DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 5)

spunko

Just now, DurhamBorn said:

This is really to get in place a system so they can say to bennies,no excuse now you can work,there is the childcare for you.Might be in this budget,or later,but i suspect with 30 hours free childcare we are heading towards 25 hours to 30 hours being the minimum expected work before you dont have to attend the jobcentre.

The unleaked part of the budget is the welfare White Paper. Tax & pensions direction was already made clear in the last budget imo - and anyone hoping for a coherent plan or change in tack is going to be disappointed.

It's the bennies that matter this time round. Need to see the detail in that white paper.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

11 minutes ago, geordie_lurch said:

Things seem to be getting interesting in the EU :ph34r:

But all of the trash (principally crypto) is still trading up. That's sector rotation, not contagion.

As long as crypto is rallying this is all just newscycle guff.

If there's a liquidity problem the trash will get dumped first.

Edited by marceau
  • Agree 3
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 2

10 hours ago, AWW said:

F150 is copping a lot of shit, but he's right. The curtain is coming down on the age of private car ownership. The Ministry of Transport is on record stating that it believes that private vehicle ownership is of the 20th century and would prefer a move towards more flexible, shares, low-carbon personal transport. You can't add tens of millions to the population and maintain the same rate of private car usage on the same decrepit roads. The only options when you're not building new infrastructure is to reduce usage or time shift some of it.

Would be happy [well accepting] of this if they provided the infrastructure, but travelling by Public Transport in the UK is getting worse and worse; akin to some Developing countries, especially in comparison to most Northern European countries.

• Agree 7

Red Debt Redemption
13 hours ago, Loki said:

I might hire F150 on one of those cargo bike things they use in London and just boot him in the back the whole time

HURRY UP IT'S NEARLY 7.30AM WE'RE LATE

YES I KNOW IT'S HEAVY, SHOULD HAVE THOUGHT OF THAT SHOULDNTCHAAAAA....

I actually fancy a leccy one of those for the weekly shop. xD pricey when I could just use the car though.

• Agree 1

There was a funny graphic on the BBC showing that long-term sickness dwarfs the retiree bit, yet none of the mainstream media ever say it out loud.

I think the childcare think won't make much difference really. Some people are just too lazy and of course once the kids get old enough for school a lot of jobs simply isn't compatible with that routine. People will still decide it isn't worth their time because universal credit picks up the slack.

They are going to need sticks rather than carrots.

6b6a3888-b46f-4a2d-a65a-f06310a4dff4.png

• Agree 4
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, Errol said:

Who on earth puts a 1-2 yr old in care? These people shouldn't be having children if they can't be bothered to look after them.

Unfortunately we now have a society where people 'want their cake and eat it', and through the support systems provided by governments they do have to face the consequences of their actions/have to make a choice, with society having to pay the costs [both financial and societal] for their 'upkeep'. Children have now become a possession akin to a new car, the latest mobile phone, or a nice holiday...once attained/used via social media to garner status amongst  the 'consumers' peer group, they are forgotten about and discarded/no longer of interest.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Boon said:

There was a funny graphic on the BBC showing that long-term sickness dwarfs the retiree bit, yet none of the mainstream media ever say it out loud.

I think the childcare think won't make much difference really. Some people are just too lazy and of course once the kids get old enough for school a lot of jobs simply isn't compatible with that routine. People will still decide it isn't worth their time because universal credit picks up the slack.

They are going to need sticks rather than carrots.

6b6a3888-b46f-4a2d-a65a-f06310a4dff4.png

That chart is wrong, judging by this thread the amount of ordinary people 'discouraged' should be far higher xD

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I was discussing this in RL (I know!) the other day.

Modern art has little intrinsic value, as in it doesn't have the hundreds of hours spent creating a statue or top quality oil painting, but it does acquire and, much more importantly, retain an extrinsic value from the publicity and hype surrounding it.

Andy Warhol's art was amateurish but sells for a fortune owing to the publicity that he attracted in life. Contemporary examples of such are "Banksy" (Robin Gunningham), Tracey Emin and Damien Hurst.

Amateurish rubbish they may be but as they now have their place in the history of art they have and will retain value IMO.

Sorry @FH I disagree, and think this is very much the 'old school' thinking of art i.e. the painting has got to look like 'real life'/a photograph; if this is the case why not just take a photograph?. I am not saying that there is some rubbish out there; and people are being 'taken in', but art is about as much the expression/idea at its base as the quality of the technique use to express it. This said, I do believe any piece of art and the artist should be challenged on what they are purporting in their claims/justification for what they have created.

