DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 5)

spunko

35 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

To be fair, this is sounding an awful lot like the nutter conspiracy theorists in 2006/7…you know that Dr Michael Burry etc. 5 banks in 50 days and I would absolutely guess from experience if you ask any employee who works for any UK bank what they think they will all say their bank is too well managed and too big to fail. 

I think increasingly Gold is no longer an asset to make a few pound on…..but literally a 10% total asset hold to ensure should things get really bad at least we still have something in my pockets left.

If I can sell two properties this year…..one goes into stocks as per this thread (well technically repays debt which then allows me to be more aggressive and place my ‘offset cash’ into stocks). If I manage to sell a second it goes into a few tubes of coins.⚱️⚱️⚱️💰💰

Hopefully as predicted by some of the great links on this thread we make get a few bites of the cherry before PMs take off.🤔

• Agree 3
  • Informative 2
  • Cheers 1

23 hours ago, MrXxxx said:

1. Sunak’s inflation pledge

QUOTE: “New projections on Wednesday from both Capital Economics, the consultancy, and Citigroup, the investment bank, respectively put the rate for December 2023 at 3.7 per cent and 3 per cent, easily meeting the prime minister’s target.

In the Treasury’s monthly round-up of economic forecasts, also published on Wednesday, only four of 27 UK forecasters predicted that CPI inflation would exceed the government’s pledge and be above 5.4 per cent by the fourth quarter of this year.

The reason behind the rapid fall in the inflation rate is that by this summer, gas and electricity prices are set to be lower than last year, with wholesale gas prices falling almost 85 per cent since their peak last August"

So what does this mean going forward [and what is the government hoping/potentially ‘pushing’ for]?

CPI will be 5.4% by the 23Q4......but from what date?
On the ONS site the use 2015 as the point is Rishi Sunak measuring against? 2015 like the ONS, or form this time last year.

image.thumb.png.3bc2beda6b4cde0da7ec1b0c8625d86a.png

If he is saying CPI is going to be 5.4% in 2023Q4 compared to 2022Q4, all it means is the rate of inflation is less steep, but still going up. If it's using 2015Q1 as =100 like the ONS then we have delfation.

I think, can some one correct me if I'm wrong?

Inflation Rate  2015 = 100
2020Q1 1.8% 101.8
2020Q2 0.9% 102.7
2020Q3 1.1% 103.8
2020Q4 0.9% 104.8
2021Q1 0.9% 105.7
2021Q2 1.6% 107.4
2021Q3 2.1% 109.7
2021Q4 3.8% 113.8
2022Q1 4.9% 119.4
2022Q2 7.8% 128.7
2022Q3 8.8% 140.1
2022Q4 9.6% 153.5
2023Q1 8.8% 167.0
2023Q2    
2023Q3    
2023Q4 5.4%  
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2

One percent
1 minute ago, No One said:

CPI will be 5.4% by the 23Q4......but from what date?
On the ONS site the use 2015 as the point is Rishi Sunak measuring against? 2015 like the ONS, or form this time last year.

image.thumb.png.3bc2beda6b4cde0da7ec1b0c8625d86a.png

If he is saying CPI is going to be 5.4% in 2023Q4 compared to 2022Q4, all it means is the rate of inflation is less steep, but still going up. If it's using 2015Q1 as =100 like the ONS then we have delfation.

I

Nah, it means things will become cheaper again. At least that’s what the great unthinking will believe 

• Agree 2

Found a US divi type mutual fund in my 401k and no fee to purchase so going for this

https://investor.vanguard.com/investment-products/mutual-funds/profile/veirx#portfolio-composition

Top 3 holdings are Pfizer, Johnson & Johnson and Merck

Im starting to think Covid wasn’t a scam after all

make sure you get your vaccines and finasteride bodders!

keep up the good work

• Lol 1

ashestoashes
6 minutes ago, F150 said:

Found a US divi type mutual fund in my 401k and no fee to purchase so going for this

https://investor.vanguard.com/investment-products/mutual-funds/profile/veirx#portfolio-composition

keep up the good work

you could get money off your jabs, well done

• Lol 1

58 minutes ago, F150 said:

keep up the good work

Fin is off patent so big pharma makes nothing from it,bodders buy the cheap generic versions.Plus if it gives us erection problems sildenafil is off patent as well .

