DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Death Of London

spygirl

• 2 weeks later...

Reform of season tickets to be at heart of getting trains back on track Changes in British working habits mean many commuters will no longer be using railways as often as before the pandemic

https://www.ft.com/content/2529543f-8a39-44ee-a252-5c3048476435

Until the pandemic struck, Mark Cameron used to spend £80 a day commuting for five hours between Portsmouth and the office of his financial services company in the City of London.

The 48-year-old has not done the journey since last March and has no plans to give up so much time and money again. “As fantastic as London is, the benefits do not outweigh getting five hours of your day back,” he said.

£80/day, 5 hours travelling ... to get back to Pompey .. fuck that.

In this case, it would make sense to say fuck the season ticket and arrange to work a few afternoons a weeks, travelling down on a Network SE card, arriving after 9am, buying tickets well in advance.

ed442ef0-a436-11eb-865e-07da58b321d8-sta

Death of the rail unions.

Only the threat of all the London commuters not being able to get to work make UKGOvs step down.

Now ... fuckem.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 3

They will have to make tickets much, much cheaper to get people to go into London. So cheap that you could just go in for the fun of it.

Otherwise, people will just work from home to the maximum amount allowed by their employer - which is around 50% of the time (minimum).

So footfall and travel into London will be permanently 50% down. And that's a conservative estimate.

• Agree 6

City of London plans 1,500 new homes for post-pandemic recovery

Vacant office conversions and boost for cultural and creative industries among proposals

https://www.ft.com/content/c59d4058-3ec3-4b94-b459-be92e71a91ff

Yeah. Fuck that. After 7pm the city is dull as shit.

Never just one negative thing at play. Current list are -

- Death of the finsec. The boom period after bigbang (86) ended in 2008).

- Automation. Open outcry is long dead. Finance isnt moving to Paris, its moved to AMD64.

- Housing costs. A 150k gets you fuck all in London. What the upside? Then theres chooling - 

- 3rd world shitification of London. even the most liberal person cannot deny that 50% of London is now low skilled foreign  bennie scum

• Agree 1

Popuplights
1 hour ago, spygirl said:

Vacant office conversions and boost for cultural and creative industries among proposals

- Automation. Open outcry is long dead. Finance isnt moving to Paris, its moved to AMD64.

- Housing costs. A 150k gets you fuck all in London. What the upside? Then theres chooling - 

- 3rd world shitification of London. even the most liberal person cannot deny that 50% of London is now low skilled foreign  bennie scum

You make it sound soooo attractive!

• Lol 1

goldbug9999
On 02/03/2021 at 23:45, stokiescum said:

I can’t get the X out of my house im

wondering how to say can you fuck off 2 nights a week so I can get some whores around .

Threesome ?.

Austin Allegro
2 hours ago, spygirl said:

They don't seem to understand that you can only boost 'cultural and creative industries' by making cheap property accessible to artists etc, as happened in Berlin. You can't do it somewhere where a bedsit in Stabsville SW69 costs half a million quid. Most artists would be better off moving to Mogadishu.

• Lol 3

Frank Hovis
2 hours ago, spygirl said:

I used to live there and that was part of the appeal.  You pretty much had it to yourself on summer evenings and weekends.

Wandering around the old buildings, churches and churchyards of a Sunday was akin to having your own personal museum of architecture.  There was simply no traffic in a Sunday and barely any on a Saturday.

• Agree 3
  • Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

They don't seem to understand that you can only boost 'cultural and creative industries' by making cheap property accessible to artists etc, as happened in Berlin. You can't do it somewhere where a bedsit in Stabsville SW69 costs half a million quid. Most artists would be better off moving to Mogadishu.

It wont be cheap.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I used to live there and that was part of the appeal.  You pretty much had it to yourself on summer evenings and weekends.

Wandering around the old buildings, churches and churchyards of a Sunday was akin to having your own personal museum of architecture.  There was simply no traffic in a Sunday and barely any on a Saturday.

