DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 7)

spunko

3 minutes ago, Loki said:

If we get BTC futures it becomes just another spot price in the long list of manipulated spot prices

I thought BTC futures were already a thing?

• Agree 1

Democorruptcy

I know I'm not the only one sometimes stuck in a captcha loop, when trying to load archive.ph Today I realised that the problem only occurs on wifi at home. On mobile data it loads every time. No idea why.

• Informative 1

Democorruptcy
4 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

Looking at the smaller caps, the FTSE 250, you  would think that dividends would have at least covered the slide in the  index but the total return is down since the autumn of 2017 from 14,800 to 14,500. Six years of losing money with dividends.

The irony is that I remember the "experts" lauding the FTSE 250 back then as it powered through the 20,000 mark, in a similar vein to them lauding the Hang Seng in 2019 and advising to invest in both  indicies.   Both have since performed dreadfully. 

Meanwhile at least the FTSE 100 has given a modest return once you factor in dividends.

The problem with comparing the 250 and the 100, over that timescale is that some of the players have swapped sides? When a 100 player is doing badly he's relegated to 250. A 250 doing well is promoted to the 100. You always get the currently best performers in the 100. OK as long as your trades were timed to match relegation/promotion on some of them?

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, NogintheNog said:

So @Stuey can you tell us how we get that 'disorganised energy' of heat in the atmosphere back. I'm assuming that's the point you were making?

The sun is providing us useful heat and light all the time. Our CO2 release allows plants to grow from it and be eaten by animals (yumm yumm). 🐄

• Agree 2

54 minutes ago, Castlevania said:

I thought BTC futures were already a thing?

Have to admit I thought you needed an ETF to base futures contracts on but it looks like you're right 

2 hours ago, NogintheNog said:

One of the problems with Gold and Silver is people don't want to have the risk of the physical storage. Throughout history Decentralized Bearer Assets such as Gold and Silver have been stolen in heist after heist!

But I'd like someone to explain to me why you would hold a paper Bitcoin ETF when you can just hold Bitcoin?:Geek:

One advantage would be that you could hold it in an ISA or SIPP for the tax advantages.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

5 hours ago, wherebee said:

Surely dividend income ABOVE inflation is the goal for the next few years?  If I can get 5% in a bank, but 9% from BAT....

the 9% keeps my head above water a little bit longer?

That's always been my target but I'd have been way better off if I'd kept my VOD money sat in cash in my current account.

It would be an interesting comparison to see what 20k in a savings account returns compared to 20k in VOD which sits at 74p currently over the next 5 years. I've no idea if the current share price has actually factored in a dividend rerating , I suspect it hasn't  and that is currently setting a the floor in the share price. I can't see the upside.

I'm with them for broadband , currently paying less now than I was 5 years ago. Not good for an investor when we've supposedly had double digit inflation. 

Edited by headrow

I noticed in the results for Lloyds Banking Group today that they stated that a record amount of cash was being deposited into an ISA account. This is what the Asset Managers are up against now , the retail investor has left the stock market , no wonder their share price is struggling to find any floor.

Ashmore isn't far off the lows of 2008 , N91 just about it's all time low , Schroder's , Abrdn and Jupiter getting battered every day , in fact they are behaving like a penny share , getting whipped all over the place.

When does the money return?

• Agree 5
  • Informative 4

6 hours ago, ThoughtCriminal said:

I know you keeping caveating it by saying the Titanic (UK) will eventually change course and avoid the iceberg, but I keep wondering, there's has to be a point of no return surely? We can't just keep heading towards the metaphorical iceberg forever.

That's a good question. I think of it in terms of us (the West) not actually having to hit that metaphorical iceberg. Instead, once it becomes clear to TPTB that they have exhausted all realistic attempts at further can kicking - and them finally realising that the 'old' economic levers no longer work - the West's economic Titanic will be unceremoniously scuppered and sunk at sea! 

I don't know what form that sabotage takes. But it's probably more down to political timing, and who knows how the minds of TPTB work?! However I am worried about the current political war in Ukraine and the conflict that may be about to develop in the Middle East. Are those obvious and immediate alarm signals, or should other tools ideally also be in place before our economic vessel is finally holed below it's water line - such as CBDC's, or maybe because this is politically driven, our polos need to instil a more powerful narrative before embarking on their exploitative control and social change plans of the populus, including say being able to portray the emerging Global South as a existentially adversarial trading block of evil anti-Semites and climate-deniers?

