DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Death Of London

spygirl

Austin Allegro
28 minutes ago, spygirl said:

SimilarBS. But its Mail, so expected.

Escape to the country! Estate agents see a 125% increase in people looking to relocate to villages amid the coronavirus work from home boom as the top rural hot spots being targeted by city dwellers are revealed

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8598011/Escape-country-Surge-city-dwellers-inquiring-homes-villages.html

Does raise some questions.

Wholl buy the house in the city?

Have they checked the broadband out?

What job will they do? And can they afford the commute?

Iver, Bucks - the area which benefits from the largest gypsy camp in Europe!

I can't think of a better place for Londoners to live.

• Agree 2
  • Lol 1

53 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Have they checked the broadband out?

What job will they do? And can they afford the commute?

Internet speed will have to improve.

Or not. Lol.

1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

Internet speed will have to improve.

Or not. Lol.

Some villages in the middle of nowhere gave great fibre broadband.

Some villages near quite large cities have totally shit connections.

Random.

Just now, spygirl said:

Random.

Rightmove does give you a clue I guess. I'll pay about more attention

30 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

Iver, Bucks - the area which benefits from the largest gypsy camp in Europe!

I can't think of a better place for Londoners to live.

Well thats. The m25 is a bit pikey 

Wight Flight
21 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Random.

Sadly I believe we have the fastest broadband in the UK down here.

I wish we didn't.

• Agree 1

In June there were almost 37,000 people in Guildford on Universal Credit - a rise of 148% since March

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53697256

London's commuter towns have seen the highest rate of people moving onto Universal Credit since the coronavirus lockdown began, BBC research has found.

Guildford, Stevenage and Hemel Hempstead have had disproportionate rises in people claiming the benefit.

Nearly 5.5 million people are now claiming benefits across Britain - an 81% increase since March.

Overlaps with When will house prices fall.

Anyone moving so soon to UC indicates theyve fuckall money saved. Remember most people will have been furloughed rather than laid off.

Insanely high HPto earnings -and London.//Se is over 15x, and large numbers of doleys does not mix.

I think covid has accelrated a nubmer of office changes and job restructuring that have been on the card for a number of years.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

On 06/08/2020 at 20:17, spygirl said:

Does raise some questions.

Wholl buy the house in the city?

Wholl buy the house in the city? - Chinese ex-pats (Hong Kong?)

6 minutes ago, snaga said:

Wholl buy the house in the city? - Chinese ex-pats (Hong Kong?)

HK rely on the gushes of money funnelled to n from China.

They have no other source of enterprise  beyond Chinese cash.

Beside, the HK are off to Canada or Oz.

stop_the_craziness
4 hours ago, spygirl said:

In June there were almost 37,000 people in Guildford on Universal Credit - a rise of 148% since March

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53697256

London's commuter towns have seen the highest rate of people moving onto Universal Credit since the coronavirus lockdown began, BBC research has found.

Guildford, Stevenage and Hemel Hempstead have had disproportionate rises in people claiming the benefit.

Nearly 5.5 million people are now claiming benefits across Britain - an 81% increase since March.

Overlaps with When will house prices fall.

Anyone moving so soon to UC indicates theyve fuckall money saved. Remember most people will have been furloughed rather than laid off.

Insanely high HPto earnings -and London.//Se is over 15x, and large numbers of doleys does not mix.

I think covid has accelrated a nubmer of office changes and job restructuring that have been on the card for a number of years.

I would imagine Stevenage is suffering more from the lack of "unofficial" economic activity that would have been going on during lockdown.  It has pretty significant links with London's drug and prostitution world.  So it might not be commuters being made redundant that are now claiming UC.

PatronizingGit
On 10/08/2020 at 16:21, stop_the_craziness said:

I would imagine Stevenage is suffering more from the lack of "unofficial" economic activity that would have been going on during lockdown.  It has pretty significant links with London's drug and prostitution world.  So it might not be commuters being made redundant that are now claiming UC.

Stevenage: City of Vice :D

• Lol 1

PatronizingGit
9 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Surely just cheaper to 'send them back'

Not that some Honduran cleaner was ever going to make a positive net tax contribution anyway...she's merely a taxpayer subsidized domestic appliance for our liberally minded betters.

