DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 5)

spunko

2 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Most "career" women. Who ironically are performing neither their 'professional' job or their job as a parent well.

But its beter for the economy that way.

I dont know if that applies to all. Times are generally hard and 2 incomes are quite the norm these days especially if you live in SE and want to be able to provide well for your family.

I earn a lot more than my wife but her extra income certainly helps. Our kids are in nursery (new one will once hes over 1 but only 3 half days) but it gives my wife a mental break, which in turn helps me and we really put a shift in with the time we get with our kids. My 4 year old is already dong basic algebra and divisions etc. My wife gets a lot of the credit too.

It's the quality time that matters, plus since my eldest went nursery we saw dramatic improvements in his confidence. If you dump them in nursery full time and spend no quality time with them then i get the argument.

Edited by Sidd
  • Agree 9
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Sidd said:

I dont know if that applies to all.

Well I did say most. And I know that it's basically impossible to run a household on one income now, it's shit.

I just know from various women I've worked with once they have kids they dont really give a shit about work any more.

So you have a less productive/interested worker and an absent (to a degree) mother.

It's not their fault as such, it's the system that's been set up for the benefit of 'the economy'.

I'd prefer a setup where either parent could be there for their child for say the first 5 years without completely nuking their career, or both parents could go part time and share that responsibility. Won't happen though.

• Agree 9

17 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Well I did say most. And I know that it's basically impossible to run a household on one income now, it's shit.

I just know from various women I've worked with once they have kids they dont really give a shit about work any more.

So you have a less productive/interested worker and an absent (to a degree) mother.

It's not their fault as such, it's the system that's been set up for the benefit of 'the economy'.

I'd prefer a setup where either parent could be there for their child for say the first 5 years without completely nuking their career, or both parents could go part time and share that responsibility. Won't happen though.

Fully agree. Ideally i would love for one of us to be full time parents with ample resources to maximise their potential. Heck i would happily be a stay at home dad if she were the bread winner and we laugh about it all the time. One benefit of covid though is i wfh a lot more so have spent loads of extra time with my kids. I am lucky in that way. Also the system has failed people but i also do think a lot of mothers are too busy on their smart phone apps all day and consumed by wordly things to be bothered to take their little one for a walk down to the library or to the park. Most were not ready to be parents.

Edited by Sidd
  • Agree 4
  • Cheers 1

belfastchild
40 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It may all be art and have some value but art is very much unequal in worth and value.

And we all assign different worth and value to different art. I wouldnt touch your half shark and cant afford a damien hirst (well I can, just not one of his main pieces). https://www.artsy.net/artwork/damien-hirst-fig-dot-4-saint-bartholomew

You may say that suit has no value and the story is made up but every day people post made up stuff here as the truth (they may well believe it or want to believe it themselves). Thats your opinion. In the opinion of the curator who hung it in the tate, it did have value. By the 'mere' act of hanging it in the tate it then goes up the value chain. Its also listed on moma and no doubt 99 other galleries around the world ;-)

The more controversy the better but lets take the 100 suits, all it takes is 100 people (or much much less) out of 4 billion to fall for the story, accept the story, think 'this will go up in value' or I want one of those hanging in my house etc etc.
The rest of the 4 billion that like it but cant afford it will go down the list of other works or prints of the works and get those instead - 'oh thats the same as the german guy with the felt suits, this is much better' etc etc.

Being around artists has taught me a lot, a hell of  alot more than if Id stayed hanging around engineers 'thats right' 'thats wrong' 'dont like that' 'has no merit as its a tent with pictures in it' etc etc.

Ive seen the mona lisa up close (well behind bulletproof glass). Thought 'what the fuck is all the fuss about?'. Saw Starry Night in MoMa and was fascinated by the brush strokes - 'mad bastard' thought I and would have that hanging in my living room!

• Agree 4
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, M S E Refugee said:

Beeching destroyed much of the Transport Network in the 60's.

So with a smaller network we should be able to run it more easily, but this is not the case.

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I would say that genuine art is about something valuable being created by someone with skill and talent who then puts a vast amount of their time into the piece.

Conceptual Art, your point about the expression / idea, is yes also art but the end product is poor.  When you have to weave a whole story around something in order to give it menaing and value then you have to do that because there is no value there.

Joseph Beuys made 100 identical "Filzanzugs" or felt suits.

AR00092_10.jpg

https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/beuys-felt-suit-ar00092

He claimed that the reason for making them was:

Beuys claimed he was rescued, barely alive, from the burning Stuka by Tatar nomads and swathed in fat and felt to resurrect him. It was a tale that explained not just his survival but his rebirth as a radical visionary out of the ashes of his youth in the Nazi era. The trouble was, it was a lie. Does that matter? Is it still a useful fable, part of his crazy vision, or should we suspect that his entire artistic output is similarly dishonest, or even that it is tainted by a past he never truly rejected or explained?

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2018/apr/16/joseph-beuys-utopia-at-the-stag-monuments-review-galerie-thaddaeus-ropac-london

As noted there: it was a lie.

Even if that lie was true what have we but one hundred grey felt suits that have not been finished - no buttons, hemmed trousers.

And if a buy a shark, slice it in a half, and put in a glass cabinet filled with formaldehyde I have done as much as Damien Hurst did.

I do not accept that the straightforward expression of artistic ideas has anything like the worth of a work by a genuinely skilled artist who has put so much effort into a piece.

If the Mona Lisa, for instance, had zero back story and the painter was unknown then it would still be a thing of beauty to hang upon the wall.

An unfinished grey felt suit would be down the charity shop, half a shark in a glass tank down the tip.

It may all be art and have some value but art is very much unequal in worth and value.

Love to carry on this one @FH but it's off topic for this thread; trying my best to be disciplined as previously I haven't!

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, belfastchild said:

And we all assign different worth and value to different art.

Based on that and your previous post, if you're interested in the concept of objective aesthetic judgement you may enjoy Scruton's The Aesthetic Understanding and Kant's Critique of Judgement. Both very convincing, very rewarding reads.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 2
  • Cheers 2

Wight Flight
15 minutes ago, Sidd said:

Fully agree. Ideally i would love for one of to be full time parents with ample resources to maximise their potential.

I did that.

It is one of the reasons I don't have any pension provision.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

Credit Suisse struggling...are we starting to see contagion moving from the US to Europe i.e. "The US sneezes and the world catches a cold"?...thought I would just leave this here:

The following is a timeline of the major events of the financial crisis, including government responses, and the subsequent economic recovery:

Edited by MrXxxx
  • Informative 5
  • Cheers 2

ashestoashes
18 minutes ago, DurhamBorn said:

Here comes Hunt trying to stave off systemic collapse, :D

£10m over next 10 years for suicide prevention

euthanasia to be legalised

• Lol 3

Noallegiance
4 minutes ago, dnb24 said:

Barclays shares have been halted - 7% down

Still trading on my screens. 8.5% down.

Just now, ashestoashes said:

euthanasia to be legalised

They've already been legalised to not stay in Asia.

• Informative 2
  • Lol 1