Edited by JMD
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

7 minutes ago, Loki said:

Is there a 3x long ETF? (Asking for a friend)

I do like hyperbole and so i've added 'existential' to my post...  Therefore a 6x long (or would it be short?) ETF might be well worth a punt!!

Edited by JMD
  • Lol 1

6 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

Yes,it could be today,or ten years,life slowly getting worse and worse.Lots of things to change first.Less cars,more multi generational living etc.Retired public sector will also give leg ups to their children to enforce even more divide,using the tax of children not in that situation.The government know it,its why the cowards froze allowances,but that hits everyone.

In regards to things getting worse - the columnists Peter Hitchens has for a long time commented that our police force is pretty much useless - but recently I note that he has begun saying the police only remain in their jobs for their pensions. I wonder if he's been reading the thread?!

Edited by JMD
  • Agree 8
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Axeman123 said:

Could be as simple as requiring it to be held by a registered intermediary and all transactions reported, all self-custodied BTC becomes tainted after a certain date. While a segregated shadow economy for "dark" BTC would persist the permanent ledger feature would create two distinct BTCs, with no way to launder or rehabilitate the dark stuff. Think of having a million in fiat notes in a suitcase under your bed and how limited the opportunities to actually use it would be as an example. It would seem innevitable that an exchange rate differential would arise, with dark BTC trading at a discount.

Assuming the majority of BTC would end up held in a compliant manner (even 51% AIUI would work) then a fork of the blockchain could potentially invalidate all non-compliant BTCs. It would be an easy sell on the basis that most BTC has been stolen or used on the silk road to buy drugs etc at some point and a permanent record of this exists. The offer might be: Regularise your BTC with proof of legitimate funds for initial purchase and sort out any tax implications then all sins will be wiped, anyone that doesn't has conceeded guilt forfeiting the BTC. The constant push for proof of stake over proof of work would also advance this agenda if it suceeded, since Blackrock would end up holding an awful lot of it as ETF custodians etc giving them the voting rights (bit vague on the intricacies of POS tbf) much like with equity ETFs. I am sure Blackrock would also lobby to be able to buy large BTC holdings from approved individuals no questions asked, enabling them to launder grey BTC for politically connected people at a discount to spot.

I am leaning towards the idea that we haven't had the surreal manic rally that makes no sense yet. 

Just an observation on new etfs (having been there during their introduction)..... they tended to initially pump and then slump hard.  I always waited a year or so before buying.

Edited by Harley
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 6

2 hours ago, headrow said:

.....It would be an interesting comparison to see what 20k in a savings account returns compared to 20k in VOD which sits at 74p currently over the next 5 years. I've no idea if the current share price has actually factored in a dividend rerating , I suspect it hasn't  and that is currently setting a the floor in the share price. I can't see the upside......

I once reviewed the performance of a life interest trust where the capital was held in interest bearing accounts.  This was back in the day like now where you got paid interest!  I assumed the FTSE would have delivered a far better return over the 20 years.  But no, not really, even before an equity risk premium.

• Informative 3

Eventually Right
1 minute ago, DurhamBorn said:

Same as councils.Most of the public sector exists to give managers huge free pensions.The police are the worst of the lot,but not alone.The productive cannot sustain all of that and bennies.Polos wont changes the rules on them,so everyone else will suffer and suffer,its disgusting.

I always assumed they'd 'default' on the pensions by way of limiting increases to X percent under inflation.

There would be some grumbling, but there would still be a nominal year-on-year increase, and probably no protests etc.

The politicians have had the opportunity, with 10%+ inflation figures, but haven't done anything to limit pension/benefit rises...

Seems nuts, and/or a moral failure, as it puts the productive on the hook for it all.

• Agree 9

2 hours ago, Loki said:

Have to admit I thought you needed an ETF to base futures contracts on but it looks like you're right 

The ETF is "needed" as custodian of BTC to lend it out to traders, so they can dump it to slam the price and then cover cheaper.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1