DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Systemic Collapse Watch - First Signs

Chewing Grass

1 hour ago, Loki said:

Roads are an absolute fucking disgrace everywhere (As in the UK)

I have a nightmare commute for the next two months for all the road closures for repairs.

and our roads are swept every couple of weeks.

the 1970s are still fine.

• Cheers 1

Bobthebuilder
1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

the 1970s are still fine.

Fucking hell, can you imagine, Star Wars in the cinema, and the Sex Pistols on the radio.

Oh and Don Mclean.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

working woman

Hmmmm, how about............... 

A reduction in the amount of rubbish people throw away.

As times get tough, people are less able to buy excess food and unecessary items.

I live in a block of flats - about 100 flats in the block. We have recycling bins plus 6 huge bins for general waste. 

The amount of waste is nuts. 

During the covid lockdowns, one person must have been ordering a couple of pizzas every day, because some weeks there were a stack of pizza boxes about 10 high. I used to call them "the leaning towers of pizza".

Another of my neighbours gets a supermarket delivery containing dozens of cans of beer, that end up filling most of the recycling bin.

We have just received,  for the first time, a food recycling bin with an accompanying letter from the local council sayng food waste accounts for 30% of all waste*. 

As a household, we have very little food waste as we do a weekly meal plan and food shop and any veg left at the end of the week goes into a stir fry or salad.

People do a lot of online ordering, resulting in numerous cardboard boxes being thrown away.

------------------------------------------------------------

* My husband read the letter and sent an email off to the council saying maybe they are paying out too much in benefits if people can afford to waste food. 

-------------------------------------------------------------

Also during lockdown, because the tips were not fully open, many houses had little stalls outside their front door with items such as books and toys for people to take away for free. 

Maybe people will do that again, maybe even charging for items.

Edited by working woman
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 4
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Fucking hell, can you imagine, Star Wars in the cinema, and the Sex Pistols on the radio.

Oh and Don Mclean.

You forgot Pans People / Legs & Co on the telly every Thursday :x

• Cheers 2

Having travelled a lot, one of the best indicators of whether a country is going down the shitter or is civilised that you can see without too much microinspection are.... airports.

If....

your plane departs on time

queues at check in desks and security are reasonable

boarding of the aircraft is organised

waiting areas are tidy, clean, and comfortable

passengers are treated with respect when weather delays and other problems happen

after busy periods, the airport remains safe to wait in

your luggage arrives at the conveyers rapidly and with minimal risk of theft

the taxis and public transport are affordable and organised

you are in a civilised country.

The US fell off this level about 25 years ago, and is truely third world in almost all international airports.  The UK fell off about 15 years ago.  Australia is almost off, but some airports are still civilised.  Ireland passes, just.  New Zealand passes.

Many European countries now fail.  Switzerland passes.

Many east asian countries pass - but China fails due to treatment of passengers when things go wrong

• Agree 1
  • Informative 4
  • Cheers 1

HousePriceMania
13 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Rubbish plus grass and weeds on the pavement and gutters is the thing I notice. Weekly bin collections now only happening at two weeks, remember those street cleaning lorries that used to clear the gutter drains? not seen one in years. Grass not being cut, it is happening, the whole shit show is starting to fall apart.

I find it quite depressing to be honest, almost inevitable.

Council now charging for green bin collection !!!

• Informative 1

HousePriceMania
11 hours ago, Loki said:

Roads are an absolute fucking disgrace everywhere (As in the UK)

This is true, I've banged a few pot holes recently and surprised not to have damaged my car.

These are on main dual carriage ways too.

if you install Wazes (sat nav app ) on your phone it does warn about pot holes so you have a chance !!!

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, wherebee said:

Having travelled a lot, one of the best indicators of whether a country is going down the shitter or is civilised that you can see without too much microinspection are.... airports.

If....

your plane departs on time

queues at check in desks and security are reasonable

boarding of the aircraft is organised

waiting areas are tidy, clean, and comfortable

passengers are treated with respect when weather delays and other problems happen

after busy periods, the airport remains safe to wait in

your luggage arrives at the conveyers rapidly and with minimal risk of theft

the taxis and public transport are affordable and organised

you are in a civilised country.

The US fell off this level about 25 years ago, and is truely third world in almost all international airports.  The UK fell off about 15 years ago.  Australia is almost off, but some airports are still civilised.  Ireland passes, just.  New Zealand passes.

Many European countries now fail.  Switzerland passes.

Many east asian countries pass - but China fails due to treatment of passengers when things go wrong

Huge difference arriving in airport in canaries last night and UK.

Off flight via sky bridge, automated passport control didn't work. After 5 people didnt get through, staff got all shuffled to police who put people through very quickly, got to baggage carousel and luggage was there. 3rd in queue for hire car. Between stepping off the plane and pulling out if the airport in hire car- 35 mins.

I've booked the car into the airport car park at home because I'm not guaranteed a taxi will be there when I get back. I'd need to get a bus into town past my house then a bus back home, total time roughly an hour if I get lucky with busses arriving. 2 if I'm not.

