DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Death Of London

spygirl

Hail the Tripod
3 hours ago, spygirl said:

Looks like a much nicer place to live suddenly.

• Agree 5

Farage: "Congratulations Prime Minister and your experts, you have caused the first evacuation of London since 1939.", Video of the masses fleeing via St Pancreas :(

Totally expected / unintended consequences? Only if you are incapable of basic joined-up thinking, and are so detached from reality that you can't guess how the public masses will react if you announce Christmas is cancelled and they will not be able to leave their designated zone after midnight :/ For anyone else - the exodus was pretty much a certainty o.O

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, spygirl said:

Tbf, more and more people on public transport are tourists and foreign students.  Fucking rammed with them. 

Hail the Tripod
14 minutes ago, Andersen said:

Farage: "Congratulations Prime Minister and your experts, you have caused the first evacuation of London since 1939.", Video of the masses fleeing via St Pancreas :(

Totally expected / unintended consequences? Only if you are incapable of basic joined-up thinking, and are so detached from reality that you can't guess how the public masses will react if you announce Christmas is cancelled and they will not be able to leave their designated zone after midnight :/ For anyone else - the exodus was pretty much a certainty o.O

Friday evening of the weekend before Christmas, it was always going to be rammed.

3 minutes ago, mooncat69 said:

Christ on a bike! London is completely fucked.

central London yes, but here in zone 2 suburbs streets are just as busy with all the supermarkets, food shops, pound junk stores, takeaways all open.

• Agree 1

Dorset and the south must welcome migration from London and beyond, Regeneration South conference hears

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/18965004.amp/

These areas have still not digested the London scum dropped on them in the late 80s.

The oaps riddling the area are mainly from London/SE.

“But in trying to keep up, we would end up with the economically active people here having to work twice as hard to contribute to growth and avoid being left behind.”

He urged people to see the situation as a “golden opportunity”.

“We could wake up and create a vision of planned coordinated growth and then market the Central South on the world stage to start telling Londoners, the wider UK and an international audience about everything our region has to offer – using new economically active people to drive growth and continued competitive advantage,” he added.

I like his use of economically active. The Dorset area is all low paid, make work stuff.

I think hes expecting a load of London council scum to inject new e economic vigour....

• Lol 1

9 hours ago, spygirl said:

Dorset and the south must welcome migration from London and beyond, Regeneration South conference hears

These areas have still not digested the London scum dropped on them in the late 80s.

“But in trying to keep up, we would end up with the economically active people here having to work twice as hard to contribute to growth and avoid being left behind.”

“We could wake up and create a vision of planned coordinated growth and then market the Central South on the world stage to start telling Londoners, the wider UK and an international audience about everything our region has to offer – using new economically active people to drive growth and continued competitive advantage,” he added.

I like his use of economically active. The Dorset area is all low paid, make work stuff.

I think hes expecting a load of London council scum to inject new e economic vigour....

Must.

IMO 'Must' when used by politicians means something different than when used by everyone else.

I'd say 'Must?  Why?  There benefit is unclear (there's probably none) and there appears to be lots of potential (and likely) risks'

[It is like all those places where they've told the staff that they 'have to embrace change'.  Any dissent is responded with 'they're just people that dislike change, etc etc etc'.  But their change always turns out to be to the disadvantage of the incumbent workers.]

• Agree 3

On 24/12/2020 at 11:41, spygirl said:

It’s a shame but a lot of places have changed for the worse over the last 20 years however the newly formed BCP is now too popular for its own good and becoming like the Greater London commuter belt. I would now choose South Devon over this part of Dorset any day.

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
Chewing Grass
2 minutes ago, Errol said:

I think that is/will be the same in my biz, office overheads are huge, strip a good chunk of them out and you become a lot more competitive on price. Saw the numbers somewhere and I think the overhead cost was somewhere between £8-12/hr I will see if I can find the numbers tomorrow.

16 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

I think that is/will be the same in my biz, office overheads are huge, strip a good chunk of them out and you become a lot more competitive on price. Saw the numbers somewhere and I think the overhead cost was somewhere between £8-12/hr I will see if I can find the numbers tomorrow.

In the late 90s internet boom a met was working for a 'tech' firm in London.

Went down to ~20% of the staff.

Their biggest cost was the office which some fucking idiot had signed up for a 10 years lease in ~98.

All profits/earnings went to the LL.

My mate left in 2001 when it became obvious what had happened.

On 16/12/2020 at 10:45, MrLibertyRedux said:

You have my sincerest sympathies.