• Lol 4
  • Cheers 1

Joncrete Cungle

Martin Armstrong on Palisades Gold radio, I am only a couple of minutes in so far. Usually find MA interesting, covering Ukraine, International trade, inflation, war and energy scarcity and recession.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 4
  • Cheers 3

Virgil Caine
4 hours ago, Pip321 said:

To be fair, this is sounding an awful lot like the nutter conspiracy theorists in 2006/7…you know that Dr Michael Burry etc. 5 banks in 50 days and I would absolutely guess from experience if you ask any employee who works for any UK bank what they think they will all say their bank is too well managed and too big to fail. 

The failure of First Republic was triggered by the usual bank death spiral scenario seen in 2008 of an institution borrowing short at higher rates and lending long at lower rates. The Fed move in interest rates fucked the strategy particularly as First Republic seems to have failed to hedge the risk. The scenario caused a bank run in deposits and a collapse in share price which left the bank undercapitalised. I am not sure how far that runs across the entire banking system but in so far as bank withdrawals go people may potentially run out of institutions to where they can flee and US authorities have past form on making life difficult for the public to own physical gold. One thing to note is that all these Californian banks appear to have been doling out large loans in highly favourable terms to certain high net worth clients. Two thirds of its depositors had accounts worth above the FDIC limit which meant they were likely to run for the exit more quickly at the first sign of trouble than smaller deposits below the FDIC limit.

Edited by Virgil Caine
  • Agree 6
  • Informative 2

sancho panza
On 28/04/2023 at 19:02, Castlevania said:

I think the listed house builders learnt their lesson from the GFC. They have minimal debt nowadays. I think the margins will be crushed - a few years ago Persimmon were making 30% gross margins which is ridiculous.

I always find it amusing that of the listed house builders the one that built the nicest houses and operationally seemed to be the best run was Berkeley a company set up by a gypsy.

I'm not so sure.Here's their balance sheet from the 22 full years and you'll see they're sat on £3.5bn in inventory.I think there are issues with this in that they're not that liquid and they will liiekly already have booked substantial costs in building that inventroy(could aslo be building land but iirc building land moves at 3x the rate of change ot hosue prices).

ALso shifting it on at booked price coudl be difficult without the UK govt running its various stimulus packages

https://www.persimmonhomes.com/corporate/media/wiydfzzr/persimmon-annual-report-2022.pdf

image.thumb.png.d2180df43caabd03e89b75102f4a3478.png

Edited by sancho panza
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 6

11 hours ago, MrXxxx said:

I think this is the issue with a lot of universities now post-expansion, gone are the 'Hallowed halls' of critical thinking/thinkers. Now it's more about regurgitating the dogma, and any academic who tries to extend research thinking outside of this fails to get funding, as the funding panel if full of academics that uncritically follow the dogma and so refuse/reject the funding application.

It was like that decades ago.  Mostly Keynes, a bit of monetarism, no Austrian. 

• Informative 1

3 minutes ago, Harley said:

I had to attend some economic lectures as part of my courses (like a crossover thing).  The lecturer got very annoyed when I was asking questions which basically showed the theories were full of shit as far as the real world and human behaviours went.  I can't imagine it got better over the past 30 years.

• Agree 5
  • Lol 1

1 hour ago, wherebee said:

I had to attend some economic lectures as part of my courses (like a crossover thing).  The lecturer got very annoyed when I was asking questions which basically showed the theories were full of shit as far as the real world and human behaviours went.  I can't imagine it got better over the past 30 years.

This is one of the reasons im so glad i found this thread. Ive always been someone who likes to get involved and understand things properly and i tried taking that approach with my investing but i found it completely impossible to get any logical sense from economic textbooks, ft etc. It was obvious i was being bullshited. Imprecise language, obvious logical fallacies, key points ignored or glossed over. Its all Keynesian crap designed to keep us ignorant and poor. 

• Agree 9

Castlevania
2 hours ago, Harley said:

I studied at the business school as opposed to the economics department and they absolutely loved both the Austrian and Chicago school. I learnt a lot about Friedman, Schumpeter, Hayek etc. Not much on Keynes or monetarism.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 5