DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Death Of London

spygirl

Hail the Tripod
3 minutes ago, Option5 said:

So, you live in Brighton and your office is in London but you can work from home. £5109 for an annual season ticket?

I'd be negotiating a deal with the boss to work from home all the time. Even if you drop your salary by £5k you're still better off in every way.

Not really because they’ll decide some minimum wager in India could do cheaper. Doesn’t really matter whether they actually can or not.

Chewing Grass
1 minute ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Not really because they’ll decide some minimum wager in India could do cheaper. Doesn’t really matter whether they actually can or not.

If your in the business of 'bums on seats' it doesn't matter where you get you bums from.

13 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

If your in the business of 'bums on seats' it doesn't matter where you get you bums from.

I've worked at a few places who tried offshoring, all but one has brought the jobs back to the UK.

• Agree 4

18 minutes ago, Option5 said:

So, you live in Brighton and your office is in London but you can work from home. £5109 for an annual season ticket?

I'd be negotiating a deal with the boss to work from home all the time. Even if you drop your salary by £5k you're still better off in every way.

That seemed 5k was low.

After eventually get one ofthe rail sites to work, it came back with 4200.

However ..

No parking at the station.

No tube.

Talking to mate a few years ago, he was paying ~8k, commuting about ~100 miles West.

He did not need parking but did need tube.

Thats abut ~15k of his pre tax salary.

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

14 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Just now, Option5 said:

I've worked at a few places who tried offshoring, all but one has brought the jobs back to the UK.

Ive given up responding to people who think they can outsource any task that isnt cleaning or another low skilled, lwo hour job.

Doesnt matter if its Capita in the UK or a big (TCS) or small Indian outsource employing 'Dave' and 'Kevin'

Go ahead.

I have a special rate for digging orgs out of the mess.

I cant help you with any legal fallout though, so Id recommend you have a close look at data protection and any IP.

• Agree 4

Hail the Tripod
33 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Not to the same person as had it before though. 

I’ve seen plenty of roles go overseas, and in almost every case it’s been either a short term disaster or a long term disaster. Keeps happening though, and people keep losing their jobs to it.

• Agree 3

Let me leave this here.

It may be from one of the UK's largest and wokest financial organisations. It may be the day rate costs for one of their largest IT type / transformation / change divisions. 

It may show that onshoring via the likes of Infosys etc actually costs MORE than their full time UK permanent employees cost. 

Which may make you ask yourself - why would they do this as it's all meant to do with cost saving .....9_9

IMG_20200206_111539946.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Informative 4

1 hour ago, Hail the Tripod said:

This Exactly. My soon to be ex-employer Exxon have decided to go full tilt to start offshoring engineering technology support to India. Expensive white people wanting to WFH forever are facilitating their own redundancy. The company has an acronym for the process How and Where We Work, or HW3 for short. 

I'm actually thinking that I will be lucky to leave in the first wave of redundancies.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

The fashionable phrase for consultancies these days seems to be ‘Digital Transformation’.

No doubt lots of money will be made in the actual or attempted destruction of UK jobs via these ‘transformation’ projects. And a lot of awful software put in place.

Edited by JoeDavola
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Popuplights said:

This Exactly. My soon to be ex-employer Exxon have decided to go full tilt to start offshoring engineering technology support to India. Expensive white people wanting to WFH forever are facilitating their own redundancy. The company has an acronym for the process How and Where We Work, or HW3 for short. 

I'm actually thinking that I will be lucky to leave in the first wave of redundancies.

Make sure you go round all the management type/remaining employees you deal with, invite them for going away drinks.

That bag of crisps and pint - or non alcoholic option - could be one of the best investments ever.

The oil industry is behaving like oil industry always does - pissing money away.

The reality that theres no such thing as a cheap worker Indian worker is going to hit them between between the chops.

Every other sector has learnt this.

• Agree 2

MrLibertyRedux
22 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

The fashionable phrase for consultancies these days seems to be ‘Digital Transformation’.

No doubt lots of money will be made in the actual or attempted destruction of UK jobs via these ‘transformation’ projects. And a lot of awful software put in place.

The Cloud: The Sequel

"Digital Transformation, Digital Transformation, Digital Transformation, Transforming, Digital, Digital, Transformation,  Transformation"

The problem I have in this life is that I never seem to have plastic explosive when I need it.

How I survived in my last place as long as I did without punching someone remains a mystery to me.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1
  • Cheers 1

stop_the_craziness
1 hour ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

"Digital Transformation, Digital Transformation, Digital Transformation, Transforming, Digital, Digital, Transformation,  Transformation"

The problem I have in this life is that I never seem to have plastic explosive when I need it.

