DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 5)

spunko

belfastchild
1 minute ago, Funn3r said:

That's what's happening. If telcos feel aggrieved then let them put their prices up and/or rejig their tariffs to penalise 24x7 Netflixers.

Thats the problem though, thats outside the ofcom remit currently. Its not just the end users but the inputs to the pipe.

Telcos want the legal ability to do what you say at the minute but cant.

Its more about 90% of the bandwidth in the UK being used by just 6 content providers, so either they pay for it or the customer does but ofcom/government has to decide who does. If the customer were to pay for it, forget about rpi + z increases it would be rpi x z

As the phrase goes, its time to shit or get off the pot and make a decision, ofcom have just passed the buck to the government as its not in their remit.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 3

Bobthebuilder
1 hour ago, Plan-b said:

So Neither GDX or GDXJ

are available to be bought on HL or AJBell (AJBell I was already aware of).

Whats changed? did I miss something whilst away?

I have an old Halifax ISA, loads of stuff not available on it, but I did buy GDXJ in September. Funny how some do allow trades, while others do not.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I have an old Halifax ISA, loads of stuff not available on it, but I did buy GDXJ in September. Funny how some do allow trades, while others do not.

Yep, I've got GDXJ in HL they'll let me hold it (for now) and sell some, but not buy any more.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, Starsend said:

I've also noticed some weird shit with road closures over the last year, like they've just given up and don't give a fuck anymore.

I've flown back into Gatwick twice, both times the roads are a fucking disgrace. One time, the M25 was down to one lane for miles and miles, the M4 was shut and the M3 was shut wtf. Who in their right mind would close the M4 and the M3 at the same time!

Locally I've noticed they now just shut main roads and don't bother putting diversion signs out causing absolute chaos.

One of my conspiracy theories this….

I drove home from playing football a distance of about 2 miles across town and there were 4 sets of full blown roadworks….all with nothing happening of course.I couldn’t avoid these because the side routes also had roadworks.

It’s been like this since lockdown stopped and never seen anything like this before and my theory is that’s it’s to make us all believe Britain is still busy (ie because traffic indicates busy) or they are just trying to keep cars off the road.

As for pot holes….I think the council are using them as a cheap alternative to speed bumps.  

Got my tin hat on today. Council fuckers. 😉

• Agree 3
  • Lol 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Pip321 said:

I drove home from playing football a distance of about 2 miles across town and there were 4 sets of full blown roadworks….all with nothing happening of course.I couldn’t avoid these because the side routes also had roadworks.

It’s been like this since lockdown stopped and never seen anything like this before and my theory is that’s it’s to make us all believe Britain is still busy (ie because traffic indicates busy) or they are just trying to keep cars off the road.

As for pot holes….I think the council are using them as a cheap alternative to speed bumps.  

It’s cable broadband going in that’s causing chaos on the houseing estates .well it’s mainly lilla internet they are nealy 20 a month cheaper than virgin and it’s faster 

• Informative 7

2 hours ago, jamtomorrow said:

ECU + piezo injectors + turbo looks increasingly like a liability in terms of supply-chain risk and/or ability to self-overhaul

bollox u can pick up that stuff dirt cheap......I'm even looking into some software so I flash my own ECU...

BM ECUs are like £15 off ebay :P

• Informative 1

31 minutes ago, Pip321 said:

To look busy, faux road bumps and to keep cars off the road and sometimes it's like roadworks are placed simultaneously on all the main routes out of a district  to deter travel between districts maybe to help local trader mates.

Placing cones and signs without any road digging probably also helps to give their road repair mates some council work just putting up the cones and signs.  That modus operandi also seems to be evidenced when councils use residents' council tax money to completely resurface lengths of previously perfectly satisfactory roads and don't repair nearby roads full of potholes. 

Edited by twocents
  • Agree 3

23 minutes ago, King Penda said:

It’s cable broadband going in that’s causing chaos on the houseing estates .well it’s mainly lilla internet they are nealy 20 a month cheaper than virgin and it’s faster 

Sounds like you might work for ‘them’…..don’t spoil my conspiracy theory. Without such theories the world reality is even worse 😆

Ps…yep agree, some cables, some utilities etc.👍🏻

• Lol 2

14 minutes ago, nirvana said:

fuk me the FED CUNTS are on medium now, lmfao xD

https://medium.com/@neelkashkari/why-we-missed-on-inflation-and-implications-for-monetary-policy-going-forward-fcd157e2ffcf

TLDR he's predicting a top for IRs at 5.4%

Why We Missed On Inflation AGAIN, and Implications for Monetary Policy Going Forward

They couldn't predict the inflation so for sure they can't predict future interest rates.

Edited by twocents

59 minutes ago, belfastchild said:

Thats the problem though, thats outside the ofcom remit currently. Its not just the end users but the inputs to the pipe.

Telcos want the legal ability to do what you say at the minute but cant.

Its more about 90% of the bandwidth in the UK being used by just 6 content providers, so either they pay for it or the customer does but ofcom/government has to decide who does. If the customer were to pay for it, forget about rpi + z increases it would be rpi x z

As the phrase goes, its time to shit or get off the pot and make a decision, ofcom have just passed the buck to the government as its not in their remit.

