow; an upgraded Belfast HQ; in radio, Newsbeat and Asian Network will be based in Birmingham; while Radio 3 and 6 Music will be rooted in Salford.
  • A doubling of the BBC’s commitment to apprentices – 1,000 apprentices will be supported in any year across the UK and the BBC will pilot an Apprentice Training Agency in the West Midlands.
  • A big investment in BBC local reporting – A network of digital community journalists will enhance regional news provision; there will be a tailored BBC One across Yorkshire, North West and North East England; up to six new peak-time BBC local radio services will be introduced – including in Bradford, Sunderland and Wolverhampton; and new BBC local on-demand bulletins for over 50 areas on BBC Sounds.

Excellent.

Funny, I've realised recently that quite a few weather girls are starting to look a bit long in the tooth. Might there have been a hiring spree maybe 25 or 30 years combined with contracts that really favoured those who hung on. Like the old Heathrow based stews who probably inherited their terms of employment from the old BOAC days?

Austin Allegro
4 hours ago, spygirl said:

Excellent.

Hmm. Suspect it just means that they will have  the same London liberal elite mentality at lower rental prices. The problem with the BBC seems to me to be not one of location, but the lack of genuine diversity of thought/opinion in its ranks.

• Agree 4

13 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

Hmm. Suspect it just means that they will have  the same London liberal elite mentality at lower rental prices. The problem with the BBC seems to me to be not one of location, but the lack of genuine diversity of thought/opinion in its ranks.

You're assuming theyll move...

Quentin - I'm a top class manager in media. I can take my talents elsewhere. In fact, I've been earning less because of love of public broadcasting...

12 months later...

Pizza delivery for Dave...

• Agree 3
  • Lol 3

5 hours ago, Rare Bear said:

Funny, I've realised recently that quite a few weather girls are starting to look a bit long in the tooth. Might there have been a hiring spree maybe 25 or 30 years combined with contracts that really favoured those who hung on. Like the old Heathrow based stews who probably inherited their terms of employment from the old BOAC days?

Yeah.

Carol Kirkwood looks dead sticky in some recent photos.

18 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Yeah.

Carol Kirkwood looks dead sticky in some recent photos.

Kirkwood at least knows her business and has a sense of humour. She's the one I'd keep.

• 2 weeks later...
Roger_Mellie
On 09/03/2021 at 20:20, spygirl said:

Paul Hubble used to have to leave his home in Eastbourne, East Sussex, at 06:10 to get to his desk at Barclays' London headquarters in Canary Wharf by 09:00 - a morning commute of two-and-a-half hours.

He had to leave just before 17:00 if he wanted to make it home for 19:30.

But since home-working became the norm for Barclays employees, Paul says he can get more done.

"I now have more time for myself, but also can be more productive in that I can start work early and finish work.

5 fucki g hours travel a day. Paying 6k for the privilege.

Mid winter, it's not light til 745ish. And dark at 430pm.

I once happened to be on the Oxford tube at 5.30am one morning. Full of people commuting from Oxford to London. Fuck that. 

My old boss had a 90 minute commute to London. Once I was down in the London office, we went out for a drink after work and he left us at about 11pm, we met again for breakfast in London at 7am. Fuck that aswell. 

Edited by Roger_Mellie
  • Agree 4

On 30/03/2021 at 08:08, Roger_Mellie said:

I once happened to be on the Oxford tube at 5.30am one morning. Full of people commuting from Oxford to London. Fuck that. 

My old boss had a 90 minute commute to London. Once I was down in the London office, we went out for a drink after work and he left us at about 11pm, we met again for breakfast in London at 7am. Fuck that aswell. 

Did you work for me?

I used to do that sort of commute to London, and worse, for years.  Then in Hong Kong I walked to the office - 12 minutes.

Never again will I commute unless it is to stop us from starving.

• Agree 6

Austin Allegro
On 29/03/2021 at 19:49, spygirl said:

London lags behind as the UK’s vaccine rollout gathers pace

Hesitancy among ethnic groups, deprivation and health inequalities may explain lower uptake of jab

https://www.ft.com/content/52d2bd7d-f4cf-4fa7-918f-976a8cf162d9

Because London is stuffed full of low skilled barely educated 3rd workers on bennies.

Kick them out ffs.

What exactly are they 'deprived' of, and what 'inequalities' are there FFS? They have universal free healthcare, which is more than they'd get back home in Wherethefackistan.

What the authorities' daren't admit is the reason the Bames might be hesitant is many of them will come from countries where they implicitly mistrust their governments. I would imagine many Indians still remember the 'sterilisation in exchange for a transistor radio' programme of the 1970s, for example.

Edited by Austin Allegro
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

What exactly are they 'deprived' of, and what 'inequalities' are there FFS? They have universal free healthcare, which is more than they'd get back home in Wherethefackistan.

What the authorities' daren't admit is the reason the Bames might be hesitant is many of them will come from countries where they implicitly mistrust their governments. I would imagine many Indians still remember the 'sterilisation in exchange for a transistor radio' programme of the 1970s, for example.

I posted this yesterday. The killing fields of London. White means the virus has completely gone BTW.

map.thumb.jpg.08477bc8af170264efee783b44d97044.jpg

• Informative 1

Austin Allegro
On 18/03/2021 at 12:18, spygirl said:

Excellent.

Hilarious. They're just trying to save on rent and pretend that they're representing the whole of the UK, when all they will be doing will be pushing cultural marxism to a wider audience instead of the London elites.

• Agree 1