Horses n courses.

Its not that far away from Soho.

Id scoff when hearing someone whinge aotu being way away.

Monument to CharingX is less than I walk back from out of town.

And theres food and what not to grab on the way.

• Agree 1

Frank Hovis
20 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Horses n courses.

Its not that far away from Soho.

Id scoff when hearing someone whinge aotu being way away.

Monument to CharingX is less than I walk back from out of town.

And theres food and what not to grab on the way.

I used to walk back from Leicester Square or Tottenham Court Road on a Friday or Saturday night.

I didn't really like Soho and only went there two or three times.  A couple of mates who were up one time were rather unimpressed when I failed to find it one time.

• Lol 2

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I used to walk back from Leicester Square or Tottenham Court Road on a Friday or Saturday night.

I didn't really like Soho and only went there two or three times.  A couple of mates who were up one time were rather unimpressed when I failed to find it one time.

I've got to admit I've no idea where Soho is, couldn't pick it out on a map. Is it off the back of Oxford Street? I did have a vague idea of visiting the transport bookshop there last time I was in London (2013!) but it got pushed out due to other commitments. I think it has closed now.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, eight said:

I've got to admit I've no idea where Soho is, couldn't pick it out on a map. Is it off the back of Oxford Street? I did have a vague idea of visiting the transport bookshop there last time I was in London (2013!) but it got pushed out due to other commitments. I think it has closed now.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/the+city/@51.5129718,-0.1329398,16.3z

• Cheers 1

Yadda yadda yadda
Just now, eight said:

South of the eastern end of Oxford Street. Or west of Charing Cross Road. It is a bit warren-like so if you're looking for a particular place you need to know your way round.

• Informative 1

Frank Hovis
Just now, eight said:

I still genuinely don't know.  Whilst I usually walked everywhere having already missed Soho once I noted that for Soho there was a tube station so that's where I would head if I wanted to go there.

I'm also a bit clueless about the academic zone south of Euston and have gone badly wrong there a couple of times.

Austin Allegro
13 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It's a bit like Covent Garden, people go there because everybody else does, without really knowing why. Mostly over-priced poncey bars and gentlemen of a certain persuasion posing.

I much prefer Fitzrovia, Bloomsbury and Clerkenwell which always seem to have lots of interesting old fashioned shops and pubs, some of them still miraculously patronised by working class Londoners, but without the stabby feel of anywhere with an 'E' in the postcode. 

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

13 minutes ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

South of the eastern end of Oxford Street. Or west of Charing Cross Road. It is a bit warren-like so if you're looking for a particular place you need to know your way round.

I used to know Soho very well.  Had a real buzz about it.  Loved the Ronnie Scotts.

All gone now, in terms of enjoyability I fear.

52 minutes ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

Or be sober.

38 minutes ago, wherebee said:

I used to know Soho very well.  Had a real buzz about it.  Loved the Ronnie Scotts.

All gone now, in terms of enjoyability I fear.

A work mate was a member of a gentlemans club - the private not the titty kind.

It wasnt a posh one.

I asked why he was, when there was so many bars and pubs around.

I sort of saw his point when the pub was invaded by loads of tourists.

Soho/West End is the only place I go to know that, on a good night, reminds me of my first yearat Uni - going from not really going out much as a I was broke, to suddenly be surrounded by reasonably happy people, drinking and chatting esp. young women.

• Agree 1

The Generation Game
1 hour ago, eight said:

Find Chinatown and head north. 

• Agree 1

Popuplights
6 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

much prefer Fitzrovia, Bloomsbury and Clerkenwell which always seem to have lots of interesting old fashioned shops and pubs, some of them still miraculously patronised by working class Londoners, but without the stabby feel of anywhere with an 'E' in the postcode. 

My daughter is just moving up to Stratford, but I am staying in her new flat for a few days in May. I love to seek out old pubs with nice glass and Victorian mirrors