Edited by MrXxxx
  • Agree 4

M S E Refugee
25 minutes ago, MrXxxx said:

Would be happy [well accepting] of this if they provided the infrastructure, but travelling by Public Transport in the UK is getting worse and worse; akin to some Developing countries, especially in comparison to most Northern European countries.

Beeching destroyed much of the Transport Network in the 60's.

• Agree 5

40 minutes ago, DurhamBorn said:

This is really to get in place a system so they can say to bennies,no excuse now you can work,there is the childcare for you.Might be in this budget,or later,but i suspect with 30 hours free childcare we are heading towards 25 hours to 30 hours being the minimum expected work before you dont have to attend the jobcentre.

Funny enough it will suit me and the other half, she can go back to full time and I will take on another part time role, perhaps self employed work. For many although not all, it will be a bonus. Particularly with elderly parents not managing with childcare the same, we already pay for some childcare every week at the mo.

• Agree 1

HousePriceMania
44 minutes ago, geordie_lurch said:

Things seem to be getting interesting in the EU :ph34r: I'm down 10% from ATH now too but trying to hold tight to mainly oilies and EM shares :$

Gotta make sure the EU stop raising IRs too.

1 minute ago, F150 said:

FTSE looking good

I wish someone suggested selling up a couple of days ago

• Agree 1

HousePriceMania
53 minutes ago, dnb24 said:

SVB contagion into Europe?

BNP paribas trading halted.

societe generale also down 8%

84A8B484-CD09-41B3-B4EF-38F07250211F.png

90956B0C-C07C-4944-85F0-3CF16639AA7E.png

Let's not forget...

image.png.03a7658792d9dd81facaa984b070da60.png

• Agree 2
  • Love / Hugz 1

Frank Hovis
Just now, MrXxxx said:

Sorry @FH I disagree, and think this is very much the 'old school' thinking of art i.e. The painting has got to look like 'real life'/a photography; if this is the case why not just take a photograph?. I am not saying that there is some rubbish out there; and people are being 'taken in', but art is about as much the expression/idea at its base as the quality of the technique use to express it. This said, I do believe any piece of art and the artist should be challenged on what they are purporting in their claims/justification for what they have created.

I would say that genuine art is about something valuable being created by someone with skill and talent who then puts a vast amount of their time into the piece.

Conceptual Art, your point about the expression / idea, is yes also art but the end product is poor.  When you have to weave a whole story around something in order to give it menaing and value then you have to do that because there is no value there.

Joseph Beuys made 100 identical "Filzanzugs" or felt suits.

AR00092_10.jpg

https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/beuys-felt-suit-ar00092

He claimed that the reason for making them was:

Beuys claimed he was rescued, barely alive, from the burning Stuka by Tatar nomads and swathed in fat and felt to resurrect him. It was a tale that explained not just his survival but his rebirth as a radical visionary out of the ashes of his youth in the Nazi era. The trouble was, it was a lie. Does that matter? Is it still a useful fable, part of his crazy vision, or should we suspect that his entire artistic output is similarly dishonest, or even that it is tainted by a past he never truly rejected or explained?

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2018/apr/16/joseph-beuys-utopia-at-the-stag-monuments-review-galerie-thaddaeus-ropac-london

As noted there: it was a lie.

Even if that lie was true what have we but one hundred grey felt suits that have not been finished - no buttons, hemmed trousers.

And if a buy a shark, slice it in a half, and put in a glass cabinet filled with formaldehyde I have done as much as Damien Hurst did.

I do not accept that the straightforward expression of artistic ideas has anything like the worth of a work by a genuinely skilled artist who has put so much effort into a piece.

If the Mona Lisa, for instance, had zero back story and the painter was unknown then it would still be a thing of beauty to hang upon the wall.

An unfinished grey felt suit would be down the charity shop, half a shark in a glass tank down the tip.

It may all be art and have some value but art is very much unequal in worth and value.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

52 minutes ago, DurhamBorn said:

Surely there will be calls for it to be universal entitlement? Then can do nothing , or in pub whatever on benefits all day.and from when the child is very young. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, dnb24 said:

SVB contagion into Europe?

BNP paribas trading halted.

societe generale also down 8%

In our view, the crisis began in earnest 10 years ago this week. On August 9, 2007, BNP Paribas announced that, because their fund managers could not value the assets in three mutual funds, they were suspending redemptions.

https://www.moneyandbanking.com/commentary/2017/8/6/looking-back-the-financial-crisis-began-10-years-ago-this-week

Worth remembering today of all days.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 4

Noallegiance
1 hour ago, marceau said:

If there's a liquidity problem the trash will get dumped first.

Maybe it is!

FYI Credit Suisse trading halted down 20%

• Informative 3
  • Lol 3
  • Cheers 1