DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Death Of London

spygirl

2 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

No. But they do need a reasonable size home to work from.

Which are mainly owned by the retired.

If you have access to a London weighting / typical career job then money not so much of a blocker, especially if buying out in the sticks due to being able to largely WFH.

4 hours ago, Stuey said:

I can definitely see ice cream vans being replaced by hot food vans going around estates. Just simple stuff needed, vats of chilli and rice etc. Micropubs should continue to proliferate too.

Veals on Wheels.

Chewing Grass

anyway, browsing the traffic cameras of London seems to indicate that >50% of the traffic and 90% of the shoppers/tourists have fucked the place off.

In fact the only slowing down of traffic is mostly engineered by cones and roadworks, TfL are in reality no longer required.

https://www.tfljamcams.net/

• Informative 1

I wonder if it will turn into a vicious cycle. The loss of money for TFL means they have to ask the Government for money. Government has said - raise ticket prices, add on an element to council tax and expand the congestion/emissions zone to the North/South Circular and charge all cars to drive within this area per day (I think it's £15).

If TFL/Khan brings this in it will push even more people to leave London, their revenue falls further and they have to implement more money making scams schemes, ergo only the very rich and benefit class can afford to remain in London. Decline of London becomes more entrenched...

Edited by HolyCow
  • Agree 6

3 hours ago, HolyCow said:

I wonder if it will turn into a vicious cycle. The loss of money for TFL means they have to ask the Government for money. Government has said - raise ticket prices, add on an element to council tax and expand the congestion/emissions zone to the North/South Circular and charge all cars to drive within this area per day (I think it's £15).

If TFL/Khan brings this in it will push even more people to leave London, their revenue falls further and they have to implement more money making scams schemes, ergo only the very rich and benefit class can afford to remain in London. Decline of London becomes more entrenched...

It is going to be a tough ask for the general public to further  fund cheap London travel (with the highest salaries) which outside the capital costs vastly more for a far worse service.

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, onlyme said:

It is going to be a tough ask for the general public to further  fund cheap London travel (with the highest salaries) which outside the capital costs vastly more for a far worse service.

It's going to be an even bigger ask to get Londoners who have lost their jobs to pay more council tax to fund subsidised travel for those who have never worked but live in London.

Edit to say that any extra council tax element for TFL will only be charged to those living in London, hence why people will leave London for apparently cheaper council tax (and everything else).

Edited by HolyCow
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, HolyCow said:

Edit to say that any extra council tax element for TFL will only be charged to those living in London, hence why people will leave London for apparently cheaper council tax (and everything else).

Doubt it. One of the biggest moans down here from ex-londoners is just how high our council tax is.

Band H here - £3,931

Band H in Wimbledon - £2,826.

That is an easy £1k grab per household TFL could go for.

(And our band H is almost exactly the same in Surrey)

3 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Doubt it. One of the biggest moans down here from ex-londoners is just how high our council tax is.

Band H here - £3,931

Band H in Wimbledon - £2,826.

That is an easy £1k grab per household TFL could go for.

(And our band H is almost exactly the same in Surrey)

True but the extra council tax element that will be added for TFL if the Government get their way will only be added to the CT bills of those within London (I guess the main London boroughs) so may end up being higher than elsewhere with higher housing costs too. 

1 hour ago, HolyCow said:

It's going to be an even bigger ask to get Londoners who have lost their jobs to pay more council tax to fund subsidised travel for those who have never worked but live in London.

Doesn't Westminster have some of the lowest council taxes in the country? Never mind the issue of banding and relative pricing, a house in the sticks can have a high rateable band be worth a few hundred And pay the same or more council tax than properties in London valued at millions, owned increasingly by absentee foreign owners.  

18 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Doesn't Westminster have some of the lowest council taxes in the country? Never mind the issue of banding and relative pricing, a house in the sticks can have a high rateable band be worth a few hundred And pay the same or more council tax than properties in London valued at millions, owned increasingly by absentee foreign owners.  

