DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 8)

spunko

Bobthebuilder
13 minutes ago, Harley said:

An example of it possibly being worth getting into the detail - like P11D benefits (why not since you're taxed on them!), patents (maybe applies to a certain poster or two!), redundancy payments (could be a biggy), etc.

I get money occasionally from royalties from records I have played on over the years, they are interesting because they can be classed as capital gains or income, bit of a grey line between the two.

• Informative 7
  • Cheers 3

Mandalorian
14 minutes ago, Harley said:

Furnished Holiday Lettings.  There's another thread expressing annoyance about the tax treatment, COVID bungs, etc for these (and their mark on local communities) so we can add this little tax benefit to that as well!

https://hartleypensions.com/pensions/sipp/contributions/

Relevant UK earnings means any one or more of the following types of income:

• employment income, such as: pay, wages, bonus, overtime, or commission and other P11D benefits.
  • income from self-employment or a partnership
  • redundancy payment above the £30,000 tax exempt threshold
  • income from a UK and/or EEA furnished holiday lettings business
  • patent income, where the individual alone or jointly devised the invention

An example of it possibly being worth getting into the detail - like P11D benefits (why not since you're taxed on them!), patents (maybe applies to a certain poster or two!), redundancy payments (could be a biggy), etc.

Full monty (if the latest): https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/pensions-tax-manual/ptm044100#earnings

What a joke

When I'm PM the entire tax code will fit on one side of A4 for personal and on the reverse for business.

• Agree 6
  • Cheers 2

Don Coglione
On 27/03/2024 at 13:25, Joncrete Cungle said:

The wife of one of the Romanians at work needs an operation. So highly do they think of the sainted NHS that she is going back to Romania for a couple of months for the operation and rehabilitation.

My Latvian colleague is pregnant; she's going back to Riga for the birth.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 3

belfastchild
16 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I get money occasionally from royalties from records I have played on over the years, they are interesting because they can be classed as capital gains or income, bit of a grey line between the two.

Dont know about music but certainly my royalties from copyright material and IP are classified as self employed income. They are all related to my current or previous jobs though.
One thing I did make sure of was that all that was included in my will as I dont have direct descendants. My solicitor had to go away and look it up!

• Agree 1

Bobthebuilder
7 minutes ago, belfastchild said:

Dont know about music but certainly my royalties from copyright material and IP are classified as self employed income. They are all related to my current or previous jobs though.
One thing I did make sure of was that all that was included in my will as I dont have direct descendants. My solicitor had to go away and look it up!

I had a payment not that long ago that was from someone buying the rights off someone else for an album I made in the 1980s, which a payment to the band was in the contract. Could have been classed as capital gains, but I took it as income and stuck it in my SIPP for the extra tax relief.

• Lol 3
  • Cheers 6

6 hours ago, headrow said:

I just want a quiet life and to be left alone....

Good luck with that.  If your needs were so special there'll be a taxi waiting outside! :o

• Lol 2

9 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

Bit of Tavi take

Screenshot_20240328_193117_X.jpg

Screenshot_20240328_193206_X.jpg

Looks like it's Newmont Price Share to Gold, which is a retarded metric (very fitting for Tavi's profile, ngl). I don't know what sharecount Newmont had in the 90s but I do know they basically doubled their count in 2018 overnight to buy Goldcorp. Share price only matters if you're a holder. For long-time comparison purposes it's useless.

Edit: looks like it was 0.2B in the early naughties, compared to 0.8B to now. And people dare to ask why mining stonks suck.

https://companiesmarketcap.com/newmont/shares-outstanding/

Edited by kibuc
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2
  • Lol 3

One percent
1 hour ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Ooh, ooh, can we guess?  My money is on drummer.   

• Lol 2
  • Cheers 1

One percent
45 minutes ago, belfastchild said:

Im open to being adopted.  :)

• Lol 1

38 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

Bit of Tavi take

Somebody's got a new set of crayons or summing? :wanker:

What justification is there for drawing that second turn?  Kuz feelings?

He may be right in the direction, but it won't be through such graffiti!

Edited by Harley
  • Love / Hugz 1
  • Lol 3

Bobthebuilder
15 minutes ago, One percent said:

Ooh, ooh, can we guess?  My money is on drummer.   

【としがある】 Gibson - gibson SG junior 2004 P-90 04 の通販 by leilou069's shop ...

• Informative 1
  • Lol 1
  • Cheers 2

One percent
4 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

【としがある】 Gibson - gibson SG junior 2004 P-90 04 の通販 by leilou069's shop ...

You are Brian May and ICMFP.  :)

M S E Refugee
45 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

Bit of Tavi take

Funnily enough I watched this yesterday and Craig Hemke is pretty scathing about Newmont and Barrick.

• Informative 3

Bobthebuilder
7 minutes ago, One percent said:

You are Brian May and ICMFP.  :)

I had a piss in a urinal next to Brian May, we said hello and I said "nice to meet you, but I am not shaking your fucking hand"

• Lol 10

Jesus Wept
11 hours ago, headrow said:

I'm sticking £20k in a cash ISA on the first day of the new tax year. I know there are loads of stocks yielding way more than the 4.45% I'll get from Barclays but I've decided I can do without the hassle of pouring over where to invest it. I'm sure I'm getting lazier as the days get longer:D

Put it in a S&S iSA and get 3.2% and wait for a crash.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, M S E Refugee said:

Funnily enough I watched this yesterday and Craig Hemke is pretty scathing about Newmont and Barrick.

Many years ago he had the nickname Turd Fergusson. I still get his TF metals report emails every Saturday morning, never read them these days perhaps I should unsubscribe xD 

• Lol 2

Lightscribe

I may of mentioned once or twice that I think we’ve started the bullrun… ;)

733352726.328077public.thumb.jpeg.9bc5892ee1891d0ae91be6074dbfc31c.jpeg

Edited by Lightscribe
  • Informative 2
  • Love / Hugz 5
  • Cheers 4

11 hours ago, Plan-b said:

Careful there young Pip I resemble that statement xD

From what you've said on here in the past you have done very well out of this country, and fair play to you for doing it! - You saw the game many years ago and set your stall out and with some luck and good judgement became a serial landlord and retired minted at 50 (Hoping to be correct here its all from memory).

The game has changed and unless you have the brains or connections to get a good job or something going your best way forward is to get your yourself on the Bennies and milk it for all it's worth, bang the kids out and keep going as long as you can and maybe have some side hustles.

It's the governments, lords, and the system that's really the problem they are the biggest workshy scroungers of all.

Agree…..it the game not the players. 

When I take over the world would change the game though 😉

• Lol 1
  • Cheers 1

Bien Pensant
8 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I had a payment not that long ago that was from someone buying the rights off someone else for an album I made in the 1980s, which a payment to the band was in the contract. Could have been classed as capital gains, but I took it as income and stuck it in my SIPP for the extra tax relief.

Probably did the right thing.

I would have thought that IP follows the general rule of 'income = fruit, capital = tree' and that, therefore, royalties would usually be income but the rights themselves capital.

However, it seems that courts have traditionally taken the view that basically anything you get for a copyright is income, on the basis that creating copyrights is an artist's 'profession or vocation' and, as such, all receipts therefrom should be treated as income under the old Schedule D (now Part 2 of ITTOIA 2005).

See BIM35725 and CG68250.

• Informative 3