Effectively my own "ISP" is already segregating out the heavy streaming customers. I pay 45/month for VDSL with a 300GB data cap. For "typical" internet use such as web surfing you'd be hard pushed to hit that cap. Once you start on torrenting or 4k Netflix streaming though you're likely to bust through it and be paying for additional gigabytes of traffic. 

So that must be Ofcom-legal already.

• Informative 2

sancho panza
13 minutes ago, DurhamBorn said:

Looks a nice way to play doesnt it.Ok we arent leveraging the whole gains,but if we can capture some in solid companies its a big bonus.Not sure who the big baccy players are in the Middle East,BAT sold Iran i think.

Like you say you can't leverage the gains but then if you use an ETF quite often you're getting a lot of finacial market exposure you may not want.I try and get a few ADR's instead if we can but it's not perfect and you can't really spray n pray.

Hence I've always beena fan of using the Telco's to get exposure in places where Western investors would struggle forgood research.

Hence like Telefonica for it's South Amercia exposure,Orange as above and Sing Tel more generally for the Far East

Middle East is harder without going into specifics eg Etisalat 18th largest worldwide by subscribers, Zain, neither got an ADR but Vodafone has a presence in Qatar,UAE,Bahrain,and partnership agreements ina few more.

I thinkt eh Euro telcoms will rotate into these as willt eh US ones.

2 hours ago, Lightscribe said:

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/01/03/gold-surges-to-6-month-high-and-analysts-expect-new-records-in-2023.html

82DB6D24-93E1-4EDD-9DF4-58F6169135DE.thumb.jpeg.1679a3e6e8e0f9f3a864ba105576d47a.jpeg

FRES ticking up nicely.

Wheres all those naysayers on here berating buying FRES in the 600’s? ;)

Intersting assessment.I think CB buying is the tell here.

https://www.gold.org/goldhub/gold-focus/2022/12/central-banks-maintain-their-appetite-gold

image.png.f9d14280a3ec65d2514c2fa11b88939a.png

Meanwhile there are some big moves happening in the insto moeny sector ie $10bn + market cap-Newmont/Barrick/Anglogold/Franco/Agnico/Wheaton/GFI.Second day of solid gains

image.png.55ae245248bdcb6470dd383d7c4e49fc.png

• Agree 2
  • Informative 6
  • Cheers 3

geordie_lurch
15 minutes ago, Lightscribe said:

EE5C0343-CE23-4D22-AAF7-F700F8510D28.thumb.jpeg.886af3df9030596ab3e0fd57ddefb0a2.jpeg

First 50%er for me in the goldie’s is Harmony.

Me too - 52.77% so must have bought similar times although regretting only buying £1000 worth 9_9

Oilies could drop a fair bit lower from here it seems due to 'sentiment' it seems but I'm going to sit tight this time I think and await the divis whilst most of the majors continue their buy backs :Beer:

image.png.8c3fe6ce949778491a15c95a1ead03e5.png

Edited by geordie_lurch
  • Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

Petrobras features at nearly 5% of holdings in BRLA, so I guess a lot of folks here have a little slice already. I think there was some discussion previously about political risk for this one specifically (rather than Brazilian shares in general), but I don't remember the details of the discussion. That was why I didn't build a separate holding.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 4

1 hour ago, Pip321 said:

If you really believe that you are mental 😆 

• Lol 1

HousePriceMania
1 minute ago, RJT1979 said:

If you really believe that you are mental 😆 

Northants have a set of traffic lights on every corner.

I'd wager someone at the councils brother sells traffic lights.

• Agree 2
  • Lol 1

5 hours ago, Axeman123 said:

Villages could become essentially inacessable without at least a faux 4x4, with bigger wheels/ground clearance/suspension travel (eg 2wd Dacia Duster). Just a little bit more third world leaking in to our reality. This would presumably further stratify the countryside as a place for people with money. In time it might even become a parish council policy to keep council estate marauders in Vauxhall Corsas away (although Pikies tend to have off-roaders already). 

At some point we will probably start seeing actual permanent street signs appear acknowledging that this is the new officially accepted level of things. So for instance, "poor road surface, use at own risk" might become a common sight on less travelled B roads. Similar might appear next to pavements that are never going to be fixed, and perhaps "road prone to flooding" or "underpass prone to flooding" will get the same treatment. In effect: "We know its fucked, but we have no plans to fix it".

I think those road/pavement signs you predict will become the reality very soon. Local councils will not have the money to prioritise road repair.

In fact round here our pavements were resurfaced recently using a really rough and ugly asphalt mix which they just laid on top of the old asphalt and the finish is so un-evan puddles form after rain...  The crappy thing is the pavements were not bad to begin with, so (surprise, surprise) the council have just spent and wasted money to only make things worse!! 

However I think the North of England has been experiencing this kind of disrepair and running down of services for a long time. I visited Bootle near Liverpool in mid-90s and the condition of many of the roads was terrible, I thought at the time it seemed almost like something from a war film. 

Edited by JMD
  • Informative 1