How I survived in my last place as long as I did without punching someone remains a mystery to me.

I am currently hiding (on mute) from a digital transformation meeting this very second.  Otherwise my soul is going to die a little bit more than it already has.

WHY won't anybody just let me do my actual job?  I'm really rather good at it when I get the time.

Edited by stop_the_craziness
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 1

MrLibertyRedux
1 minute ago, stop_the_craziness said:

I am currently hiding (on mute) from a digital transformation meeting this very second.  Otherwise my soul is going to die a little bit more than it already has.

WHY won't anybody just let me do my actual job?  I'm really rather good at it when I get the time.

You have my sincerest sympathies.

Hang on in there. Look on the brightside, you can't punch anyone in a virtual meeting.

• Lol 1

stop_the_craziness
3 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

You have my sincerest sympathies.

Hang on in there. Look on the brightside, you can't punch anyone in a virtual meeting.

And I don't have to control my facial expressions either, like I do in a real meeting.

• Lol 3

22 minutes ago, stop_the_craziness said:

:D

I have had to do the exact same thing this year!

Is the real pandemic of 2020 digital transformation?

Although thankfully the areas of the business I work for don't actually want it (and with justification because what is being proposed offers little benefit to them but brings a significant amount of risk), so after some hassle I am now working on my 'original' job full time again.

There's going to be an absolute fortune spent on it, but it's quite something to see someone on a meeting try and sell an idea to a large department and it's quite clear nobody really wants it but they're too polite to say anything in case it flags them up to do any extra work. "Maybe if I keep quiet he'll leave me alone"

Edited by JoeDavola
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

Oh, but you can troll them.

Chair - OK, has anyone got any feedback on plan?

You - Maybe we could look at using robots for certain?

They are going to have to take it serious as robots are 'in'. If they poo poo it theyll look like technophobe idiots, yesterday man - or woman.

Once you are established as the 'go to person' for 'the future!!!' then you can start the real fun.

You can then leave you computer on a recruitment page.

• Lol 2

5 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

The crazy thing is, doing a good job isn't enough anymore. You have to play to the crowd, join the LGBTQ+++ support group, wear a rainbow lanyard, basically be something you are not. Probably why I got picked for redunancy!!!

• Agree 7

A tremendous # on the lung
5 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

I was in that meeting too. Doing the same thing

• Cheers 1

stop_the_craziness
1 hour ago, Popuplights said:

The crazy thing is, doing a good job isn't enough anymore. You have to play to the crowd, join the LGBTQ+++ support group, wear a rainbow lanyard, basically be something you are not. Probably why I got picked for redundancy!!!

Recent events at my workplace have hammered this home to me like never before.  I'd go even further and say that they seem to actively prefer people who are less good at their job, but more into the other stuff.   

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, spygirl said:

Happy Fucking New Year from the rail unions and rail industry, you cunts.

Rail fares will rise more than expected next year - although the new inflation-busting 2.6% increase is being delayed until 1 March.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55323345

Now that we know that most rail commuters can work from homes, it time they sacked everyone working in rail and got them to reapply for their jobs half the money.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55323345

More typical.

In comparison, back in 1997, Mr Nesbit's season ticket cost £3,400, approximately 5% of his annual pay.

"This continual uplift of rail fares is absurd, there really needs to be a complete rethink regarding rail travel in the UK," Mr Nesbit told the BBC.

"When I first started travelling into work it was costing me £3,400 per annum and now it is £15,400 per annum to buy my ticket today.

Rugby is under 100 miles away.

Bet it takes over 3h of his day too, daft sod.

Thinking of driving in ... yeah right. If you think tye train is slow n expensive just wait til you sit in traffic fir hours then get gouged on parking.

_116094653_optimised-railfares-nc.png

19 hours ago, Popuplights said:

The crazy thing is, doing a good job isn't enough anymore. You have to play to the crowd, join the LGBTQ+++ support group, wear a rainbow lanyard, basically be something you are not. Probably why I got picked for redunancy!!!

Ain't that the truth. 

Latest one at our place is the menopause. There was actually a meeting put in to discuss the impact of the menopause on women's careers

Has anyone ever thought that most people just want to go to work, do their job, have a laugh and NOT talk about bodily functions. 

I suggested to my mate that when they start talking about lactation we should ask for practical demonstrations. 

I do think it's a reflection of an increasing numbers of women in leadership. Women want to talk about everything. 

• Agree 4
  • Lol 1

Yadda yadda yadda
8 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

BTW... If you're in meetings talking about digital transformation then your company is stuck in the dark ages. 

The new big shiny is 'digital twinning' 

Fuck is that? Sounds like a sexual practice for those that can pull a pair of twins. Niche.

• Lol 1