Hang on in there. Look on the brightside, you can't punch anyone in a virtual meeting.

Tell that to the wife. 👊🏾

• Lol 2

On 15/09/2020 at 12:53, spygirl said:

Technically, they could have moved 20 years ago.

However the management are heavily vested in the current warm bodies.

Just look how long various exchanges have moved from open outcry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_outcry

And thats all folks

LME moves to permanently close historic ‘Ring’ metals trading floor

Decision comes after exchange operator switched to electronic trading as pandemic hit

https://www.ft.com/content/553f3ff0-c74c-4193-b031-02485075b182

The London Metal Exchange is set to propose permanently shutting its Ring, where metals have been traded since its founding in 1877, a move that would mark the end of in-person trading of commodities in Europe.

b9eecb0b-4930-4a29-b53d-30fcc677b328.jpg

• Informative 3

What London’s falling population means for the housing market

An estimated 700,000 foreign-born residents have left the city since the Covid-19 outbreak — how will this affect rental and sale prices?

https://www.ft.com/content/517ff59b-16a4-4412-9798-d06268771797

For the first time in 30 years, London’s population is falling. Coronavirus has stemmed the flow of migrants into the capital and created new reasons for residents to depart. Since the outbreak of the pandemic, almost 700,000 foreign-born residents may have left the city, according to one estimate by the government-funded Economic Statistics Centre of Excellence (ESCoE).

This pretty much tallies up with the death of UK FinSec as a large, high paying employer, mainly centred in London/SE.

London pop was falling from end of WW2  ril the mid/early 80s.

Into 10m -+- 2m EUers ..

The loss — which at that level would be equal to about 8 per cent of London’s population — is already being felt in the city’s property market. Rental prices in inner London have fallen sharply since the start of the pandemic, and the number of property sales in the capital’s prime, central areas has dropped as international buyers have been kept away.

It would - if the UK had an accurate record of the number of EU and shitholers in the country.

Exodus leaves rentals reeling

Teresa Gottein Martínez left London for Spain in February, when the severity of coronavirus started to become clear. “I and many people I know went back to our home countries during Covid, be it to be in lockdown with family rather than alone, or to save money on rent,” says the 24-year old freelance writer. Some leavers — including Martínez herself — have since returned, drawn by work or the pull of a city which, despite being diminished, remains home. 

3d33af40-5b2f-11eb-b36d-3f3dd2b51ff6-sta

Top rated comments:

Our experience as an employer in the hospitality sector is that a large minority of our staff took the furlough money and left the UK to go ‘home’. We were unaware until we called them up to work.
thumb_upRecommend54replyReply
shareShare
A dialog showing a permalink to the comment
flagReport
remove
Four Legs Good
A popover with more user information
3 HOURS AGO

reply In reply to Apparently useless at everything
Sounds like another good use of taxpayers’ money.
thumb_upRecommend16replyReply
shareShare
flagReport

remove
raskoblomov
3 HOURS AGO

Who would blame them. Management of this pandemic has been chaotic since Boris Johnson’s original sin in March 2020: “we must let the virus flown through society, there will be blood”
thumb_upRecommend28replyReply
shareShare
flagReport

remove
Lucky Monkey
2 HOURS AGO

Similar case here. And when I saw how HMG as not/ mis managed the second/ third wave, I thought they were not as daft after all
thumb_upRecommend4replyReply
shareShare
flagReport

remove
Sent from my Retirement
2 HOURS AGO

Casual employment makes casual employees.
thumb_upRecommend47replyReply
shareShare
flagReport

remove
David
32 MINUTES AGO

I’ve found this happening as well. My Norwegian friend was furloughed April 2020 and is still furloughed to this day. He returned home May 2020 and has since got a job there. He is now ‘working’ two jobs.

It’s hard to condone, but I can see how this has happened with government mismanagement. As he says “It shouldn’t just be friends of the Tory party benefiting financially”.

They too the furlough, the TCs, the CB and fucked off.

My most nervous colleagues at the moment are the ones with buy-to-let rentals in London.
Their fear is outstripping their greed at this point.
  • Agree 3
  • Informative 3

Back of the envolope maths says prices are running at least 40% over a point where you could consider there to be value - a decent one bed flat should cost around £600k, not £1m+.

Fingers crossed the gov doesn't meddle in the creative destruction of the BTLers, unlikely though, housing is the only wealth this country has left. 
  • Agree 1
  • Lol 1