Yep.

It is farcical.

Picture a £136.4 million penthouse apartment in London’s Knightsbridge. The service fees alone are more than £3,000 a week and it’s no more than a five-minute walk to the famous Harrods department store. 

Now consider a three-bedroom semi in rural Wiltshire, on the market for £335,000.

Its driveway can accommodate two cars and it boasts a modest garden. It may seem hard to believe, but the owner of the penthouse - Rinat Akhmetov, who happens to be Ukraine’s richest man - will pay £344 a year less in council tax (at £1,376) than a family moving to Wiltshire (who will pay £1,720). 

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-5105459/How-super-rich-London-pay-council-tax.html

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yep.

It is farcical.

Picture a £136.4 million penthouse apartment in London’s Knightsbridge. The service fees alone are more than £3,000 a week and it’s no more than a five-minute walk to the famous Harrods department store. 

Now consider a three-bedroom semi in rural Wiltshire, on the market for £335,000.

Its driveway can accommodate two cars and it boasts a modest garden. It may seem hard to believe, but the owner of the penthouse - Rinat Akhmetov, who happens to be Ukraine’s richest man - will pay £344 a year less in council tax (at £1,376) than a family moving to Wiltshire (who will pay £1,720). 

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-5105459/How-super-rich-London-pay-council-tax.html

Don;t remind me, paid under £300K for house in 2013 and have rates of nearly £2500.

• Agree 4

23 hours ago, onlyme said:

Don;t remind me, paid under £300K for house in 2013 and have rates of nearly £2500.

Bet you feel all warm and fuzzy funding the pension of a council worker who gets to retire at 50. 

• Agree 6

On 29/10/2020 at 21:01, HolyCow said:

I was up in Bury At Edmunds yesterday and came back down the M11 in the mud afternoon. I was astounded by the Amoy if traffic coming out from London. Given that a lot of people are either not working or working from home, there must be very few using the commuter trains. Not really surprising as commuter trains and the tube really must be the greatest spreaders of Corona and anything else that spreads person to person.

• Agree 2

51 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

I was up in Bury At Edmunds yesterday and came back down the M11 in the mud afternoon. I was astounded by the Amoy if traffic coming out from London.

You are Ronnie Barker AICMFP

• Agree 1
  • Lol 2

14 hours ago, Rare Bear said:

I was up in Bury At Edmunds yesterday and came back down the M11 in the mud afternoon. I was astounded by the Amoy if traffic coming out from London. Given that a lot of people are either not working or working from home, there must be very few using the commuter trains. Not really surprising as commuter trains and the tube really must be the greatest spreaders of Corona and anything else that spreads person to person.

Did you not bring us any black pudding back?

Oh wrong Bury..

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Rare Bear said:

Now I'm going to have to find out what an Amoy is.😀

traffic consisted of soy boys escaping the tory tyranny

• Lol 1

6 hours ago, Stuey said:

Did you not bring us any black pudding back?

Oh wrong Bury..

I'm told that the best black pudding comes from Stornoway.

At least that's what a Scottish guy running a b&b in Donegal told me.

4 hours ago, ashestoashes said:

traffic consisted of soy boys escaping the tory tyranny

I was wondering if it might have been muzzers leaving the protest at the French embassy.

• Informative 1

On 27/10/2020 at 07:18, Wight Flight said:

No. But they do need a reasonable size home to work from.

Which are mainly owned by the retired.

Yes. And companies need to have done some due diligence to make sure staff have got a desk and chair. And that's where it'll all go wrong because there's not enough desk space in most houses.

• Agree 1

On 01/11/2020 at 11:31, Rare Bear said:

I'm told that the best black pudding comes from Stornoway.

At least that's what a Scottish guy running a b&b in Donegal told me.

It is, far superior to most other black puddings. Don't work for the client any more but pre-covid I regularly visited Glasgow and I'd always bring a few back.

That said Bury back pudding is the best of the rest.