• Agree 9

stop_the_craziness
30 minutes ago, spygirl said:

In Mr Khan's letter to Boris Johnson, he set out eight proposals which he said would ensure the West End could survive, including extending the business rates holiday beyond the end of March next year and creating a financial aid scheme for London's businesses.

Because that wouldn't set a precedent for businesses in the whole rest of the UK right?

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, The XYY Man said:

London is full of really horrible cunts.

So much so that the BBC have moved to Manchester...

XYY

How long have you been there?

This is a permanent change to policy. I expect most similar London businesses to do the same (they will have to to compete - otherwise staff will just move to the businesses that allow home working):

Schroders to allow thousands of staff to work from home in milestone for City

Blue-blooded fund manager Schroders is to allow thousands of staff to permanently work from home in a radical overhaul of its rules

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/08/14/schroders-allow-thousands-staff-work-home-milestone-city/

Edited by Errol
  • Agree 2

stop_the_craziness
10 minutes ago, Errol said:

This is a permanent change to policy. I expect most similar London businesses to do the same (they will have to to compete - otherwise staff will just move to the businesses that allow home working):

Blue-blooded fund manager Schroders is to allow thousands of staff to permanently work from home in a radical overhaul of its rules

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/08/14/schroders-allow-thousands-staff-work-home-milestone-city/

Never mind the private healthcare and onsite gym benefits - people are going to want to know if they can have 3-4 hours of their life back every single day.

• Agree 7

23 minutes ago, Errol said:

This is excellent news.

• Agree 3

It's hilarious that the Government and media appeared to think everything would just go back to how it was. They don't understand. Pandora's box has been opened. Loads of Firms are more productive or just as productive with everyone at home - and the employees have massively improved quality of life and more spare money/time.

Hammer blow for The City of London as investment firm Schroders allows thousands of staff PERMANENTLY work from home

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8630359/500bn-city-investment-firm-tells-staff-work-home-permanently.html

Edited by Errol
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

The Generation Game
1 hour ago, Errol said:

I bet they'll still have to live within 60-90 minutes of the office though. 

26 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

I bet they'll still have to live within 60-90 minutes of the office though. 

Most have no issue with that - you can be right in the middle of the countryside with a massively higher quality of life and only an hour by train from London.

Edited by Errol
  • Agree 1

It isn't going to come back. At least 50% of the workers who used to go into London every day are not going to be doing so in the future. No way to stop this now, so the Government and shops should be moving forward and planning for the new normal (i.e. footfall down by at least 50%).

'It's the worst I've ever seen': London’s West End struggles to bounce back

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/aug/15/its-the-worst-ive-ever-seen-londons-west-end-struggles-to-bounce-back-covid-19

Edited by Errol
  • Agree 5

7 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

Never mind the private healthcare and onsite gym benefits - people are going to want to know if they can have 3-4 hours of their life back every single day.

Until you do it, London commutes, needing trip to station, train, then tube swallow huge amounts of your time.

I did it for 6 months, then moved to West London. Even then I was spending too much time commuting. So I left.

It's hard enough going back to that routine after  2 weeks off. After 6 month I dont think many will bother - or have a good excuse to carry on working from home.

Wight Flight
37 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Until you do it, London commutes, needing trip to station, train, then tube swallow huge amounts of your time.

I did it for 6 months, then moved to West London. Even then I was spending too much time commuting. So I left.

It's hard enough going back to that routine after  2 weeks off. After 6 month I dont think many will bother - or have a good excuse to carry on working from home.

I recall my father doing it back in the early 80s

Left home at 6am, returned at 9pm on a good day.

Slept on the sofa for most of the weekend.

I never really know him until he resigned when I was 15. Diagnosed with terminal cancer two years later.

Sod that for a life.

• Agree 6
  • Informative 2

3 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I recall my father doing it back in the early 80s

Left home at 6am, returned at 9pm on a good day.

Slept on the sofa for most of the weekend.

I never really know him until he resigned when I was 15. Diagnosed with terminal cancer two years later.

Sod that for a life.

Out at 6.30. Back at 8.30.

Summer was hot n sweaty and a waste of a nice day.

Winter was suicidal- only saw Sun at dinner time.

And all the stress n shit n diesel fumes n sweaty armpits on the tubes.

• Agree 3