In Liverpool you have to get a bus to get the train, bus driver can't sell you a day pass for both.

Don't bother going near Heathrow, Gatwick or Stansted now, if it doesn't go from Dublin, I don't go.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, working woman said:

Hmmmm, how about............... 

A reduction in the amount of rubbish people throw away.

As times get tough, people are less able to buy excess food and unecessary items.

I live in a block of flats - about 100 flats in the block. We have recycling bins plus 6 huge bins for general waste. 

The amount of waste is nuts. 

During the covid lockdowns, one person must have been ordering a couple of pizzas every day, because some weeks there were a stack of pizza boxes about 10 high. I used to call them "the leaning towers of pizza".

Another of my neighbours gets a supermarket delivery containing dozens of cans of beer, that end up filling most of the recycling bin.

We have just received,  for the first time, a food recycling bin with an accompanying letter from the local council sayng food waste accounts for 30% of all waste*. 

As a household, we have very little food waste as we do a weekly meal plan and food shop and any veg left at the end of the week goes into a stir fry or salad.

People do a lot of online ordering, resulting in numerous cardboard boxes being thrown away.

------------------------------------------------------------

* My husband read the letter and sent an email off to the council saying maybe they are paying out too much in benefits if people can afford to waste food. 

-------------------------------------------------------------

Also during lockdown, because the tips were not fully open, many houses had little stalls outside their front door with items such as books and toys for people to take away for free. 

Maybe people will do that again, maybe even charging for items.

Sounds like no cost of living crisis to me. 

Democorruptcy

The bankers (AKA The Treasury) are happy for children to continue to die in mouldy flats:

John Glen, the chief secretary to the Treasury, has now stepped in to prevent DLUHC from signing off spending on any new capital projects, because of concerns about whether the department is delivering value for money.

Such interventions are typically reserved for departments about which the Treasury has particular financial concerns.

One government insider said the move was triggered by a speech Gove made in Manchester, on January 25, in which he announced £30mn to fund improvements to substandard housing. This came in the wake of an incident in Rochdale, when a two-year-old boy died after being exposed to extensive mould in his family’s flat.

“Michael sees that as an extremely important issue, but the Treasury insists on having control on how money is spent,” said one.

https://www.ft.com/content/ee18f02c-7fa5-4ddb-aa41-4dd67743548b

15 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Rubbish plus grass and weeds on the pavement and gutters is the thing I notice. Weekly bin collections now only happening at two weeks, remember those street cleaning lorries that used to clear the gutter drains? not seen one in years. Grass not being cut, it is happening, the whole shit show is starting to fall apart.

I find it quite depressing to be honest, almost inevitable.

We had a street sweeper machine come down our road just before Christmas. It did such a good job it removed most of the freshly laid tarmac on the pavement.

The council are refusing to re tarmac the pavement as it was only just done even though their machine fucked it up.

Now they want a council tax rise...

• Agree 1
  • Lol 6
  • Cheers 1

Bobthebuilder
11 minutes ago, Oskar said:

We had a street sweeper machine come down our road just before Christmas. It did such a good job it removed most of the freshly laid tarmac on the pavement.

The council are refusing to re tarmac the pavement as it was only just done even though their machine fucked it up.

Now they want a council tax rise...

Theres a council street cleaning yard near my house, everyday for years a bloke would turn up with his sandwiches and a newspaper to just sit in the yard all day. During convid he stopped turning up, hes never been back to this day, but I still see him walking about the local area during the day. I wonder if he has lost his job, or is still on the council pay roll doing fuck all. Meanwhile I have seen members of the public going around picking up litter, and while that is admirable they are doing, a job that the council are already paying someone not to do.

• Informative 1

Bobthebuilder
3 minutes ago, One percent said:

There’s reason to believe as every picture tells a story 

I think the story was, that he got fed up with the pot holes in his road, so decided to fill them himself, the local council said it breached some health and safety rules and threatened to fine him for doing it.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

28 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I think the story was, that he got fed up with the pot holes in his road, so decided to fill them himself, the local council said it breached some health and safety rules and threatened to fine him for doing it.

I was trying to make a quip out of his song titles. Looks like that fell flat. xD

• Lol 2

The local council has outsourced the green waste recycling bin collection.
Its collected on the same day that the council collect the normal household waste bin, in an almost identical bin lorry.

When it snows only one of the bins gets emptied, can you guess which one?

I'll give you a clue its the one you probably dont need emptied in the middle of winter but maybe every week in the summer if you have a garden?

• Agree 1

On 07/02/2023 at 21:34, One percent said:

It’s shocking given how much we are charged for council tax. It’s meant to be to provide services yet the charge keeps increasing whilst they withdraw services.  

Taxes up massively but services also down massively . No one taking your phone call anymore. Services that were included now extra charges. Not even don't the same job before for more money. Now it's less for more. Don't like it, can't afford it, they threaten you with Jail. We need the poll tax riots v2

Edited by 23rdian
  • Agree 8